IRS Now Requiring ID.me again?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Fogler

Re: IRS Now Requiring ID.me again?

Post by Fogler »

I was worried that I need to go through id.me verification mess because I don't have a postpaid mobile, but to my surprise I just got PIN from IRS via mail. In the past, I used to get my PIN online. So it seems like IRS understands that id.me will pose issues to some people.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

fumni21

Post by fumni21 »

do you have some direction on how i can successfully log back into my ID.ME account since i have forgotten the password and There is no MFA registered for my account.

i’ve been emailing and accessing a chat room by the ID.ME support desk but have gotten no replies of support since june 2023 when i first realized i cannot get back into my IRS.gov account.
tunafish

Post by tunafish »

fumni21 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:30 pm do you have some direction on how i can successfully log back into my ID.ME account since i have forgotten the password and There is no MFA registered for my account.

i’ve been emailing and accessing a chat room by the ID.ME support desk but have gotten no replies of support since june 2023 when i first realized i cannot get back into my IRS.gov account.
Their support desk is a bot. You have to keep at it, sending multiple emails, until it finally gives you a chance to contact a human.
fumni21

Post by fumni21 »

ive been doing this process of reaching out to them since june 2023. ive tried a number of different ways, and yes its ALWAYS been a bot
meebers

Post by meebers »

I have had ID.me for several years and decided to get a link to the IRS. (ID.me people must assume that everybody has a cell phone). MY ID.me contact number is a land line. Can't do video, selfies etc. Only choice for verification # is text or phone. I chose phone, did not ring but discovered that a text was left on my answering machine as a recording???? IF I had tried this today, would have been appropriate for April Fools day. Still they were asking for a selfie video. I do have a cell phone that I had to type in my number instead of the registered one [LL] and was able to provide the selfie. No drivers license or any other documents were required. After about 3-4 minutes, was granted access to the IRS. :beer
zincTwo

Post by zincTwo »

... still waiting on the dust to settle on ID.me vs login.gov

I got one... then found out that it only gave me one of the two sites that I wanted.
I backed out, and am just doing login+password until they figure out which one they want to settle on/migrate to.
tj

Post by tj »

zincTwo wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:14 pm ... still waiting on the dust to settle on ID.me vs login.gov

I got one... then found out that it only gave me one of the two sites that I wanted.
I backed out, and am just doing login+password until they figure out which one they want to settle on/migrate to.
Did IRS finally approve login.gov for use?
single2019

Post by single2019 »

tj wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:21 pm
zincTwo wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:14 pm ... still waiting on the dust to settle on ID.me vs login.gov

Did IRS finally approve login.gov for use?
No. As of now, the only way to login to your irs account is to use id.me