Supermarket pizza - any good ones? Any great ones?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Scottyjj1

Re: Supermarket pizza - any good ones? Any great ones?

Post by Scottyjj1 »

Scottyjj1 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:53 am
Marylander1 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:50 am If available in your area Pinsa are much better than most pizza restaurants. https://www.pinsa.love/
100% agree, not like traditional pizza. rectangular- they look hand made. the crust is the key, crispy and light. so good, we buy the cheese one and add our own toppings.

https://www.pinsa.love/
I live in DC and they are now delivering frozen Pinsa. I had one with bacon and ricotta- anything with bacon makes me happy! It was exceptional.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

gunny2 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:35 pm IMO they are all pretty nasty save one: DiGiorgnios (sp)? It's not "great" - expecting a frozen pizza to be great is a fool's errand IMO - but it is respectable. Still, I'd rather just get a really good pizza at a mom n pop place or pass altogether. It's kind of like choosing between a Miller beer or no beer. Most days I'd say no beer in that case thank you.
Digiornio is mid. Better than average but there are many better options out there.

I would prefer a mom 'n pop too, but two pizzas is a $75 dinner with leftovers vs. a $10-12 one without for frozen.
A440

Post by A440 »

We like Aldi stuffed crust.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

Post by PeninsulaPerson »

lazydavid wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:21 am
I would prefer a mom 'n pop too, but two pizzas is a $75 dinner with leftovers vs. a $10-12 one without for frozen.

This started when our local beloved pizzeria closed and I got curious about supermarket pizzas after wandering by the freezer case by chance once day and being amazed at how many there are.

The Rao's was just the perfect size for a super-easy dinner for two. Just one small-ish piece left over which I ate cold the next day (to test it) and it was also good.

Eating out has gotten surprisingly expensive - even for pizza. $75 for two pizzas is a lot! Takeout has gotten surprisingly-expensive too!
gunny2

Post by gunny2 »

PeninsulaPerson wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:04 am Eating out has gotten surprisingly expensive - even for pizza. $75 for two pizzas is a lot!
Wow; tell me that includes booze? I can easily get quality pizza for half that or less around here.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

gunny2 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:21 am
PeninsulaPerson wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:04 am Eating out has gotten surprisingly expensive - even for pizza. $75 for two pizzas is a lot!
Wow; tell me that includes booze? I can easily get quality pizza for half that or less around here.
Nope. At our favorite place, it's $18.95 for a large thin crust cheese. Plus $2.75 per topping, typically 4 or 5 of those per (fresh garlic is mandatory! :) plus 3 or 4 others). So now we're at $30-33 for one pizza. x2 is $60-66. Now add tax and tip. Voila! $75.

It costs me about $12 to make a quality pizza at home from scratch except for fresh dough from Aldi ($1.75). So I'm not seeing how a business could be profitable making one for me for $15 or less.
Scottyjj1

Post by Scottyjj1 »

PeninsulaPerson wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:04 am
lazydavid wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:21 am

This started when our local beloved pizzeria closed and I got curious about supermarket pizzas after wandering by the freezer case by chance once day and being amazed at how many there are.

The Rao's was just the perfect size for a super-easy dinner for two. Just one small-ish piece left over which I ate cold the next day (to test it) and it was also good.

Eating out has gotten surprisingly expensive - even for pizza. $75 for two pizzas is a lot! Takeout has gotten surprisingly-expensive too!
totally agree about crazy expensive to eat out or delivery.

I feel like my dad- i remember when a movie was a dime---but, fast food lunch at 15$ and you dont remember what you ate by dinner time? the world is crazy
bendix

Post by bendix »

What´s bad about the Kirkland pizza that Costco is selling? For a frozen pizza very acceptable.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Scottyjj1 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:03 pm totally agree about crazy expensive to eat out or delivery.

I feel like my dad- i remember when a movie was a dime---but, fast food lunch at 15$ and you dont remember what you ate by dinner time? the world is crazy
Yup. A cheeseburger, regular fries and soda at Five Guys is now $23.

But there are bargains to be had. That same $23 will get me a 10x better cheeseburger, with fries and a 9 oz pour of a perfectly serviceable Cabernet at Ruth's Chris during happy hour (Sunday-Friday 4:30-6:30pm).

Back closer to the thread topic, another local pizza place we enjoy has 1/2 price pizzas (limit 1 per person, dine in only) on Tuesdays. So we can get 2 excellent deep dish pizzas AND booze for $75-80 including tip, with a bunch of leftovers to take home. :)
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

Scottyjj1 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:03 pm

The world is crazy!

I remember when we used to buy concert tickets for folks like Springsteen and many, many, many more and they cost $25-ish a seat. Not great seats, by any means. But seats in the old (and the best) Boston Garden.

When I hear what concert tickets cost today (to all-too-often watch the show on a "jumbletron" - as a previous Boston mayor used to call them!), I literally cannot believe it.

But $30 for a large, good pizza around here is very common. Can get plain cheese for less if one likes plain cheese.

(Cocktails around here start at $12 to $14-ish.)
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

PeninsulaPerson wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:23 pm When I hear what concert tickets cost today (to all-too-often watch the show on a "jumbletron" - as a previous Boston mayor used to call them!), I literally cannot believe it.
Go to local shows. They don't have to be mega famous for it to be great music and a good vibe.

Also, picked up some more Red Baron for $4 a pop yesterday. About to eat some now.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
gunny2

Post by gunny2 »

lazydavid wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:13 pm Yup. A cheeseburger, regular fries and soda at Five Guys is now $23.
I heard people raving about that place so I went to one. When I saw the prices, I literally laughed out loud and left.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

Scottyjj1 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:03 pm totally agree about crazy expensive to eat out or delivery.

Same. Chinese takeout for lunch here averages $12/meal now. I remember when those were under $5. It's a different world.

Back to the topic, Bellatoria frozen pizzas have been on sale here for $4.50 at the grocery, which is a great value, and there's plenty for two people.
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

Beensabu wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:08 pm
Go to local shows. They don't have to be mega famous for it to be great music and a good vibe.

Good point!

And then money leftover to spend on pizza!
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

ClevrChico wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:59 am

Same. Chinese takeout for lunch here averages $12/meal now. I remember when those were under $5. It's a different world.

Back to the topic, Bellatoria frozen pizzas have been on sale here for $4.50 at the grocery, which is a great value, and there's plenty for two people.

One favorite Chinese place has gone up a lot. And portions are noticeably smaller.

That Rao’s pizza cost $12ish and with a salad was a good dinner for two. Not an every night thing but it was easy and a bargain.
AlohaBill

Post by AlohaBill »

I buy store bought pizza crusts (I check the salt content). I use no salt tomato sauce. I use low salt cheese (most of the time it’s not low salt). I put on onions, garlic, and oregano. Bake in the oven for 12 minutes.
On days I go to my kids homes and they have real pizza, I really enjoy a slice (or 2).
Pizza, along with potato chips, consist of carbs, sodium, and fat: all the good things in the all American diet. My diabetes dietitian, my heart doc and my regular doc all say pizza is forbidden. Alas, I am weak. :beer
Ps. I can’t drink beer anymore.
tradercj

Post by tradercj »

I like Home Run Inn. On sale I have been getting for $5
biscuit5

Post by biscuit5 »

What's with no cardboard circle with some frozen pizzas? I feel cheated.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

biscuit5 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:15 pm What's with no cardboard circle with some frozen pizzas? I feel cheated.
I hear you.
The brand I buy used to have a cardboard circle but dropped it at some point in the last few months. I liked using the circle to slip it in the oven on a preheated stone. Now I risk injury
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

SmileyFace wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:57 pm
biscuit5 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:15 pm What's with no cardboard circle with some frozen pizzas? I feel cheated.
I hear you.
The brand I buy used to have a cardboard circle but dropped it at some point in the last few months. I liked using the circle to slip it in the oven on a preheated stone. Now I risk injury
Which brand?
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

PeninsulaPerson wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:34 am
Beensabu wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:08 pm

Good point!

And then money leftover to spend on pizza!
Saw a matinee performance at the local community theater last week - 3 hours of slapstick. Movie slapstick is not the same - a live performance of slapstick requires great timing and athleticism. I spent the entire time laughing, and was very impressed with the cast.

Unfortunately, I live in a pizza desert, so no après theater pizza for me. :(
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:11 pm
SmileyFace wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:57 pm
I hear you.
Which brand?
Frechetta Gluten Free
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

I am honestly a big fan of Jeno's frozen pizza. It is seriously very good.
biscuit5

Post by biscuit5 »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:11 pm Which brand?
Theres a couple off brands that do it. One is in a cardboard box you can fold to replace the circle.

Not that I buy Totinos in the little red box anymore, but those do not.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I usually make my own pizza from scratch. If I don't have time and don't want to get delivery (a lot of good pizza in Chicago, not just deep dish) the ones I like are the "deli" pizza from Aldi (Mega meat thin take and bake) and Home run Inn Classic (frozen). The Detroit style (Motor City brand) pizza (I get it at Costco) is also very good. The Screamin' Sicilian frozen pizzas are also decent.

Though frozen pizza has come a long way, so many have that off taste like cardboard to the crust.
biscuit5

Post by biscuit5 »

michaeljc70 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:03 pm ... The Screamin' Sicilian frozen pizzas...
..have no cardboard circle either.
gunny2

Post by gunny2 »

Not following the "cardboard circle" comments...?
henry

Post by henry »

gunny2 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:02 am Not following the "cardboard circle" comments...?
Many frozen pizzas come packaged sitting on a circle of cardboard the diameter of the pizza. Often the combination is wrapped in cellophane, or placed in a box.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

biscuit5 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:28 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:03 pm ... The Screamin' Sicilian frozen pizzas...
Yes. Which means I need a cutting board to cut it on. I usually just cut on the cardboard.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:49 am
Yes. Which means I need a cutting board to cut it on. I usually just cut on the cardboard.
Unless the only packaging when you get it from the store is a cellophane wrap with a sheet of paper or sticker as a label, you still have a cutting board. Open both ends of the box. It's better than the cardboard circle anyway. Larger, so you don't have to be as precise, and non-absorbent so your crust doesn't get mushy.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

lazydavid wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:26 am
michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:49 am
Unless the only packaging when you get it from the store is a cellophane wrap with a sheet of paper or sticker as a label, you still have a cutting board. Open both ends of the box. It's better than the cardboard circle anyway. Larger, so you don't have to be as precise, and non-absorbent so your crust doesn't get mushy.
I have done that in the past. But our kitchen is being renovated so we don't have counters and I am cutting on a glass table.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:29 am I have done that in the past. But our kitchen is being renovated so we don't have counters and I am cutting on a glass table.
So more coverage of the table, and no opportunity for leak-through is a bad thing?
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

lazydavid wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:47 am
michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:29 am I have done that in the past. But our kitchen is being renovated so we don't have counters and I am cutting on a glass table.
So more coverage of the table, and no opportunity for leak-through is a bad thing?
I'm saying the box is a lot thinner than the typical cardboard circle and could damage the table.
gunny2

Post by gunny2 »

henry wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:38 am
gunny2 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:02 am Not following the "cardboard circle" comments...?
Many frozen pizzas come packaged sitting on a circle of cardboard the diameter of the pizza. Often the combination is wrapped in cellophane, or placed in a box.
Ok thanks. I thought maybe it meant those that come with that reflective silver on the bottom so you can supposedly nuke them and they won't be soggy. :)
yolointopants

Post by yolointopants »

criticalmass wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:45 pm Whole Foods pizza is very good and has excellent crust, I recommend the ancient grain option.

It starts at $12 for the large pie, hot out of the oven.
They had $10 large cheese pies every Friday, but that seems to have disappeared after December.
2nd vote for this. It's $12 for a single topping on Fridays with an Amazon Prime membership. Hands down best value in pizza. Excellent crust, NY style with the thin and airy crust. Just ordered one last week at Whole Foods.
keystone

Post by keystone »

I've only had two supermarket pizzas that I would categorize as good, Table 87 and American Flatbread (Revolution).
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

By far my favorite is Motor City Deep Dish at Costco. It’s the best frozen pizza I have ever had. Great value too for the quality.
Badinvestor

Post by Badinvestor »

Following up on criticalmass and yolointopants' Whole Foods suggestions, since OP is in greater Boston, OP might wish to try the pizza baked and sold hot at a number of Market Basket stores.
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

Badinvestor wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:39 pm
... since OP is in greater Boston, OP might wish to try the pizza baked and sold hot at a number of Market Basket stores.

Good idea!

We used to go to Market Basket a lot. It's a little out of the way for us - both of the MBs near us are. But we used to go to one all the time before Covid, then got out of the habit. May have to make a trip again and try that pizza!

MB is beloved around here - deservedly so!
Scottyjj1

Post by Scottyjj1 »

I got a delivery last week of frozen pizza, so tech not from a supermarket.

Chicken Parmesan Pinsa and Bacon Pinsa... totally competes and wins against pizza delivery and carryout.

Crust comes out crispy but airy.

This is the bacon one-
https://www.pinsa.love/eckington/p/pest ... insa-wyw5j
www.pinsa.love
gunny2

Post by gunny2 »

I was in the store the other day and thought about trying one that's been mentioned here, but none had a small size. :( I'm not buying a whole big pizza just for me (and leftover pizza blows). I'm surprised more don't offer that.
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

gunny2 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:04 pm I was in the store the other day and thought about trying one that's been mentioned here, but none had a small size. :( I'm not buying a whole big pizza just for me (and leftover pizza blows). I'm surprised more don't offer that.
Leftover pizza blows if you don't have an air fryer. :wink:

I have a Ninja Air Fryer / Pressure Cooker combo unit. Leftover spaghetti in the pressure cooker and leftover pizza in the air fryer come out like they were just made fresh.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

kevinf wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:10 pm
gunny2 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:04 pm I was in the store the other day and thought about trying one that's been mentioned here, but none had a small size. :( I'm not buying a whole big pizza just for me (and leftover pizza blows). I'm surprised more don't offer that.

I have a Ninja Air Fryer / Pressure Cooker combo unit. Leftover spaghetti in the pressure cooker and leftover pizza in the air fryer come out like they were just made fresh.
I don't find that. I heat a cast iron skillet (though any pan would work). I place a piece of foil on the bottom that is 2x the size needed to cover the bottom of the pan. I place the pizza on the foil and fold over the foil (not touching because the cheese will stick). If you don't care about dirtying a pan you can just use a pan with a lid. I would keep it ajar though as the crust won't crisp if steam cannot be released. Almost as good as fresh.

I've seen many people say just use a skillet. I find the bottom burns without the cheese melting if you don't have some kind of heat trap.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

I tried a frozen Gino's East from Safeway. It was fairly horrifying. The crust was like cardboard. No flavor.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
gunny2

Post by gunny2 »

Sorry all you will never convince me leftover pizza is anything other than disgusting. :) To each their own! Probably just as well, it's not exactly a health food...
zie

Post by zie »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:17 pm

I don't find that. I heat a cast iron skillet (though any pan would work). I place a piece of foil on the bottom that is 2x the size needed to cover the bottom of the pan. I place the pizza on the foil and fold over the foil (not touching because the cheese will stick). If you don't care about dirtying a pan you can just use a pan with a lid. I would keep it ajar though as the crust won't crisp if steam cannot be released. Almost as good as fresh.

I've seen many people say just use a skillet. I find the bottom burns without the cheese melting if you don't have some kind of heat trap.
Interesting! What I do is microwave the pizza for 30s or so just to get the top and middle warm, then I put it in the cast iron skillet(with lid) to crisp up the bottom.
Whether rich or poor, a young woman should know how a bank account works, understand the composition of mortgages and bonds, and know the value of interest and how it accumulates. -Hetty Green
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

I have never had a bad pizza. But some are much better than others. From frozen I prefer the ones with self-rising crust - DiGiorno, Freschetta, or store brand. All are quite decent to excellent. The Motor City Pizza Co. pizzas are tasty but pale imitations of proper Detroit-style pizza - the crust is too fluffy, the edges and corners don't get deeply caramelized. The Totino's party pizzas - square but not Detroit-style - are excellent for their price when they are on sale.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

45 years of pizza re-heating experience: From refrigerated temperature, heat for 10 minutes on a sheet pan in a preheated 350 deg oven. Maybe 9 or 11 minutes if it's particularly thin or thick. Perfect every time.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

zie wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:59 pm

Interesting! What I do is microwave the pizza for 30s or so just to get the top and middle warm, then I put it in the cast iron skillet(with lid) to crisp up the bottom.
Interesting. I have a steam oven and that does a great job (there is actually a program for reheating pizza) but I only use that for larger quantities as it takes longer than a skillet. I don't know the science behind it but I am guessing a little steam helps keep the cheese from drying out.
zie

Post by zie »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:02 pm
zie wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:59 pm

Interesting. I have a steam oven and that does a great job (there is actually a program for reheating pizza) but I only use that for larger quantities as it takes longer than a skillet. I don't know the science behind it but I am guessing a little steam helps keep the cheese from drying out.
I don't know the science either, but that would make sense. I agree the lid on the pan is important.
Whether rich or poor, a young woman should know how a bank account works, understand the composition of mortgages and bonds, and know the value of interest and how it accumulates. -Hetty Green