Loan Depot Security Breach

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
onyxlinkia

Loan Depot Security Breach

Post by onyxlinkia »

I just received a letter from Loan Depot there's a security breach and my personal information is out there..... Just a heads up to people who have used Loan Depot for mortgage refinance. I got pre approval from them several years ago before but didn't go through it.
tetractys

Re: Loan Depot Security Breach

Post by tetractys »

I received the letter today also; but never had any loan with LoanDepot and never heard of them before today. I’m wondering if it’s real or not.

The letter is offering 2 years of Experian identity protection; but the provided link doesn’t seem real and there doesn’t seem to be any way to reach the offer through the regular Experian website.
Tribonian

Post by Tribonian »

I got the letter earlier this week. We had actually inquired about a mortgage. I have been getting 3x-4x the number of phishing calls I normally get.

Luckily, we keep Experian, Equifax & TransUnion frozen as a matter of course.
Topic Author
onyxlinkia

Post by onyxlinkia »

This is strange. I would think the link is valid but i haven't enrolled yet.
tetractys wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:45 pm I received the letter today also; but never had any loan with LoanDepot and never heard of them before today. I’m wondering if it’s real or not.

The letter is offering 2 years of Experian identity protection; but the provided link doesn’t seem real and there doesn’t seem to be any way to reach the offer through the regular Experian website.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

Same letter arrived at my house and I've never done a loan with Loan Depot. Not sure if they acquired a lender that I did do a loan with previously or if they have a servicing business that has (or had) one of my loans under a different servicing name.
intendi

Post by intendi »

I also received the letter but have no direct relationship with Loan Depot. I probably have half a dozen of these security breach letters now so I just filed it away.

I froze my credit a few years ago at the big three and have since added the following to the frozen list (thanks to advice from this forum):

Chexsystems
LexisNexis
Innovis
Microbilt
chet96

Post by chet96 »

Received the letter here too. They are my loan servicer. It sounds like it was a pretty wide spread breach if folks with preapprovals were pulled in.

At least they acted quickly - according to the letter it happened in early January. Vanguard slow rolled for months when their non-qualified plans were breached. I can't keep track of how many free credit monitoring services I have now - it's a joke.
gotoparks

Post by gotoparks »

Got the letter also. I don't have any connection with them. I must have gotten a pre approval. I have credit monitoring from another breach. Lots of breaches with my info.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

tetractys wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:45 pm I received the letter today also; but never had any loan with LoanDepot and never heard of them before today. I’m wondering if it’s real or not.

They could have serviced your loan or bought the note.

They could also have bought a company you did apply for.

It's also possible that they offered back-office/white-label services for other loan companies.