Solar eclipse glasses

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JBTX

Solar eclipse glasses

Post by JBTX »

Anybody have an idea where you can get legit/safe solar eclipse glasses? Apparently there’s a lot of junk from China out there. If you look at Walmart most of them say “NASA approved” but NASA says they don’t approve such things. Amazon had lots of choices with listed certifications but that doesn’t mean they are actually certified.
Rose

Re: Solar eclipse glasses

Post by Rose »

Listening to this podcast may be useful, esp. regarding the effect on eyes.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/c ... 0650810535
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

I got mine at Home Depot for the one last October.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

JBTX wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:44 pm Anybody have an idea where you can get legit/safe solar eclipse glasses? Apparently there’s a lot of junk from China out there. If you look at Walmart most of them say “NASA approved” but NASA says they don’t approve such things. Amazon had lots of choices with listed certifications but that doesn’t mean they are actually certified.

"Rainbow Symphony" is a trusted company, but purchase DIRECTLY from them.

https://www.rainbowsymphony.com/collect ... ar-viewers

I don't know if they offer expedited delivery at this relatively late date.

We purchased directly from them for the last eclipse, and again for this one.
(Last time, we purchased a few extras of the really inexpensive ones, cardboard frame, etc., in case there were others near us without any. However, we didn't see a single person without their own glasses. Good!)

And from:
https://www.space.com/36941-solar-eclip ... guide.html

"According to Rick Fienberg, press officer for the American Astronomical Society (AAS), most ISO-approved eclipse glasses use solar filters manufactured by AstroSolar and Thousand Oaks Optical. However, he did note that several different retailers sell eclipse glasses and handheld filters that are approved by the ISO.

The AAS has published a list of reputable vendors and manufacturers of eclipse glasses that includes Lunt Solar Systems, American Paper Optics and Rainbow Symphony
."

I would not purchase this type of item from any third-party seller, regardless of how they are labelled.
Yes, they should have certain markings, but... any "reasonable counterfeiter" (!?) would also be able to print that on the glasses...

Enjoy!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

It's a little late to be shopping for eclipse glasses, so the best strategy is to buy something, anything, and then look it over and try it out cautiously BEFORE the eclipse. If you live near a science museum, call and see if they have a gift shop and if they still have eclipse glasses, then drive there and get them.

In my opinion, one serious danger would be ordinary sunglasses falsely marketed as eclipse glasses. That can be detected by looking through them and knowing what to expect from real eclipse glasses. The American Astronomical Society has an article about counterfeit and fake eclipse glasses, with a section on "How to Spot Fake/Unsafe Eclipse Glasses."

The article is here. They continue:
If your glasses pass all three tests, they are probably safe. But if you aren’t completely confident of the safety of your eclipse glasses, you should use them sparingly. During the April 8th solar eclipse, look at the Sun through the glasses for no more than 2 or 3 seconds every 5 minutes or so. This will be enough to observe the Moon covering more and more of the Sun before maximum eclipse, then uncovering more and more of it after maximum eclipse.

“Staring at a partial solar eclipse for more than a few seconds at a time, even through perfectly safe solar viewers, isn’t much fun anyway,” says Fienberg. “It’s almost impossible to detect the Moon’s motion across the Sun in real time except with magnification, and you must never look through magnifying optics while wearing eclipse glasses.” Solar filters for camera lenses, binoculars, and telescopes must always be securely mounted over the front of the optics.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
LuckyInLife

Post by LuckyInLife »

For the eclipse last year, I was able to get two pairs at my local library. It's worth checking if that is available by you.
syc

Post by syc »

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

My wife has welding glasses that we used observe the last eclipse safely.
Topic Author
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

I opted for a few of these. Not the cheapest options but on the recommended list. Supposed to get here by Wednesday.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... asses.html
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

A welding helmet/glasses may be acceptable, though it needs to be the correct shade.

https://phillips-safety.com/safety-glas ... g-mask-be/
increment

Post by increment »

JBTX wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:06 pm I opted for a few of these. Not the cheapest options but on the recommended list. Supposed to get here by Wednesday.

My glasses came from B&H a few weeks ago. If you shop there, note that at least one of the items that comes up for "solar glasses" is not ISO-12312-2, and for which the B&H description literally says "Not Safe for Solar Viewing."
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

I bought a couple at the American Paper Optics factory store, which happens to be 12 miles from my home. APO is the world’s largest manufacturer of paper 3D eyewear, and definitely supplies the proper protective glasses. Unfortunately, the current forecast doesn't look good for viewing anywhere nearby on the 8th.

https://www.3dglassesonline.com/
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

My leftovers from the last total eclipse were from Meade Instruments, an optical equipment manufacturer.

Don't remember how I got them. BandH is a very trustworthy supplier of optical things.
physics911

Post by physics911 »

You want ISO 12312-2 approved glasses.
Use these before and after totality, but it is OK to look at the total eclipse with naked eyes.
55% Total US, 20% Total ex US, 25% Total US Bond: 52/52 DINK
physics911

Post by physics911 »

You want ISO 12312-2 approved glasses.
Use these before and after totality, but it is OK to look at the total eclipse with naked eyes.
Drewman

Post by Drewman »

LOCAL LIBRARY! We live in OHIO and we frequently visit 3 libraries, they all still have them as of last week!
syc

Post by syc »

physics911 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:59 pm Use these before and after totality, but it is OK to look at the total eclipse with naked eyes.
I suppose this is, very precisely, true. And one hears it a lot. But it is a very subtle message that I'm not sure the average public will be able to pull off precisely. Will everyone know *precisely* when "totality" starts and stops? For me and mine, it will be glasses always on, from start to finish. I also made two old fashioned pinhole projection viewers from cardboard boxes.
physics911

Post by physics911 »

syc wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:14 pm
physics911 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:59 pm Use these before and after totality, but it is OK to look at the total eclipse with naked eyes.
I suppose this is, very precisely, true. And one hears it a lot. But it is a very subtle message that I'm not sure the average public will be able to pull off precisely. Will everyone know *precisely* when "totality" starts and stops? For me and mine, it will be glasses always on, from start to finish. I also made two old fashioned pinhole projection viewers from cardboard boxes.
Look, I'm certainly not going to advise people to do things which can injure them, but it is not rocket surgery to know when you are at totality and when you are not. At totality, with glasses, you are missing the chance of a lifetime to see an amazing event. Across most of the US, totality is ging to last ~4 minutes and there are a ton of sites which will tell you exactly when it will occur. Don't miss the opportunity just because you don't understand the science.
realclemsongrad

Post by realclemsongrad »

JBTX wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:44 pm Anybody have an idea where you can get legit/safe solar eclipse glasses? Apparently there’s a lot of junk from China out there. If you look at Walmart most of them say “NASA approved” but NASA says they don’t approve such things. Amazon had lots of choices with listed certifications but that doesn’t mean they are actually certified.
Check out Warby Parker store and they advertise they will be giving them out starting tomorrow.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

realclemsongrad wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:39 pm
Check out Warby Parker store and they advertise they will be giving them out starting tomorrow.

Clever way to get people into their stores.

RM
realclemsongrad

Post by realclemsongrad »

ResearchMed wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:44 pm
realclemsongrad wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:39 pm

Clever way to get people into their stores.

RM
Absolutely esp for an optical store.
Kosh976

Post by Kosh976 »

I'd recommend your local science museum gift shop, planetarium etc.
Looking without glasses is sort of the whole point of being in the area of totality. You will know when it starts because it will be dark, like really, really dark. The temperature will drop, the birds will think it is time to sleep etc.

For me, seeing the sun's corona was the point of being in the path of totality last time around, and I'm pretty sure you won't see the corona with your eclipse glasses on.
Chuckles960

Post by Chuckles960 »

There are disposable cardboard thingys on Amazon that do say "ISO 12312-2" and do not say NASA. Some are quite cheap and have an A rating from Fakespot. For example, this one has 2-day free Prime delivery, $4 for two.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CJ4C9RQP

The question is whether to trust this.
larrydmsn

Post by larrydmsn »

Article on how to choose Solar Eclipse glasses: https://www.yahoo.com/news/fake-safe-en ... 00425.html
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

From the same aas.org site you reference above:

If you are inside the path of totality on April 8, 2024, remove your solar filter only when the Moon completely covers the Sun’s bright face and it suddenly gets quite dark. Experience totality, then, as soon as the bright Sun begins to reappear, replace your solar viewer to look at the remaining partial phases.

You are supposed to take the glasses off when you experience totality. Experiencing totality is the whole reason people travel miles to get into the totality zone. You don’t want to miss that.

https://eclipse.aas.org/eye-safety
986racer

Post by 986racer »

I saw the eclipse in 2017 and it was pretty obvious when to take the glasses off and put them back on. If anything, you are more likely to leave them on (when totality starts) longer than necessary because you don't realize it is safe to take them off. Once totality ends, the sun becomes blinding again. It would be really, really hard to not realize you need to put the glasses back on.

With that being said, I guess some people do manage to hurt themselves... Personally, I found even 99.9% of totality was still difficult to look at the sun without glasses.
syc

Post by syc »

physics911 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:21 pm
Look, I'm certainly not going to advise people to do things which can injure them, but it is not rocket surgery to know when you are at totality and when you are not. At totality, with glasses, you are missing the chance of a lifetime to see an amazing event. Across most of the US, totality is ging to last ~4 minutes and there are a ton of sites which will tell you exactly when it will occur. Don't miss the opportunity just because you don't understand the science.
[/quote]

What science are you referring too? Oh, I understand the physics. But there are other sciences involved here too: risk communication, psychology, sociology, anthropology . . . . These are the sciences of human cognition and human behavior. Bill Parsons was space shuttle program manager during the return-to-flight period after the Columbia disaster. Remember the foam coming off the external tank? Well, first flight after the Columbia breakup, foam again came off. Parson's acknowledged this, and also acknowledged the importance of understanding human behavior. Personnel in NASA did not always bring forth their safety concerns in meetings (long history of that.) Parsons, an engineer, said, "I didn't realize the shape of the table mattered. I should have taken more sociology courses."

I'm sure for most of the people on this forum, these instructions make sense and will be acted upon accordingly. I'm not sure about everyone in the population who might be inclined to try to watch the eclipse. "Well, I think I'm in the area of "totality" (whatever that means.) Or at least I think I'm close enough. Traffic was crazy; this is as close as I can get, but heck, what's a few miles?"

Hoping for clear skies on the big day!
eigenperson

Post by eigenperson »

syc wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:24 pmWhat science are you referring too? Oh, I understand the physics. But there are other sciences involved here too: risk communication, psychology, sociology, anthropology . . . . These are the sciences of human cognition and human behavior. Bill Parsons was space shuttle program manager during the return-to-flight period after the Columbia disaster. Remember the foam coming off the external tank? Well, first flight after the Columbia breakup, foam again came off. Parson's acknowledged this, and also acknowledged the importance of understanding human behavior. Personnel in NASA did not always bring forth their safety concerns in meetings (long history of that.) Parsons, an engineer, said, "I didn't realize the shape of the table mattered. I should have taken more sociology courses."
I would argue that you are the one who is missing the human angle.

A total eclipse is a transformative experience. They have stopped wars. If you have only seen it with the glasses on, you have not seen it, any more than someone who has seen a photograph of a fireworks display has seen fireworks.

Even if your vision were in any way at risk (which it isn't, even if you get a momentary too-bright glimpse of the solar surface at the beginning or end), it would be worth the risk. You've almost certainly risked more for less.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

JBTX wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:06 pm I opted for a few of these. Not the cheapest options but on the recommended list. Supposed to get here by Wednesday.

Attempted to order them now but says: "Back ordered".
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Chuckles960 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:31 pm There are disposable cardboard thingys on Amazon that do say "ISO 12312-2" and do not say NASA. Some are quite cheap and have an A rating from Fakespot. For example, this one has 2-day free Prime delivery, $4 for two.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CJ4C9RQP

The question is whether to trust this.
Some reviews:

Friendly neighborhood amazon buyer
1.0 out of 5 stars Glasses are completely black
Reviewed in the United States on March 24, 2024
Style: 2 PackVerified Purchase
These glasses like I've seen in other reviews are not see through at all. Literally 0 visibility. I had my wife put her phone flashlight up the other side and I couldn't even see a shimmer of light. Good for if you want to sleep without a comfortable pair of eye covers and block all light but not good for if you want to see an eclipse.

Jenna
1.0 out of 5 stars They're kids size
Reviewed in the United States on March 19, 2024
I didn't even take these out of the plastic, they were tiny and no way for adults

Adirondack Rick
5.0 out of 5 stars Matches my #14 welding goggles
Reviewed in the United States on March 10, 2024
Can't beat the price, and I tested them against my welding goggles, and they were equal to my #14 lenses.
14 people found this

book girl Kat
5.0 out of 5 stars They seem to work well. We'll see if I go blind in the next few years ;)
Reviewed in the United States on March 5, 2024
They claim to be ISO-compliant and have all the right things written on the glasses themselves, so I feel like they're probably legit and safe to use. I spent about 15 seconds staring at the sun through them on a clear day and didn't even get that shadow in my vision that is normal after looking at a bright light. I didn't feel any of the discomfort I usually do looking at bright things, so they seem to offer some protection (we'll see if radiation damage makes me go blind in the next few years, I guess lol).

Two things to note with these. By their very nature as cheap and disposable, they don't fit very well and I had to hold them against my face while using them so I wasn't getting secondhand light. I'm not taking any stars off for that considering the price and product, and that probably won't be as much of an issue during the eclipse properer.

The other thing to note is that you won't be able to put these on and walk around. Even on a sunny day, there is NO seeing through the lenses, so heed the warning printed inside of them and don't try to walk or drive with them on lol.

But they will definitely do the job. I'm tempted to take the second pair apart and try to tape one of the lenses over my cell phone's camera so I can get some pictures of the big event :)

Ian Murray
1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous
Reviewed in Canada on March 29, 2024
I ordered 2 pairs of these glasses to view the upcoming eclipse. I noticed that on one pair the dark lens material doesn't go all the way to the edge of the cardboard. There is a gap of about 1mm along the edge, where unfiltered light will get through. Not impressed. This could be dangerous and cause damage to the eye.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

physics911 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:21 pm
Look, I'm certainly not going to advise people to do things which can injure them, but it is not rocket surgery to know when you are at totality and when you are not. At totality, with glasses, you are missing the chance of a lifetime to see an amazing event. Across most of the US, totality is ging to last ~4 minutes [this is not correct] and there are a ton of sites which will tell you exactly when it will occur. Don't miss the opportunity just because you don't understand the science.
[emphasis added]

There is a lot of confusion about some of this. It's not surprising, as a *total* solar eclipse is both very infrequent and very dramatic.
"Almost 100% totality" is NOT "almost as impressive as 100% totality".
It's like night and day. Indeed, it IS "night and day"! :happy

When it is *dark*, it is dark. It's not an "almost" situation.
And that will not occur outside "totality".

As for "totality", this sentence is not correct:
"Across most of the US, totality is ging to last ~4 minutes..."

"MOST" of the USA will not have totality, full stop.
There will be a narrow band of totality, something like 100-200 miles wide, curving northeast from Texas to New England, and then into Canada.
And that's IT for totality in the USA.

Here is a link to an earlier thread about the eclipse that shows the band map, etc.:
viewtopic.php?p=7340787&hilit=eclipse#p7340787

(image from ShadowCat's post)

For the places within that band, IF THE SKY IS CLEAR UNDER THE SUN/MOON, totality will last up to approx 4 minutes. At the edges of that band, it will be much shorter, as the full diameter of the eclipse circle shadow won't be there.
Outside that band, there will not be totality in the USA during the 2024 eclipse.

Here is a YouTube from 2017, from Oregon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAEUYM4Een4

Start watching at about 4:00 minutes, just as totality is starting.
"You'll know it when you see it!" :wink:

Nope, we didn't catch it. In 2017, we were in Nashville, downtown. Mostly clear sky. As the light started to dim (and yes, it was *weird*), suddenly a small wispy cloud came right across the actual sun/moon.
And "totality" didn't look the same. It didn't get *dark*. :annoyed
(But hey, we had fun at the Grand Ole Opry the evening before!)
So we are going to try again next week...

RM
Topic Author
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

vnatale wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:03 pm

Attempted to order them now but says: "Back ordered".
Guess I got lucky. Shows as shipped for me.
physics911

Post by physics911 »

ResearchMed - thank you for further clarifying my statement about where there will be ~4 minutes of totality. My comment about "across most of the US" was meant to imply within the path of totality (the farther north you go the less time you get), and not the US as a whole, but I can certainly see how that might not be obvious to everyone who doesn't follow these things.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

FWIW, my shade 10 (gasp) welding glasses worked fine for the last eclipse and pass all 3 of the tests mentioned in the article. As totality approaches its more fun to look at the shadows and weird effects happening than the actual sun.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:21 pm

Nope, we didn't catch it. In 2017, we were in Nashville, downtown. Mostly clear sky. As the light started to dim (and yes, it was *weird*), suddenly a small wispy cloud came right across the actual sun/moon.

RM
So I'm a bit confused by this. If you were in the totality, how could a passing cloud prevent it from getting dark? Wouldn't the minimum light level be the same regardless of cloud cover?
just frank

Post by just frank »

alfaspider wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:25 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:21 pm

RM
So I'm a bit confused by this. If you were in the totality, how could a passing cloud prevent it from getting dark? Wouldn't the minimum light level be the same regardless of cloud cover?
The amount of darkness at totality varies with many factors, including stratospheric aerosols. But not clouds so much.

The 1991 eclipse I saw (6m52s) was not very dark because a prior volcanic eruption. It was spectacular anyway.

I'm hoping to spot the 'Devil Comet' midday this time.
sport

Post by sport »

Considering the potential for permanent eye damage, I do not plan to look at the eclipse even though I live right in the middle of the path. The idea of protecting my eyes with a $2 pair of cardboard glasses just does not seem prudent. I can do just fine without ever seeing an eclipse. It's just not important. Permanent eye damage is something I do not even wish to contemplate.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

sport wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:59 pm Considering the potential for permanent eye damage, I do not plan to look at the eclipse even though I live right in the middle of the path. The idea of protecting my eyes with a $2 pair of cardboard glasses just does not seem prudent. I can do just fine without ever seeing an eclipse. It's just not important. Permanent eye damage is something I do not even wish to contemplate.
This forum is good for some giggles. Wait until totality and you don't need anything. We aren't talking about the arc of the covenant here. Your eyes will only get damaged if you can ignore the pain response telling you to look away.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

sport wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:59 pm Considering the potential for permanent eye damage, I do not plan to look at the eclipse even though I live right in the middle of the path. The idea of protecting my eyes with a $2 pair of cardboard glasses just does not seem prudent. I can do just fine without ever seeing an eclipse. It's just not important. Permanent eye damage is something I do not even wish to contemplate.
A quick glance at even the fully bright mid day sun without eye protection isn't going to cause permanent retina damage. If you are concerned about the quality of the eye protection, just sneak a peak rather than looking at it the whole time.
yolointopants

Post by yolointopants »

Menards today had a bunch of them. They were $.88. Probably some sort of flimsy made in China junk, but it's Menards so I'm not surprised.

At any rate, if you're looking for a pair, Menards had them.
Angel of Empire

Post by Angel of Empire »

I used welding goggles in 2017. They worked just fine, but I thought the event was largely overhyped.

An alternative. No glasses needed. No travel. An on-demand total eclipse:
1- Lie on your back (bedroom, living room).
2- Look at a light on ceiling.
3- Slowly move your thumb over the light, then pause.
4- Repeat as often as one desires.

For those going for the real thing- ENJOY IT.
986racer

Post by 986racer »

Angel of Empire wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:33 pm I used welding goggles in 2017. They worked just fine, but I thought the event was largely overhyped.

I found it awe inspiring and life changing. I’ve convinced the wife that we are going to be eclipse chasers in retirement. She was very hesitant until I listed the cool upcoming locations
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

986racer wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:51 pm
Angel of Empire wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:33 pm I used welding goggles in 2017. They worked just fine, but I thought the event was largely overhyped.

I found it awe inspiring and life changing. I’ve convinced the wife that we are going to be eclipse chasers in retirement. She was very hesitant until I listed the cool upcoming locations
The only people I know that were underwhelmed were close to totality but not in it... Wondering if this person fell into that camp.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Here is a different idea for solar eclipse glasses. You do NOT look at the sun THROUGH them.

Any pair of NON-prescription reading glasses, the kind you buy for $10-$15 at a drugstore, one brand name "Magnavision." Pick the LOWEST power available, 1.5 diopters or 1.25 diopters... or even lower if they have them.

During the eclipse, pretend you are trying to use them as a burning glass (they will not set fire to anything). Hold the glasses near a light, smooth surface that is sort of facing more or less toward the sun. Hold them close to the surface and slowly move them farther and farther way. You will see a bright spot of light inside the shadow of the frame that will get smaller and brighter. Unlike a real burning glass, it will keep getting smaller and brighter until it comes into focus at a distance of a couple of feet. You are now looking at a projected image of the sun, and you should be able to see the progress. This spot of light is still pretty bright so you should not stare continuously at it, but it is only a tiny fraction of the sun's directly-viewed brightness.

If you want to be super scientific, cover the lens of the glasses with aluminum foil or black paper or something, into which you've cut about a dime-sized hole. It doesn't matter of the hole is beautifully round or irregular of square. This will "stop down" the image, and make it both dimmer and sharper. And then to get really fussy, try to shade the "projection screen" a bit from the sides.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
986racer

Post by 986racer »

barnaclebob wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:01 am The only people I know that were underwhelmed were close to totality but not in it... Wondering if this person fell into that camp.
I suspect you are right. We traveled with folks who decided to stay in about a 99% of totality rather than travel the additional 30 minutes to see totality. They also seemed underwhelmed
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

986racer wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:32 am
barnaclebob wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:01 am The only people I know that were underwhelmed were close to totality but not in it... Wondering if this person fell into that camp.
I suspect you are right. We traveled with folks who decided to stay in about a 99% of totality rather than travel the additional 30 minutes to see totality. They also seemed underwhelmed

Totality is an "all or nothing" thing.
99%, you'll get a dramatic "covering of the sun" (most of it), but there won't be the "night", the drop in temperature, the changes in sounds from birds, other animals, etc. (if one is in an area where that is relevant).

Sort of like pregnancy. It's a yes or a no, not "99% pregnant".

RM
clip651

Post by clip651 »

nisiprius wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:19 am Here is a different idea for solar eclipse glasses. You do NOT look at the sun THROUGH them.

Any pair of NON-prescription reading glasses, the kind you buy for $10-$15 at a drugstore, one brand name "Magnavision." Pick the LOWEST power available, 1.5 diopters or 1.25 diopters... or even lower if they have them.

During the eclipse, pretend you are trying to use them as a burning glass (they will not set fire to anything). Hold the glasses near a light, smooth surface that is sort of facing more or less toward the sun. Hold them close to the surface and slowly move them farther and farther way. You will see a bright spot of light inside the shadow of the frame that will get smaller and brighter. Unlike a real burning glass, it will keep getting smaller and brighter until it comes into focus at a distance of a couple of feet. You are now looking at a projected image of the sun, and you should be able to see the progress. This spot of light is still pretty bright so you should not stare continuously at it, but it is only a tiny fraction of the sun's directly-viewed brightness.

If you want to be super scientific, cover the lens of the glasses with aluminum foil or black paper or something, into which you've cut about a dime-sized hole. It doesn't matter of the hole is beautifully round or irregular of square. This will "stop down" the image, and make it both dimmer and sharper. And then to get really fussy, try to shade the "projection screen" a bit from the sides.
I don't think you need the glasses (lenses) at all for the type of thing you're talking about where you aren't actually looking towards/at the sun. Just a small hole and a surface (like a piece of paper or any smooth surface) to project onto. And maybe a cardboard box or something for a bit of extra shade from the sides. Directions from NASA for a pinhole camera:
https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/edu/learn/proj ... le-camera/

Not sure why they call it a camera, as it doesn't take an image (like a photo). It's more of a projected image, but anyway, it doesn't require one to look at the sun at all.

I think last time around there were even similar shadows produced by gaps between leaves on the trees, etc. I remember pictures online. Google search has lots of fun images:
https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... 9&dpr=1.67

I'm away from totality and can't travel next week, so I'll probably use that for viewing of the partial eclipse if we don't have clouds that day. I used the eclipse glasses for the partial eclipse viewing last time around and I think the pinhole thing will be more interesting this time around. But I still have the old eclipse glasses from last time in case I change my mind.
increment

Post by increment »

clip651 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:43 am Directions from NASA for a pinhole camera:
https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/edu/learn/proj ... le-camera/

Not sure why they call it a camera, as it doesn't take an image (like a photo). It's more of a projected image, but anyway, it doesn't require one to look at the sun at all.
(The word "camera" was used for this sort of device prior to the advent of photography.)
diy60

Post by diy60 »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:21 pm Nope, we didn't catch it. In 2017, we were in Nashville, downtown. Mostly clear sky. As the light started to dim (and yes, it was *weird*), suddenly a small wispy cloud came right across the actual sun/moon.

RM
We traveled to the Nashville area in 2017, but stayed on the outskirts. We watched as clouds rolled by an then miraculously there was an opening for the entire total eclipse event. Just goes to show it is the luck of the draw. This year we are traveling to a relatives home who is nearly in the middle of the band. Hoping for similar luck we had in 2017.
986racer

Post by 986racer »

ResearchMed wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:37 am Totality is an "all or nothing" thing.
99%, you'll get a dramatic "covering of the sun" (most of it), but there won't be the "night", the drop in temperature, the changes in sounds from birds, other animals, etc. (if one is in an area where that is relevant).

Sort of like pregnancy. It's a yes or a no, not "99% pregnant".
Completely agree. Even until the last few seconds of non-totality, I was like “meh”. Totality was something else entirely.

I wouldn’t even bother going to a place to see the eclipse unless it was in totality. Although, I haven’t been to an annular one yet