Blocking Member Posts

Discussions about the forum and contents
Nver2Late

Re: Blocking Member Posts

Post by Nver2Late »

jumbo shrimp wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:24 am But anyways, I recommend taking a break rather than ending your time here.
Definitely. We do appreciate and benefit having a ski expert on this board.
"Better is the enemy of good." Good is good.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

I am guessing people assign different voices to different posters. I am convinced a certain poster sounds like J. Jonah Jameson in real life. But they likely think I am Mr. Bean.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

TheTimeLord wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:30 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:00 am When I start feeling like that, I put myself on a self-imposed “time out.” A couple of times, years ago, the mods put me on a “time out.” There might be those who feel that I don’t go away for long enough, or often enough, but I feel refreshed and ready to scroll past the noise when I return.

I feel you OP. Just take a break.
I think this is good advice. But I get what the OP is saying. I post a lot less than I did in the past. A most of the time when I type a response I delete it before hitting enter. At least that I have crystalized the thought in my head.
Oh no. Over the years I have enjoyed your posts TheTimeLord and always read them when I see them and find them interesting and thoughtful and readable. Please go ahead and post them.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

If it’s me, I’d consider knocking it off and posting less often if it would put OP more at peace. I’m getting bored with my own Avatar tbh.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

rgs92 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:54 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:00 am When I start feeling like that, I put myself on a self-imposed “time out.” A couple of times, years ago, the mods put me on a “time out.” There might be those who feel that I don’t go away for long enough, or often enough, but I feel refreshed and ready to scroll past the noise when I return.

I think this is good advice. But I get what the OP is saying. I post a lot less than I did in the past. A most of the time when I type a response I delete it before hitting enter. At least that I have crystalized the thought in my head.
Oh no. Over the years I have enjoyed your posts TheTimeLord and always read them when I see them and find them interesting and thoughtful and readable. Please go ahead and post them.
Thank you. Over the past week or two I have been trying to hit enter more than delete so we will see how it goes. Again thanks for the kind words.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

I post a lot less than I did in the past. A most of the time when I type a response I delete it before hitting enter. At least that I have crystalized the thought in my head.
Please don’t leave us.

We’d miss you.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

I think sometimes one just needs a thick skin. It seems that there are folks who are annoying wherever one goes, I am learning that one doesn't have to engage with those you disagree with, sometimes the scroll wheel is a good option. It is also a good reminder to have good manners and to be polite in conversation which isn't always easy to do. It is human nature to get the last word in, sometimes it is better to just let things go. Sometimes it is good to laugh at ourselves a bit.
A fool and his money are good for business.
veggivet

Post by veggivet »

I think the worst of it was during early COVID before all those threads were locked. On the other hand, maybe I just have blinders on. Compared to other forums I participate in, this one is the most polite by far.
torso2500

Post by torso2500 »

I know it's not going to be reconsidered here, but I will attest that a block feature implemented on another forum I use improved my overall experience. Sometimes there are other users whose participation style is not against forum rules but it hits on my personal peeves. Sure it is ultimately a me problem but it's like a way to automatically scroll that content without ever chancing to see it. If anything I think the block feature heads off some participation that would eventually become a moderation job. On the other hand, I vaguely remember from another php88 based forum that blocking doesn't remove quoted text from a blocked account, so it is not as effective on this platform.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

torso2500 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:35 pm I know it's not going to be reconsidered here,
Yeah, I think that ship sailed, for better or worse.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:00 am
AllMostThere wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:43 am
DoubleComma wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:41 pm Guess it’s time I will choose to make my exit.
Please don't do this. I know what you are talking about as there are a few posters that are continually negative, feel a need to act like a moderator, or just post repeatedly for no real reason other than cherry picking little nuggets of posts to disagree. I have trained myself to just scroll past these posters and look forward to the contributions of the countless other members who provide actual meaningful content. One of the benefits of a social media site, such as this site, is the learning process associated with opposing views and the resulting dialogue. Unfortunately, this learning process must also include methods to tune out the negativity. Please stay..... :sharebeer
When I start feeling like that, I put myself on a self-imposed “time out.” A couple of times, years ago, the mods put me on a “time out.” There might be those who feel that I don’t go away for long enough, or often enough, but I feel refreshed and ready to scroll past the noise when I return.

You're not so bad, TT. Tell us that great story about your geothermal and solar systems again.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

snackdog wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:33 pm You're not so bad, TT. Tell us that great story about your geothermal and solar systems again.
Thank you, snackdog. I guess I do go on and on about geothermal and solar. Sorry. In real life, I’m a pretty laid back person, but I get excited talking about some topics and they seem to come up often on BH. My wife appreciates that the topics occur with less frequency sitting around the house. :beer
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

I assume everyone has posts/posters they do not enjoy. When I see such posts I am frequently intrigued by who and why someone would respond but in most cases someone does. This tells me some value is gained by the post and discussion. Heck, sometimes I don't want to read my own posts. :?
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

I just spend time on Reddit. That inoculates me against the true disease of obnoxiousism.

Ya'll here are saints in comparison. :D
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

Tubes wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:23 am I just spend time on Reddit. That inoculates me against the true disease of obnoxiousism.

Ya'll here are saints in comparison. :D
Yep, it can always be a lot worse, and reddit is a good example. The signal to noise ratio is significantly lower there. I occasionally participate in early retirement centric forum. Not as bad as reddit, but their moderators have a much lighter touch than BH does, with the resulting higher levels of obnoxiousism.

Cheers.
trueson1

Post by trueson1 »

Learn to ignore!
coachd50

Post by coachd50 »

This is such an interesting thread to me. Granted, I don't frequent to many other internet message boards, but this board seems by far the most civil and well moderated board of all that I view. Credit to the rules and moderators.

I don't think I have ever really seen many posts from posters that I would want "blocked". Sure, some posters will almost always post the same opinions, and since many threads on this forum are repeat questions, you will see the same poster posting the same opinion that others may or may not disagree with. But if disagreement is the bar for which "blocked" would be instituted... well I don't know if a self imposed echo chamber really benefits anyone long term.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

coachd50 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:47 am This is such an interesting thread to me. Granted, I don't frequent to many other internet message boards, but this board seems by far the most civil and well moderated board of all that I view. Credit to the rules and moderators.

I don't think I have ever really seen many posts from posters that I would want "blocked". Sure, some posters will almost always post the same opinions, and since many threads on this forum are repeat questions, you will see the same poster posting the same opinion that others may or may not disagree with. But if disagreement is the bar for which "blocked" would be instituted... well I don't know if a self imposed echo chamber really benefits anyone long term.
I don't know the scenarios the OP is referring to, but I personally have been frustrated by people chronically hijacking threads no matter how carefully you word the OP. Such as "People who do X how do you handle Y" being answered by "I don't do X and let me tell you why it is wrong" and from there it spirals and the threads becomes unproductive for the OP.
fortunefavored

Post by fortunefavored »

TheTimeLord wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:54 am
coachd50 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:47 am This is such an interesting thread to me. Granted, I don't frequent to many other internet message boards, but this board seems by far the most civil and well moderated board of all that I view. Credit to the rules and moderators.

I don't know the scenarios the OP is referring to, but I personally have been frustrated by people chronically hijacking threads no matter how carefully you word the OP. Such as "People who do X how do you handle Y" being answered by "I don't do X and let me tell you why it is wrong" and from there it spirals and the threads becomes unproductive for the OP.
Or the same posters saying "you should never retire" on every 'can I retire yet?' post
Or the same posters saying "don't hold international, international is dumb" on every AA post

et cetera. And you cannot call them out as it is a "personal attack" and will get your post deleted/moderated, so they continue to thread <moderated> forever.

This thread has run its course and will be locked. :)
coachd50

Post by coachd50 »

Yes, that can be frustrating. Is it always the same individuals though? If not, would blocking people have any impact?
coachd50

Post by coachd50 »

fortunefavored wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:04 am

Or the same posters saying "you should never retire" on every 'can I retire yet?' post
Or the same posters saying "don't hold international, international is dumb" on every AA post

et cetera. And you cannot call them out as it is a "personal attack" and will get your post deleted/moderated, so they continue to thread <moderated> forever.
This was the type of scenario I mentioned. But again, isn't that their opinion? Wouldn't their opinion be the same if asked the same question over and over again?
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

coachd50 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:14 am

Yes, that can be frustrating. Is it always the same individuals though? If not, would blocking people have any impact?
First let me say initially I assumed it was meant to be well intentioned advice but it does seem some topics trigger certain folks and they feel a need to reply. It can be consistent enough that at times you feel more like you are being trolled than disagreed with. As mentioned in a post above I have just opted to post less and less often, with little spurts of participation. Don't see a lot of point in starting threads that I know will veer wildly off topic with 5 replies.
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

There seems to be some misconceptions here.

I use a forum dedicated to one of my car brands, to learn about maintenance procedures, troubleshooting, etc. That forum allows one to prevent seeing a selected user's posts. It does NOT block them, and no-one knows who is so designated by whom. It works out just fine.

Sure, on my other forum, these other user's posts show up in quoted sections. But that's minimal. Actually I've only so-designated one poster, who exacerbated disagreements and responded to virtually every post, whether they had anything of substance to add, or not. Just the one.

I respectfully suggest that our leaders consider implementing this feature for a trial period of a few months, and then extend it if no issues transpire. Don't reject the idea out of hand, at least. Learn about its true effects on similar forums. Is it helpful or harmful, or neutral?

This discussion brings to mind a segment of the old Leave It to Beaver TV show. The self-centered jerk, Eddie Haskell, was a friend of Beaver's brother. One time, Eddie was complaining in the kitchen to Mrs. Cleaver. It seemed someone else's selfishness was affecting Eddie Haskell, himself. Mrs. Cleaver said something about maybe giving that person a break. Eddie's response was, "That's all right, Mrs. Cleaver. I know that sometimes I have to make allowances for the way people are." Big eye roll.

So, we should probably just make allowances for the way some posters are. Our moderators thankfully keep out detritus and prevent things from going off the rails or down rabbit holes. We all agree with certain topics not being permitted. Overall, things are just peachy, really.
coachd50

Post by coachd50 »

valleyrock wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:51 am There seems to be some misconceptions here.

I use a forum dedicated to one of my car brands, to learn about maintenance procedures, troubleshooting, etc. That forum allows one to prevent seeing a selected user's posts. It does NOT block them, and no-one knows who is so designated by whom. It works out just fine.

I was under the impression that this feature was what everyone was referring to as "blocking" in this thread. So I don't know if there are any misconceptions.
Tamalak

Post by Tamalak »

coachd50 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:14 am

In my opinion blocking people who derail subjects would just make the situation worse. It wouldn't stop other posters from reading and responding to the derailment (and thereby further derailing), but it would impede you from seeing the problem early.
Dude2

Post by Dude2 »

Since we are venting, I am amazed when I see the very first reply in a thread giving a clear and concise answer to the original post. Ok, maybe not the first reply but at least by say the fifth reply. Clearly this is too much reading to do for the 200+ posts afterwards that say exactly the same thing.
Then ’tis like the breath of an unfee’d lawyer.
delamer

Post by delamer »

Dude2 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:16 pm Since we are venting, I am amazed when I see the very first reply in a thread giving a clear and concise answer to the original post. Ok, maybe not the first reply but at least by say the fifth reply. Clearly this is too much reading to do for the 200+ posts afterwards that say exactly the same thing.
Definitely. I guess people have different habits as to how many (if any) earlier replies they read before posting. If I can’t/haven’t looked through all the earlier posts, I note that in my response.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

TheTimeLord wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:30 am most of the time when I type a response I delete it before hitting enter.
This action; making a very deliberate, conscious decision about whether both the correspondent and I will be better off after posting this response has been the most liberating and stress reducing lesson I have learned on BH.

As an aside, I also have found that my attempts at humor have a very high chance of failure to connect as well.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

retiringwhen wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:32 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:30 am most of the time when I type a response I delete it before hitting enter.
This action; making a very deliberate, conscious decision about whether both the correspondent and I will be better off after posting this response has been the most liberating and stress reducing lesson I have learned on BH.

As an aside, I also have found that my attempts at humor have a very high chance of failure to connect as well.
A major element of humor is naughtiness. When you add in generation gaps and caucusing around the bouger de Bogle here, someone is bound to read the room wrong.
Dude2

Post by Dude2 »

whodidntante wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:16 pm

A major element of humor is naughtiness. When you add in generation gaps and caucusing around the bouger de Bogle here, someone is bound to read the room wrong.
This is so apt. Humor is an art. Regardless of the room, it should be appreciated, encouraged, and judged on its merits. We can make a stinky face. Our monocles might fall off, but it should not be wiped away solely due to the vague possibility that some set may be offended. There is always a set outside of this set.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Dude2 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:15 am We can make a stinky face.
Hey, are you making fun of my face? :D

Stinky
Dude2 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:15 am Humor is an art.
That’s MY attempt at humor. :D
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Dude2 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:15 am
whodidntante wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:16 pm

This is so apt. Humor is an art. Regardless of the room, it should be appreciated, encouraged, and judged on its merits. We can make a stinky face. Our monocles might fall off, but it should not be wiped away solely due to the vague possibility that some set may be offended. There is always a set outside of this set.
It's funny that you mention monocles. I won the genetic lottery and had perfect vision for most of my life, but aging has reduced the ability of my eyes to focus in certain scenarios. Apparently the lens becomes less flexible as we age. I've considered getting a monocle, mainly to have fun with my new found disability.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Humor does not work in this forum. In-person, you can express intent with tone of voice and body language. You can't do that by writing in an anonymous setting.

This forum reaches world-wide. The differences in culture, not to mention those with English as a second language, make communication via writing very, very difficult.

So, please avoid humor. It's why the moderators suggest to make your posts factual and stated in a civil manner. We spend time moderating comments because of those misunderstandings.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

As another who often posts from a different angle, there are likely some reactions to posts reflecting interactions between finances and other aspects of life. Finances have general guidelines but uncertain outcomes, and there are agreements and disagreements about the level of certainty and uncertainty just as there are about blocking or not blocking posts. Individual choices are unlimited, and exposure to various opinions are enlightening. This is a wonderful site, and that is something most all would agree is one opinion that approaches fact.

Tim
beachtech

Post by beachtech »

OP: it may be possible to achieve your desired effect with “Userscripts” (see definition on Wikipedia). These are small scripts that run inside your browser, after the page is sent back from the server, but before it is displayed to you.

There is a relevant discussion in the phpBB forums:
I'm a frequent visitor of a phpBB forum. There are some members of the community that I just can't stand.
In the discussion, someone shares this Userscript phpbb_foes.user.js. I haven’t tried it, and it might need to be modified slightly to work in this case, but it is likely that something roughly along these lines might do exactly what you want.

You would at least need to modify the

Code: Select all

@includes
line and the

let usernames = [ … ]
array.
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

Dude2 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:16 pm Since we are venting, I am amazed when I see the very first reply in a thread giving a clear and concise answer to the original post. Ok, maybe not the first reply but at least by say the fifth reply. Clearly this is too much reading to do for the 200+ posts afterwards that say exactly the same thing.
This may all be moot. In the near future, we'll each have a filter on our browser, which we can train as we wish. It might be OK.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

Dude2 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:16 pm Since we are venting, I am amazed when I see the very first reply in a thread giving a clear and concise answer to the original post. Ok, maybe not the first reply but at least by say the fifth reply.
You mean like with this thread? Fifth post nailed it.

Maybe people just like to participate. :)
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
Dude2

Post by Dude2 »

Just use the thumbwheel on the mouse.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

Beensabu wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:34 pm
Dude2 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:16 pm Since we are venting, I am amazed when I see the very first reply in a thread giving a clear and concise answer to the original post. Ok, maybe not the first reply but at least by say the fifth reply.
You mean like with this thread? Fifth post nailed it.

Maybe people just like to participate. :)
What about upvoting. Beensabu nailed it. :sharebeer
Shackleton

Post by Shackleton »

Angel of Empire wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:26 am Not too long ago, we lived in a world where we it wasn't mandatory that we all think alike.

Things have changed for the worse.
Well said
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton
houseofnine

Post by houseofnine »

Today I re-read an “annoying” post in the voice of James Mason. Satisfying!
veggivet

Post by veggivet »

houseofnine wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:59 pm Today I re-read an “annoying” post in the voice of James Mason. Satisfying!
This sounds like a great use of AI! Turn those annoying posts into comedy...
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty »

Beensabu wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 pm
DoubleComma wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:19 pm I find myself getting more and more agitated with certain posters and opposed to leaving the forum I would rather have the option to block, and not see content, from those few individuals.
Well now everyone thinks it might be them. Except the ones who don't. Because anti-anxiety medication works.
It can't be me. I'm delightful!
cacophony

Post by cacophony »

beachtech wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:03 am OP: it may be possible to achieve your desired effect with “Userscripts” (see definition on Wikipedia). These are small scripts that run inside your browser, after the page is sent back from the server, but before it is displayed to you.

There is a relevant discussion in the phpBB forums:
I'm a frequent visitor of a phpBB forum. There are some members of the community that I just can't stand.
In the discussion, someone shares this Userscript phpbb_foes.user.js. I haven’t tried it, and it might need to be modified slightly to work in this case, but it is likely that something roughly along these lines might do exactly what you want.

You would at least need to modify the

@includes
line and the

let usernames = [ … ]
array.
That script seems to work without issue. Here's what it does:

I have no intention of using it, but if anyone really wants this feature it's an easy way to accomplish it.
I just changed the include line to be:
Userscripts are great. I wrote one (with the help of a chatbot) that I use regularly to delete threads from the front page.
beachtech

Post by beachtech »

cacophony wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:47 pm That script seems to work without issue. Here's what it does:

Perfect! Thanks for testing it out. I’ll try not to take it personally. :P
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

beachtech wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:26 pm
cacophony wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:47 pm That script seems to work without issue. Here's what it does:

Perfect! Thanks for testing it out. I’ll try not to take it personally. :P
I'll let them know. Unless... 🤔
beachtech

Post by beachtech »

whodidntante wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:42 pm I'll let them know. Unless... 🤔
The obvious next question is, “How do I change my Bogleheads username?” :wink:

Curious if the OP decides to come back.
JakeyLee
Location: From sea to shining sea. But mostly the south west.

Post by JakeyLee »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:56 pm If it’s me, I’d consider knocking it off and posting less often if it would put OP more at peace. I’m getting bored with my own Avatar tbh.
Stop it! The world is a better place with AnnetteLouisan posts… not to mention your world record edits 😉. Now excuse me while I make my edit :beer
“On balance, the financial system subtracts value from society” | -John Bogle