Why not 100% PSLDX? [PIMCO StocksPLUS Long Duration Fund]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
OuterBanks

Re: Why not 100% PSLDX? [PIMCO StocksPLUS Long Duration Fund]

Post by OuterBanks »

I like to track intraday EDV to estimate the bond portion of PSLDX and boy is it up today.
OuterBanks

Post by OuterBanks »

In search of finding an estimate of how PSLDX is doing intraday. The best I’m able to find is adding both TLH (iShares 10-20 Year Treasury Bond ETF) + S&P 500 index together. Today they were -0.50% + 0.17% = -0.33% and PSLDX is reporting -0.36%, so its not perfect but close.
manlymatt83

Post by manlymatt83 »

OuterBanks wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:57 pm In search of finding an estimate of how PSLDX is doing intraday. The best I’m able to find is adding both TLH (iShares 10-20 Year Treasury Bond ETF) + S&P 500 index together. Today they were -0.50% + 0.17% = -0.33% and PSLDX is reporting -0.36%, so its not perfect but close.
I find this to be accurate:

35% UPRO
20% EDV
45% BLV
Invest2027

Post by Invest2027 »

I could not find any updates on the interwebs :happy but It looks like the March div for PSLDX will post today.
PSLDX dropped from 17.21 to 16.48, a substantial decline of $0.73.
However, stock trackers only show a drop of $0.26. This probably indicates a dividend pay out for March of $0.47 per share.
While predictions are hard especially about the future the outlook for PSLDX seems bright given the increasing likelihood of Fed rate cuts later this year.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. | Herm Albright 1876-1944
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

Yes, I am still looking for that dividend announcement! They don’t get in a hurry with communicating.
This time is the same
Stubbie

Post by Stubbie »

firebirdparts wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:47 am Yes, I am still looking for that dividend announcement! They don’t get in a hurry with communicating.
Didn't see an announcement but saw the distribution in my Schwab account this morning.
LifeAquaticTenenbaum

Post by LifeAquaticTenenbaum »

Website confirms $0.47/share!
Lawyered_

Post by Lawyered_ »

What do people think of the question, "Why not 50% PSLDX?". Essentially I propose using PSLDX as a replacement of the US large cap equities in a portfolio. E.g. instead of 60% VTI and 40% VXUS; one may run 50% PSLDX; 10% AVUV; and 40% VXUS, rebalanced something like quarterly, which results in a similar portfolio, but with the return stacking of the 40% longer term bonds on top for a 100/50 portfolio. Seems to be that such a portfolio is highly likely to outperform 100% VT or 60% VTI; 40% VXUS over a long period of time.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

Lawyered_ wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:18 pm What do people think of the question, "Why not 50% PSLDX?". Essentially I propose using PSLDX as a replacement of the US large cap equities in a portfolio. E.g. instead of 60% VTI and 40% VXUS; one may run 50% PSLDX; 10% AVUV; and 40% VXUS, rebalanced something like quarterly, which results in a similar portfolio, but with the return stacking of the 40% longer term bonds on top for a 100/50 portfolio. Seems to be that such a portfolio is highly likely to outperform 100% VT or 60% VTI; 40% VXUS over a long period of time.
Yes to this.

The "100% thread" is the onliest thread we've got to discuss PSLDX in, so we do. I count it as large cap. I don't know that anybody who's active in this thread actually has 100% PSLDX.
This time is the same
bgf

Post by bgf »

firebirdparts wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:19 pm
Lawyered_ wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:18 pm What do people think of the question, "Why not 50% PSLDX?". Essentially I propose using PSLDX as a replacement of the US large cap equities in a portfolio. E.g. instead of 60% VTI and 40% VXUS; one may run 50% PSLDX; 10% AVUV; and 40% VXUS, rebalanced something like quarterly, which results in a similar portfolio, but with the return stacking of the 40% longer term bonds on top for a 100/50 portfolio. Seems to be that such a portfolio is highly likely to outperform 100% VT or 60% VTI; 40% VXUS over a long period of time.
Yes to this.

The "100% thread" is the onliest thread we've got to discuss PSLDX in, so we do. I count it as large cap. I don't know that anybody who's active in this thread actually has 100% PSLDX.
Not me, though it is 100% of an old IRA. I plan to just let it roll on.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"
LearnFin

Post by LearnFin »

Why do folks get excited every time that PSLdX declares a dividend? Each dividend reduces the net asset value / share price , creating no net gain the account balance, when those dividends are reinvested.

So, what’s the point in tracking these dividends?
JamesDean44

Post by JamesDean44 »

LearnFin wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:56 pm Why do folks get excited every time that PSLdX declares a dividend? Each dividend reduces the net asset value / share price , creating no net gain the account balance, when those dividends are reinvested.

There is no reason to get excited, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone excited. Some folks presumably notice the dividend when the NAV significantly drops and are relieved to realize it was a dividend rather than a drop in value.
Bosro

Post by Bosro »

Maybe I’m wrong, but I believe the vast majority of the returns are thrown off as dividends. So yes, there is a reason to be excited for big dividends as the nav price stays relatively flat. Higher dividends equal higher return. Also why it’s not advised to hold this fund in a taxable account.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

LearnFin wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:56 pm Why do folks get excited every time that PSLdX declares a dividend? Each dividend reduces the net asset value / share price , creating no net gain the account balance, when those dividends are reinvested.

I don’t know these folks. I don’t know why they’re excited.
This time is the same
BullHouse_BearMarket

Post by BullHouse_BearMarket »

If there is excitement, I believe it is because after the price drops from the dividend, if you reinvest it buys in at that lower price. The NAV tends to go back up to where it was within a week or so. So if you reinvest the dividends, you see immediate value growth. So while the NAV stays relatively stable, in the long run your value continues to grow. Take this most recent distribution. Dividend on 3/14 at $16.48. Dividend was reinvested on 3/15 at $16.35. Current price is $16.57 after the last few rough days but that is still a nice gain after reinvesting.

I know that isn't how it always happens but over the last few years it seems to more often than not. I can understand excitement.
manlymatt83

Post by manlymatt83 »

Is anyone holding PSLDX at vanguard? If so, how does it factor into their breakdown charts where they tell you the percentage of stocks and bonds you’re holding? Does it just totally break it?
bgf

Post by bgf »

I decided to sell half of PSLDX and buy RSSB. I didn't do this with any view on forward returns for US v Int'l or for the two different bond portfolios. I just did it because I need help getting my minimum international allocation (25%) back up to the minimum without making big shifts in other accounts. this seemed like a simple way to advance that goal while increasing diversification and maintaining the same 2x leverage ratio. so anyway, i'll be rebalancing them probably back to 50-50 annually, but I'd really like to keep this account as 'dead' as possible.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"
BullHouse_BearMarket

manlymatt83 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:41 am Is anyone holding PSLDX at vanguard? If so, how does it factor into their breakdown charts where they tell you the percentage of stocks and bonds you’re holding? Does it just totally break it?
I am. It shows 100% stock for PSLDX.
manlymatt83

Post by manlymatt83 »

BullHouse_BearMarket wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:59 am
manlymatt83 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:41 am Is anyone holding PSLDX at vanguard? If so, how does it factor into their breakdown charts where they tell you the percentage of stocks and bonds you’re holding? Does it just totally break it?
Thanks! And the initial buy is $20 but after that further buys are free? Or only automatic investments?
BullHouse_BearMarket

manlymatt83 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:06 am
BullHouse_BearMarket wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:59 am
Thanks! And the initial buy is $20 but after that further buys are free? Or only automatic investments?
I'm not entirely certain on that one. It has been a couple years since I purchased. I think it is 20-25 every purchase but I know the distribution reinvestments are free. They may also wave the fee depending how much you have invested.
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

It's $20 per purchase, auto-reinvesting is free.
tcrez

Post by tcrez »

So an earlier post says this fund has -100% CASHX position. I interpret that to mean it shorts short term treasuries, which are doing well considering an inverted yield curve.

Since long term treasuries return less than short term treasuries, is the only way this fund can beat the S&P 500 is for long term interest rates to fall while you’re holding the fund?