How to properly sell assets?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
playboy_number9

How to properly sell assets?

Post by playboy_number9 »

How do i properly update the total cost and cost per share after selling assets in my portfolio?
Doctor Rhythm

Re: How to properly sell assets?

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

I don’t do any updating myself. I let the brokerage track the number of shares, price per share, and basis for each tax lot I’ve purchased or sold.

In general, you should be selling shares using Specific Lot ID (SLID) as the cost basis method for the above to happen. If you sell using average cost basis, then all shares prior to the sale will be lumped together into a single lot with the same cost per share.
Last edited by Doctor Rhythm on Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Author
playboy_number9

Re: How to properly sell assets?

Post by playboy_number9 »

Doctor Rhythm wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:06 pm I don’t do any updating myself. I let the brokerage track the number of shares, price per share, and basis for each tax lot.

In general, you should be selling based on Specific Lot ID (SLID) as the cost basis for the above to happen.
I’m referring to assets that I’m tracking on my own outside of a brokerage account.