college decision: UIUC or UF for ECE?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
AerialWombat

Re: college decision: $63k UIUC ECE or full-ride UF ECE?

Post by AerialWombat »

Threads like this are what remind me that this forum really is a weird, alternate universe. :oops:

In the normal world, there is no conundrum here: The kid goes to UF, period.

As others have said, source of the terminal degree is far more important. Spend the dough on an MSEE at GT, and take the free ride for undergraduate.

But what do I know; I’m the guy that prefers hiring software developers out of coding boot camps instead of university programs.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
newbh933

Post by newbh933 »

I'll add a minor recommendation to the OP. When you travel to check out both UIUC and UF, try to get an understanding of any differences between the research emphasis of the EE departments of the two schools and how that may or may not align with your daughter's interests. When I did my undergraduate EE degree (many moons ago), I found out after starting that the EE department's major emphasis was fusion research. I was interested in circuit design and had zero interest in fusion research. I made it work in the end, but it did come as a bit of a surprise.
Nobody knows nothing... and I know even less!
Topic Author
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

newbh933 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:49 am I'll add a minor recommendation to the OP. When you travel to check out both UIUC and UF, try to get an understanding of any differences between the research emphasis of the EE departments of the two schools and how that may or may not align with your daughter's interests. When I did my undergraduate EE degree (many moons ago), I found out after starting that the EE department's major emphasis was fusion research. I was interested in circuit design and had zero interest in fusion research. I made it work in the end, but it did come as a bit of a surprise.
Thanks. Will do.
thedaybeforetoday

Post by thedaybeforetoday »

AerialWombat wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:36 am
But what do I know; I’m the guy that prefers hiring software developers out of coding boot camps instead of university programs.
Yeah, I'm amazed at how high the pay is for some.
DD ex b.f. was involved in several "hack houses". Most of those guys are getting mid to high 6 figure offers to join hedge fund firms at age 22.
crazy.
"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them." R. Dangerfield
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed an off-topic post and reply regarding racial stereotypes.

Please stay on-topic.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

AerialWombat wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:36 am Threads like this are what remind me that this forum really is a weird, alternate universe. :oops:

In the normal world, there is no conundrum here: The kid goes to UF, period.
Agreed.

I think OP's daughter can find a way to thrive at UF.
dowse

Post by dowse »

I'll add a perspective from an "older" UIUC BSEE. I returned several times since graduation as a recruiter, but the last time I was there may have 20 years ago or so. I also found the campus to be far from the dismal place some have described. It has a very nice quad surrounded by architecturally impressive buildings and anchoring by a very nice student union building. A couple of blocks away is the engineering campus. Largely rebuilt since I went there. It has a very impressive engineering library.

As others have pointed out, it is indeed a cultural oasis in central Illinois. That said, the diversity of the campus population affords many opportunities for culturally stimulating activities. There are many concerts, movies, plays, etc. to partake in. Any kind of special interest organization you can think of is available. The State Farm Center, formally known as the Assembly Hall, besides hosting Big-10 basketball games and other sports, attracts some big name artists. In my time, I saw groups such as The Byrds, Grateful Dead, Elton John, Jefferson Starship, Richie Havens to name a few. Most of the off-campus bars and restaurants are located on the Champaign.

Living in the university dorms used to be an "adventure" and probably still is. Some people, myself included, paid a little more to live in privately owned dorms where it is a little less weird and the food is definitely better. I was steered to the one closest to the engineering campus (then men only), but I hated it, as it was just too nerdy. For the next 2 years, I moved to another one that was co-ed, not much farther away and I was much happier.

As others have discussed, an important aspect is job placement. It is true that many top companies recruit there, as they see it as a source of top engineering talent. That may not be the case at UF. The engineering programs at UIUC are top-notch, as reflected in the rankings. That may also be true of UF, and most likely both places are capable of producing equally capable engineers, but the perception of hiring companies is another matter. Your daughter might find a great job as a UF grad, but might have to work harder to get interviews.

As others have pointed out, there would be a culture shock factor. She would be far from home at UIUC and in somewhat of a harsh climate. Many of her classmates would not be in that position, as many come from the Chicago area, about a 3 hour drive away and already accustomed to the climate.

Good luck!
rule of law guy

Post by rule of law guy »

my son in law is a UF graduate (finance) and loved the school. his parents also paid zero. seems like it worked for them.
Never wrong, unless my wife tells me that I am.
Topic Author
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

tashnewbie wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:54 am I think OP's daughter can find a way to thrive at UF.
dowse wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:19 pm As others have discussed, an important aspect is job placement. It is true that many top companies recruit there, as they see it as a source of top engineering talent. That may not be the case at UF. The engineering programs at UIUC are top-notch, as reflected in the rankings. That may also be true of UF, and most likely both places are capable of producing equally capable engineers, but the perception of hiring companies is another matter. Your daughter might find a great job as a UF grad, but might have to work harder to get interviews.
Thanks both. Yup, at UF, she will have to work harder to overcome less opportunity. Once we are convinced that she is capable of that, then this is a no-brainer.
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

acegolfer wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:13 am
Valuethinker wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:17 am This is me guessing, but if an undergrad from a decent university with good grades shows up as an applicant, do I really care where she is from? I mean if someone wants to do software or hardware and the CV says CMU, then yes. But if my CV says U of F, am I really disadvantaged against UUIC when applying in Silicon Valley?
I doubt any bogleheads here would say UF has a disadvantage. But I heard from other sources that some ignorant hiring managers don't look at UF (or any non-T30 engineering) grads. Unfortunately, that's the reality.
From: https://itif.org/publications/2023/04/2 ... ed-states/
CONCLUSION

Students are less interested in pursuing EE degrees compared with other fields of study. The share of EE degrees awarded as a share of all degrees has declined in recent decades. This has economic implications because the economy relies on electrical engineers to power and manufacture some of its most important technologies, such as the communications systems that enable cell phones to function. Moreover, the declining share is even more concerning when the data points to U.S. citizens and permanent residents who are less interested in pursuing EE degrees. Whereas temporary residents are more likely to take their knowledge abroad, it is the U.S. citizens and permanent residents that will likely stay and power the U.S. economy.

Policymakers need a strategy that will keep retention rates high, especially for public universities that award a majority of EE bachelor’s degrees to U.S. citizens and permanent residents. This would help prevent the United States from becoming overly reliant on foreign nationals to power its technologies. Policymakers need to act now. The CHIPS and Science Act will create tens of thousands of jobs in the coming years that need graduates with EE degrees to fill.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Northern Flicker wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:26 pm
acegolfer wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:13 am
Valuethinker wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:17 am This is me guessing, but if an undergrad from a decent university with good grades shows up as an applicant, do I really care where she is from? I mean if someone wants to do software or hardware and the CV says CMU, then yes. But if my CV says U of F, am I really disadvantaged against UUIC when applying in Silicon Valley?
I doubt any bogleheads here would say UF has a disadvantage. But I heard from other sources that some ignorant hiring managers don't look at UF (or any non-T30 engineering) grads. Unfortunately, that's the reality.
From: https://itif.org/publications/2023/04/2 ... ed-states/
CONCLUSION

Students are less interested in pursuing EE degrees compared with other fields of study. The share of EE degrees awarded as a share of all degrees has declined in recent decades. This has economic implications because the economy relies on electrical engineers to power and manufacture some of its most important technologies, such as the communications systems that enable cell phones to function. Moreover, the declining share is even more concerning when the data points to U.S. citizens and permanent residents who are less interested in pursuing EE degrees. Whereas temporary residents are more likely to take their knowledge abroad, it is the U.S. citizens and permanent residents that will likely stay and power the U.S. economy.

Policymakers need a strategy that will keep retention rates high, especially for public universities that award a majority of EE bachelor’s degrees to U.S. citizens and permanent residents. This would help prevent the United States from becoming overly reliant on foreign nationals to power its technologies. Policymakers need to act now. The CHIPS and Science Act will create tens of thousands of jobs in the coming years that need graduates with EE degrees to fill.
There is no problem here. If there is a problem,

A) Starting salary for freshly graduated EE will increase tremendously. Aka, at least beat inflation. Starting salary for EE is about 26K to 30K in 1990. Currently starting salary for EE is about 60K.

B) There will be no age discrimination for EE. Employer will do whatever they can to retain older EE.

Given both (A) and (B) are not true, there are no shortage of EEs.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
bubbly

Post by bubbly »

Since EE and CE a lot of times are in the same department, EE majors are exposed to coding in the early curriculum, usually an early ECE level course with introduction to computer architecture. Coding roles have become a lot more lucrative than traditional EE roles. I’m sure this is reflected in why there is a decline in interest. Having graduated with a degree in EE, I quickly pivoted to Autonomous Driving. The salary and job responsibilities of traditional EE roles were not attractive. This may have changed with the boom in EV tech.

At a school like UIUC, the first 1.5-2 years of classes are the same between EE and CE. Lots of opportunity to switch between the 2. Also CE feels more versatile, could easily become a data scientist, cloud development. The possibilities are endless.
MrNarwhal

Post by MrNarwhal »

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d22 ... 325.47.asp

Here are the data for EE degrees granted, if anyone wants them. EE degrees awarded as a share of all degrees seems useless to me except as data to fit an agenda. But I suppose you could calculate EE bachelors degrees awarded as a share of live births from 22 years prior to roughly (not accounting for non-traditional students) control for cohort size.
AyGeeEm

Post by AyGeeEm »

I came across this thread and decided to create an account to give my 2 cents on the discussion as a current UF undegrad engineering student. I'm aware that I am biased, but hopefully my perspective will still give you something else to consider when deciding between the two schools.

As a Florida native, graduating from HS in Florida, and having the opportunity to attend UF with free tuition + merit scholarship refunds each semester, I was still considering attending out-of-state colleges primarily due to their higher reputation in engineering. However, schools like GaTech and Purdue would end up costing me around 30k per year, forcing me to take out huge loans to pay off these expenses. This wasn't as much of a concern for me as the school's reputation, knowing I could be debt-free in a few years if I played my cards right and landed a high-paying job years after graduation (which isn't uncommon in CS). Despite this, I decided to stay closer to home and take the lower tuition with grad school in mind by going to UF.

Throughout my first year as an undergrad, I kept wondering if I had made the right decision, sacrificing the amazing opportunities that OOS schools would have given me. I had many friends who decided to go to schools such as Carnegie Mellon, Brown, Princeton, Vanderbilt, Berkeley, GaTech, UMich...list goes on, and I felt I was missing out. I believe this was one of my main motivators for doing well during that year.

Regardless of the major she chooses during her first year, being in ECE will provide her with opportunities for research, professional development, and extracurriculars similar to any other engineering major at UF. Especially now, with the new data science building funded by NVIDIA and named after one of its founders (an alumnus).

That first semester, I ended up joining one of the many research groups that exist in the engineering department, actively participated in events hosted by SASE (Society of Asian Scientists and Engineers) and SHPE (Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers), and ended up going to their national job conventions located out-of-state, securing my first summer internship from there.

Now in my second year, I have co-written two publications and an upcoming internship at Microsoft. Thanks to the opportunities that are actively promoted in the College of Engineering. I know dozens of other non-CS friends who have landed jobs at Northrop, Boeing, Tesla, Apple, NVIDIA, and Microsoft as well. Also note that most of my HS graduating class that also went to UF are mostly premed and business majors, and I had little problem finding social groups with similar interests in mind. UF freshman class is similar in size to that of UIUC's.

I also appreciate the ability to drive only 5 hours to reach my hometown whenever I want without spending on a plane ticket. The additional merit aid the school provides each semester pays for a nice off-campus apartment nearby + daily expenses.

One can easily find great opportunities here at UF, as one likely can at UIUC, even with little preparation. And from what I am hearing, your daughter seems more prepared than I was when I started at UF. I'm sure her cohort will motivate her to push herself as much as possible.

She will be fine wherever she decides to go. But I feel she will be far happier in the long run, seeing the 200k being used for her grad school or a down payment on a house. But ultimately it is her decision and the best move would be to have her visit each school and decide which one she likes the most.
Northern Flicker

acegolfer wrote: But I heard from other sources that some ignorant hiring managers don't look at UF (or any non-T30 engineering) grads. Unfortunately, that's the reality.
And each of those hiring managers will have their own list of the top schools.

Gainesville is only about 330 miles from Atlanta. If Atlanta is the targeted place of employment, that is an advantage UIUC lacks. Atlanta area employers that hire EEs will likely have many Gators in their ranks and be familiar with the program. A UIUC or GATech grad may have some (though not a huge) advantage getting a tech position in silicon valley while living across the country, but that is more than mitigated by the cost savings at UF, which would finance relocating to the targeted area, and applying as a local candidate with minimal cost to interview in person.

It is not like UF is some backwater. As one example, the co-founder of NVIDIA has donated a supercomputer to UF for research in areas like climate, AI, etc.
Last edited by Northern Flicker on Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
hahabye

Post by hahabye »

I am an FSU grad and both of my kids went to FSU so needless to say we do not like UF lol. :P

That being said you would be crazy not to send your daughter to UF on a full ride versus blowing $200k out of state. UF is a top 10 public university and your daughter can use the money saved by going to school in state for free as a great down payment on her first home. Good luck and Go Noles! :sharebeer
Topic Author
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

AyGeeEm wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:28 pm I came across this thread and decided to create an account to give my 2 cents on the discussion as a current UF undegrad engineering student. I'm aware that I am biased, but hopefully my perspective will still give you something else to consider when deciding between the two schools.

As a Florida native, graduating from HS in Florida, and having the opportunity to attend UF with free tuition + merit scholarship refunds each semester, I was still considering attending out-of-state colleges primarily due to their higher reputation in engineering. However, schools like GaTech and Purdue would end up costing me around 30k per year, forcing me to take out huge loans to pay off these expenses. This wasn't as much of a concern for me as the school's reputation, knowing I could be debt-free in a few years if I played my cards right and landed a high-paying job years after graduation (which isn't uncommon in CS). Despite this, I decided to stay closer to home and take the lower tuition with grad school in mind by going to UF.

Throughout my first year as an undergrad, I kept wondering if I had made the right decision, sacrificing the amazing opportunities that OOS schools would have given me. I had many friends who decided to go to schools such as Carnegie Mellon, Brown, Princeton, Vanderbilt, Berkeley, GaTech, UMich...list goes on, and I felt I was missing out. I believe this was one of my main motivators for doing well during that year.

Regardless of the major she chooses during her first year, being in ECE will provide her with opportunities for research, professional development, and extracurriculars similar to any other engineering major at UF. Especially now, with the new data science building funded by NVIDIA and named after one of its founders (an alumnus).

That first semester, I ended up joining one of the many research groups that exist in the engineering department, actively participated in events hosted by SASE (Society of Asian Scientists and Engineers) and SHPE (Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers), and ended up going to their national job conventions located out-of-state, securing my first summer internship from there.

Now in my second year, I have co-written two publications and an upcoming internship at Microsoft. Thanks to the opportunities that are actively promoted in the College of Engineering. I know dozens of other non-CS friends who have landed jobs at Northrop, Boeing, Tesla, Apple, NVIDIA, and Microsoft as well. Also note that most of my HS graduating class that also went to UF are mostly premed and business majors, and I had little problem finding social groups with similar interests in mind. UF freshman class is similar in size to that of UIUC's.

I also appreciate the ability to drive only 5 hours to reach my hometown whenever I want without spending on a plane ticket. The additional merit aid the school provides each semester pays for a nice off-campus apartment nearby + daily expenses.

One can easily find great opportunities here at UF, as one likely can at UIUC, even with little preparation. And from what I am hearing, your daughter seems more prepared than I was when I started at UF. I'm sure her cohort will motivate her to push herself as much as possible.

She will be fine wherever she decides to go. But I feel she will be far happier in the long run, seeing the 200k being used for her grad school or a down payment on a house. But ultimately it is her decision and the best move would be to have her visit each school and decide which one she likes the most.
Thanks for sharing your perspective and 1st hand experience.
Northern Flicker

acegolfer wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:42 pm
tashnewbie wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:54 am I think OP's daughter can find a way to thrive at UF.
dowse wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:19 pm As others have discussed, an important aspect is job placement. It is true that many top companies recruit there, as they see it as a source of top engineering talent. That may not be the case at UF. The engineering programs at UIUC are top-notch, as reflected in the rankings. That may also be true of UF, and most likely both places are capable of producing equally capable engineers, but the perception of hiring companies is another matter. Your daughter might find a great job as a UF grad, but might have to work harder to get interviews.
Thanks both. Yup, at UF, she will have to work harder to overcome less opportunity. Once we are convinced that she is capable of that, then this is a no-brainer.
Nobody is going to hand her a job on a silver platter because she chose to go to UIUC or GATech.
Topic Author
acegolfer

Re: college decision: UIUC or UF for ECE?

Post by acegolfer »

http://edr.state.fl.us/content/conferen ... esults.pdf (page 11)

In Fall 2023, out of ~1,000 FL National Merit Finalists, only half (500) decided to attend a public FL university and recieve Benacquisto (full ride) scholarship.
kumjan

Post by kumjan »

Northern Flicker wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:26 pm
Nobody is going to hand her a job on a silver platter because she chose to go to UIUC or GATech.
Are you suggesting the quality and quantity of employers that recruit from UF is the same as UIUC/GA Tech? Clearly it helps in the job market to graduate from top school. Whether there is "enough" delta between the two choices is debatable, hence OP's question.
MMiroir

Post by MMiroir »

kumjan wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:17 am
Northern Flicker wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:26 pm
Are you suggesting the quality and quantity of employers that recruit from UF is the same as UIUC/GA Tech? Clearly it helps in the job market to graduate from top school. Whether there is "enough" delta between the two choices is debatable, hence OP's question.
If you look at the rankings of these three schools, there is a significant delta. However, if you look at salary outcomes for this major from these three schools, the results are within 10% of each other with Florida right in the middle. To me, this means the rankings are pretty worthless, but as the OP mentioned earlier, this choice is largely about perceived fit.
thedaybeforetoday

acegolfer wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:09 am http://edr.state.fl.us/content/conferen ... esults.pdf (page 11)

In Fall 2023, out of ~1,000 FL National Merit Finalists, only half (500) decided to attend a public FL university and recieve Benacquisto (full ride) scholarship.
The point being?
"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them." R. Dangerfield
Topic Author
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

thedaybeforetoday wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:24 pm
acegolfer wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:09 am http://edr.state.fl.us/content/conferen ... esults.pdf (page 11)

The point being?
Many ppl who replied to this thread suggested that this is an easy decision (in favor of full-ride) and there's nothing to debate about. But last yr's FL Nat'l Merit Finalists who actually had to make the college decisions were split. It's certainly not an easy decision.
yoga

Post by yoga »

acegolfer wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:45 am

The point being?
Many ppl who replied to this thread suggested that this is an easy decision (in favor of full-ride) and there's nothing to debate about. But last yr's FL Nat'l Merit Finalists who actually had to make the college decisions were split. It's certainly not an easy decision.
I'm guessing nearly all of them went to an Ivy.
Watty

Post by Watty »

The point being?
One unknown in that statistic is how many of the students who did not stay in state also had scholarships at the university they did go to.
Topic Author
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

yoga wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:31 am I'm guessing nearly all of them went to an Ivy.
Watty wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:55 am One unknown in that statistic is how many of the students who did not stay in state also had scholarships at the university they did go to.
Both are correct to certain extent. But we also don't know how many chose in-state full-ride because they didn't get an acceptance from top programs.

The whole point of this thread is ppl have different opinions and we want to hear from both sides.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

acegolfer wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:02 am The whole point of this thread is ppl have different opinions and we want to hear from both sides.
I agree, but I think that almost everyone will agree that “fit” matters most; a happy student will do better than an unhappy one.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
thedaybeforetoday

The point being?
What makes this decision difficult is really not all that different from what makes a decision where to attend college for any h.s. senior. The important variables are personal, and those are not issues any of us can really assist with.
That’s why I don’t understand why what others have done, from a statistical standpoint, is relevant.
Ymmv
SpicoliSail

Post by SpicoliSail »

No guarantee your daughter will: stay on the engineering path at UIUC or stay at UIUC until she completes her undergrad. Same at UF and no guarantee, however, still at an excellent public university if she changes her major. And fellow Boglehead posters have provided average salaries after graduation. Maybe your daughter would be on the lower end of that salary average from UIUC, but on the higher end of that salary from UF. Then where is that job? State with an income tax or no income tax? HCOL or MCOL city?

For GT though, I wouldn’t be interested anymore after they said, “sorry, you are on a waitlist and we’ll call you if we don’t get enough of the students we accepted in first round to attend GT.” She has two other excellent options at UIUC and UF (depending on her 2-23 UF decision) that both want her and appreciate her achievements enough to offer her an acceptance in the first round of decisions.

That is a good amount of money your daughter will have if she attends UF. As someone with a NMF kid (stayed in FL) and BF/Benacquisto scholarships funded by the state of Florida, I know the scholarships provide a full ride. Undergrad debt free at an excellent public university and a large sum of money gifted by you, that is a great way for her to finish an undergrad education.

Good luck to your daughter with whatever she decides! Ultimately, whatever undergrad school she chooses, it comes down to her anyways. Both schools will open up opportunities for her, but it’s up to her to take advantage of those opportunities.
livingalmostlarge

Post by livingalmostlarge »

I am following what is happening?
Topic Author
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

livingalmostlarge wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:58 pm I am following what is happening?
There are a few variables still left but we just got several good news that pretty much sealed the deal in favor of UF. (It finally tilted the wife's preference.)

1. Last week, she got accepted to UF (which was expected).
2. Yesterday, I took my daughter to UF to meet with professors/advisor/several club leaders and see the dorm. One computer engineering professor even told DD to work in his robotics lab starting this Fall. Every student we met was so positive. All the juniors/seniors had internship/jobs secured. I can picture my daughter will grow and succeed in that peer environment.
3. Finally, a few hours ago, she received the merit scholarship email from UF. The total package with the already eligible scholarships is full tuition + $20k/yr stipend. This UF merit scholarship was unexpected, as she hasn't received any school merit scholarship from other schools yet. This recognition from UF tipped the scale.

I really appreciate all the diverse opinions this community provided. They were instrumental in convincing my wife and me. Of course, the final decision will be made by the daughter and I believe all 3 are on the same page for the 1st time in years.
student

Post by student »

acegolfer wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:48 pm
livingalmostlarge wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:58 pm I am following what is happening?
There are a few variables still left but we just got several good news that pretty much sealed the deal in favor of UF. (It finally tilted the wife's preference.)

2. Yesterday, I took my daughter to UF to meet with professors/advisor/several club leaders and see the dorm. One computer engineering professor even told DD to work in his robotics lab starting this Fall. Every student we met was so positive. All the juniors/seniors had internship/jobs secured. I can picture my daughter will grow and succeed in that peer environment.
3. Finally, a few hours ago, she received the merit scholarship email from UF. The total package with the already eligible scholarships is full tuition + $20k/yr stipend. This UF merit scholarship was unexpected, as she hasn't received any school merit scholarship from other schools yet. This recognition from UF tipped the scale.

I really appreciate all the diverse opinions this community provided. They were instrumental in convincing my wife and me. Of course, the final decision will be made by the daughter and I believe all 3 are on the same page for the 1st time in years.
Congratulations!!!
MMiroir

Post by MMiroir »

Congratulations!! As I mentioned upthread, the rising seniors at the UF accepted students day that we attended were the most enthusiastic we had seen. Sounds like she is in a similar position.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

Congratulations! :-)
GreendaleCC

Post by GreendaleCC »

Congratulations to your family!
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

It's difficult to make a wrong choice given factors like this.

It helps to be (merit scholarship) part of an "elite" within any group - the status often imbues the student with extra drive and focus (there's a huge amount of research that has shown this*).

I imagine she will have a great 4 years there - intellectually but also emotionally. What a great start in life.

* mostly in education contexts. But also something like Israel. The elite units of the IDF get the best 19 year olds (fighter pilots,Special Forces, paratroops, marines, intelligence & electronic warfare etc) who then go on to get the best jobs after university (the big 3 consultancies, investment banks etc).
yoga

Post by yoga »

Excellent news, congrats to your family and especially your daughter for her accomplishments.
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

Congrats and good luck to your daughter!!
catdoctor

Post by catdoctor »

Normchad wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:12 pm Take the full ride….
+1
Topic Author
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

Valuethinker wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:08 am * mostly in education contexts. But also something like Israel. The elite units of the IDF get the best 19 year olds (fighter pilots, Special Forces, paratroops, marines, intelligence & electronic warfare etc) who then go on to get the best jobs after university (the big 3 consultancies, investment banks etc).
Yes. I'm not disagreeing but just curious how these studies treated the apparent endogeneity problem. (totally unrelated topic so you can DM me instead)
livingalmostlarge

Post by livingalmostlarge »

congratulations! Wow
bogcricketer76

Post by bogcricketer76 »

Congratulations on your decision. We are in the same boat as well. We are planning on going to Urbana champaign and make our final decision as well. If you can DM me on what you saw, I can use that as a starting point.
Last edited by bogcricketer76 on Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Renzi

Post by Renzi »

Very glad you came to the right choice; this will be the best decision of your daughter's life!

Full context I'm a UF grad and had to make the same choice between UF (Full Ride + Stipend) and my preferred Ivy (at cost). I chose UF and it was the absolute best decision of my life. It's a fun place to go to school for 4 years and the UF network is far stronger than UIUC (I always favor UF resumes when hiring, same with every other grad I know). The biggest benefit though is the full ride and stipend - no need to work, no need to take on debt, you just focus on school and have complete flexibility in what you do afterward. I could NOT have afforded to go to an Ivy grad school if I took on significant debt for undergrad.

Also, I expect your peers at UF will be a cut above UIUC if you are coming in on full ride and stipend, particularly in honors college. I recall most of my freshman friends in honor college were near perfect SAT students who turned down one or more Ivys. I used to hang with my roommate and the two guys in the dorm across the hall - they are both multimillionaires now (bitcoin and snapchat), and my roommate is a Stanford grad, Berkley PHD who now works at NASA. Not every grad is like this of course, but you won't have any issue surrounding yourself with smart and ambitious people and you won't be begging for a 70k job after graduation.