Can you recommend a good DVD player?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

Can you recommend a good DVD player?

Post by PeninsulaPerson »

We had a good DVD player that died.

Bought a new one about 8 years ago - a Samsung.

Hate it mostly because it has no indicator light on the front (or anywhere) to show if it's off or on. It's also very slow.

Can you recommend a good DVD player that has a light and (ideally) can play/hold a couple of DVDs?

I searched here but didn't see a thread on this. Also looked at Amazon but too many choices and most listings don't mention if there's a light or not.

Happy to pay a reasonable amount. On Amazon, saw everything from $29 to $998 so I am not sure what is a reasonable amount.

Do not want another Samsung unless you have one you just love.

Thank you for your recommendations (and saving me a ton of online searching!).
bob60014

Re: Can you recommend a good DVD player?

Post by bob60014 »

I wouldn't be too choosy. DVDs and DVD players are going the way of the dinosaurs and the manufacturers are not putting much effort into them.
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

bob60014 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:03 am
I wouldn't be too choosy. DVDs and DVD players are going the way of the dinosaurs and the manufacturers are not putting much effort into them.

All I really want is a light on the front and something that doesn't cost $1000 ... :wink:.

Also would be happy to save myself a lot of time going to Best Buy or doing Amazon/online searches for nothing. (Just can't/don't trust most Amazon/online reviews anymore. Do trust BHers' reviews & recommendations.)
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Playstation or Xbox. As DVD players are not as popular, a device that has other functions seems like a good deal. You have to buy a separate remote as the controller is clunky to use. Course you are paying an extra $400 dollars.
Or look at consumer reports.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Forum won’t let me add to my post.
Another option is the avs forum.
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/offici ... re.959985/
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

Best Buy has Sony Blu-Ray players for around $70. That seems reasonable to me.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-strea ... Id=4743200
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

If I read your post correctly, you want a DVD changer? "can play/hold a couple of DVDs". To my knowledge those haven't been manufactured for more than a decade, so you'll likely have to buy used or refurbished.

I'd also tackle the light independently, either with a cheap standalone light, or perhaps another component with a built in light. I have a Furman power conditioner that has pull-out lights for components below it. This isn't my model, but it gives you an idea:

02nz

Post by 02nz »

Either get a used one off of eBay, or buy a Blu-Ray player. These are commodity products, a Sony isn't better than a Samsung.
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

Tom_T wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:41 am Best Buy has Sony Blu-Ray players for around $70. That seems reasonable to me.

I have one similar to this one and it works fine although not much in the way of lights on the front. I don't think I paid even $70 for it.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

A lot of folks that have turned to streaming have given away their DVD collections along with their DVD players and changers.
I donated a bunch of stuff to a local "Savers" thrift store near me and decided to take a look inside - there were dozens of used DVD players. They had a place where you could try before buying but you can also return anything that doesn't work.
So, you could stop by a thrift store near you and probably pick one up for only a few dollars. (I think Savers is a national chain but there are others).
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

SmileyFace wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:28 am A lot of folks that have turned to streaming have given away their DVD collections along with their DVD players and changers.
I donated a bunch of stuff to a local "Savers" thrift store near me and decided to take a look inside - there were dozens of used DVD players. They had a place where you could try before buying but you can also return anything that doesn't work.
So, you could stop by a thrift store near you and probably pick one up for only a few dollars. (I think Savers is a national chain but there are others).

Thank you all for the thoughtful thoughts.

Especially getting a light box (!) and checking at Savers.

Most appreciated and I will check back in when I get something in case someone else is also wondering.

(As to people tossing DVDs, a young man we know assures me that people his age hate expensive streaming with tons of shows they don't watch and they want to watch "old, good movies" on DVD. I think he's one of a few but who knows - it sounds like vinyl records are making a bit of a comeback!)
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

Blu ray sales up 6% and 2023 and 20% in 2022. There is a contingent, and I am part of it, that values physical media. Of the highest quality when they can get it. I have a Sony DVD / Blu-ray player which also handles US and international encoding standards

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/4k- ... t%20Group.
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

Hebell wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:17 am
Blu ray sales up 6% and 2023 and 20% in 2022. There is a contingent, and I am part of it, that values physical media. Of the highest quality when they can get it.

That's what I have heard.

Especially the valuing physical media part!
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Too bad you don't live near me. I think we have at least 4 DVD players and most are never used since it is just too inconvenient to load it, watch the stupid FBI warning and/or ads before it gets to the show. My wife uses the one in the gym a bit for workout videos. We also have one that also has a VCR slot for those oldies.

Just been too lazy to get rid of them. I guess if the internet goes out, it will come in handy :)
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

PeninsulaPerson wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:13 am (As to people tossing DVDs, a young man we know assures me that people his age hate expensive streaming with tons of shows they don't watch and they want to watch "old, good movies" on DVD. I think he's one of a few but who knows - it sounds like vinyl records are making a bit of a comeback!)
But you can stream a lot of "good old movies" for free provided you are okay with ads. There are quite a few free streaming channels these days. You can also, perhaps, sign up for free movies through your Library which might partner with Kanopy or similar.
Also - as a young man - he and his freinds are certainly in the minority - Netflix and other paid streaming services are breaking new records in the number of subscribers they have. A lot of younger folks also just stream movies off YouTube.
We still have a DVD player but I am usually too lazy to use it - easier to stream than to grab the movie from the shelves and put it in the player. Haven't gotten rid of them all yet though.
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

SmileyFace wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:26 am
But you can stream a lot of "good old movies" for free provided you are okay with ads.

I am not a "TV person" myself and could care less if all I used the TV for was to play fireplace You-Tubes.

Alas, my husband loves his movies very-very-very much. I have "commanded" him (:wink:) to not buy any more DVDs and gotten nowhere at all. Now he has a jones for the Criterion Collection ... :greedy :greedy :greedy.

It is too bad that it's difficult enough to find a machine that has an on/off light ... :annoyed.

(I looked up that sequencer and cannot tell exactly what it costs or how it works. Looks like a helpful tool for serious audiophiles tho'! There is a Savers about 30 minutes from me. Sounds like a possibility.)
Last edited by PeninsulaPerson on Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

PeninsulaPerson wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:31 am
But you can stream a lot of "good old movies" for free provided you are okay with ads.

I am not a "TV person" myself and could care less if all I used the TV for was to play fireplace You-Tubes.

Alas, my husband loves his movies very-very-very-very much. I have "ordered" him (:wink:) to not buy any more DVDs and gotten no where at all. Now he has a jones for the Criterion Collection ... :greedy :greedy :greedy.
When you go to Savers to look for a DVD player you can also buy him some new DVDs too then.
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

SmileyFace wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:34 am
PeninsulaPerson wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:31 am

Alas, my husband loves his movies very-very-very-very much. I have "ordered" him (:wink:) to not buy any more DVDs and gotten no where at all. Now he has a jones for the Criterion Collection ... :greedy :greedy :greedy.
When you go to Savers to look for a DVD player you can also buy him some new DVDs too then.

God help me! If my husband is with me, I am sure he will find some. Our library has a "free" section and he gets some there. And he buys whatever he wants - which is fine. His only "thing". Some of the movies are quite interesting. We have started watching one every Sunday night - so the DVDs don't just sit on shelves. Last one was one with Kirk Douglas I had certainly never even heard of! Man, how come there are no Kirk Douglas-type actors around anymore - actors who sort of compel one to watch them!
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

I curate my movies on Letterboxd where I also keep a watch list.

I rent 90% of our DVDs from the library. (Which has an incredible collection, simply unbelievable, over the years) DVDs have no ads, plus they often have bonus material which is interesting.

The rest of the time we watch our blu-rays, and the collection is building.

Using physical media keeps you from binge watching, or watching crap on streaming networks. This way you can plan ahead for the week what you want to watch. I also make sure to intersperse genres. So we watch a mystery than a comedy, in science fiction then horror, then drama, etc
Last edited by Hebell on Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
student

Post by student »

rich126 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:21 am Too bad you don't live near me. I think we have at least 4 DVD players and most are never used since it is just too inconvenient to load it, watch the stupid FBI warning and/or ads before it gets to the show. My wife uses the one in the gym a bit for workout videos. We also have one that also has a VCR slot for those oldies.

Just been too lazy to get rid of them. I guess if the internet goes out, it will come in handy :)
I also have a few DVD, DVR and VCR in my closet. I only managed to give one or two away.
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

Hebell wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:44 am
Using physical media keeps you from binge watching, or watching crap on streaming networks.

Absolutely!

Absolutely!

We have signed up for a month of streaming here and there. Usually for a specific program but we also did Disney and Netflix just to see what was there. So much is there - so little to watch really! I get that others love streaming. To me, there is just not enough "there" there for the price and yet another thing to "manage" in life.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

I've been buying more physical media over the last year than I have in the past five. The problem is that stuff I want to watch is either not available on a streaming service or it's only available with ads. I'd rather pay for the physical media to avoid the ads. I also like a lot of the work being done to bring stuff to 4K with new scans. Lost Boys looks fantastic. I also like being able to watch stuff that leaves streaming services.

Ever want to watch something and find that's not available digitally anywhere?

If you play games, I'd recommend either the latest xbox or playstation. If you don't play games, I'd buy a higher end Panasonic for 4K. I haven't seen multidisc players in a long time. Check out the VideoHelp forum. Maybe they might know where you can find one. It's my go to source for information other than Doom9 for video related questions. I wouldn't waste money on a DVD player when everything is up to 4K and a 4K player will play DVDs and Blu Rays just fine.

Also, if you buy digital content, it might not be around in the future: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/12 ... libraries/

I'd rather have a physical release that won't disappear unless I lose it.
FatefulTanker

Post by FatefulTanker »

Conch55 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:01 am
Tom_T wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:41 am Best Buy has Sony Blu-Ray players for around $70. That seems reasonable to me.

I have one similar to this one and it works fine although not much in the way of lights on the front. I don't think I paid even $70 for it.
I have Sony players too. Just a single tiny light on the front to let you know it's on. I have a 4K UHD Sony as well as one similar to the best buy one above.

I've always trusted cnet A/V reviews. They recommend a Sony blu-ray player. Its review is from 2016 so there isn't much new going on here. Some have wifi, some have a cdmi cable it that matters. All of them are most likely HDMI only.

If you have a TV over 32" or so, you will see a lot of improvement with blu-ray disks over DVD and some of your DVDs (not all) might look better too.
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

If there is a goodwill superstore near you, they likely will have dozens of them for $5-10, often on a shelf with a power source for testing.

A new/newer Bluray player may have an embedded app for streaming.
FatefulTanker

Post by FatefulTanker »

student wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:45 am
rich126 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:21 am Too bad you don't live near me. I think we have at least 4 DVD players and most are never used since it is just too inconvenient to load it, watch the stupid FBI warning and/or ads before it gets to the show. My wife uses the one in the gym a bit for workout videos. We also have one that also has a VCR slot for those oldies.

I also have a few DVD, DVR and VCR in my closet. I only managed to give one or two away.
My wife's workout videos are on VCR. The last VCR was starting to fail and my friend sold me his three at his yard sale about 10 years ago. Price was $20 for one or 3 for $18 :happy. At least two of them are still working so hopefully I'm set for life.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

In my opinion all DVD players are equivalent. If you have some specific requirement (lights, no lights, physical size) your best bet is to go to an actual store. It could even be a Walmart.

I think new multi-DVD players are virtually nonexistent. I have been haunting estate sales looking for a 300-DVD player, but so far no joy.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

PeninsulaPerson wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:13 am
SmileyFace wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:28 am A lot of folks that have turned to streaming have given away their DVD collections along with their DVD players and changers.

Thank you all for the thoughtful thoughts.

Especially getting a light box (!) and checking at Savers.

Most appreciated and I will check back in when I get something in case someone else is also wondering.

(As to people tossing DVDs, a young man we know assures me that people his age hate expensive streaming with tons of shows they don't watch and they want to watch "old, good movies" on DVD. I think he's one of a few but who knows - it sounds like vinyl records are making a bit of a comeback!)
Vinyl records are now outselling CDs!
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

In my local Craigslist you will find them for sale like this one:

https://westernmass.craigslist.org/ele/ ... 38834.html

Panasonic DVD player A110 - $30 (West Stockbridge)

In impeccable operational and cosmetic condition. Can be used as a stand-alone CD player as it has one headphone output and volume control in front. Has 2 digital outputs for audio (coaxial and optical). Remote, handbook included as well as one monster s-video cable and RCA cables. After more than 20 years of use I have no complaints about this DVD player as it continues to work flawlessly. Selling as I upgraded to BR.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Horologium

Post by Horologium »

We still watch movies on DVD. Our 15 year old DVD player just died a few months ago. I replaced it with a top-rated model from Sony (the UBPX700M). I got it from Walmart. I think it was about $150.

N.B.: After having some issues, I replaced the old cables as well. A lot of movies these days are 4K and UHD. The Sony player could play them, but the cables needed to be upgraded.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Hebell wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:17 am Blu ray sales up 6% and 2023 and 20% in 2022. There is a contingent, and I am part of it, that values physical media. Of the highest quality when they can get it. I have a Sony DVD / Blu-ray player which also handles US and international encoding standards

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/4k- ... t%20Group.
The other bit that you'll find is that it's still very popular in Germany. I'm finding amazon.de is my go to place to get Blu Ray releases that I can't get in the US. They also do a better job on their releases as well.

For US stuff, you're best to avoid VEI. You can read the poor reviews: https://www.blu-ray.com/ I had to track down an earlier release of Stargate Atlantis for the better audio. And while I really want to buy their Wise Guy release, they didn't bother to do minimum clean up work on it. https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Wiseguy- ... 36/#Review

The 4K player to get with no budget constraints is: https://www.avforums.com/reviews/panaso ... iew.15435/ or if budget is an issue, then: DP-UB820EB. And that unit will set you back about the cost of a xbox or playstation anyway.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Since you will be using it a lot, I recommend a good player like a Cambridge Azur. The sound quality is great, very listenable and natural and very reliable too. I have 2 of them and an Oppo. (Oppo is out of business, but their used equipment is still popular and available.)

This is for a Cambridge 752BD.

https://www.newaudiovideo.com/index.php ... s_id=11751

If you like movies (or older TV shows), DVDs are great because of all the extras on the disc you don't often get with streaming services.
And I have watched a lot of live concerts and other music videos on DVD. These are great for all sorts of music. They only way to get this content is on DVD.

If you have some favorite movies (or TV things) that are dear to your heart, check out the DVDs for them and see how much great extra content there is, like deleted scenes, directors. cuts, historical info, etc. I found this fascinating for some favorite things.

Some of this is on youtube, but it's harder to get at and also the sound and video quality on disc is much better.
I know this is not what the OP is asking about, but I felt that anyone reading this thread might be interested.

Many people dismiss DVDs as archaic, but there is reason to seek them out because streaming services just give you the basics and you don't know what you are missing.
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

rgs92 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:51 am
If you like movies (or older TV shows), DVDs are great because of all the extras on the disc you don't often get with streaming services.
And I have watched a lot of live concerts and other music videos on DVD. These are great for all sorts of music. They only way to get this content is on DVD.

If you have some favorite movies (or TV things) that are dear to your heart, check out the DVDs for them and see how much great extra content there is, like deleted scenes, directors. cuts, historical info, etc. I found this fascinating for some favorite things.

Some of this is on youtube, but it's harder to get at and also the sound and video quality on disc is much better.
I know this is not what the OP is asking about, but I felt that anyone reading this thread might be interested.

Many people dismiss DVDs as archaic, but there is reason to seek them out because streaming services just give you the basics and you don't know what you are missing.

Totally agree!

I tease my husband but I have seen a lot of great movies and features thanks to his interest in them.

Thanks to all for the huge range of good ideas for me to follow up on. And so quicky! Very much appreciated.
FireOne

Post by FireOne »

I use a DVD player and will be sad when it breaks. Only use we have for it now is for playing my workout DVDs (p90x, P90x3, T25 and others). I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $200-300 a year forever to play the same videos I purchased. But yeah even my local used book store has stopped selling work out dvds
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Don't know if you have a local Freecycle in your area but here is an example of one offered for free in my area:

OFFER: Magnavox Blue Ray DVD Player
Model Number MBP5120F. Excellent condition.
gunny2

Post by gunny2 »

PeninsulaPerson wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:50 am Happy to pay a reasonable amount. On Amazon, saw everything from $29 to $998 so I am not sure what is a reasonable amount.
Only a complete fool would pay more than $100 for a new DVD player if that. And these days really there's little if any diff in brand quality, although I've had my Sony for almost 20 yrs and still going strong FWIW (although I use it very little these days).

I am looking at rebuilding my DVD collection somewhat though - you can get many things cheaply and I love that you buy it once and you can watch it as much as you want forever, no additional charge. Streaming you have to keep paying every month and you own nothing. Plus there are so many things that streaming services don't have because they aren't big sellers/attractions.
Last edited by gunny2 on Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
safari

Post by safari »

Get a blu-ray player instead of a DVD player. A blu-ray player can also play DVDs.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

My Sony UBP-X800 has a front LED light.
I would prefer it didn't, as I use a projector setup.
It is an excellent player. Don't tell your husband about SACD and DVD-Audio. This is one of the few players to support them both.
It looks like the UBP-X800M2 is out.
The main downside is the price. Currently about $300. I paid $180 for mine in 2017. Some inflation.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

I have a SAMSUNG UBD-M8500/ZA 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player I got off of Amazon it 2017. Seems it is still being offered. It is expensive at $223. That's $60 more than I paid for it in 2017.

IT HAS A POWER LIGHT ON THE FRONT that is red when plugged in but not operating and green when in use.

While looking that up I ran across Panasonic Blu Ray DVD Player with Full HD Picture Quality and Hi-Res Dolby Digital Sound, DMP-BD84P-K, Black

It's picture shows a little red power light and is much cheaper at $78.

There are many more on Amazon. Some of them advertise "region free" and I would consider that if I was in the market for one.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
the_wiki

Post by the_wiki »

Any brand name blu ray player will handle DVD just fine. They are quite cheap used, or often free as most people just stream now.
AlohaBill

Post by AlohaBill »

Walmart and Best Buy have 4k blu ray players . Sony and Panasonic are available. I have a 4k LG UHD Blu-ray player that is excellent. Unfortunately, I think LG has gotten out of the Blu-ray player business. I have a large collection of dvds. I also take out dvds from the library weekly. We also watch Netflix, Disney+, Paramount, HBO max, etc. As we are aging, we watch a lot of television. Unfortunately, our 55 " LG tv is getting smaller and we need to upgrade to a 65". I am waiting for my wife to go out shopping and I’ll try to sneak in a new LG OLED. Hopefully, she won’t notice. :D
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

gunny2 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:30 pm
PeninsulaPerson wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:50 am Happy to pay a reasonable amount. On Amazon, saw everything from $29 to $998 so I am not sure what is a reasonable amount.
Only a complete fool would pay more than $100 for a new DVD player if that. And these days really there's little if any diff in brand quality, although I've had my Sony for almost 20 yrs and still going strong FWIW (although I use it very little these days).

I am looking at rebuilding my DVD collection somewhat though - you can get many things cheaply and I love that you buy it once and you can watch it as much as you want forever, no additional charge. Streaming you have to keep paying every month and you own nothing. Plus there are so many things that streaming services don't have because they aren't big sellers/attractions.
I built up my CD / DVD collection big-time in 2012!

I went to a store that was having a sale of $1 for each CD / movie DVD.

I spent 7 hours selecting them and then another hour twice counting them.

Ended up spending $1,400 on 1,400 CDs / DVDs.

However, the store owner annoyed me to no end when he refused to offer me any kind of discount. I know I bought a lot of things that no one else but a collector like myself would buy. Much of what I bought was not going to be bought by anyone.

I'm still so annoyed with his refusal that 12 years later I've not bought anything else from him even though he continues to run these $1 sales. Part of is also that I have enough CDs and DVDs!
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

bertilak wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:12 pm I have a SAMSUNG UBD-M8500/ZA 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player I got off of Amazon it 2017. Seems it is still being offered. It is expensive at $223. That's $60 more than I paid for it in 2017.

IT HAS A POWER LIGHT ON THE FRONT that is red when plugged in but not operating and green when in use.

While looking that up I ran across Panasonic Blu Ray DVD Player with Full HD Picture Quality and Hi-Res Dolby Digital Sound, DMP-BD84P-K, Black

It's picture shows a little red power light and is much cheaper at $78.

There are many more on Amazon. Some of them advertise "region free" and I would consider that if I was in the market for one.
What is "region free"?

Vinny
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

AlohaBill wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:28 pm Walmart and Best Buy have 4k blu ray players . Sony and Panasonic are available. I have a 4k LG UHD Blu-ray player that is excellent. Unfortunately, I think LG has gotten out of the Blu-ray player business. I have a large collection of dvds. I also take out dvds from the library weekly. We also watch Netflix, Disney+, Paramount, HBO max, etc. As we are aging, we watch a lot of television. Unfortunately, our 55 " LG tv is getting smaller and we need to upgrade to a 65". I am waiting for my wife to go out shopping and I’ll try to sneak in a new LG OLED. Hopefully, she won’t notice. :D
Two !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One for: our 55 " LG tv is getting smaller

The other for: ’ll try to sneak in a new LG OLED. Hopefully, she won’t notice
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

AlohaBill wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:28 pm
Walmart and Best Buy have 4k blu ray players . Sony and Panasonic are available. I have a 4k LG UHD Blu-ray player that is excellent.

Thanks again to everyone for the recommendations and the specific advice (Blu-ray idea and model numbers). Very helpful to be able to shop with more confidence!
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

vnatale wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:05 pm What is "region free"?

Vinny
DVDs are region coded:

Region 1: U.S., U.S. Territories, Canada, and Bermuda.
Region 2: Japan, Europe, South Africa, Egypt, and the Middle East.
Region 3: Southeast Asia, East Asia including Hong Kong.
Region 4: Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, South America, and the Caribbean.

Most DVD players will only play discs from the region in which they're sold. "Region free" players ignore the region coding on the disc and will play anything. You still may have some issues with format (PAL vs NTSC, for example) in certain cases, but they will play regardless. Region 0 discs will play in players with any region code.

Blu-Rays are also region coded, but differently:

Region A: North America, South America, U.S. Territories, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, and other areas of Southeast Asia.
Region B: Europe, Africa, Middle East, Australia, and New Zealand.
Region C: Asia (except for Japan, Korea, Taiwan, and other areas of Southeast Asia)

Similar story here, though unlike DVDs where Region 0 discs are relatively uncommon, Region ABC Blu-Ray discs (which will play in any player) are quite common. So while region-free players are still a thing, it's less necessary for Blu-Ray discs.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

lazydavid wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:56 am ...
Similar story here, though unlike DVDs where Region 0 discs are relatively uncommon, Region ABC Blu-Ray discs (which will play in any player) are quite common. So while region-free players are still a thing, it's less necessary for Blu-Ray discs.
Good info. I was not aware of that.

Most (all?) Blu-Ray devices also play DVDs so maybe "region free" for DVDs also applies to DVDs played by a Blue-Ray device. Any insights here?
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
chinchin

Post by chinchin »

bertilak wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:03 am
lazydavid wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:56 am ...
Good info. I was not aware of that.

Most (all?) Blu-Ray devices also play DVDs so maybe "region free" for DVDs also applies to DVDs played by a Blue-Ray device. Any insights here?
A blu-ray player won't be able to play a region locked DVD
not financial advice
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

chinchin wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:14 am ...
Just to be clear ,,, even on a Blu-Ray player advertised as "region free?" Perhaps a more careful reading of the specs or advertising copy will answer that. Perhaps the answer will be different for different Blu-Ray players.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

bertilak wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:03 am Most (all?) Blu-Ray devices also play DVDs so maybe "region free" for DVDs also applies to DVDs played by a Blue-Ray device. Any insights here?
I would expect that region free Blu-Ray players are also region-free for DVDs, but don't know for sure.

I should also add we're talking on the fringes here. If you don't buy movies from overseas distributors, region locking will never impact you. Everything you will buy from nearly all US retailers will be Region 1/A and will work fine on whatever player you have. Anything from a different region will usually be extremely well-marked.

In 30+ years of buying DVDs and Blu-Rays, I've only ever gotten one set that was Region 2. That was the TV series "Spooks" (broadcast here as "MI5"), which I ordered from amazon.co.uk. I did not have a region-free player, so I ripped them on my computer and burned them to DVD-R as Region 0.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

bertilak wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:28 am
chinchin wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:14 am ...
Just to be clear ,,, even on a Blu-Ray player advertised as "region free?" Perhaps a more careful reading of the specs or advertising copy will answer that. Perhaps the answer will be different for different Blu-Ray players.
I did a little of my own sleuthing. On Amazon I found Sony Region Free UBP-X800M2 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player UHD Multi Region Blu-ray DVD, Region Free Player 110-240 Volts, HDMI Cable & Dynastar Plug Adapter Package

Which explicitly states
  • REGION FREE VERSION - NO RESTRICTIONS: PLAY UHD 4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY, PLAYS BLURAY REGION A, REGION B, & REGION C & PLAYS standard DVDs from ANY REGIONS 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
There may be others but I am not motivate to hunt them down. A very informative review points out ...
  • Manufacturers (Sony, Panasonic, etc.) do NOT sell "region free" players. All those available on Amazon have been modified by third parties to allow multi-region function.
  • The third parties tack on a large extra charge, perhaps doubling the price.
  • Tech support and warrantees are a bit fuzzy.