Intuit's Mint App Shutting Down...Replacement Recommendations?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
CuriousGeorgeTx

Re: Intuit's Mint App Shutting Down...Replacement Recommendations?

Post by CuriousGeorgeTx »

mander75 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:26 pm Time is almost up ie 2 more weeks for Mint to be there. If one has closed Mint - what steps did you do? One that I must do is to save all my historical data. Did you save it as CSV?

I moved to Empower. It does not allow Mint import. But want to keep Mint data for future reference.

Thank you.
I have been using Empower since mid December and it seems like it is good enough. I wish there were a Note field to add more information about certain transactions, but I’m going to stick with it.

I downloaded all of my Mint history as CSV files. Note that there is a limit to the number of transactions you can download in one batch (I don’t remember the number - something like 10 k). I broke mine up into bite sized chunks using the date filter, then recombined them in a worksheet so I can search if needed. Good luck.
alexp

Post by alexp »

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question about empower. I will consider ignoring the calls or change the phone number in my profile if needed.

Does anyone know what will happen to Mint data if one is not moving to CK? Will they automatically delete everything? I am not interested in downloading the data but will it be advisable to manually delete it for privacy reasons before losing mint access?
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

JerryB wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:27 am Can Credit Karma transactions be downloaded to a spreadsheet? Also, I don’t see a way to edit the title of a transaction and no way to customize the tags. Possibly this is a basic (free) product?
There are kludges for doing that. Here is a Python script for classifying the items: https://github.com/EricHeidbreder/Credi ... ionHistory
Here is a JavaScript function: https://www.reddit.com/r/mintuit/commen ... om_credit/

All subject to it breaking when they inevitably change the website, of course.
Cobra Commander

Post by Cobra Commander »

alexp wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm Thanks to everyone who responded to my question about empower. I will consider ignoring the calls or change the phone number in my profile if needed.

Does anyone know what will happen to Mint data if one is not moving to CK? Will they automatically delete everything? I am not interested in downloading the data but will it be advisable to manually delete it for privacy reasons before losing mint access?

I saw this on Empower's website and it looks like you can e-mail and ask to be placed on the do not call list. I think you might need your phone number in there for 2FA although maybe someone that is better at tech than me knows a way to work around that.

Opt-out Information

If you request to be added to our opt-out lists from our communications activities arising from your use of the Empower Dashboard, we will keep your personal information on those opt-out lists until you request to be removed from such lists. We allow you to opt-out of the following:

Promotional or Product Notification emails - See reference
Advisor phone calls - Notify your advisor at the time of the call to place you on the Do Not Call List or reach out to our support team at donotcall@personalwealth.empower.com.
Physical mailings - send your request to our support team at support@personalwealth.empower.com to be added to the opt-out list
Short Message Service (SMS) messages - Empower supports industry standards for SMS opt-out such as replying with “STOP” to opt out of such messages.
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

Is there a Mint alternative that is best for if you just want to track expenses? I don't care about net worth and never even linked any brokerage accounts to Mint. I just like to have all our expenses pulled into one place for easy review and tracking/comparing by category and year.
ZIP2C

Post by ZIP2C »

alexp wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm
I went with Fidelity Full View, and will not be going with Credit Karma. Just to make sure, I downloaded all previous transactions from Mint, and deleted my Mint account. After several “are you sure” prompts, it was deleted (I hope all the personal data will be deleted also).

I tried to login to Mint after that and got --

“We got your request. You won't be able to use any products you're deleting data from while we work on your request. You can cancel this request within 72 hours of when you made it"
StewedCarrot

Post by StewedCarrot »

Onlineid3089 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:26 pm Is there a Mint alternative that is best for if you just want to track expenses? I don't care about net worth and never even linked any brokerage accounts to Mint. I just like to have all our expenses pulled into one place for easy review and tracking/comparing by category and year.
I tried a few and settled on Quicken Simplifi.

Try your banks’ aggregation too, if they have it. USAA and BoA both have capable aggregators for example.
armeliusc

Post by armeliusc »

Onlineid3089 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:26 pm Is there a Mint alternative that is best for if you just want to track expenses? I don't care about net worth and never even linked any brokerage accounts to Mint. I just like to have all our expenses pulled into one place for easy review and tracking/comparing by category and year.
This is what I am doing: just tracking expenses from my CCs and checking accounts. As I said above, I moved to Monarch. It's really close to Mint and I am sticking to it, happy with it so far. It's not perfect, there are some missing functionalities, but good enough. Note that I've not tried all the other options previously mentioned.
shashi

Post by shashi »

I am in the same boat but for migrating to Credit Karma, I need to enter my SSN. This was a no go for me. Tried Fidelity and Empower. Not happy with either. Nothing comes close to Mint. Still looking.
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

shashi wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:16 pm I am in the same boat but for migrating to Credit Karma, I need to enter my SSN. This was a no go for me. Tried Fidelity and Empower. Not happy with either. Nothing comes close to Mint. Still looking.
I went ahead and migrated mine to Credit Karma this morning so I don't get busy and miss the chance. Downloaded all the Mint data before I did that so that's at least available to me up to yesterday.

Using the link in my Mint account I didn't have to enter anything but a new password for Credit Karma though I did have to confirm via a texted code that the info they came up with was me. Maybe it wasn't able to get a match for you and needs the SSN for that?

I only poked around in Credit Karma for a minute or two. Initial impression is that I definitely don't like it as much as Mint. I guess I'll decide over the next month or two if the expense tracking grows on me or if I need to start trying alternatives.
siamond

Post by siamond »

I downloaded all the mint transactions this morning, for archive. Then I deleted all the cc/bank accounts I was linked to, then and only then asked Intuit to delete all remaining data. Hopefully, this will clean things up enough before CK starts taking over...

I went down the Empower/Personal-Capital route. I have a couple of concerns, but this seems manageable. Let's see what happens...
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

shashi wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:16 pm I am in the same boat but for migrating to Credit Karma, I need to enter my SSN. This was a no go for me. Tried Fidelity and Empower. Not happy with either. Nothing comes close to Mint. Still looking.
If you're a spreadsheet nerd, Tiller is a good choice. I am liking it so far:

https://www.tillerhq.com
MileKing

Post by MileKing »

siamond wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:34 pm I downloaded all the mint transactions this morning, for archive. Then I deleted all the cc/bank accounts I was linked to, then and only then asked Intuit to delete all remaining data. Hopefully, this will clean things up enough before CK starts taking over...

I went down the Empower/Personal-Capital route. I have a couple of concerns, but this seems manageable. Let's see what happens...
Did the same and then requested Intuit delete my Mint account. Don't have a CK account and can't see any reason to create one. Went with Monarch a few months ago and it's been good. Not perfect, but the interface is better than Mint ever was and I have far less connection issues.
leland

Post by leland »

Debating whether to try CK or do the delete today...Downloaded all the transactions and poured one out for Mint earlier in the week. I did have a CK account pre Intuit (historically useful for tracking Chase 5/24 and other credit card issuer rules); if nothing else I should delete a few of my Intuit accounts between legacy CK, legacy Mint and legacy TurboTax... Or maybe if I have too many accounts I'll confuse their data on me? :D

Think I'll go with the idea that if it asks for a social I'm out, otherwise will let it go forward.

Edit: With an existing CK account no need for a social, just might have two accounts to delete if I don't like it (CK and original mint account). Plenty of other places to check credit history and reports these days.
GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover »

I have been using Empower / Personal Capital for almost 8 years. Sadly, in the last few months it has broken. Main symptom is huge discrepancies between account value and sum of holdings (at least for Fidelity and Tastytrade accounts) making the asset allocation feature useless. It is also unable to download info from two different Fidelity sets of credentials; one set hasn’t updated since mid February; before then all worked fine. I have reported the issues, which they claim are Yodlee’s problems, with no timeline for resolution. I can no longer recommend.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

GeraniumLover wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:28 pm I have been using Empower / Personal Capital for almost 8 years. Sadly, in the last few months it has broken. Main symptom is huge discrepancies between account value and sum of holdings (at least for Fidelity and Tastytrade accounts) making the asset allocation feature useless. It is also unable to download info from two different Fidelity sets of credentials; one set hasn’t updated since mid February; before then all worked fine. I have reported the issues, which they claim are Yodlee’s problems, with no timeline for resolution. I can no longer recommend.
I believe the issue is that Fidelity made changes to their feed. They have no incentive to make it easy to get your data out of them.
rene

Post by rene »

Sandi_k wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:29 am
If you're a spreadsheet nerd, Tiller is a good choice. I am liking it so far:

https://www.tillerhq.com
This

Tried them all for tracking expenses. Tiller by far my favorite.
EricGold

Post by EricGold »

Drew31 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:42 pm This will never be a popular answer, but I still contend building your own spreadsheets is the best way.

To each their own, but life for me got easier, not harder, once I built my own spreadsheets and left Quicken, YNAB, others behind.
Same experience in my home, but I had to tinker for years before I and my wife were satisfied. I grade myself as an adept layperson when it comes to SS. Pivot tables and compound formulas surely, and a little scripting. I recently learned Google sheets' Lambda functions thinking they were cool and practical (and because I want my coding legible), but I have yet to actually use them. These days we track expenses out of habit, curiosity, and some degree of micro-management and OCD on my part. My wife tracks purchases mostly to convince herself there has not been fraud or identity theft. She also appreciates me bringing all my non-online receipts to her for entry out of nosiness.

A long time ago I set up credit cards to auto-pay the full balance as frequently as the the card allowed. I happily give up the interest implied in a grace period to gain near real time cash flow. I am still capable of occasionally over drafting (OD) the checking account out of laziness or forgetfulness but my bank (USAA) has an OD feature so good, it is reason alone to stay with them: immediate notice, prime rate APR and no fees. For me it makes ODs a matter of pennies since I can cash out some money market at Schwab and transfer to my OD account in about 2 days. If USAA continues to deteriorate, I may eventually transfer checking to Schwab. For now things are "Good Enough"

I used to also review credit card statements to catch fraud, but these days I'm pretty comfortable relying on Google Pay for two reasons: one, virtual CC numbers are used; and 2, I get notifications of purchases on my phone that I glance at, confirm, and forget. I find that chore easier a bit at at time, and when my memory is fresh. But since my wife is the primary shopper offline, my preferences barely count here. Online purchases are different for us. I have an engrained habit of immediately logging any purchase in the SS, and since it is customized exactly to our preferences it only takes a few seconds (literally) to input the data exactly how I want it, and I'm already on the computer.

Perhaps the killer feature that sealed Google Docs' SS for us is the sharing. Others are catching up but Google is the king of the cloud
GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover »

exodusNH wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:45 pm
GeraniumLover wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:28 pm I have been using Empower / Personal Capital for almost 8 years. Sadly, in the last few months it has broken. Main symptom is huge discrepancies between account value and sum of holdings (at least for Fidelity and Tastytrade accounts) making the asset allocation feature useless. It is also unable to download info from two different Fidelity sets of credentials; one set hasn’t updated since mid February; before then all worked fine. I have reported the issues, which they claim are Yodlee’s problems, with no timeline for resolution. I can no longer recommend.
I believe the issue is that Fidelity made changes to their feed. They have no incentive to make it easy to get your data out of them.
It also is displaying incorrect data about my Tastytrade account balance/holdings, so not just a Fidelity issue.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

GeraniumLover wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:21 am
It also is displaying incorrect data about my Tastytrade account balance/holdings, so not just a Fidelity issue.
Tastytrade is a rounding error. According to their own page, they have 105,000 accounts. Schwab has 30,000,000.
GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover »

exodusNH wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:54 am
GeraniumLover wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:21 am
Tastytrade is a rounding error. According to their own page, they have 105,000 accounts. Schwab has 30,000,000.
Maybe so, but it renders Empower's tools useless to me since I cannot get accurate Net Worth or Allocation information from it.
cbr shadow

Loved Mint, Hate Credit Karma - Good Alternatives?

Post by cbr shadow »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

My wife and I have been using a loving Mint for many years. Mint has been replaced by Credit Karma which we don't like, so I'm wondering what alternatives people here are using. We loved Mint because it was reliable for tracking our NW and seeing our expenses. Mint has always kept us motivated to save and keep an eye on where our money was going. We're having trouble with Credit Karma linking accounts or keeping them linked.

I see there are lots of other options, but I'm not sure if those options are better than Credit Karma. Some new platforms are even marketing to previous Mint users with discounts. Some require a subscription fee ($9/mth up to $14/mth from what I've seen) which I would gladly pay if it was a good reliable platform.

Just a few points to keep this discussion on track:
- I realize we could track things manually with excel or quicken or a piece of paper, but we're not interested in this. :-)
- I understand why Mint wasn't profitable and how Credit Karma addresses those issue

Anyone here using a different platform that we should check out?
Gadget

Re: Loved Mint, Hate Credit Karma - Good Alternatives?

Post by Gadget »

I also loved Mint and hate credit karma.

You could try Empower. Formerly personal capital. I deleted it a year or two ago because it wasn't as good as Mint for me, but it tracks net worth well. It is just so so on tracking expenses. Keep in mind my opinion on empower may be very outdated now though.

I'm currently using Fidelity Full view. It's not as good as Mint, but it is close enough and a lot of my data is already with Fidelity. It too does a good job at tracking net worth, but is just OK at tracking spending and handling budgets.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged cbr shadow's thread into the ongoing discussion.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and provided a link to this thread.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
siamond

Post by siamond »

Well, I thought that I was good to go with Empower / Personal Capital, but... The darn thing doesn't properly sync up accounts with 2FA (two-factor authentication). First, it often takes forever to sync up (or just fail doing so). Next, if you catch it on a good day, it does sync up after asking you for your 2FA token, but it only retrieves a few days worth of transactions. The refresh button is of no use (also it doesn't ask again for 2FA, so... no way this can work). I never had such an issue with Mint.

I have the same issue on two accounts of a very different mature, Venmo and E*Trade checking/savings. Can't find an answer online. And Empower's support is notoriously useless (I asked about this issue last month, got a vague non-answer of reentering login credentials 3 weeks later, which doesn't help)...

Sounds that I'll have to initiate a trial with Tiller and Monarch and go over my reluctance to pay for such aggregation service... :shock:
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

siamond wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:18 am Well, I thought that I was good to go with Empower / Personal Capital, but... The darn thing doesn't properly sync up accounts with 2FA (two-factor authentication). First, it often takes forever to sync up (or just fail doing so). Next, if you catch it on a good day, it does sync up after asking you for your 2FA token, but it only retrieves a few days worth of transactions. The refresh button is of no use (also it doesn't ask again for 2FA, so... no way this can work). I never had such an issue with Mint.

I have the same issue on two accounts of a very different mature, Venmo and E*Trade checking/savings. Can't find an answer online. And Empower's support is notoriously useless (I asked about this issue last month, got a vague non-answer of reentering login credentials 3 weeks later, which doesn't help)...

Sounds that I'll have to initiate a trial with Tiller and Monarch and go over my reluctance to pay for such aggregation service... :shock:
I find syncing issue with all of the free service especialliy with 2FA enabled. Mint and Empower were all that great with customer support. Fidelity fullview isn't supergreat either. I reported an issue at the beginning of March and have ping them periodically and they tell me that they will contact me when they ahve something to report.

My mom don't want to pay for the aggregation, so I will stick with the free service for now for her. hopefully people who pay for Tiller or Monarch gets better help. I recall people who pay for mint don't often get better help with syncing.
Josh5000

Mint alternative? Security risks?

Post by Josh5000 »

[Merged into ongoing discussion - moderator oldcomputerguy]

Happy Good Friday community,

With Mint going away, what would any use? I always like Mint and felt it was safe and with no issue in all the years I had it, it is safe to say it was safe. Are there free alternative out there that is safe? What about just using a well-established credit card or bank app to track spending. I am tempt to give ApplePay a try if it has a way to provide spending tracking tool.

Thank you.
BogleTaxPro

Re: Mint alternative? Security risks?

Post by BogleTaxPro »

Josh5000 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:48 pm Happy Good Friday community,

With Mint going away, what would any use? I always like Mint and felt it was safe and with no issue in all the years I had it, it is safe to say it was safe. Are there free alternative out there that is safe? What about just using a well-established credit card or bank app to track spending. I am tempt to give ApplePay a try if it has a way to provide spending tracking tool.

Thank you.
viewtopic.php?p=7529370&hilit=Mint#p7529370 mega-thread.
Josh5000

Post by Josh5000 »

Is Credit Karma free? It is listed as free online but I saw a youtuber saying it has monthly fee? Anyone using it yet?

And no, I am not creating a spreadsheet and hand-jam information from 15 credit cards and 5 banks. Nor would I pay an person to do so because it would be either too expensive or not trustworthy if the cost is low.
tj

Post by tj »

Josh5000 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:06 pm Is Credit Karma free? It is listed as free online but I saw a youtuber saying it has monthly fee? Anyone using it yet?

And no, I am not creating a spreadsheet and hand-jam information from 15 credit cards and 5 banks. Nor would I pay an person to do so because it would be either too expensive or not trustworthy if the cost is low.
Yes, Credit Karma is free. But I have not heard of anyone who has recommended it as a Mint replcaement.
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

Don't forget to delete access from Mint from each of your account just to be on the safe side.
saagar_is_cool

Post by saagar_is_cool »

gavinsiu wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:22 am Don't forget to delete access from Mint from each of your account just to be on the safe side.
How do you do that. Right now, Mint only shows one button - to move data to creditkarma
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

saagar_is_cool wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:13 am How do you do that. Right now, Mint only shows one button - to move data to creditkarma
If you are not moving to credit karma, you start by deleting your data. When you link an account with mint it often set up an application access in the account. For example if you allow mint to access Wells Fargo you will see intuit entry in the Wells Fargo’s settings.
FatefulTanker

Post by FatefulTanker »

FatefulTanker wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:33 am
csm wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:40 pm
FatefulTanker wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:22 pm
I considered just continuing to use Personal Capital and to just delete mint, but I've been really wanting to be the customer and purchase a solution, instead of being the product. I am discouraged at how many Personal Capital aggregation issues I've had at Personal Capital, so I think I'll just continue to use that as a backup.

So I've been trying Quicken Simplifi (3 month trial -> a year free if you import some mint data) and Quicken Classic for Mac Deluxe (50% sale so $30 for a year). I like being the customer instead of the product, and they have decent customer chat and phone support. They do have issues but I've settled on Quicken Classic, but since I got Quicken Simplifi for a whole year I'll keep checking it out.

Simplifi is the newer software, all web based. It doesn't really do bills like I want, but finds recurring transactions. It will find your $1.99 Hulu subscription, but I'm really more concerned about my $5000 visa bill due in 10 days. I really wanted to like Simplifi better, but it doesn't handle credit card bills as well and the home/overview page has nothing I want to see and it truncates my account list.

Quicken Classic Mac has a better view for my use case so I did eventually settle on using it for now because I can see all my accounts and get my credit card bills monitored and almost all of them automatically downloaded, some with the actual bill pdf file.

It's also very nice to have a ad free experience. I won't miss Mint and am ready to cut my Personal Capital use to investment accounts only.
I'm similar to you. I'm having a lot of issues with Personal Capital - some that they have not resolved for two years (missing accounts within a single bank log-in; inability to link to some accounts) so I'm ready to move on.

However, I like the dashboard of PC where I can see net worth (investments, cash accounts, liabilities) and also see the asset allocation of my investments. And I like to monitor my credit cards multiple times per week to keep an eye on spending, potential fraud, payments due, credits due, etc.

I was a Quicken user many moons ago - late-80's through 90's, but stopped when I moved to the Mac ecosystem and they initially did not support Mac. I think I tried one of the early Quicken for Mac products (or considered it) but it had poor user reviews and wasn't useful in the early days.

Edited: [I found the offer for Mint users to try Simplifi, so am doing so.] I would love to love Simplifi because I prefer a web-based app since I use multiple devices, but wonder if it will give me the investment side overview that I like.

As a Personal Capital user, do you find either of the Quicken products to give you a similar dashboard overview as PC? I don't need bill pay features, but do want to monitor credit card spending, although don't necessarily need budgeting.
I haven't done any investment testing with either Simplifi or Quicken. I don't really care for either of theer dashboards. I am sticking with Quicken because I like it running on my desktop and it doesn't truncate my long account names.

I've decided to separate the two use cases. Keep using PC and Fidelity Full View for investments, and Quicken for or Simplifi for spending and banking. I just need to add a single manual account in the PC or Fidelity for 'cash'. Probably delete all the non-investment accounts from PC. I also have some spreadsheets for some things so I have never had a single tool for it all.
I'm still very happy with Quicken Mac. I've had very few updating errors and the ones I've had cleared up in a day. The only connection that required 2FA every time it updated was Navy FCU and they just updated that connector to one that seems to be a real API and requires permission from Navy FCU. Funny enough, they use Intuit as it said "Quicken Classic uses Intuit to connect" when I updated to the new Navy FCU connector.
leland

Post by leland »

Finally played with CK, just adding a +1 to those who have said not to bother.

I previously used CK for credit history of open accounts. Any good alternatives to recommend for that so I can close CK entirely?
siamond

Post by siamond »

After the Empower / Personal Capital disappointment, I played around with Tiller and... aside from the annual fee which is a little steep... I LOVE IT!

It's not for everybody, given how spreadsheet-centric this is, but it's perfect for my needs (I only care about tracking our expenses). It imported flawlessly from all our accounts, except our Michael's credit card. This gave me a good excuse to create a manual account and import corresponding transactions after a minute of spreadsheet fiddling. Then I customized the main template to allow for a very straightforward spreadsheet export towards my own offline tools, cool. Transaction splitting works fine. And we can add notes and whatever extra fields we want to annotate transactions, excellent! I also really like how straightforward and explicit the categorization tool is, it just took me a few minutes to recreate all the categorizing I had on Mint.

This actually made me realize I could do everything by myself, e.g. download CSV files from our banking and credit card accounts, normalize the format with a few simple formulas, then categorize by keywords. I made a quick feasibility prototype and yeah, it wouldn't be that hard.

I think I'll stick with Tiller for this year, just because it seems quick and easy and because downloading a dozen CSV files every month would be a bit of a hassle, but if & when we simplify our set of CCs, I might switch to a fully homegrown approach (would be good to avoid sharing my financial passwords with aggregators, even though 2FA really helps adding security in this respect)...