store: "Room and Board"

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bowtie

store: "Room and Board"

Post by bowtie »

I know this store has a good reputation and called to ask about a few items.
I was quite surprised when I asked about a warranty. They said they don't provide one but that they stand behind their work and will take care of any problems that might arise. Their pieces are made in NC I believe. I've heard excellent reports on them but I hadn't gone to their store in many years.
I was wondering what folks thought about no written warranty but instead a promise to take care of any problems. If they were a new company I might not go for it, but if I like their pieces might consider it b/c they have a good reputation and have been around a while.
If anyone has any thoughts let me know.
fortunefavored

Re: store: "Room and Board"

Post by fortunefavored »

I have a sleeper sofa that the air valve that deforms and leaks every 2 or 3 years.

They keep sending me new valves every time I call them for the past 15 years.

I imagine eventually they will run out.

Honestly I'm not sure what sort of warranty/service you're expecting. Most of their furniture is sourced from various high quality builders, so it will last a very long time.
supalong52

Post by supalong52 »

People have good experiences with them. I also like (and actually prefer) Blu Dot.
ETK517

Post by ETK517 »

I have one piece from them, a walnut bookcase. It faded noticeably from placement in front of a not-at-all-bright window for just a year, maybe two. Unacceptable quality IMO but I didn't care enough to take it up with them.
upwind

Post by upwind »

Duplicate delete
Last edited by upwind on Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Investing is the intersection of economics and psychology.” - Seth Klarman
upwind

Post by upwind »

Their stuff is made in various places. I know NC, NH, WI are among a long list of US states. I think they claim 90% is US. I have never personally purchased but know family and others that have and they have always been happy. They do stand by products at least at delivery. Parents received stools that in some small way didn’t match and they did a reorder without any hassel. Personally though I’d want to see any major pieces in person before ordering. At least a similar product by supplier.
“Investing is the intersection of economics and psychology.” - Seth Klarman
Curb Fan

Post by Curb Fan »

I've bought two large stainless steel bookshelves, a king bed in Walnut, and full bed in stainless steel from them in the past seven years and have been thrilled with the quality. Everything I've ordered has been made in the US, though not in NC. I think they use different craftspeople in different parts of the country depending on the item. The furniture isn't cheap but I'd personally rather spend a good amount of money once on something that will last 25-50 years (or more) as opposed to constantly spending a small amount of money for furniture that will need to be replaced every 5-10 years (did this in my 20s and early to mid 30s and vowed never to do so again). Their delivery service is great, too.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

I’ve purchased several items from them. Excellent quality and great customer service. I had gotten some nightstands and lamps and had them for 3 or 4 months but they just never looked right in my room. I called them and they gave me a full refund no question and I replaced them with models I liked better. I dont even think they charged me a delivery fee to pickup the old ones and deliver the new ones, but I can’t remember. It was 7 years ago. All the pieces I got from them are 7 years old and are just as nice as the day I got them, except the walnut coffee table that I scratched up pretty badly (completely my fault)
cchrissyy

Post by cchrissyy »

i have several things from them and am pleased with the style, quality, and service, including delivery and return.

when i had an issue with discoloration from a spill on an outdoor wood table, they sent me wood cleaner/protector for free.
60-20-20 us-intl-bond

Post by 123 »

We bought a number of bookcases from them a few years ago and, though pricey, they have been excellent. When we were looking for a living room sofa we tried everything in their showroom but all their sofas were very soft/squishy. We asked if the soft cushions was just the result of a lot of showroom use/testing and they said that the soft cushions were factory fresh. We wanted something much firmer and found it, surprising, at Macy's.

My impression from the time we've spend in Room and Board stores is that their stuff is very nice, well made, but pricey. Most of their stuff tends to be in generally enduring styles, some people might call it boring, others find it as understated contemporary.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

I have a 20 plus year old sectional from them. In our living room. Still going strong. Build quality 20 years ago was very good.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

We won't be ordering from them in the future. Had a bad experience with a piece of bedroom furniture. Now, we have a relatively new sectional which we are displeased with. The pieces do not line up flush (maybe 1-2 inches offset), but we have been told by them that it is within their tolerances. Oh yeah, now one of the cushions is splitting. Never again.
goingup

Post by goingup »

They make great furniture. We’ve had a sofa, and 3 chairs for 15 years. Comfortable and durable. Got a sectional last year.

Did have an issue once. Upon delivery a leather recliner had some scratches. They replaced it without any qualms.

If you live near one of their stores I recommend you go. You’ll feel the quality compared to other furniture.
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

I'm a Minnesota guy so probably a bit biased here, but DW and I are big fans. We're also lucky enough to be near their outlet (and their Edina showroom, for that matter), which has a cult-like following in the area.

We own two R&B sectionals (York and Morrison), two leather chairs (Ford and Isaac), dining room table, book shelves, buffet table, and various other smaller items we got at the outlet. All US made -- sofas are both McReary Modern, Isaac is Lee Industries, etc. We've had nothing but good experiences with the quality of the product and the customer service. Our York sectional is ~5 years old and it's basically just getting broken in.
Last edited by SubPar on Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

They will absolutely make things right, if the customer is acting in good faith. They will pick up returns for free. They will accept free cancellations on any custom-ordered furniture.
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

SubPar wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:19 pm I'm a Minnesota guy so probably a bit biased here, but DW and I are big fans. We're also lucky enough to be near their outlet, which has a cult-like following in the area.

We own two R&B sectionals (York and Morrison), two leather chairs (Ford and Isaac), dining room table, book shelves, buffet table, and various other smaller items we got at the outlet. All US made -- sofas are both McReary Modern, Isaac is Lee Industries, etc. We've had nothing but good experiences with the quality of the product and the customer service. Our York sectional is ~5 years old and it's basically just getting broken in.
I'm also from MN and we own two R&B York sofas, two R&B Metro sofas, an end table, coffee table, and upholstered bench. Our York sofas were also bought at the outlet, are 7 years old, and look as good as brand new. The metal table frames are made in Minnesota. The sofas, I believe, were made in North Carolina. The customer service experience that we've had has been second to none, and I don't think the prices are actually high compared to other stores.
Topic Author
bowtie

Post by bowtie »

Thx for all the responses. Believe it or not, the first thing I am going to check out is their mattress selection and online it looks like the prices are lower than 'regular' mattress stores. I'd be interested in seeing their sofas as well. Great to know they're so cooperative in the event of an issue.
Yes I do plan on visiting the physical store, of course. :)
fund

Post by fund »

We bought a sofa from them roughly a decade ago. It looked fine upon delivery and, in fact, was fine for a short while thereafter, but then it developed an issue. Called them up and they asked us to snap some pictures and email those to them. We did as they asked. They called us back maybe a day or two later, agreed with what we were seeing, acknowledged there was a defect, and arranged for a replacement. They were courteous, professional, prompt, and responsive. Not sure anyone could ask for more! The replacement sofa (exact same model as the one with the defect) is still with us. They are a little pricier than some alternatives, but in our experience the quality (we have a couple other pieces from them) and customer service are quite good.
otinkyad

Post by otinkyad »

bowtie wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:37 pm Believe it or not, the first thing I am going to check out is their mattress selection and online it looks like the prices are lower than 'regular' mattress stores. I'd be interested in seeing their sofas as well. Great to know they're so cooperative in the event of an issue.
Yes I do plan on visiting the physical store, of course. :)
We have one of their latex mattresses and I found it uncomfortable from day one, but my son has always liked it and it’s his bed. Personally, I would spend more for a mattress elsewhere.

Most of our furniture is from Room and Board, starting almost twenty years ago, but we haven’t had any warranty issues. They’ve always been very responsive upfront, sending us extra photos and measurements from a showroom, for example. We did recently drive four hours to a showroom to try out sofas before buying one. Everything else we bought without seeing it in person.
Topic Author
bowtie

Post by bowtie »

Good to hear.
I definitely don't want latex in the mattress but they have other kinds.
Topic Author
bowtie

Post by bowtie »

Fund,
Thx for posting your experience.
Topic Author
bowtie

Post by bowtie »

Of all the replies here, only TallBoy29er had a poor experience and wouldn't go back. The other posters here all had good experiences.
I've never heard of "Blu Dot" - I'll have to look it up. Thanks all.
PottedPlant

store: "Room & Board"

Post by PottedPlant »

We own these items from Room & Board:
Bed
Mattress
Night stands
Dining table
6 dining chairs
Sofa
2 side chairs
2 side tables
Coffee table
Sectional
Comfy chair
A complete set of patio furniture
Mashed or Baked Potatoes?
Tattarrattat

Post by Tattarrattat »

We have bought a lot of furniture from them. The customer service is top drawer. If you have a problem they will fix, refund, replace or whatever it takes, no questions asked, no hesitation. Really outstanding.
TSR

Post by TSR »

No experience with their returns, but I will say that we bought a TV console from them that is incredible. We have a friend who does woodworking and furniture building and he keeps trying to examine it and tell us how expensive and high quality the components are. We've had it for maybe a year and are still thrilled with it. (We also bought a coat rack that was a little too expensive for what it is but I'll be darned if it's not really high quality.)
LookinAround

Post by LookinAround »

I only had an issue with ONE of several items I've purchased from R&B.

I ordered four leather dining room chairs. They took a couple months to arrive. I looked at the chairs on delivery and told the delivery guys they looked great. It wasn't till a couple days later, on closer look, I noticed the seam on one chair back wasn't stitched correctly. I found a defect.

R&B asked me to send pictures. Based on pics alone, he said they'll make a new chair for me. A couple months later, they delivered a perfect replacement and took back the old one. I have always had positive experiences with R&B purchases.

While they have no specific warranty, they mean it when they say they want you to be happy with your purchase. They replaced an expensive chair for me. No push back at all. I suppose the only grey area is if an issue occurs well beyond date of delivery. But, even then, I trust they'll work with any reasonable issue that wasn't normal wear and tear.
Last edited by LookinAround on Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

We JUST had a custom upholstered bench delivered yesterday. It arrived with a different fabric on the top than what we ordered. They couldn't have been more great about it. They took some photos of it, processed the problem so the new top of the bench could be made, and allowed me to keep the entire wrong bench until they deliver the new top to swap it out.
ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus »

I read this thread last week and went to Room&Board's website for the first time. I'd never heard of that store prior. I did not sign in to their website or order anything.

Today I received junk mail from Room&Board to "[my name] or current resident" at my address.

Coincidence? Triggered by me buying this house last summer? Or triggered by my web browsing with some sort of tracking?

Time to erase all my web cookies I guess.
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

ccieemeritus wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:30 pm I read this thread last week and went to Room&Board's website for the first time. I'd never heard of that store prior. I did not sign in to their website or order anything.

Today I received junk mail from Room&Board to "[my name] or current resident" at my address.

Coincidence? Triggered by me buying this house last summer? Or triggered by my web browsing with some sort of tracking?

Time to erase all my web cookies I guess.
It happens with every store. My wife and I will so much as be talking about something, and I'll proceed to get ads for it immediately on social media.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I like Room and Board. My first couch was from them in the mid 1980’s when they were a new brand. I have a cherry bookcase from them that I bought last year. Beautiful and strong.
Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 »

Expensive! But good

My wife seems to approve furniture purchases from this store and this store only. To be fair, they have a style we like and it is good quality and when I've tried to search other stores before to see if I can save money, it is like wading through a TJ Maxx hoping to find something you like. I am exaggerating but let's just say other stores have a lot of stuff to meet tastes that I grimace at when I look at it

We bought a leather couch that started peeling in a couple spots after a year. They looked at pictures and then checked with a leather repair place and ultimately just said they would order a new couch and take back the old one because the leather shouldn't be doing that. Which I appreciate but also sort of expect when you drop that kinda dime!