Greece in August 24

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
andyandyandy

Greece in August 24

Post by andyandyandy »

Hi everyone,

Last year, our plans changed, and we decided to go to Peru instead of Greece! But this time, we've finally booked our trip to Greece for this August!

We'll be flying into Santorini first and departing from Athens. We have a total of 9 nights and 8 days to explore. Our two kids (ages 16 and 13) are more interested in outdoor activities, beaches, and a bit of history, rather than museums.

Here's our loose itinerary so far:

3 nights in Santorini
2 nights on another island (undecided)
4 nights in Athens or mainland Greece
We'd love some advice on the following:

1. Santorini Accommodation: Oia, Fira, or somewhere else?

2. Transportation: Car rental in Santorini or other islands? Does Uber operate there (reliable internet access might be limited)?

3. Reservations: Anything beyond hotels that we should book in advance?

4. Second Island: Mykonos or Naxos for 2 nights (not interested in nightlife)?

5. Athens: Best time to visit the Acropolis? Any other nearby attractions?

6. Day Trip Options: We'd like to visit Athens, Delphi, and Meteora. Is a car rental a good option, or should we consider a guided tour with accommodation for around $200 per person (2 days, 1 night)? We prioritize convenience.

7. Athens Accommodation: Any recommendations for a good area to stay?

8. Food Recommendations? Wife is vegetarian

Thank you in advance for any guidance and suggestions you can offer!
jebmke

Re: Greece in August 24

Post by jebmke »

I have never been to Greece but if it is anything like Italy it could well be extremely hot.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
camden

Post by camden »

Has been over 20 years since I’ve been to Greece, so I’m going to refrain from making suggestions that may be too dated, but as to things that one is pretty sure have not changed….

It will be hot. If you live in Texas or Florida, may be no different than home in August. If you’re from Maine or Oregon, will be a change.

Would not even think about renting a car in Athens. Of all the cities I’ve visited in Europe, Athens tops the list for absolutely miserable time wasting vacation pleasure killing snarled urban traffic.

Santorini is great. If you are more into outdoor activities and don’t care about nightlife, there are probably better island choices than Mykonos. I’ll leave it to more experienced travelers to Greece than myself to recommend.
realclemsongrad

Post by realclemsongrad »

andyandyandy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:33 pm Hi everyone,

Last year, our plans changed, and we decided to go to Peru instead of Greece! But this time, we've finally booked our trip to Greece for this August!

We'll be flying into Santorini first and departing from Athens. We have a total of 9 nights and 8 days to explore. Our two kids (ages 16 and 13) are more interested in outdoor activities, beaches, and a bit of history, rather than museums.

3 nights in Santorini

2. Transportation: Car rental in Santorini or other islands? Does Uber operate there (reliable internet access might be limited)?

6. Day Trip Options: We'd like to visit Athens, Delphi, and Meteora. Is a car rental a good option, or should we consider a guided tour with accommodation for around $200 per person (2 days, 1 night)? We prioritize convenience.

Regarding transportation we pre booked it with the hotel or Airbnb for both Athens and Santorini. It was very affordable.
Watty

Post by Watty »

It would be good to get travel insurance even if normally don't buy it. When you are out on the Greek Islands you may need to be flown out to get medical care if you have a problems since medical care on the islands may be limited. It is best to buy travel insurance within a week or so of when you make your first payment so that preexisting conditions will be excluded.
andyandyandy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:33 pm 2. Transportation: Car rental in Santorini or other islands? Does Uber operate there (reliable internet access might be limited)?

From what I have heard about half of Europe will be on vacation on the Greek Islands In August so even the ferries may be fully booked I have not been there in August but I would suggest having reservations for as much as possible. Be sure to read up on the Meltemi winds and which sides of the islands it may impact the most. The winds can also disrupt the flights and ferries so be prepared for that.

In addition to Santorini we stayed on Naxos and Paros in September when there were no crowds. As I recall the roads on Naxos were not great so we did not rent a car there but the roads on Paros were pretty good so we rented a car their and had a fun day exploring Paros.

We did not have a car on Santorini and I would image that parking would be a nightmare there. As I recall we just took buses most places and that worked well.

You can take a boat day trip out to Delos from Naxos, Paros, or Mykonos and we found that interesting but it would likely be too hot in August.
andyandyandy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:33 pm Our two kids (ages 16 and 13) are more interested in outdoor activities, beaches, and a bit of history, rather than museums.
Be sure that you will be comfortable with your kids there on the beaches since toplessness or less on some beaches will be common.
Last edited by Watty on Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
andyandyandy

Post by andyandyandy »

Thank you all! Couple follow up questions:

2.1) Are there laundromats in Santorini or Athens?
2.2) Do I need to reserve buses in Santorini as well?
2.3) From where to reserve ferries?
2.4) How is transportation in Nexos to go from one place to another?
2.5) Do you think I need a new SIM? If yes will it be available in Santorini?

THanks again!
worthit

Post by worthit »

3 nights in Santorini

5. Athens: Best time to visit the Acropolis? Any other nearby attractions? Visit

Based on our trip late last year.

1. Fira is central with a lot of reasonable and good options to stay and eat. We stayed near the central bus stand in Fira and so didn't need a car. Oia is the fancier part of Santorini with high end lodging and restaurants.

2. See above - we didn't rent a car. In Athens, we walked all over the place and never had the necessity to drive or even take a cab.

3. Naxos, Paros and few other islands if you don't like the nightlife of Mykonos. Besides, I am told Mykonos is expensive.

4. I am told Mykonos is all about night life.....as a result we skipped it intentionally. Have heard nice things about Naxos and Paros.

5. Acropolis early in the morning to avoid the crowds. You can do the entire city in a day or 2, But there are day Trip options to some islands like Hydra as well.

6. Checkout George's taxi service. Worth the money.

7. We like to stay in American branded hotels. YMMV.

8. There are lot of vegetarian options. My wife didn't have any issues as she is one too.

Enjoy the trip.
worthit

Post by worthit »

Also, check out

https://santorinidave.com/greece

This will give you an idea.
realclemsongrad

Post by realclemsongrad »

andyandyandy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:19 pm Thank you all! Couple follow up questions:

THanks again!
I recall the Airbnb in Athens having washer and not dryer. Regarding SIM we used airalo esim which had a good package. You can get it when you are here.
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

This past September we stayed at The Athens Gate hotel. Centrally located with a nice view of the Acropolis.
2marshmallow

Post by 2marshmallow »

3 nights in Santorini

We went to Greece back in 2018. In Athens we stayed at the Hotel Hera. It worked well for us, a 5 minute walk to the Acropolis, which we first visited in late morning and it was very crowded. We went again the next day at the time it opened (8:30?) and it was a totally different experience with few people there. Apparently the tour buses arrive around 10:00 AM. Highly recommend going early.

We went to Santorini and stayed in Fira at the Volcano View Hotel. Great views out over the water from a high vantage point. If you like historical ruins like Pompeii, don't miss Akrotiri. It is several thousands of years older than Pompeii (!) Oia was also a stunning town with postcard views everywhere. People rave about sunset there and the crowds are incredible at that time. We thought it (the sunset) was overrated as there are great sunsets all over the world.

We rented a car in Naxos for a day. It was easy. Don't rent a large car - the roads, parking spaces, etc., tend to be small.

We took two guided day tours in Greece and thought they were a great value. Let someone else do the driving and you can take in the views and get knowledgeable commentary along the way.

For us (older couple), the gem of the visit was the island of Sifnos. Small, relatively unknown, no major ruins. We stayed at a hotel with a porch that had outstanding views out over the Platis Gialos bay. Mornings sipping coffee while watching the sunrise over they bay was unforgettable.

This may be my favorite vacation of all time, though my wife would definitely say hers have been the visits to Italy.

General advice would be to carry water with you wherever you go.

Enjoy the trip!

2marshmallow
2marshmallow

Post by 2marshmallow »

andyandyandy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:19 pm Thank you all! Couple follow up questions:

THanks again!
We had laundry done somewhere, I think Naxos. Yes, there are laundromats around. Greece derives a relatively large percentage of its GDP from tourism, so you can count on the tourist facilities to be good.
We booked our trip with the help of a Greek travel agent - the only time we ever used a travel agent. They arranged the inter-island ferries (use the high speed ones so you don't waste time), and all the transfers from boat to hotel. It was worth it.
I did not need a new SIM as I had a international calling plan at that time with one of the major US carriers.

2marshmallow
kupuna

Post by kupuna »

We enjoyed our stay on Santorini in 2023. El Greco Resort & Spa worked for us with two teenagers. They loved the pool and it was a short walk to Fira.

Here Link: https://elgreco.com.gr

Kupuna
"I can calculate the motions of the heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people." Sir Isaac Newton
Rowan Oak

Post by Rowan Oak »

Have you looked at Rick Steves' guide books? Very helpful information and updated each year.

Greece: Athens & the Peloponnese Guidebook
https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/greece-guidebook
— Rick's picks for sights, eating, sleeping
— In-depth coverage of Athens and our favorite destinations in the Peloponnese
— Also includes Delphi and the islands of Hydra, Mykonos, and Santorini
— Stuffed with fun self-guided neighborhood walks and museum tours
“If you can get good at destroying your own wrong ideas, that is a great gift.” – Charlie Munger
talzara

Post by talzara »

andyandyandy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:33 pm But this time, we've finally booked our trip to Greece for this August!

We'll be flying into Santorini first and departing from Athens. We have a total of 9 nights and 8 days to explore.
If your ticket can be changed, it would be better to time your Santorini visit to avoid the cruise ships.

In August 2024, there are days with 13,000 cruise ship passengers in Santorini, and there are days with 2,000. You will enjoy Santorini much more on a day with 2,000 cruise ship passengers.
talzara

Post by talzara »

Rowan Oak wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:05 pm Have you looked at Rick Steves' guide books? Very helpful information and updated each year.
The OP's children "are more interested in outdoor activities, beaches, and a bit of history, rather than museums."

Rick Steves likes museums, history, and a bit of outdoor activities, rather than beaches. Some Rick Steves guidebooks include 50 pages of museum guides in them.
stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 »

I stayed in Thera and liked it. Mykonos isn't bad but I think with the cruise passengers that frequent the island it was too crowded.. so probably want another location if you're looking for a more laid back vibe.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

2marshmallow wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:33 pm For us (older couple), the gem of the visit was the island of Sifnos. Small, relatively unknown, no major ruins. We stayed at a hotel with a porch that had outstanding views out over the Platis Gialos bay. Mornings sipping coffee while watching the sunrise over they bay was unforgettable.

This may be my favorite vacation of all time, though my wife would definitely say hers have been the visits to Italy.
I want to echo this. I really encourage folks to at least find one smaller/lesser visited Greek island to explore. Back in 2021 my first trip post Covid was to Greece (actually Covid was still really a thing at that point). But anyway I decided to spend about a week of my two weeks on the tiny island of Symi. Mostly because I could get away from the tourist hordes. I have been to 55 countries so far and have had some epic trips and my seven days in Symi ranks right up there. Just a beautiful town (perhaps one of the prettiest ports in Greece) and some amazing hikes where I could walk out of town and not see another human for hours. Hiked to the ruins of a Byzantine castle hidden the woods (it was honestly just this side of a pile of rocks but the journey and views were epic), to a stunning beach that I had all to myself other than a couple of feral donkeys, to a centuries old cliff side church and monastery (which were each one room) and just unlocked for anybody to walk in, and some amazing coastal walks. Greece has many dozens of these smaller islands.
sidartvader

Post by sidartvader »

We (wife and I) were in Athens and Santorini in Oct 2023. It was one of the best trips we have taken! Weather was fantastic, there were still enough people around to keep the atmosphere bustling. We stayed in Oia in a nice resort with pool and unbelievable views straight from our room. We rented ATVs in Santorini and were able to go all over the island to check out vistas, restaurants etc. We took a ferry to a neighboring volcano and also did a fair bit of hiking.

In Athens, we stayed very close to the Parliament, which was a short walk to the Parthenon and other attractions. Did not need any car rentals. Most places were within walking distance.

We are both vegetarians and had absolutely no trouble getting great food anywhere in Greece.

I am sure your family will have a blast in Greece. We are planning to go to Peru this year!
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

3 nights in Santorini

Hot. Plan on a long siesta. Acropolis either first thing or towards end of day (in the middle of the day, it could be fearsome - but the crowds might be less?).

Other than the Acropolis, I am not sure there is so much out of doors to see in Athens? There's Delphi of course which is relatively close - but that's also going to be crazy crowded.

These last summers have seen some record heat. The mainland has also had severe wildfires - which can't have done Athens' famous smog any good (the fires came right up to the outskirts).

I think you are hitting on super popular places, in the peak of the season. If you can find less visited islands, I would consider it. Athens in August could be torture due to heat but good news, many of the inhabitants should be on holiday.

I would imagine you can arrange a laundry though the hotel. They will charge you for it but it's one way of doing it.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

sidartvader wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:04 pm We (wife and I) were in Athens and Santorini in Oct 2023. It was one of the best trips we have taken! Weather was fantastic, there were still enough people around to keep the atmosphere bustling. We stayed in Oia in a nice resort with pool and unbelievable views straight from our room. We rented ATVs in Santorini and were able to go all over the island to check out vistas, restaurants etc. We took a ferry to a neighboring volcano and also did a fair bit of hiking.

In Athens, we stayed very close to the Parliament, which was a short walk to the Parthenon and other attractions. Did not need any car rentals. Most places were within walking distance.

We are both vegetarians and had absolutely no trouble getting great food anywhere in Greece.

I am sure your family will have a blast in Greece. We are planning to go to Peru this year!
Athens in October is not Athens in August. August can be brutally hot. October should be nice (unless the rains come earlier than I think).
Topic Author
andyandyandy

Post by andyandyandy »

Thanks all for all the help -appreciate it! Finalized few details:

Aug 2-4: 3 nights in Santorini
Aug 5-6: 2 nights in Naxos
Aug 7: 1 night in Athens (back from Naxos). Try late evening Acropolis (if not possible try early morning Aug 9th)
Aug 8 : 1 Night - 2 day Guided Tour to Delphi and Meteora (Open for better suggestions nearby Athens or to replace with another Island)
Aug 9-10 :2 Nights back in Athens
Aug 11:Fly back next morning!

Please advice if it sounds too much with 2 teenage kids!

Also do I need any guided Tours in Santorini, Naxos or Athens? Is the bus Service good enough for Santorini? If plan looks good I do need guided Tour with Transportation and Hotel for Delphi and Meteora.

Thanks again!
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

Love it.

We went on our honeymoon 10 years ago - Athens, Sifnos and Santorini. Then back to Athens to fly home.

Loved Athens - will be hot so early morning for key touristy stuff. I'd get a guide.

Sifnos - Incredible. Otherworldly beauty. Went swimming at the church (it's a thing) and ate some of the best food we've ever had.

Santorini - was nice. Rented a car and had a fun day and a great lunch in the country outside Ios. The town was beautiful but the cruise ship crowds were a turnoff - but possible to avoid if you time activities accordingly.
marielake

Post by marielake »

I've been to Greece twice. First trip to the Pellaponese area (great for ancient history), Crete, Santorini and Athens. Second trip stayed in Naxos, AntiParos and Sifnos. I think it was from Naxos that we did day trips to near-by islands, which was a plus. One of day trips was to Mykonos--it was busier and more commercial.

In Santorini, we stayed in OIa and were very happy with decision--it was recommended by a Greek friend who honeymooned there. It's one of the most breathtaking areas I've ever been to--mostly remember a wine cruise with horn musician playing under a clear blue sky. We did not need a car, we took taxis. Negatives for Santorini were the cruise boats overtaking the paths; we learned to stay close to hotel. Beaches were rocky. As a second island, I would consider Crete. Add another night or two there and take it away from Athens--depends iwhether or not you like big cities. Athens was really hot even in Sept.

Sifnos was my favorite island on the second trip.
skinnybuddha

Post by skinnybuddha »

Some general points
- yes it will be hot, go to the acropolis as soon as it opens
- do not go to Mykonos, it has become extremely crowded and expensive. I really enjoyed Paros last year - people say it is what Mykonos was 20 years ago
- every way to get to/from the small islands is unreliable (ferries can be very delayed, little Greek airlines can be delayed and lose checked bags)
- Nafplio is a fabulous day trip from Athens. You can see Mycenae on the way. Driving was pretty easy there.
marielake

Post by marielake »

I did the 5 day Delphi/Meteora tour (Pelopanese area)--it is all about ancient history. Loved the first part of it; Meteora was unique but overwhelming. It was a very long bus ride back to Athens. If possible, drop Meteora and spend more time on the Delphi portion of tour if you decide to go that route.
mageedge

Post by mageedge »

I agree with the time/distance comments with regard to Delphi/Meteora - around 10 hours riding bus/car for the round trip. As an alternative you might consider the earlier recommendation of Nafplio. Stops at Old Corinth, Mycenae and Tiryns en route; overnight then enjoy the fortress and old town at Nafplio then stop at the theater of Epidaurus on return. These are wonderful sights which I think the kids will enjoy as well as you. It's less than 2 hours from Nafplio to Athens airport via good roads. (And the airport is probably the best place for car rental). I'm sure you can get guided tours from Athens if you don't want to drive.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

marielake wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:59 am I've been to Greece twice. First trip to the Pellaponese area (great for ancient history), Crete, Santorini and Athens. Second trip stayed in Naxos, AntiParos and Sifnos. I think it was from Naxos that we did day trips to near-by islands, which was a plus. One of day trips was to Mykonos--it was busier and more commercial.

In Santorini, we stayed in OIa and were very happy with decision--it was recommended by a Greek friend who honeymooned there. It's one of the most breathtaking areas I've ever been to--mostly remember a wine cruise with horn musician playing under a clear blue sky. We did not need a car, we took taxis. Negatives for Santorini were the cruise boats overtaking the paths; we learned to stay close to hotel. Beaches were rocky. As a second island, I would consider Crete. Add another night or two there and take it away from Athens--depends iwhether or not you like big cities. Athens was really hot even in Sept.

Sifnos was my favorite island on the second trip.
Crete was, in my experience, quite a long way-- almost worth flying. Then when you get there it's a very big island. I really think that's a separate trip?

Athens heat (and perhaps air pollution) is not to be underestimated.
Watty

Post by Watty »

andyandyandy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:25 am Aug 2-4: 3 nights in Santorini
Aug 5-6: 2 nights in Naxos
Aug 7: 1 night in Athens (back from Naxos). Try late evening Acropolis (if not possible try early morning Aug 9th)
Aug 8 : 1 Night - 2 day Guided Tour to Delphi and Meteora (Open for better suggestions nearby Athens or to replace with another Island)
Aug 9-10 :2 Nights back in Athens
Aug 11:Fly back next morning!
As I recall the Athens airport is a very long way from the tourist areas of Athens. We took busses or shuttles to and from the airport so we were traveling in traffic. It has been a while so there may be a metro line or train to the airport now which might still have been under construction when we were there. Anyway be sure to research how you will get to the airport. If you have an early flight you might want to spend your last night at a hotel near the airport.
OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner »

• Welcome PickUps was awesome for airport trips. We used them both arriving and departing Athens, as well as arriving and departing Santorini.
  • 2 days was enough in Athens for us. That was enough to do all the historical stuff as well as have a few great meals and visit some breweries/taprooms
  • Santorini was beautiful but I would advise not staying in Oia. We did one afternoon there (after hiking from Fira) and it is so crowded that time of year (we went in May and it was already ramping up. August is on another level). We MUCH preferred Fira and we actually stayed in Imerovigli and were super glad we did. Incredible views, and much less hustle and bustle. Easy walk from there to Fira and the bus service is great for traveling to other villages on the island
  • Speaking of, I can not recommend the hike from Fira to Oia enough. Incredible views. Perhaps my favorite part of the whole trip. We took the bus back to Fira after having lunch in Oia at the end of the hike.
  • Skip Mykonos completely unless you are super interested in high-end nightlife and influencer type stuff
Last edited by OnceARunner on Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
andyandyandy

Post by andyandyandy »

Thank you so much all for replies!

Seems like Delphi/Meteora might be too much so will reduce/replce.
Will take a guide in Athens.
Do I need guided tours in Santorini or Naxos?

Thanks
marielake

Post by marielake »

[/quote]

Crete was, in my experience, quite a long way-- almost worth flying. Then when you get there it's a very big island. I really think that's a separate trip?

[/quote]

We flew directly from Athens to Crete and then fast ferry to Santorini. Worked well. Spent 3 days in old town and 4 days by the sea. Agree that Crete is a big island and needs more than a few days.

Delphi might not be too far, but Meteora is. Depends on how much time you have. I don't think either Naxos or Santorini require a guide--at least we didn't have one.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

andyandyandy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:33 pm 5. Athens: Best time to visit the Acropolis? Any other nearby attractions?

I just returned from an eight day trip mostly spent in Athens three days ago. Still fighting the jet lag as I type this.

5. The best time to visit the Acropolis is to purchase your entry tickets online ahead of time for the first timed group which is 8 a.m. This eliminates the need to stand in the ticket line at the entrances to the Acropolis. Once they open the gate, we hiked directly up to the top to get the best uncrowded experience. We were persons 2 through 5 up on top. By mid morning through the afternoon, when each hour opens up, hundreds of people are going up in each timed group. When we saw what there was to see on top, we slowly worked our way back down looking at the sights we skipped which are mostly skipped by the hordes heading up.

6. There is no way in Hades I would rent a car in Athens. The parking is insane and the traffic isn't much better. We stayed at the Hotel @Syngrou Fix which is only about six or seven blocks from the Acropolis, Acropolis Museum and easy walking distance to the Agora and main tourist areas at the base of the Acropolis. It was also just a block and a half from the nearest entrance to the subway system that goes all the way out to the airport. We also went to Delphi and booked it through a tour group. There is very limited parking at the Delphi site for private vehicles. The tour buses dump you off right at the entrance and pick you up at the nearby museum later. Our package included a late lunch stop in the nearby village of Arachova on the way back. It is an extremely beautiful city on the side of a mountain. Our bus tour picked us up about five blocks from our hotel and returned us back there that evening so we didn't stay overnight at Delphi.

7. We actually got a suite at Syngrou Fix, run by the motel. It had three bedrooms, three beds, a living room, two bathrooms and a kitchenette. We enjoyed it tremendously since we spent eight nights there.

8. Every restaurant or cafe we ate at had plenty of vegetarian options along with several places that catered to Vegans as well. We ate the hotel breakfast buffet which is by far the best one I've ever eaten at every morning. For lunch we mostly found small cafes that are everywhere and ate marinated fish in oil, other seafood, souvlaki sandwiches, and other local dishes. Keep in mind Greeks typically eat lunch around 2 pm so if you go during typical American times, you will have the places mostly to yourself. In the evening, we usually just ordered various appetizers to go with the fresh bread that is always served when you sit down at your seat. Make sure you try the tzatziki sauce!

9. There are laundry mats in Athens and there was one a few blocks from our hotel.

10. We booked our ferry directly through Blue Star Ferries which operates about 80% of all the ferries in Greece, so I was told. Make sure if you book a ferry that you board in the port of Piraeus at the end of the blue line subway in Athens, that you pay attention to the maps they show you when booking your tickets and not just assume it is easy to find if you go to the gate number assigned. We went to our gate (E8) and found that there were dozens of ferries spread out over half a mile of boardwalk and it took a bit of walking and asking to find the correct ferry to Aegina, where we spent a day.

Besides the Acropolis, if you like hiking, hike up the Hill of the Nymphs nearby for a great view of all of Athens and the Parthenon as well as sites like Socrates prison cell. A more intense hike is to hike to the top of Lycabettus Hill which is the tallest hill in central Athens. Our youngest is 11 yo and hiked up it way more easily than I did. We packed a picnic lunch with us and ate at the top platform on the built in benches there. The Acropolis Museum was great too and part of your ticket when you hike up to the Parthenon. Spend an afternoon walking the trails around the Agora at the base of the Acropolis and looking at old ruins including the best preserved temple in all of Greece to the patron of metal workers.

Honestly, some of my favorite days since I'm not a Greek history buff, were just the ones we spent hiking to the top of the various hills mentioned above and sampling our way through Greek cafes and shops.
cableguy

Post by cableguy »

I was there last summer.
* Very hot
* Plan out...be early....for top tourist attractions. Some of them like the acropolis will actually close once crowds get to certain limit.
* Bring comfortable walking shoes, hats, sunglasses, and sun screen. So much to see....but so so hot.
* Taxi cabs in Athens were common, safe, and reasonable. "Andy's Tours" is a bus, van company if you need one in Athens.
* www.viator.com is a GREAT resource. All the tours you would ever want are on that site / app
* Food options are great...all types and price ranges. At the foothills of the acropolis are a bunch of old streets with tons of shops, restaurants, etc.
* Santorini is beautiful...you'll learn why everything is white with blue roofs on your tours...

Have fun!
Topic Author
andyandyandy

Post by andyandyandy »

Thank you all! Booked Syngrou Fix at Athens!
Working on Rest!

Any suggestions on Stay in Santorini- I think kids will love the beach so thinking of Perissa or Kamari- and it seems like public transportation is available.

Also, another family joined us and they suggested Milos(Instead of Nexos). It looks like it has great caves and rock formations near beach areas!
brandysurfing

Post by brandysurfing »

Milos is amazing, although Naxos remains my personal favorite. Generally, you can hardly go wrong with any of the Cyclades, as all these islands are incredibly beautiful. As for Athens, there is a big holiday on the 15th, so generally the 10th-20th of August is when most locals go on holiday and Athens is a bit less crowded. I've been there around Christmas and in August - it's like two different cities (talking about the wider city center). This seems to work well for you. I'd suggest watching the video in the Acropolis Museum before climbing to the Acropolis, it will give you a whole different perspective. The best dessert is the orange pie (portokalopita). There are plenty of pies in Greek cuisine that your wife could have, as they are with spinach, potatoes, or cheese. Also, dolmades and fava with caramelized onions are very delicious and vegetarians can have them.
canidothat

Post by canidothat »

As a volcanic island, Milos does offer very unique rock formations, and let's call them dramatic landscapes. And I'm happy to see someone likes portokalopita as much as I do, even if I still struggle to pronounce it.
snapping moments–one bajillion buttons at a time
Nivek

Post by Nivek »

We were in Greece last year in October/November. Loved it. A couple of quick points:

1. Santorini (or any other island) - check the dates on cruise mapper and see how many ships are there. When there are multiple cruise lines, its pretty unbearable. Good thing is they are mostly all gone at night. Not sure if you have options to change dates but I would try an avoid it when there are multiple lines but that may be unavoidable during that time of year
2. Athens - very walkable, we stayed at an airbnb in the Plaka area. We walked EVERYWHERE and loved it
3. Acropolis - same as everyone else - go early and prebook tickets. We had older family with us and did a tour that had skip the lines and enjoyed it. Not sure if your kids would enjoy that though. If it was just my wife and me, we would have done it on our own and gone earlier
Ringofire

Post by Ringofire »

3 nights in Santorini

Oia, if you can afford it. Otherwise, wherever you can find reasonable accommodation.. the beaches can be interesting (black sand, volcanic rock etc.), but not great in the traditional sense.

Ferries, any specific activities.

Naxos!!!

Early in the morning. It gets very hot late morning in the Summer and there is no shade. There is a beautiful park at the base of the Acropolis, and if you go up the Philopapos Hill in the park you can get a great view of the Acropolis and the Parthenon.

Meteora is a great place to visit, but in my opinion too far from Athens for a day trip (possible, just not recommendable). Delphi can be a great day trip. I would also recommend the part of the Peloponnese that is close to Athens - Nemea is a hidden gem; Nafplio is beautiful.

PLEASURE

Post by PLEASURE »

Mykonos is now a major rip-off and beaches hard to get to. Not for families, but for young people looking for nightlife. Went to these 2 islands last year so my facts are current.
Naxos is lovely but don't go from Mykonos as ferry is limited (the last leaves at 5 pm) and expensive - €50 p.p one way!

Rhodes and Crete are lovely and have lots of history as well.
Topic Author
andyandyandy

Post by andyandyandy »

Ringofire wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:24 am

3 nights in Santorini

Oia, if you can afford it. Otherwise, wherever you can find reasonable accommodation.. the beaches can be interesting (black sand, volcanic rock etc.), but not great in the traditional sense.

Ferries, any specific activities.

Naxos!!!

Early in the morning. It gets very hot late morning in the Summer and there is no shade. There is a beautiful park at the base of the Acropolis, and if you go up the Philopapos Hill in the park you can get a great view of the Acropolis and the Parthenon.

Meteora is a great place to visit, but in my opinion too far from Athens for a day trip (possible, just not recommendable). Delphi can be a great day trip. I would also recommend the part of the Peloponnese that is close to Athens - Nemea is a hidden gem; Nafplio is beautiful.

Thank you so much! For Meteora - we are not looking for day trip. We will just visit Delphi on day 1 - stay in close to Meteora - and do Meteora next day and come back. Is that reasonable?

Also to save time I am looking options for Taxi options in Santorini. Seems like mist offering private tours per person/per hour cost. Do you have ANy suggestions for Taxi? For Santorini stay we are inclined to stay on Kamari beach as in any morning or evening kids can enjoy the beach. Suggestions?

Thanks a ton!
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I don't know about Santorini since we never went there but at least in Athens, we just used our Uber app. It worked just like here in the States. We used it to get from our hotel to the airport on our last day since the subway/train system didn't start until 5 am and we had a very early flight out.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

We went to Greece in May of 2023, with an itinerary of Athens for 4 nights, a flight to Santorini where we stayed for 4 nights, a ferry to Mikonos where we stayed for 5 nights, a flight to Athens where we stayed for 3 more nights.
Our hotel arranged airport transfers for us at 40 euros each way for our initial arrival into Athens. We did the historical sites walking everywhere from our centrally located hotel. We rented a car in Santorini and it was inexpensive and we drove all over the island. Stayed at the Vedema, a Luxury Collection resort by Marriott. The ferry ride from Santorini to Mikonos was crazy, but at least it was almost on time. We rented a car in Mikonos and stayed at the Theoxenia hotel, within sight of the iconic windmills. We drove all over Mikonos, which had a markedly different landscape from Santorini. The beaches there were much better than Santorini.
Renting cars on the two islands meant no airport transfers, no Ubers and no buses. We flew back to Athens and rented a car again for airport transfers and day trips from Athens to local sites. We stayed at the Athens Marriott, which is not centrally located and seemed like a jump off hotel for cruises. That was fine as we had already done the centrally located historical sites.
Our flights to and from the islands were on Aegean, a major island using Airbus A320’s for the 30 to 45 minute flights. They went perfectly.
BigDundee

Post by BigDundee »

andyandyandy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:10 pm Thank you all! Booked Syngrou Fix at Athens!
Working on Rest!

Any suggestions on Stay in Santorini- I think kids will love the beach so thinking of Perissa or Kamari- and it seems like public transportation is available.

Also, another family joined us and they suggested Milos(Instead of Nexos). It looks like it has great caves and rock formations near beach areas!
DW and I have been to Greece many times being of Greek decent. Santorini is a beautiful island, but be prepared it is very touristy. The Greeks from Athens do not vacation anymore in Santorini or Mykonos due to the partying & crowds.

We have been to both Naxos and Milos. My vote would be for Milos even though Naxos is a beautiful island as well. Naxos has become quite popular destination the last couple of years. Hence it is more crowded now. Milos is where Greeks from Athens go to vacation now. We always use a travel agent in Greece for rental car, ferries, airplane, and transfer reservations. DM me and I can give you the travel agent we use.

Milos: Great beaches and caves as you mentioned. Definitely rent a car to get to all the great beaches.
Sarakiniko Beach: There are many large white rocks and it is like being on the moons surface. Very unique. My DSs loved jumping off the cliffs into the ocean and exploring caves here, bring flashlight. Stunning beach went twice.
Alogomandra Beach: Nice cove outlet great for swimming with clear multi color waters. Lots of shade in cove with main beach in the sun.
Kletiko: Amazing to see but, only by boat. One of our favorite swimming and photo experiences. The boat will stop at Kleftiko and you can swim inside the caves. Half day tour is enough wouldn't do a full day tour. Call ahead for reservations, but also for status of the winds as boat tour can get canceled.

Restaurants
Medusa-Seafood restaurant right on the water near a fishing village. Bring a jacket or long sleeves as winds pick up.
O Hamas-Traditonal Greek Taverna. So good went twice. Everything is made farm to table. Considered the best by locals.
Kivotos Bakery- My DW said she would drive to Apollonia just for the warm Galatobouriko.
Utopia Cafe- Go early for the sunset. Views rival Santorini & Mykonos. Arrive at 6pm as it is a small cafe and fills up fast. Grab a drink, some mezes, & go for dinner nearby.
Gyros: Tis Milou- at port. Grab a gyro and get kids ice cream afterwards next door.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

THY4373 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:34 am
2marshmallow wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:33 pm For us (older couple), the gem of the visit was the island of Sifnos. Small, relatively unknown, no major ruins. We stayed at a hotel with a porch that had outstanding views out over the Platis Gialos bay. Mornings sipping coffee while watching the sunrise over they bay was unforgettable.

I want to echo this. I really encourage folks to at least find one smaller/lesser visited Greek island to explore. Back in 2021 my first trip post Covid was to Greece (actually Covid was still really a thing at that point). But anyway I decided to spend about a week of my two weeks on the tiny island of Symi. Mostly because I could get away from the tourist hordes. I have been to 55 countries so far and have had some epic trips and my seven days in Symi ranks right up there. Just a beautiful town (perhaps one of the prettiest ports in Greece) and some amazing hikes where I could walk out of town and not see another human for hours. Hiked to the ruins of a Byzantine castle hidden the woods (it was honestly just this side of a pile of rocks but the journey and views were epic), to a stunning beach that I had all to myself other than a couple of feral donkeys, to a centuries old cliff side church and monastery (which were each one room) and just unlocked for anybody to walk in, and some amazing coastal walks. Greece has many dozens of these smaller islands.
We are going to a smaller, less visited island this September. I won't say which, because I don't want ya'll clogging it up. :D

We've done the Meteora, Delphi, Athens, Santorini, Mykonos, Crete thing. It was wonderful, but once was enough. I love the food and people of the country and now just want to hang out in a place without ruins and endless shops.
Topic Author
andyandyandy

Post by andyandyandy »

BigDundee wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:14 pm
andyandyandy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:10 pm Thank you all! Booked Syngrou Fix at Athens!
Working on Rest!

DW and I have been to Greece many times being of Greek decent. Santorini is a beautiful island, but be prepared it is very touristy. The Greeks from Athens do not vacation anymore in Santorini or Mykonos due to the partying & crowds.

We have been to both Naxos and Milos. My vote would be for Milos even though Naxos is a beautiful island as well. Naxos has become quite popular destination the last couple of years. Hence it is more crowded now. Milos is where Greeks from Athens go to vacation now. We always use a travel agent in Greece for rental car, ferries, airplane, and transfer reservations. DM me and I can give you the travel agent we use.

Milos: Great beaches and caves as you mentioned. Definitely rent a car to get to all the great beaches.
Sarakiniko Beach: There are many large white rocks and it is like being on the moons surface. Very unique. My DSs loved jumping off the cliffs into the ocean and exploring caves here, bring flashlight. Stunning beach went twice.
Alogomandra Beach: Nice cove outlet great for swimming with clear multi color waters. Lots of shade in cove with main beach in the sun.
Kletiko: Amazing to see but, only by boat. One of our favorite swimming and photo experiences. The boat will stop at Kleftiko and you can swim inside the caves. Half day tour is enough wouldn't do a full day tour. Call ahead for reservations, but also for status of the winds as boat tour can get canceled.

Restaurants
Medusa-Seafood restaurant right on the water near a fishing village. Bring a jacket or long sleeves as winds pick up.
O Hamas-Traditonal Greek Taverna. So good went twice. Everything is made farm to table. Considered the best by locals.
Kivotos Bakery- My DW said she would drive to Apollonia just for the warm Galatobouriko.
Utopia Cafe- Go early for the sunset. Views rival Santorini & Mykonos. Arrive at 6pm as it is a small cafe and fills up fast. Grab a drink, some mezes, & go for dinner nearby.
Gyros: Tis Milou- at port. Grab a gyro and get kids ice cream afterwards next door.
Thank you so much! Appreciate
dannyboy

Post by dannyboy »

I just got back from Greece a few days ago. Some tips in no particular order:
  • Get the 8AM Acropolis ticket (important!). Even in March it was an absolute zoo by 8:45, but if you lined up closer to 7 or 7:30 you could be one of the first in line that day and complete the "walking circuit" of the Acropolis without seeing too many people.
  • If you're interested in other ruins besides the Acropolis (Ancient Agora, Roman Agora, Library of Hadrian, etc.), get the combined ticket. I found the non-Parthenon ruins less impressive and generally very "ruined" (haha) but maybe I'm just a philistine.
  • Taxis are very safe and readily available in Athens, but you can also call them via Uber. I think there might be a small additional fee, but I felt it was worth it to have some digital "paper trail" of every ride just in case.
  • Definitely do not rent a car in Athens.
  • We spent a lot of time climbing on Kalymnos, which is one of the smaller Aegean islands. I probably wouldn't recommend it if you aren't going to climb, but it did encourage me to consider smaller, less touristy islands for future trips in the area. A close friend has been to Lipsi many times and always raves about it (beautiful beaches, few tourists, great food, fun hiking, etc.).
  • I have been using eSims (via Airalo and FlexiRoam X) on all my recent international travel and it's very easy/cheap. Also doesn't require you to fuss around with buying and keeping track of another physical sim.
Topic Author
andyandyandy

Post by andyandyandy »

dannyboy wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:07 am I just got back from Greece a few days ago. Some tips in no particular order:
  • Get the 8AM Acropolis ticket (important!). Even in March it was an absolute zoo by 8:45, but if you lined up closer to 7 or 7:30 you could be one of the first in line that day and complete the "walking circuit" of the Acropolis without seeing too many people.
  • If you're interested in other ruins besides the Acropolis (Ancient Agora, Roman Agora, Library of Hadrian, etc.), get the combined ticket. I found the non-Parthenon ruins less impressive and generally very "ruined" (haha) but maybe I'm just a philistine.
  • Taxis are very safe and readily available in Athens, but you can also call them via Uber. I think there might be a small additional fee, but I felt it was worth it to have some digital "paper trail" of every ride just in case.
  • Definitely do not rent a car in Athens.
  • We spent a lot of time climbing on Kalymnos, which is one of the smaller Aegean islands. I probably wouldn't recommend it if you aren't going to climb, but it did encourage me to consider smaller, less touristy islands for future trips in the area. A close friend has been to Lipsi many times and always raves about it (beautiful beaches, few tourists, great food, fun hiking, etc.).
  • I have been using eSims (via Airalo and FlexiRoam X) on all my recent international travel and it's very easy/cheap. Also doesn't require you to fuss around with buying and keeping track of another physical sim.
Awesome tips! Thank you so much!
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I didn't think to mention it earlier and it is probably true at any heavily tourist populated areas of the world, but beware of scam artists. I consider myself pretty savvy and still got hit up three different times during my week in Athens. The first scam were people standing along the paths offering you food samples, and then asking you to pay for them after you've eaten them. I just walked away. The second was a fellow who simply asked my daughter to hold up her finger so he could show her something neat. The next thing I know is he had bracelets around her arm and my other daughter and then wanted $40 Euros for them. I told him to cut them off. This went back and forth for a few minutes ruining our meal (we were at a sidewalk cafe) so I gave him $5 Euro and told him to scram which he did. Final scam was a guy who started a conversation with me and then realized his brother ran a restaurant near my hometown which I mistakenly volunteered to him. He wanted to write down his address so I could visit and say I has seen his brother but didn't have anything to write with. I ended up in a nearby bar where he wanted me to have a complementary drink before he would give me the address. At that point I knew it was a scam so walked out and went my way.
Topic Author
andyandyandy

Post by andyandyandy »

lthenderson wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:23 pm I didn't think to mention it earlier and it is probably true at any heavily tourist populated areas of the world, but beware of scam artists. I consider myself pretty savvy and still got hit up three different times during my week in Athens. The first scam were people standing along the paths offering you food samples, and then asking you to pay for them after you've eaten them. I just walked away. The second was a fellow who simply asked my daughter to hold up her finger so he could show her something neat. The next thing I know is he had bracelets around her arm and my other daughter and then wanted $40 Euros for them. I told him to cut them off. This went back and forth for a few minutes ruining our meal (we were at a sidewalk cafe) so I gave him $5 Euro and told him to scram which he did. Final scam was a guy who started a conversation with me and then realized his brother ran a restaurant near my hometown which I mistakenly volunteered to him. He wanted to write down his address so I could visit and say I has seen his brother but didn't have anything to write with. I ended up in a nearby bar where he wanted me to have a complementary drink before he would give me the address. At that point I knew it was a scam so walked out and went my way.
Wow! Thanks for the heads up!
Are there any tourist agencies that run the scam too- If I book the tour and it turns out they just got the money and disappeared?