Fidelity Full View - You feel safe to use it? Alternatives?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
rBogfFor

Fidelity Full View - You feel safe to use it? Alternatives?

Post by rBogfFor »

I do my own portfolio analysis with spreadsheets, but I would not mind to synchronize my findings with
'official' tools, like the Full View Feature at Fidelity. It lets me, for example, 'see' my Vanguard accounts as well
(and banks, too), for the whole picture. In order to go beyond Fidelity the tool requires login information at the
other brokers/banks. I hesitate to do that, according to my personal policy of restricting my online footprint to the
smallest size possible. I do not like 'linking' things automatically.

2 questions then:

1) Am I too paranoid in hesitating to use Fidelity Full View?

2) I have time (and energy): Any (free?) tools where I would have to manually input my entire portfolio across all brokers/banks
to get a full view?
TimeIsYourFriend

Re: Fidelity Full View - You feel safe to use it? Alternatives?

Post by TimeIsYourFriend »

I mean how often do you really need to look at this? If Fidelity becomes compromised, then potentially all your accounts are compromised at the same time. Not a good strategy for convenience. Just use apps on an iphone with face id. I can get that info into a spreadsheet across all accounts in minutes.
"Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy." - John C. Bogle
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

I did try a similar aggregation service at another mutual fund company and found that it wasn't worth the bother for me. The idea was to have a dashboard that would reflect the activity of all of my financial accounts. I could track my spending and net worth and set up a budget. What I found was that certain accounts just would not link and those that did needed a refresh every so often by logging in directly to the financial institution through the aggregation service. I did set up accounts manually and then found it difficult to update them or even delete later on. It just seemed easier for me to manually input the information and keep things up to date. If the information on the dashboard isn't accurate for various reasons, it isn't of much value to me.
A fool and his money are good for business.
Leif

Post by Leif »

I tried it for a while. But, like you, did not feel comfortable with the idea of giving up my other passwords. That is part of the reason I consolidated my accounts. Earned a bit of a transfer bonus in the meantime.
Last edited by Leif on Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries »

rBogfFor wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:06 am I do my own portfolio analysis with spreadsheets, but I would not mind to synchronize my findings with
'official' tools, like the Full View Feature at Fidelity. It lets me, for example, 'see' my Vanguard accounts as well
(and banks, too), for the whole picture. In order to go beyond Fidelity the tool requires login information at the
other brokers/banks. I hesitate to do that, according to my personal policy of restricting my online footprint to the

2 questions then:

2) I have time (and energy): Any (free?) tools where I would have to manually input my entire portfolio across all brokers/banks
to get a full view?
I use Full View and I manually input my non-Fidelity account information. I update every pay period. It's not perfect but no worries about giving out my password.
We plan. G-d laughs.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I feel comfortable with it but could never get it to work with TIAA. I can't get TIAA's aggregator to work with some other institutions either. The only aggregator I've tried that works everywhere for me (currently) is Vanguard's Yodlee service. I'm not sure it's available to new accounts, though.
howard71

Post by howard71 »

I lost conficence in it years ago when I found a serious bug in their calculations. They were counting one of my accounts twice, thus overstating the worth of my portfolio as well as compounding it in future projections.

They may have fixed it by now but my inability to get them to even acknowledge it, yet alone fix it, turned me off once and for all.

So I just use my own spreadsheet now and enter everything manually. It's enough of a hassle to dissuade me from being a portfolio watcher, which, IMHO, is a good thing. I fill out the spreadsheet twice a year at most, sometimes only once at the end of the year.
Explorer

Post by Explorer »

I am perfectly happy with FullView and I do link all my external accounts. The external accounts provide a "read-only" interface to Fidelity/eMoney and the login/passwords are stored at Yodlee.

Most importantly, you can lock down account transfers (including money) at brokerages so it is extremely unlikely money is embezzled by some bad actors.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Explorer wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:55 am I am perfectly happy with FullView and I do link all my external accounts. The external accounts provide a "read-only" interface to Fidelity/eMoney and the login/passwords are stored at Yodlee.

Most importantly, you can lock down account transfers (including money) at brokerages so it is extremely unlikely money is embezzled by some bad actors.
Did you mean "not stored"? I thought for many institutions logins/passwords are not stored?
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

howard71 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:50 am I lost conficence in it years ago when I found a serious bug in their calculations. They were counting one of my accounts twice, thus overstating the worth of my portfolio as well as compounding it in future projections.

They may have fixed it by now but my inability to get them to even acknowledge it, yet alone fix it, turned me off once and for all.

So I just use my own spreadsheet now and enter everything manually. It's enough of a hassle to dissuade me from being a portfolio watcher, which, IMHO, is a good thing. I fill out the spreadsheet twice a year at most, sometimes only once at the end of the year.
Actually for me part of the value of an aggregator is the frequent monitoring aspect: the ability to see at a glance if anything is amiss or unexpected, without having to log on to 6 or 7 different websites.
crefwatch

Post by crefwatch »

I used the Vanguard version for many years. Like FullView, it is provided by a third party. And it certainly takes a leap of faith to allow them to keep your passwords around. But looking at the volume of Healthcare and Fin Serv pirate invasions lately, even the businesses themselves can't reliably secure their OWN information.

It's almost criminal how few Fin Serv companies refuse to allow a second, information-only login credential, with no transaction power. I imagine their lawyers told them that if they say it's "information only", then they are LIABLE for any breach, or something.

Because of periods that Vanguard's Full View was almost unusable, I switched to Yodlee, which has a new parent now, but works pretty well, and is free. Periodically, there are sites that become hard to automatically log into. Sometimes re-entering the same credentials restores it, or I find out that the provider now requires an entry giving Permission for an automated login. With waivers by me, of course!
RogerRabbit

Post by RogerRabbit »

I download account transactions quarterly into desktop Excel to update aggregate amounts and trends. Ease of this process was facilitated by reducing the number of accounts to check - rolling over old 401(k)s and otherwise minimizing # of taxable accounts and credit cards.

As best I can tell, desktop Excel doesn’t easily import stock, mutual fund, or bond prices but the Microsoft365 version can, so setup a table online to automate the quarterly import of prices and historical data and transfer it into the desktop sheet —
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/off ... 3cf07fbc54

There may be a better way to handle these tasks but I’ve found that most tools tailored for these activities want you to maintain your information on their servers.. which is what I’m trying to avoid.
Regards,

RR
jacksprat

Post by jacksprat »

To answer Q #2 -

Sounds like you want something more web based instead of another spreadsheet, and for that, I've not found anything free or anything that would track cost basis and not require your financial credentials..

But for a local spreadsheet then maybe try https://www.portfolioslicer.com/

Keep in mind for this to be of any value, you still need to retrieve external pricing data, so that may be a small risk involved - using the scripts needed.. Your personal financial credentials are not needed.
rBogfFor wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:06 am I do my own portfolio analysis with spreadsheets, but I would not mind to synchronize my findings with

2 questions then:

to get a full view?
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

The Vanguard dashboard and manually adding outside accounts to it is good enough for tracking investments for me. I am interested in finding a way to aggregate and track all expense details for checking and credit card accounts.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I just manually update my holdings with Fidelity to get their analysis. The Retirement Planner I find most useful.
feh

Post by feh »

I stopped using aggregators last year over the security concern.

It's easy enough to enter your portfolio into planning tools instead of handing usernames/passwords out.
Explorer

Post by Explorer »

tibbitts wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:58 am
Explorer wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:55 am I am perfectly happy with FullView and I do link all my external accounts. The external accounts provide a "read-only" interface to Fidelity/eMoney and the login/passwords are stored at Yodlee.

Did you mean "not stored"? I thought for many institutions logins/passwords are not stored?
Yodlee does store login/passwords.. otherwise they can't login and fetch transactions/values.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Explorer wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:16 pm
tibbitts wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:58 am

Yodlee does store login/passwords.. otherwise they can't login and fetch transactions/values.
Someone else who is more familiar with this will comment but there was a discussion here not too long ago that cooperating institutions can establish tokenized authentication through an API that doesn't require Yodlee to permanently store your password. So if you have many institutions in your Yodlee account it could be that logins/passwords are stored for some but not all of those institutions.
yogesh

Post by yogesh »

Ouse Fidelity “Planning” which is next version of full view and feel comfortable connecting other accounts. The experience is similar to that of mint with added goal tracking like retirement.
Emergency: FDIC | Taxable: VTMFX | Retirement: TR2040
bling

Post by bling »

security concerns over sharing usernames/passwords are for the most part a thing of the past. most banks will log you into their own websites -- your user/pass is not shared with the aggregator. only smaller credit unions/banks that haven't upgraded yet require your user/pass.
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

Most of these aggregator uses either Plaid or Yodlee Most work pretty much the same way, Ideally, they interact with the financial institution's application api. What will happen is that instead of storing your user name and password, they are establishing a link with your banks or brokerage. This will show up in your bank or brokerage as a third party application access, essentially it's a separate login that grants access to your bank or brokerage. The data is typically encrypted at rest and in transit, so I am thinking that hacks would be difficult.

There is probably some reduction in security. By using an aggregator, you are allowing some method of bypassing 2FA. Theoretically, it would be possible to hack the application api interface. In practice that info is going to be encrypted. Yodlee and Plaid is widely used but I haven't heard of any known breaches. In contrast, wireless carrier are constantly on the news with multiple data breaches in the same year. I am thinking that security is mostly good.

One other item to worry about is not related to data security but more toward privacy. There have been several lawsuit with Yodlee on the selling of your data.
Sagefemme

Post by Sagefemme »

howard71 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:50 am I lost conficence in it years ago when I found a serious bug in their calculations. They were counting one of my accounts twice, thus overstating the worth of my portfolio as well as compounding it in future projections.

I have had this happen on Full View as well, but never could understand how it happened. For years all my outside accounts were entered (by me) correctly. Then one day one account was on the list twice. I had not entered it again. It was such a big account though that I noticed immediately (as in, my net worth increased by about 70% in one day!). I just deleted one copy of that account and everything went back to normal.

More recently, after not looking at Full View for many months, I logged in to see that my net worth was half of what it should be. A bunch of my accounts had simply disappeared. There is no accounting for any of this and Fidelity never seems to know what happened.

I do like being able to monitor asset allocation with the push of a few buttons. This is mainly why I use Full View. But after spending an hour fixing my list of accounts I decided that the next time Full View either duplicates or "loses" some of my accounts, I'm gonna be out.
afan

Post by afan »

I check my asset allocation and hence networth twice year to determine whether I need to rebalance. Those are the only times I need to see all my assets at once.

I log in to each provider about once a month to look for anomalies. They are set up to notify me about any transactions. I suppose if someone were to hack an account they could turn off the notifications and it would take longer for me to find out.

I would not consider entering all my login information on one site. Hacks are far too common. And saving the minor work of logging in to each is not worth even a trivial increase in risk.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama
Topic Author
rBogfFor

Post by rBogfFor »

As a Fidelity and Vanguard customer I used Fidelity Full view to manually put in my Vanguard accounts.

Problems:
1) It is not intuitive that one can do that in the 1st place. They want login information and automatic linking, of course.
2) Anyway, after figuring out how to do that I found that it is not possible to assign an account type of ROTH IRA to an external
ROTH IRA. The TYPE drop-down list does not offer such a very basic and common type. How is that even possible? Do I overlook something here?
3) I do my own asset allocation monitoring via spreadsheets (e.g. by looking at Morningstar portfolio details for a given fund/ETF).
The Full View asset allocation report differs substantially. I have to assume the over-simplify. Where do they get the data from?

Anyone with an idea about all this? So far it looks to me that the Fidelity Full View feature is very flawed to the extent of being useless.
I am ready to be told I am wrong and how I am wrong.
Charles Joseph

Post by Charles Joseph »

My alternative/solution was to move everything to Fidelity. I did use Full View in the past and always felt a bit uncomfortable sharing my login info. But moving everything to one brokerage isn't always possible. I do find it easier and likely safer (only one chance for a security breach versus two or more) to have everything at one brokerage.

I'm very happy with everything at Fidelity. Fewer moving parts.
"The big money is not in the buying and selling, but in the waiting." - Charles Munger
tman9999

Post by tman9999 »

I built my own “full view” in Google Sheets, even though I’m a long-time Fidelity customer. I download a CSV of my whole portfolio from Fidelity and then copy/paste the columns I want into my G sheet. I built it with a variety of vlookups and pivot tables to get the various slice/dice I want. The thing that makes it all work is the googlefinance functions, which provide near-real time pricing updates on each position.

I do have to manually update bank account balances, but I’ve consolidated most of those down to just two, so that’s a monthly update - not that much anyways. Vanguard is similar - don’t have much there, and it’s easy to update.
Escapevelocity

Post by Escapevelocity »

I use Fullview and have 98% of my assets and credit card spending linked automatically. Whatever risk might exist is offset by the convenience of tracking all my spending and account values automatically.