What are you listening to now

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
Chv396
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:44 pm
Location: Tee #6, Par 3, 195 Yards

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by Chv396 »

“Days of Future Passed”, Moody Blues (1967)
“In Search of the Lost Chord”, Moody Blues (1968)
“Long Distance Voyager”, Moody Blues (1981)
“Stay the Course” - My Portfolio (BND, VT, VXUS), Spouse’s Portfolio (VEA, VGSH, VOO, VOT)
User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 4961
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by Nicolas »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:58 am
Nicolas wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:24 am I don’t know what you call it, but whatever it is, I like it. Watch some of the YouTubes of those old shows, those people were having FUN! I can’t resist the joy of that music. Cocker was an absolute force of nature. (I've never heard of Katzenjammer before, except for the 1890s cartoon strip!)
Except for one show in Switzerland, where the crowd simply couldn’t be encouraged to “get into it,” they had a superb way of getting audience participation (singing along, clapping the rhythm) and imo their albums didn’t capture that energy.

I had never heard of them, but I guess based on my other musical preferences, YouTube recommended them to me and I’ve been a big time fan ever since.

Their name was based on that cartoon strip and also that the word, in German, is slang for a hangover which they maintain is a common morning after concert experience.

I love it when bands have FUN! May he RIP, but if you haven’t watched it, see Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scott’s with Vinnie Colaiuta on drums, Jason Rebello on keyboards and Tal Wilkenfeld on bass. They were having so much fun and so was the audience (with rock luminaries in the crowd).

I’m glad you enjoyed it.
Yes I’ve seen the video Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scott’s, it’s great! I mean to see it again soon.

Now listening to San Francisco Dues — Chuck Berry (only a few good ones!)
Eschew verbosity and shun obfuscation.
User avatar
vnatale
Posts: 3354
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:50 pm
Location: Montague, MA

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by vnatale »

Chv396 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:41 pm “All Things Must Pass”, George Harrison (1970)
“The Wall”, Pink Floyd (1979)

Hard to believe these albums were released so many years ago! :D
Do you remember the whole music world being shocked that George Harrison was capable of creating the three record "All Things Must Pass". Lennon and McCartney used to only allow him one or two songs per Beatles record.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
User avatar
vnatale
Posts: 3354
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:50 pm
Location: Montague, MA

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by vnatale »

Nicolas wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:43 pm
vnatale wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:12 pm
eddot98 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:48 pm I listened to Hackney Diamonds by the Rolling Stones on Amazon HD Music today and was very pleasantly surprised to hear 7 additional live performances from a club date in New York City from the album release party. I guess that I just don’t keep up with things lately. The Stones knew that they were being recorded for a release as Mick made sure to enunciate his vocals and not to slur them or drop some syllables as he is prone to do in some of their shows. The band was hot and the recording quality seemed great.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5oNgbtVTu ... 5lcw%3D%3D
Saw them once. In 1969 at the Boston Garden. BB King opened. They played at Madison Square Garden the next two nights. Those shows were the source for both the live Get-Yer-Ya's-Ya's-Out record and the movie Gimme Shelter.

I've always thought Jagger was the weakest member of the band. He'd not even be close to my top 20 male vocalists of all time. Always loved the band. Just never found him to be special and somewhat goofy looking with all his moving around and dancing. Could be perceived as his way of making up for or trying to draw attention away from his subpar vocals.
In the movie Gimme Shelter (1970) which was about the disastrous free concert at the Altamont Speedway in California in 1969, one scene I found amusing was the one with the look of utter revulsion and incredulity on a Hells Angel’s face as he watched Mick dance and sing on stage. :D
I've seen the movie at least four times but do not remember ever noting that. I will look for that if I watch it again.

I did read an excellent book about the murder by the Hells Angels that took place during the concert / movie.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
User avatar
vnatale
Posts: 3354
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:50 pm
Location: Montague, MA

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by vnatale »

Nicolas wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:47 pm
vnatale wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:12 pm
Nicolas wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 pm Leon Russell (self-titled)
Image
An excellent debut record!
Agreed. I’ve always liked the first song, A Song For You, and Delta Lady is good too.
Am I remembering correctly that up until then he'd been a session musician before he went off on his own starting with that record?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
User avatar
vnatale
Posts: 3354
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:50 pm
Location: Montague, MA

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by vnatale »

YeahBuddy wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:22 am
vnatale wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:13 pm
YeahBuddy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:24 pm Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine
Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill
Love the latter.

A female vocalist paired with excellent rock guitarists.
Yes, indeed.
I grew up during this time and never appreciated her as much as I could/should have.
I found NIN to not be my jam. I just happened to be listening to it at the moment.
But do enjoy 90s alternative/grunge. Thanks for commenting!
I was already in my early 40s when Alanis M came out. I remember a 16-year-old girl thinking it weird that I liked Alanis M's music so much.

I've listened little to Nine Inch Nails and would definitely not be able to identify their music.

I did like most of the 90s alternative / grunge.

Is that what they were considered to be?

One thing I don't like that much is metal. The musicians are excellent but the vocals are terrible, contrived, unnatural. Plus, the music is completely un-dynamic. I describe it as sledge-hammer music.

This is an annual festival:

https://www.rpmfest.org/

RPM stands for Rock Punk Metal.

I love Rock. Like Punk. Don't care much for Metal.

For the last several years it's been held at a location on my street, 2 miles from my house. Could not be more convenient.

But it is just about 95% to 100% metal.

The way I started dealing with it was to stand on the side of the stage so I'd mostly be hearing the music with little exposure to the vocals.

They do get metal bands there from all over the world.

Last year I did not even go. The year before I had a ticket for Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Skipped Saturday. Instead of driving the 2 miles to get there I drove 45 minutes to Keene, New Hampshire, where they have about 9 impromptu stages up and down the main street and the music played at those stages is much closer to my taste in music. They do have some metal bands among the numerous bands playing that day but it's quite a variety of music.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
User avatar
vnatale
Posts: 3354
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:50 pm
Location: Montague, MA

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by vnatale »

Halicar wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:03 am
YeahBuddy wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:22 am
vnatale wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:13 pm
YeahBuddy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:24 pm Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine
Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill
Love the latter.

A female vocalist paired with excellent rock guitarists.
Yes, indeed.
I grew up during this time and never appreciated her as much as I could/should have.
I found NIN to not be my jam. I just happened to be listening to it at the moment.
But do enjoy 90s alternative/grunge. Thanks for commenting!
I was at a store the other day and heard Feed the Tree by Belly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsFE4zGPxM4 Star was my favorite album for a year or so way back when, but I hadn't listened to it for literally 30 years and had forgotten all about it. It was a pretty potent moment of nostalgia.
Yet another band who until now had escaped any awareness of my part regarding them. I could tell in less than a minute that I liked their music.

I am constantly amazed by how many bands from 10, 20, 30 years ago that I've never heard of but once I hear them consider them to be quite good, as I'm considering this the more I heard of this song as I am typing this.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
User avatar
vnatale
Posts: 3354
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:50 pm
Location: Montague, MA

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by vnatale »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:20 am
Nicolas wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24 pm Mad Dogs & Englishmen — Joe Cocker & Friends
Image
That used to be my go-to music to work out on the elliptical. I replaced it with a video of Katzenjammer (dang, I wish they’d reunite) that gets me past the hour mark on the elliptical. When I think I’m exhausted, I think “the next song is really good also, so I’ll just do a few more minutes.” No idea what to call the genre, maybe bluegrass rock circus cabaret ragtime?

ETA: you don’t see too many cat-faced balalaika contra-bass nowadays. :D

Image

https://youtu.be/_bwE4pjcISU?si=2CpJ8EKqunJGTHqw
Another one, who until now, I'd never heard of. Definitely different.

Here is one for you:

https://slambovia.com/?fbclid=IwAR1szGJ ... 2bYxoFV5El

https://slambovia.com/video-gallery

They play in my area fairly frequently.

I've seen them once. Not my kind of music. But I could listen to what you provided.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
User avatar
vnatale
Posts: 3354
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:50 pm
Location: Montague, MA

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by vnatale »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:58 am
Nicolas wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:24 am I don’t know what you call it, but whatever it is, I like it. Watch some of the YouTubes of those old shows, those people were having FUN! I can’t resist the joy of that music. Cocker was an absolute force of nature. (I've never heard of Katzenjammer before, except for the 1890s cartoon strip!)
Except for one show in Switzerland, where the crowd simply couldn’t be encouraged to “get into it,” they had a superb way of getting audience participation (singing along, clapping the rhythm) and imo their albums didn’t capture that energy.

I had never heard of them, but I guess based on my other musical preferences, YouTube recommended them to me and I’ve been a big time fan ever since.

Their name was based on that cartoon strip and also that the word, in German, is slang for a hangover which they maintain is a common morning after concert experience.

I love it when bands have FUN! May he RIP, but if you haven’t watched it, see Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scott’s with Vinnie Colaiuta on drums, Jason Rebello on keyboards and Tal Wilkenfeld on bass. They were having so much fun and so was the audience (with rock luminaries in the crowd).

I’m glad you enjoyed it.
I am almost certain that like me you are in Massachusetts?

This is our state's band where the audience did not stay in their seats once the band played the first note of their show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmSB2CZuDjI

J Geils Band, Lookin' for a love live 1974


In 1973 I saw them play with Yes at Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island.

Yes was simply incredibly astounding. My friend and I looked at each other, saying how was The J. Geils Band going to top that. Well, after J. Geils played their first note the entire crowd was up on its feet where they stayed for the rest of the show.

Can't remember how long you have been in Massachusetts but the band was actually formed when J. Geils, guitarist, Magic Dick, harmonica, and Danny K, bass, met as students at WPI (Worcester Polytechnic Institute). So they went from future engineers to future rock stars!
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
User avatar
Halicar
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:41 am
Location: Midwest

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by Halicar »

vnatale wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:59 pm
Yet another band who until now had escaped any awareness of my part regarding them. I could tell in less than a minute that I liked their music.

I am constantly amazed by how many bands from 10, 20, 30 years ago that I've never heard of but once I hear them consider them to be quite good, as I'm considering this the more I heard of this song as I am typing this.
Belly was Tanya Donelly's band after Throwing Muses and The Breeders. Those are worth checking out too if you're unfamiliar with them.
Mr. Rumples
Posts: 3031
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:16 am

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Ruth Brown. This is a favorite with Bonnie Raitt: https://www.google.com/search?client=sa ... xsvDo,st:0
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
User avatar
vnatale
Posts: 3354
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:50 pm
Location: Montague, MA

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by vnatale »

Halicar wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:37 pm
vnatale wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:59 pm
Yet another band who until now had escaped any awareness of my part regarding them. I could tell in less than a minute that I liked their music.

I am constantly amazed by how many bands from 10, 20, 30 years ago that I've never heard of but once I hear them consider them to be quite good, as I'm considering this the more I heard of this song as I am typing this.
Belly was Tanya Donelly's band after Throwing Muses and The Breeders. Those are worth checking out too if you're unfamiliar with them.
Unfamiliar with ALL that you just named!

And, I own 7,000 records, 5,000 CDs, and a TB of music in e-form.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
User avatar
vnatale
Posts: 3354
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:50 pm
Location: Montague, MA

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by vnatale »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:43 pm Ruth Brown. This is a favorite with Bonnie Raitt https://www.google.com/search?client=sa ... xsvDo,st:0
Within a few notes I could tell it was my kind of music.

Thanks!

And, I think she is yet another with whom I never heard of until now!
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mr. Rumples
Posts: 3031
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:16 am

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by Mr. Rumples »

vnatale wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:51 pm
Mr. Rumples wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:43 pm Ruth Brown. This is a favorite with Bonnie Raitt https://www.google.com/search?client=sa ... xsvDo,st:0
Within a few notes I could tell it was my kind of music.

Thanks!

And, I think she is yet another with whom I never heard of until now!
Just one more Ruth Brown. I prefer her later work. https://www.google.com/search?client=sa ... bLeJY,st:0
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
User avatar
vnatale
Posts: 3354
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:50 pm
Location: Montague, MA

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by vnatale »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WTdTwcmxyo

Tommy Tutone - 867-5309/Jenny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 4961
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by Nicolas »

vnatale wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:47 pm
Nicolas wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:47 pm
vnatale wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:12 pm
Nicolas wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 pm Leon Russell (self-titled)
Image
An excellent debut record!
Agreed. I’ve always liked the first song, A Song For You, and Delta Lady is good too.
Am I remembering correctly that up until then he'd been a session musician before he went off on his own starting with that record?
Yes, indeed he was!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Russell
Eschew verbosity and shun obfuscation.
User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 17234
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by TomatoTomahto »

vnatale wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:14 pm Can't remember how long you have been in Massachusetts but the band was actually formed when J. Geils, guitarist, Magic Dick, harmonica, and Danny K, bass, met as students at WPI (Worcester Polytechnic Institute). So they went from future engineers to future rock stars!
Only 6 years in Massachusetts, but have a BIL who attended WPI. He stayed an engineer :(
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
YeahBuddy
Posts: 2561
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by YeahBuddy »

vnatale wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:56 pm
YeahBuddy wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:22 am
vnatale wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:13 pm
YeahBuddy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:24 pm Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine
Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill
Love the latter.

A female vocalist paired with excellent rock guitarists.
Yes, indeed.
I grew up during this time and never appreciated her as much as I could/should have.
I found NIN to not be my jam. I just happened to be listening to it at the moment.
But do enjoy 90s alternative/grunge. Thanks for commenting!
I was already in my early 40s when Alanis M came out. I remember a 16-year-old girl thinking it weird that I liked Alanis M's music so much.

I've listened little to Nine Inch Nails and would definitely not be able to identify their music.

I did like most of the 90s alternative / grunge.

Is that what they were considered to be?

One thing I don't like that much is metal. The musicians are excellent but the vocals are terrible, contrived, unnatural. Plus, the music is completely un-dynamic. I describe it as sledge-hammer music.

This is an annual festival:

https://www.rpmfest.org/

RPM stands for Rock Punk Metal.

I love Rock. Like Punk. Don't care much for Metal.


Don't worry what others think. I listen to Taylor Swift (with my daughter) but would listen without her too.

NIN are considered American industrial rock band. Maybe I falsely attributed them as alternative because, back in middle school and high school the kids that listened to NIN would called "altis" meaning alternative music lovers.

Grunge I think more Nirvana. Love Nirvana. Also STP, Soundgarden. Sublime. And I rarely go to concerts and listen on my newly assembled home audio system. It's "Sublime" :happy

I don't want to take up the thread, if you want to continue this discussion please pm me!
Light weight baby!
eddot98
Posts: 1208
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:47 am
Location: The Berkshires

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by eddot98 »

YeahBuddy wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:22 am
vnatale wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:13 pm
YeahBuddy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:24 pm Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine
Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill
Love the latter.

A female vocalist paired with excellent rock guitarists.
Yes, indeed.
I grew up during this time and never appreciated her as much as I could/should have.
I found NIN to not be my jam. I just happened to be listening to it at the moment.
But do enjoy 90s alternative/grunge. Thanks for commenting!
Because I am not really into Heavy Metal, I only became aware of Nine Inch Nails because of their excellent soundtrack for the video game Quake. It was really groundbreaking work. I haven’t heard much else from them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5n8iU7abqkQ

I haven’t played a video game in a couple of decades, but I wasted many hours on Doom and later Quake.
eddot98
Posts: 1208
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:47 am
Location: The Berkshires

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by eddot98 »

vnatale wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:14 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:58 am
Nicolas wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:24 am I don’t know what you call it, but whatever it is, I like it. Watch some of the YouTubes of those old shows, those people were having FUN! I can’t resist the joy of that music. Cocker was an absolute force of nature. (I've never heard of Katzenjammer before, except for the 1890s cartoon strip!)
Except for one show in Switzerland, where the crowd simply couldn’t be encouraged to “get into it,” they had a superb way of getting audience participation (singing along, clapping the rhythm) and imo their albums didn’t capture that energy.

I had never heard of them, but I guess based on my other musical preferences, YouTube recommended them to me and I’ve been a big time fan ever since.

Their name was based on that cartoon strip and also that the word, in German, is slang for a hangover which they maintain is a common morning after concert experience.

I love it when bands have FUN! May he RIP, but if you haven’t watched it, see Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scott’s with Vinnie Colaiuta on drums, Jason Rebello on keyboards and Tal Wilkenfeld on bass. They were having so much fun and so was the audience (with rock luminaries in the crowd).

I’m glad you enjoyed it.
I am almost certain that like me you are in Massachusetts?

This is our state's band where the audience did not stay in their seats once the band played the first note of their show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmSB2CZuDjI

J Geils Band, Lookin' for a love live 1974


In 1973 I saw them play with Yes at Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island.

Yes was simply incredibly astounding. My friend and I looked at each other, saying how was The J. Geils Band going to top that. Well, after J. Geils played their first note the entire crowd was up on its feet where they stayed for the rest of the show.

Can't remember how long you have been in Massachusetts but the band was actually formed when J. Geils, guitarist, Magic Dick, harmonica, and Danny K, bass, met as students at WPI (Worcester Polytechnic Institute). So they went from future engineers to future rock stars!
From an earlier post in this thread:
When I was in college in Amherst, MA, the J Geils Blues Band played several free outdoor concerts on the campus between 1968 and 1970. As they hadn’t been signed to a record deal yet, we hadn’t heard of them, but they really rocked out, with a great harmonica player, a strong singer (Peter Wolf), a rocking lead guitarist, and a strong bassist and drummer. Thanks for jogging my memory. I need to dig out their first two records, made before they went mainstream to aim for commercial success.

A 1972 show, not well recorded, but a good representation of the band live:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq79uJ58eAM

I turned 18 years old in 1968, the J Geils Blues Band made quite an impression on my young mind. An impression I still have all these years later.
User avatar
Chv396
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:44 pm
Location: Tee #6, Par 3, 195 Yards

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by Chv396 »

No, unfortunately. I was probably too young back then.


vnatale wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:44 pm
Chv396 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:41 pm “All Things Must Pass”, George Harrison (1970)
“The Wall”, Pink Floyd (1979)

Hard to believe these albums were released so many years ago! :D
Do you remember the whole music world being shocked that George Harrison was capable of creating the three record "All Things Must Pass". Lennon and McCartney used to only allow him one or two songs per Beatles record.
“Stay the Course” - My Portfolio (BND, VT, VXUS), Spouse’s Portfolio (VEA, VGSH, VOO, VOT)
User avatar
Chv396
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:44 pm
Location: Tee #6, Par 3, 195 Yards

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by Chv396 »

Streaming the local classical station this morning…
“Stay the Course” - My Portfolio (BND, VT, VXUS), Spouse’s Portfolio (VEA, VGSH, VOO, VOT)
User avatar
vnatale
Posts: 3354
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:50 pm
Location: Montague, MA

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by vnatale »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:39 am
vnatale wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:14 pm Can't remember how long you have been in Massachusetts but the band was actually formed when J. Geils, guitarist, Magic Dick, harmonica, and Danny K, bass, met as students at WPI (Worcester Polytechnic Institute). So they went from future engineers to future rock stars!
Only 6 years in Massachusetts, but have a BIL who attended WPI. He stayed an engineer :(
I was a student there. I met J. Geils a few times. Mandatory ROTC had ended the year I got there or the year before. I asked him how he dealt with it as it was mandatory when he was there. He said, "They gave me the shirt. I cut off the sleeves and never attended!"
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
User avatar
vnatale
Posts: 3354
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:50 pm
Location: Montague, MA

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by vnatale »

eddot98 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:39 am
vnatale wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:14 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:58 am
Nicolas wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:24 am I don’t know what you call it, but whatever it is, I like it. Watch some of the YouTubes of those old shows, those people were having FUN! I can’t resist the joy of that music. Cocker was an absolute force of nature. (I've never heard of Katzenjammer before, except for the 1890s cartoon strip!)
Except for one show in Switzerland, where the crowd simply couldn’t be encouraged to “get into it,” they had a superb way of getting audience participation (singing along, clapping the rhythm) and imo their albums didn’t capture that energy.

I had never heard of them, but I guess based on my other musical preferences, YouTube recommended them to me and I’ve been a big time fan ever since.

Their name was based on that cartoon strip and also that the word, in German, is slang for a hangover which they maintain is a common morning after concert experience.

I love it when bands have FUN! May he RIP, but if you haven’t watched it, see Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scott’s with Vinnie Colaiuta on drums, Jason Rebello on keyboards and Tal Wilkenfeld on bass. They were having so much fun and so was the audience (with rock luminaries in the crowd).

I’m glad you enjoyed it.
I am almost certain that like me you are in Massachusetts?

This is our state's band where the audience did not stay in their seats once the band played the first note of their show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmSB2CZuDjI

J Geils Band, Lookin' for a love live 1974


In 1973 I saw them play with Yes at Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island.

Yes was simply incredibly astounding. My friend and I looked at each other, saying how was The J. Geils Band going to top that. Well, after J. Geils played their first note the entire crowd was up on its feet where they stayed for the rest of the show.

Can't remember how long you have been in Massachusetts but the band was actually formed when J. Geils, guitarist, Magic Dick, harmonica, and Danny K, bass, met as students at WPI (Worcester Polytechnic Institute). So they went from future engineers to future rock stars!
From an earlier post in this thread:
When I was in college in Amherst, MA, the J Geils Blues Band played several free outdoor concerts on the campus between 1968 and 1970. As they hadn’t been signed to a record deal yet, we hadn’t heard of them, but they really rocked out, with a great harmonica player, a strong singer (Peter Wolf), a rocking lead guitarist, and a strong bassist and drummer. Thanks for jogging my memory. I need to dig out their first two records, made before they went mainstream to aim for commercial success.

A 1972 show, not well recorded, but a good representation of the band live:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq79uJ58eAM

I turned 18 years old in 1968, the J Geils Blues Band made quite an impression on my young mind. An impression I still have all these years later.
I first saw them in spring 1970 opening for Ten Years After at Assumption College (Worcester, MA). I cannot remember if the fall of 1970 was when their first or second record came out. But those are great records.

I did have several brief interactions with a few of them.

Interviewed J. Geils, Peter Wolf, and Seth Justman on the radio when I was a college DJ.

Talked to J. Geils and Peter Wolf and Magic Dick briefly when they were playing in Misquamicut in a club and they had a strange arrangement where they were with another band alternating sets and they came out in the audience while the other band was playing.

Went to J. Geils apartment with a few friends in an attempt to sell him a vintage Les Paul guitar. It was just after the closing of the Filmore as he told all of us, "You should have seen the guitar Duane Allman was playing!"

He was a genuine nice person.

He had a relatively large record collection but there was almost no overlap between my collection and his. His was almost all blues records.

After a Mountain / Miles Davis show in Cambridge, MA when walking back to my car I saw someone and said to him, "I know you from somewhere!" Then I realized it was Seth Justman who I'd interviewed in that interview a few weeks earlier. I learned why his nickname was the Sphinx as during that interview he did not say a word!

But they produced great music even after they reached for more commercial success.

They started out as the J. Geils Blues Band and morphed into an arena playing rock band.

I think I saw them between 15-20 times?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
User avatar
Chv396
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:44 pm
Location: Tee #6, Par 3, 195 Yards

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by Chv396 »

“Tequila”, Wes Montgomery
“Stay the Course” - My Portfolio (BND, VT, VXUS), Spouse’s Portfolio (VEA, VGSH, VOO, VOT)
User avatar
Chv396
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:44 pm
Location: Tee #6, Par 3, 195 Yards

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by Chv396 »

“An American in Paris”, George Gershwin
“Appalachian Spring”, Aaron Copeland
“Stay the Course” - My Portfolio (BND, VT, VXUS), Spouse’s Portfolio (VEA, VGSH, VOO, VOT)
jginseattle
Posts: 1129
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by jginseattle »

vnatale wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:25 pm
eddot98 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:39 am
vnatale wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:14 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:58 am
Nicolas wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:24 am I don’t know what you call it, but whatever it is, I like it. Watch some of the YouTubes of those old shows, those people were having FUN! I can’t resist the joy of that music. Cocker was an absolute force of nature. (I've never heard of Katzenjammer before, except for the 1890s cartoon strip!)
Except for one show in Switzerland, where the crowd simply couldn’t be encouraged to “get into it,” they had a superb way of getting audience participation (singing along, clapping the rhythm) and imo their albums didn’t capture that energy.

I had never heard of them, but I guess based on my other musical preferences, YouTube recommended them to me and I’ve been a big time fan ever since.

Their name was based on that cartoon strip and also that the word, in German, is slang for a hangover which they maintain is a common morning after concert experience.

I love it when bands have FUN! May he RIP, but if you haven’t watched it, see Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scott’s with Vinnie Colaiuta on drums, Jason Rebello on keyboards and Tal Wilkenfeld on bass. They were having so much fun and so was the audience (with rock luminaries in the crowd).

I’m glad you enjoyed it.
I am almost certain that like me you are in Massachusetts?

This is our state's band where the audience did not stay in their seats once the band played the first note of their show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmSB2CZuDjI

J Geils Band, Lookin' for a love live 1974


In 1973 I saw them play with Yes at Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island.

Yes was simply incredibly astounding. My friend and I looked at each other, saying how was The J. Geils Band going to top that. Well, after J. Geils played their first note the entire crowd was up on its feet where they stayed for the rest of the show.

Can't remember how long you have been in Massachusetts but the band was actually formed when J. Geils, guitarist, Magic Dick, harmonica, and Danny K, bass, met as students at WPI (Worcester Polytechnic Institute). So they went from future engineers to future rock stars!
From an earlier post in this thread:
When I was in college in Amherst, MA, the J Geils Blues Band played several free outdoor concerts on the campus between 1968 and 1970. As they hadn’t been signed to a record deal yet, we hadn’t heard of them, but they really rocked out, with a great harmonica player, a strong singer (Peter Wolf), a rocking lead guitarist, and a strong bassist and drummer. Thanks for jogging my memory. I need to dig out their first two records, made before they went mainstream to aim for commercial success.

A 1972 show, not well recorded, but a good representation of the band live:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq79uJ58eAM

I turned 18 years old in 1968, the J Geils Blues Band made quite an impression on my young mind. An impression I still have all these years later.
I first saw them in spring 1970 opening for Ten Years After at Assumption College (Worcester, MA). I cannot remember if the fall of 1970 was when their first or second record came out. But those are great records.

I did have several brief interactions with a few of them.

Interviewed J. Geils, Peter Wolf, and Seth Justman on the radio when I was a college DJ.

Talked to J. Geils and Peter Wolf and Magic Dick briefly when they were playing in Misquamicut in a club and they had a strange arrangement where they were with another band alternating sets and they came out in the audience while the other band was playing.

Went to J. Geils apartment with a few friends in an attempt to sell him a vintage Les Paul guitar. It was just after the closing of the Filmore as he told all of us, "You should have seen the guitar Duane Allman was playing!"

He was a genuine nice person.

He had a relatively large record collection but there was almost no overlap between my collection and his. His was almost all blues records.

After a Mountain / Miles Davis show in Cambridge, MA when walking back to my car I saw someone and said to him, "I know you from somewhere!" Then I realized it was Seth Justman who I'd interviewed in that interview a few weeks earlier. I learned why his nickname was the Sphinx as during that interview he did not say a word!

But they produced great music even after they reached for more commercial success.

They started out as the J. Geils Blues Band and morphed into an arena playing rock band.

I think I saw them between 15-20 times?
Cool stories.
User avatar
AnnetteLouisan
Posts: 7287
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:16 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Gypsy Kings, Bamboleo

Bobby Darin, Mack the Knife
roamingzebra
Posts: 1246
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:29 pm

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by roamingzebra »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:34 pm Bobby Darin, Mack the Knife
One of my faves.

My Dad used to skulk around the house singing the first bar or so of the song. Not sure if he knew the song was not about a shark ("Oh that shark Babe...). :D

Was always good for a laugh.
User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 4961
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by Nicolas »

roamingzebra wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:53 pm
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:34 pm Bobby Darin, Mack the Knife
One of my faves.

My Dad used to skulk around the house singing the first bar or so of the song. Not sure if he knew the song was not about a shark ("Oh that shark Babe...). :D

Was always good for a laugh.
Here’s a recording of Ella singing it. She couldn’t remember all the words so she ad-libbed it. https://youtu.be/6vXAtVbZbkI?si=-pNLTc7RNvNCEOL-
Eschew verbosity and shun obfuscation.
User avatar
vnatale
Posts: 3354
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:50 pm
Location: Montague, MA

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by vnatale »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:34 pm Gypsy Kings, Bamboleo

Bobby Darin, Mack the Knife
Latter one a classic!
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
roamingzebra
Posts: 1246
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:29 pm

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by roamingzebra »

Nicolas wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:12 pm
roamingzebra wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:53 pm
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:34 pm Bobby Darin, Mack the Knife
One of my faves.

My Dad used to skulk around the house singing the first bar or so of the song. Not sure if he knew the song was not about a shark ("Oh that shark Babe...). :D

Was always good for a laugh.
Here’s a recording of Ella singing it. She couldn’t remember all the words so she ad-libbed it. https://youtu.be/6vXAtVbZbkI?si=-pNLTc7RNvNCEOL-
That's hilarious. :mrgreen:

Lyrics or no lyrics -- or wrong lyrics -- the music really swings. :beer
User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 16831
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:25 pm

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by ResearchMed »

DH is practicing his part of one of our Italian opera duets (this one from Mozart's Don Giovanni).
I have some catching up to do.

By the way: He actually sang at La Scala (yes, the one in Milan)!
:happy

Footnote: We were in the basement of the gift shop, which happened to be unoccupied (or at least, we didn't see anyone else).
:D

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 4961
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by Nicolas »

Tonnanella— Paolo Minichiello
Eschew verbosity and shun obfuscation.
sycamore
Posts: 6442
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 12:06 pm

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by sycamore »

ResearchMed wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:10 pm DH is practicing his part of one of our Italian opera duets (this one from Mozart's Don Giovanni).
I have some catching up to do.

By the way: He actually sang at La Scala (yes, the one in Milan)!
:happy
Bravissimo!
User avatar
Chv396
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:44 pm
Location: Tee #6, Par 3, 195 Yards

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by Chv396 »

Streaming “Jazz 24” this morning…
“Stay the Course” - My Portfolio (BND, VT, VXUS), Spouse’s Portfolio (VEA, VGSH, VOO, VOT)
User avatar
heartwood
Posts: 2714
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:40 pm

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by heartwood »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7n1ZO6 ... h1RaNKwD5j

Only God Was Above Us by Vampire Weekend released today.
User avatar
Halicar
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:41 am
Location: Midwest

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by Halicar »

Rampen (apm: alien pop music), the new album by German industrial/noise band Einsturzende Neubauten.

"Einsturzende Neubauten" roughly translates to "collapsing buildings," and is fairly appropriate. Their music features heavy percussive sounds on homemade instruments.

https://youtu.be/RqY81WPg684?t=3609
folkher0
Posts: 936
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by folkher0 »

Beyoncé Cowboy Carter is so good.
A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject.
User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 4961
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by Nicolas »

Moonshadow — Cat Stevens
Eschew verbosity and shun obfuscation.
User avatar
JAZZISCOOL
Posts: 2672
Joined: Sat May 18, 2019 11:49 am
Location: Colorado - 5,700 ft.

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:22 am Moonshadow — Cat Stevens
What a voice and notable solar eclipse song! :beer
AlohaBill
Posts: 776
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:20 pm
Location: California

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by AlohaBill »

Last night I watched 35 minutes of Taylor Swift’s ERAS tour. I didn’t get all the adulation and excitement. It reminded me of my reaction to the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show back in the day. To me all her songs sound the same. She doesn’t have a voice like Adele or Lady Gaga. She is also getting old. In the meantime, I am a blithering idiot. Maybe I should rewatch Grumpy, Old Men. We will finish the concert tonight as I had to stop to go to bed at 10. :shock:
SunnySideUp
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:48 am

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by SunnySideUp »

Midnight Oil - Armistice Day live 2017.

I'm a longtime fan of their music (less so their politics, which they wear on their figurative shirtsleeve), and this performance and recording, captured in their "elder days", is superb. I've had this 2-CD album on repeat for a week now, just soaking it in (again). I love how the two guitarists (Moginie and Rotsey) consistently interleave with just the slightest of delay between them.
User avatar
Chv396
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:44 pm
Location: Tee #6, Par 3, 195 Yards

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by Chv396 »

“Kind of Blue”, Miles Davis

Haven’t listened to this classic in some time, just “had” to listen… :D
“Stay the Course” - My Portfolio (BND, VT, VXUS), Spouse’s Portfolio (VEA, VGSH, VOO, VOT)
User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 4961
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by Nicolas »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:43 am
Nicolas wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:22 am Moonshadow — Cat Stevens
What a voice and notable solar eclipse song! :beer
Agreed, he’s such a great musical artist.

We just got back from our eclipse trip. We went to northern Arkansas and had clear skies! In 2017 we went to Missouri and had clear skies then too. We gambled that it would be drier weather in the south and with a little luck we were right.

Now we’re contemplating a trip to Iceland to view the total eclipse in Reykjavik in August 2026.
Eschew verbosity and shun obfuscation.
User avatar
JAZZISCOOL
Posts: 2672
Joined: Sat May 18, 2019 11:49 am
Location: Colorado - 5,700 ft.

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Nicolas wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:23 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:43 am
Nicolas wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:22 am Moonshadow — Cat Stevens
What a voice and notable solar eclipse song! :beer
Agreed, he’s such a great musical artist.

We just got back from our eclipse trip. We went to northern Arkansas and had clear skies! In 2017 we went to Missouri and had clear skies then too. We gambled that it would be drier weather in the south and with a little luck we were right.

Now we’re contemplating a trip to Iceland to view the total eclipse in Reykjavik in August 2026.
Wow! That's great. A friend of mine went to Wyoming in 2017 to watch the eclipse. He really enjoyed it. :happy
User avatar
Chv396
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:44 pm
Location: Tee #6, Par 3, 195 Yards

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by Chv396 »

“Waiting for the Sun” (1968), The Doors
“The Soft Parade”, (1969), The Doors
“Stay the Course” - My Portfolio (BND, VT, VXUS), Spouse’s Portfolio (VEA, VGSH, VOO, VOT)
eddot98
Posts: 1208
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:47 am
Location: The Berkshires

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by eddot98 »

Elton John and Bernie Taupin Library of Congress Gershwin Songwriting Award show on PBS. Technically, I watched it and listened to it. I am not a big fan of Elton John, but I have enjoyed his music over the last 50+ years. I enjoyed almost all of the performers’, some more than others’. A real surprise was Metallica. Joni Mitchell was darn good considering.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HRIKyMqLF ... hvdw%3D%3D
User avatar
AnnetteLouisan
Posts: 7287
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:16 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

I listened to Suffragette City last night. David Bowie.
User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 4961
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by Nicolas »

Fu Man Chu — Desmond Dekker & The Aces

Can’t You Hear Me Knocking — The Rolling Stones (2009 mix)

Traveling Riverside Blues — Led Zeppelin (from BBC Sessions)

I’d Love to Change the World — Ten Years After
Eschew verbosity and shun obfuscation.
Post Reply