Suggestions for Digital Music

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LaurenRose

Suggestions for Digital Music

Post by LaurenRose »

At the present time, whenever I want to listen to music while out for a hike or walk, I listen to various radio channels using my iPhone in my pocket (and headphones)

Now that I am retired, I have more time to mess around with a better solution and I hope there is one.

The background here is that years ago, when I used to listen to music via CDs, I "ripped'? or "burned"? many of those songs from CD to MP3 files on my laptop. My old CDs are boxed up in storage and I haven't gotten them out for probably 15 years, no joke.
Life got busy and I just migrated those music files from laptop to new laptop (and some are on backup hard drives)....
I never organized them, but still have them stored on this laptop.

I also have an iTunes library of purchased tunes on this laptop. Obviously, these never originated from CDs.

Excuse my ignorance here - what might be the best way to set up an actual song library I can listen to while out walking/hiking?

Can I take my old music files and purchased i Tunes and set up a playlist/library? what kind of device? and can I transfer them somehow from this Mac to a new device? but if I also want to add new purchased tunes? add those from the iTunes store?

At some point, I would also like to set up some kind of home listening system....I am so out of the loop, technology has run over me when it comes to digital content, anyway.

Thanks....appreciate simple to use solutions with reasonably good sound. Please no lectures about safety issues when listening to music while walking - I am walking on trails not near any traffic...and use air conduction.
CardinalRule

Re: Suggestions for Digital Music

Post by CardinalRule »

I use Amazon Music Unlimited. I play it all the time on my iPhone while walking and on an Echo Studio device at home. Also works great with Apple CarPlay in my vehicle.

I usually have a subset of the gazillion available songs downloaded to my phone, and organized into playlists. So I don’t need connectivity while walking. It’s like I own them, just like in my old MP3 days.
CatsAreCute

Post by CatsAreCute »

Since you already have purchased music using Apple iTunes, you have multiple options.
  • Enable "iCloud Music Library" and all of your ripped CDs and purchased songs should be available on your iPhone.
  • Consider a Subscription to Apple Music. You'll get access to all of your existing purchases as well as the entire library of music available in Apple Music (basically any song you can think of).
Both solutions allow you to create playlists that combine the music that you have already purchased as well as perhaps new music in Apple Music.

For home listening, you could consider an Apple HomePod. It will have access to the same music library.
the_wiki

Post by the_wiki »

Most people have moved on from managing a library of purchased and ripped songs and just use a service. Every song ever made at your fingertips for about $10 a month is hard to argue with. Most allow you to keep a collection “offline” on your phone if you have limited data or bad connection while out walking.

But to answer your question, you would need to manage folders of individual song files and sync them to your phone. (Itunes on Apple)

For home listening you can stream from phone or computer to a home speaker or system. Or there’s always the old fashioned patch cable into RCA ports or aux in.
jsuth672

Post by jsuth672 »

Check out Spotify. Premium is $11 a month, but very worth it. You can download music to your device if you want. You can also create your own playlists. You can access so much music!
Toons

Post by Toons »

I use both amazon music unlimited and
You tube music premium
all day long
Streaming.
I also have thousands of songs downloaded from both of these providers
when I don't want to stream. :happy
Check out both services.
Spotify is another great service
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Between 15-20 years ago I was constantly listening to CDs while working. On each CD I'd note any songs I wanted to copy on to my computer.

Eventually I worked my way up to 10,000+ songs and using iTunes I converted them all to Apple format. Using iTunes put them all on my 150 GB iPod in 2007.

That iPod has remained like that since then and have listened to many of those songs on it since. With that many songs I don't hear the same songs that often.

Those songs are also on this computer so earlier tonight I was listening to some of them.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
22twain

Post by 22twain »

LaurenRose wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:41 pm Can I take my old music files and purchased i Tunes and set up a playlist/library? what kind of device? and can I transfer them somehow from this Mac to a new device? but if I also want to add new purchased tunes? add those from the iTunes store?
I have a large classical CD collection built up since the 1980s. One of my hobbies in retirement is ripping them onto my iMac, retagging them consistently according to my personal standards, and then transferring them in batches to my iPhone so I can listen to them on my daily walks.

To perform the iMac --> iPhone transfer, I connect them with a physical cable and sync the music libraries according to the general procedure described on this Apple support page:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-hel ... 6a1fab/mac

I can also listen to this music on my home audio/video system by streaming it via my home network from the iMac to an Apple TV box.

I make archive backup copies of all my retagged files onto external HDDs, by drag-copying items out of the iMac's Music app into suitable folders on the HDDs. These HDDs also contain copies of all my photos, and other documents that I want to archive. I use duplicate archive HDDs in case one goes bad.
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

LaurenRose wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:41 pm Can I take my old music files and purchased i Tunes and set up a playlist/library? what kind of device? and can I transfer them somehow from this Mac to a new device? but if I also want to add new purchased tunes? add those from the iTunes store?
I was in a similar situation once upon a time. I ended up putting all my ripped music files in a folder on my computer with subfolders by artist and then by album. That keeps everything organized and easy to find. Any purchased music through iTunes needs to be downloaded and also stored in the same folder system. Things may have changed but I don't remember that being intuitively obvious to do (I use a PC) and required me to use google to figure out all the steps but it could be done. Once all my music is downloaded and in one place, then you can use iTunes to create various playlists and such as your heart desires. You can also upload music to your smartphone so you can listen to it where ever you might be.

I did it once a long time ago and have around a 1000 of my favorite songs uploaded to my phone. I have been through several phones and just keep transferring the same songs and playlists from phone to phone. If I had to start all over again, I would just get a music subscription like others mentioned above for not much money.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

You can take your old MP3 files and use a free music player on your phone. You do not have to use iTunes at all. There are free music players in the software store provided on your phone.

Another free option is free Pandora. While I don't know about a "playlist", one can select a channel that probably matches what you would have on a playlist anyways. You can always pay for ad-free, but I think a study showed that one was happier with ads because one looked forward to getting back to the music.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

jsuth672 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:00 pm Check out Spotify. Premium is $11 a month, but very worth it. You can download music to your device if you want. You can also create your own playlists. You can access so much music!
This is the direction I went as well. All the CDs I ripped and years of itunes purchases are not really wasted as I have access to all these titles anyway thru Spotify plus everything else I could think of. The spotify interface is also much easier to work with than itunes.
You can try it for free - or use the version with commercials to see if it has everything you need. Or just sign up and cancel anytime.
chinchin

Post by chinchin »

OP is already an iPhone / iTunes user, so the "easiest" solution is to buy an Apple Music subscription and sync to iCloud which would make their whole collection playable on any Apple device.

OP, you said you use iTunes on Mac. iTunes is no longer supported on MacOS, it has been replaced with the Music app. Are you using an older Mac?
not financial advice
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Since you have a Mac and an iPhone, it's easy.

1) There is no iTunes on Mac anymore. They got rid of that years ago. Now it's just called Music.
2) Open up the Music app on your laptop. Make a playlist, name it whatever you want, and put the songs you want on there. If there are music files that are not yet in Music, then drag & drop those files into Music so everything is in one place.
3) Connect your iPhone to your Mac with a USB cable (you can also do this wirelessly, but using a cable is faster) and follow these instructions

Alternatively, you can pay for a streaming service as mentioned in the above posts. I don't use one and do the old fashioned method described above because I don't listen to music often anymore. I purchase maybe one album a year and wouldn't even come close to getting my money's worth for a $10 per month subscription. If you buy a lot of new stuff, the subscription is a good value.
jasc15

Post by jasc15 »

I'm not familiar with Apple products and services, but it sounds like iCloud Music Library does (for a fee) what Google music used to do, and what I now host myself at home.

I use a Plex Server, which organizes all my local music and video into a library that can be accessed by other computers and mobile devices on my home network. For music, there is a mobile app called PlexAmp which presents your music library in a nice user interface similar to other music streaming services. For music and video, the Plex app can be installed on a roku, fire stick, apple TV, etc, and present your library on your TV for streaming.

As long as the computer with the plex server is on and running, and your "client" device (phone, or other computer) is on the same network, you can stream to that client. This client can simply be used with headphones, or plugged into a traditional stereo system just like a CD player, or other audio component.

The 2 big things that make this more useful are:

1. Having the server device always on and running. If you don't mind having a computer running 24/7, this is easily achieved. There are other devices specialized for this purpose called Network Attached Storage (NAS). This is what I use, but its mainly for bulk storage backup of photos, documents, etc. Running a Plex server is a bonus function.

2. Having the client device able to access your local network while away from home. this requires some kind of VPN that lets your mobile device effectively be on your home network regardless of where you are located.

Depending on your tech literacy and willingness to futz with technology, all this may be interesting to you, or not worth the bother. I hope thats helpful.

All that said, I also use Spotify premium. In all honesty, I probably use it more than Plex. I simply cannot reach the variety with my own library, and have discovered so much new music that way.
PaddyMac

Post by PaddyMac »

We have the Apple family plan for extra storage for photos and it includes Apple Music, AppleTV, Apple Fitness etc. If you want to listen to music while away from the internet, load up the songs in advance and download them to your device.

If you like classical music, a companion app called "Apple Classical Music" is wonderful, and is what I listen to a lot. I especially like the "classical music for dogs" collection when I'm working and need calm music!

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2023/03/ ... l-is-here/
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

livesoft wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:00 am You can take your old MP3 files and use a free music player on your phone. You do not have to use iTunes at all. There are free music players in the software store provided on your phone.

Another free option is free Pandora. While I don't know about a "playlist", one can select a channel that probably matches what you would have on a playlist anyways. You can always pay for ad-free, but I think a study showed that one was happier with ads because one looked forward to getting back to the music.
I used Pandora ages ago when it first came out.

When I chose one artist it was great. When I added another it was still quite good. Then I added a third, it became a disaster, choosing songs for me that were NOT my taste.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
KRP

Post by KRP »

LaurenRose wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:41 pm At the present time, whenever I want to listen to music while out for a hike or walk, I listen to various radio channels using my iPhone in my pocket (and headphones)

Now that I am retired, I have more time to mess around with a better solution and I hope there is one.

The background here is that years ago, when I used to listen to music via CDs, I "ripped'? or "burned"? many of those songs from CD to MP3 files on my laptop. My old CDs are boxed up in storage and I haven't gotten them out for probably 15 years, no joke.
Life got busy and I just migrated those music files from laptop to new laptop (and some are on backup hard drives)....
I never organized them, but still have them stored on this laptop.

I also have an iTunes library of purchased tunes on this laptop. Obviously, these never originated from CDs.

Excuse my ignorance here - what might be the best way to set up an actual song library I can listen to while out walking/hiking?

Can I take my old music files and purchased i Tunes and set up a playlist/library? what kind of device? and can I transfer them somehow from this Mac to a new device? but if I also want to add new purchased tunes? add those from the iTunes store?

At some point, I would also like to set up some kind of home listening system....I am so out of the loop, technology has run over me when it comes to digital content, anyway.

Thanks....appreciate simple to use solutions with reasonably good sound. Please no lectures about safety issues when listening to music while walking - I am walking on trails not near any traffic...and use air conduction.
Look into using Apple's MacOS Music App, and loading an iphone with your collection (presuming you bought sufficient storage).

viewtopic.php?t=359940&start=50