Vanguard “We’re experiencing technical difficulties”

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: Vanguard “We’re experiencing technical difficulties”

Post by nisiprius »

I still haven't finished Charles D. Ellis' Inside Vanguard: Leadership Secrets from the Company that Continues to Rewrite the Rules of the Investing Business, and on the whole don't like it much, although it certainly has a lot of information about Vanguard that I never knew before... anyway... in light of all the griping about Vanguard being behind the curve on IT, it is certainly surprising to read:
Buckley was made a principal in 1998 and chief information officer in 2001 with overall responsibility as managing director for the Information Technology Division. This division, central
to Vanguard's future, was where Vanguard had been striving to catch up with its competitors....
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
bjb211257

Post by bjb211257 »

I've been having the same issue for over two weeks - "We're Experiencing Technical Difficulties". A few times, it actually let me login, but once in I had a variety of weird and unreproducible issues, like a page showing up as only the header and footer, or showing up with the body content but no header or footer, or a message saying it couldn't display my content. I can usually get content after a few refreshes. The upper-right message button always takes me to a blank page, or a page with only header/footer. I talked with Customer Service today for the third time, and the guy couldn't suggest anything I haven't already tried (clearing cache and cookies, restart Windows).
I did get in today using ownyourfuture.vanguard.com/home/login as suggested in an earlier post, but I don't know if that was just a fluke.

Feb 26 edit: I checked my Windows Update history (for my Dell desktop running Windows 11), and I noticed there was an update on Jan 11, just before the problem started for me. My next Windows Update was about a week ago, and since then my problems with the Vanguard website seem to have gone away and everything works great. Coincidence?
s.todd

Post by s.todd »

Hi. For the last hour (4/2/2024, 2:30pm ET), cannot login to the Vanguard site,
getting the "We're experiencing technical difficulties"

I called and the first thing the agent said was "We are have technical difficulties. I can only provide general information and no information about account specifics... Try again in an hour or two."

I wonder if Vgd will send around an apology or any kind of follow-up.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

I just logged in using my MacBookAir no problem.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Seems to be working. As often occurs, a glitch like this just goes away.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

This is a good site to look to see if others are having the same issues.

https://downdetector.com/status/vanguard/

There was a spike around 2:40PM EST today.
Polar_Ice

Post by Polar_Ice »

I get this regularly on one browser so I switch to another and am always able to login in seconds later on another browser.

I would try MS Edge browser or another one if you see this.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Polar_Ice wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:30 am I get this regularly on one browser so I switch to another and am always able to login in seconds later on another browser.

So VG customizes the screen based on the browser?
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Polar_Ice

Post by Polar_Ice »

jebmke wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:03 am
Polar_Ice wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:30 am I get this regularly on one browser so I switch to another and am always able to login in seconds later on another browser.

No, I think some browsers are not all compatible with Vanguard's site/security. You can try updating the browser but if you are using an old version mac OS your Safari browser likely is not being updated with new security features as they stop supporting the older mac OS versions. I seem to have the issue more on Firefox even though it is updated regularly.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Polar_Ice wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:38 am
jebmke wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:03 am

No, I think some browsers are not all compatible with Vanguard's site/security. You can try updating the browser but if you are using an old version mac OS your Safari browser likely is not being updated with new security features as they stop supporting the older mac OS versions. I seem to have the issue more on Firefox even though it is updated regularly.
This post refers to a general problem I think. I experienced it on Brave -- I've never had browser-driven access issues with Brave. It lasted but a few minutes.