Do you use Stop & Shop (or your supermarket's) "digital coupons"?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
UpperNwGuy

Re: Do you use Stop & Shop (or your supermarket's) "digital coupons"?

Post by UpperNwGuy »

PeninsulaPerson wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:56 am Do you use your supermarket's digital coupons (especially Stop & Shop) and do you recommend it? Is it easy?
I use digital coupons at Safeway and at CVS. Safeway has far fewer coupons than they used to have. CVS has more than ever.

I used to use digital coupons at Giant Food, but they seem to have died out. I've never figured out if Wegmans offers them or not.
HanSolo

Post by HanSolo »

lazydavid wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:47 am
FactualFran wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:03 pm
Kenkat wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:37 pm For Kroger at least, you can clip the digital coupons on a PC or other device at home and then just either key in your phone number or scan your shopper’s card at the point of sale.
My phone number would mean nothing to the supermarket. I don't have a shopper's card.
So the limiting factor is not, in fact, that you don't carry the "required device" as you originally claimed.
Your opinion differs from the information I got from the staff at Ralph's (subsidiary of Kroger).

At Ralph's, I've seen three different kinds of discount price tags at the shelf: unconditional discount, discount that requires a Ralph's card (or phone number associated with the card), and so-called "digital coupon" (that wording appears on the tag at the shelf). If I show up at Ralph's with my Ralph's card but no phone (or only my non-smart phone), I can get only the first two kinds and not the 3rd kind. If I tell the cashier that I want the "digital coupon" price as marked on the shelf but I don't have a phone (or show them my non-smart phone), they'll either manually enter the discount price or they'll tell me I'm out of luck (depends on the cashier, and I'm appreciative of those who do the former). In the latter case, if I suggest that there ought to be a way for customers who don't own a smartphone to get the "digital coupon" price marked on the shelf, they say that's not possible currently, but I can send a letter to corporate if I want to submit my idea for consideration.
Kenkat wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:37 pm
FactualFran wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:05 pm I have never used a supermarket digital coupon. I don't carry a required device.
For Kroger at least, you can clip the digital coupons on a PC or other device at home and then just either key in your phone number or scan your shopper’s card at the point of sale.
I don't really have the time to do searches on their website before I go to the grocery store. Sometimes I go to the store as a spur-of-the-moment thing while I'm out doing other stuff, and sometimes I decide to buy something while I'm in the store.
Mr. Rumples wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:42 am Part of this is generational; for my friends, most forgo the digital things. It's difficult enough to remain independent doing the everyday things let alone adding technology to the mix. The jitterbug flip phone doesn't seem to allow downloading applications. It's as if they simply don't care or are unaware of an entire segment of the population.
My experience leads me to the same perception.
Strategic Macro Senior (top 1%, 2019 Bogleheads Contest)
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

YeahBuddy wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:53 am
eddot98 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:44 pm No, not worth my time or effort.
Same. It seems what we want to eat is never on sale. Healthy food rarely have coupons. (How often do you see coupons on fresh fruit and veggies, or fish?).
We don’t buy fresh fruit, veggies, fish, or meat at any large chain supermarkets. Those products are inferior to the ones that we get at the local food store that specializes in fresh fruit and veggies and contracts out the meat and fish counters to a local butcher and fish monger. The difference in taste is pronounced.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

HanSolo wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:16 am
lazydavid wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:47 am So the limiting factor is not, in fact, that you don't carry the "required device" as you originally claimed.
Your opinion differs from the information I got from the staff at Ralph's (subsidiary of Kroger).
Not it doesn't, as you yourself admit:
HanSolo wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:16 am I don't really have the time to do searches on their website before I go to the grocery store. Sometimes I go to the store as a spur-of-the-moment thing while I'm out doing other stuff, and sometimes I decide to buy something while I'm in the store.
You've chosen not to carry a device that allows you to clip coupons while in the store. Which is fine. But you've also chosen not to clip them at home, which can be done at any time--not just when you're specifically planning to go to the store. There's no searching required. Go to the website, click the "digital coupons" button at the top and browse. It took me less than 3 minutes to scan through everything available, which is 375 as of now.

Additionally, the default sort order is "Relevance". This means that coupons that are featured that week are near the top, as are those for items you've purchased previously. So browsing through the ones you are most likely to take advantage of takes less than 20 seconds. Far less time than it took you to put this post together. :mrgreen: You can also sort by most recently added, expiring soonest, or largest value.
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

We use digital coupons all the time, including at Stop and Shop. You don't need to use a phone. You can sign up online and clip the coupons there. New ones come out every Sunday for the upcoming week. When you go to the store, you punch in your phone number at checkout, and it will apply the coupons you "clipped" online.

You will have to sign up, though, there's no getting around that.

We have more than one supermarket near us, and Stop and Shop is generally more expensive, so it's not our go-to store.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

lazydavid wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:40 am
lazydavid wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:47 am So the limiting factor is not, in fact, that you don't carry the "required device" as you originally claimed.
HanSolo wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:16 am I don't really have the time to do searches on their website before I go to the grocery store. Sometimes I go to the store as a spur-of-the-moment thing while I'm out doing other stuff, and sometimes I decide to buy something while I'm in the store.
You've chosen not to carry a device that allows you to clip coupons while in the store. Which is fine. But you've also chosen not to clip them at home, which can be done at any time--not just when you're specifically planning to go to the store. There's no searching required. Go to the website, click the "digital coupons" button at the top and browse. It took me less than 3 minutes to scan through everything available, which is 375 as of now.

Additionally, the default sort order is "Relevance". This means that coupons that are featured that week are near the top, as are those for items you've purchased previously. So browsing through the ones you are most likely to take advantage of takes less than 20 seconds. Far less time than it took you to put this post together. :mrgreen: You can also sort by most recently added, expiring soonest, or largest value.
To repeat from above, it’s a two-tier pricing model. One price for people who are value conscious and are willing to clip coupons and price compare and another price for people who are convenience conscious and don’t want to spend the time, jump through the hoops, etc. If I was a store, that’s the model I would use as it allows you to capture both audiences.

We also shop at Wal-Mart which doesn’t use this model and although we buy a fair amount of stuff there, there are items where we will wait for a sale at Kroger. Just an example - a 12 pack of soft drinks is $7.99 at Wal-Mart and $9.99 at Kroger. However, if you wait for a sale and digital coupon at Kroger, they are $3.99-$4.99. So that’s what we do; wait for the sale and stock up.
HanSolo

Post by HanSolo »

lazydavid wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:40 am
You've chosen not to carry a device that allows you to clip coupons while in the store.
It's not that I'm choosing not to "carry" one, I don't even own one in the first place. The original comment that you responded to was that people without the required device can't get the discount. I reported that the Ralph's staff informed me that I can't get the discount without the device. So when I said that your opinion contradicts the in-store staff, that's simply information. It's something that happened.
But you've also chosen not to clip them at home, which can be done at any time--not just when you're specifically planning to go to the store.
First of all, no, it can't be done "at any time". If I'm out and about all day, and my computer and web access is at home, then I can't just browse their website while I'm on the bus going from the gym to the store (and I didn't even know I'd be going to the store when I left the house that morning). Yes, I could do that if I had a smartphone, but then we're back to "not having the required device" which is the original complaint.

Also, someone in this thread said that "digital coupons" can be found on the web, and I didn't even know about that until today, reading this thread. So I never "chose" not to do that. Your assertion on this matter is simply false (again).

Also, nobody confirmed that the "digital coupons" that are allegedly accessible on the store's website include all of the "digital coupons" I've seen tagged on the store shelf at the Ralph's in question (where I used to shop, I don't go there anymore). Since you haven't confirmed that either, it would be better for you to phrase your assertions as either speculations or questions rather than facts (since your assertions are clearly not established as facts).
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

Same. It seems what we want to eat is never on sale. Healthy food rarely have coupons. (How often do you see coupons on fresh fruit and veggies, or fish?).
I eat a ton of fruit and veggies, and maybe it is unfortunate, but nowadays, I've noticed Kroger often requires clipping a digital coupon to get the weekly sale price on produce. As an example, the $0.89/asparagus bunch they had on sale this week required that.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

HanSolo wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:07 am
lazydavid wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:40 am But you've also chosen not to clip them at home, which can be done at any time--not just when you're specifically planning to go to the store.
First of all, no, it can't be done "at any time". If I'm out and about all day, and my computer and web access is at home, then I can't just browse their website while I'm on the bus going from the gym to the store (and I didn't even know I'd be going to the store when I left the house that morning). Yes, I could do that if I had a smartphone, but then we're back to "not having the required device" which is the original complaint.
By "any time", I mean you could do it on Sunday morning with your coffee. You could do it on Wednesday when the circulars (presumably) hit your mailbox. You could do it right now while you're browsing bogleheads. You could do it any number of other times during the week/month (some of the coupons are valid for quite a long time). I didn't literally mean you could use your home computer on the bus.

This is really not all that different from back in the day, when if you didn't take the time to clip the physical coupon, you didn't get the discount.
HanSolo wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:07 amAlso, someone in this thread said that "digital coupons" can be found on the web, and I didn't even know about that until today, reading this thread. So I never "chose" not to do that. Your assertion on this matter is simply false (again).
Fair. And now you are better informed. :D So going forward, whether you do it or not will be a choice.
HanSolo wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:07 amAlso, nobody confirmed that the "digital coupons" that are allegedly accessible on the store's website include all of the "digital coupons" I've seen tagged on the store shelf at the Ralph's in question (where I used to shop, I don't go there anymore). Since you haven't confirmed that either, it would be better for you to phrase your assertions as either speculations or questions rather than facts (since your assertions are clearly not established as facts).
Then I'll confirm it for you, as one of my local stores (Mariano's) is also a Kroger brand, and all Kroger locations use the same back-end system. The website shows 377 coupons, while the app shows 379. This is because I have two coupons clipped, and the default view in the app includes those while the website has them on a separate tab. They're the same coupons, in the same order for all purchasable products. The few at the top for point bonuses and such are in a slightly different order.

Interestingly enough, the overwhelming majority of coupons--if not all (I didn't check every single one)--that are in my Mariano's app are the same as on the Ralph's website. And if I log into Ralph's website (which I've never done in my life), my same two coupons are already clipped.
HanSolo

Post by HanSolo »

lazydavid wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:10 am
HanSolo wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:07 am
lazydavid wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:40 am But you've also chosen not to clip them at home, which can be done at any time--not just when you're specifically planning to go to the store.
By "any time", I mean you could do it on Sunday morning with your coffee.
Your suggestion might be practical for people who cook or otherwise keep a lot of food at home, and therefore know in advance what 20 to 40 items they're going to buy that week. I eat out all the time. If I'm at the gym working up a sweat and think "a pumpkin pie sounds good", then I don't have time to take the bus home, get online to check for a coupon (which probably won't be there), then take the bus out again to the store, just having lost an hour to go home and check.

In any case, I'm not asking you for suggestions, as I already solved the problem (see below). My purpose in posting was to share my experience in regard to the subject matter, and I have done that.
This is really not all that different from back in the day,
False. What's different is that they now put a price on the shelf that, at the register, the store manager told me I can't get because of not having the required device. My position is that if I see a price on the shelf, then they should provide a way for me to get that price other than by doing some electronic interaction that I may or may not be equipped to do. This is what's different from back in the day.
HanSolo wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:07 amAlso, someone in this thread said that "digital coupons" can be found on the web, and I didn't even know about that until today, reading this thread. So I never "chose" not to do that. Your assertion on this matter is simply false (again).
Fair. And now you are better informed. :D So going forward, whether you do it or not will be a choice.
I don't know whether your information is accurate or not. I'll go with what the store manager told me (that a device is required to get the price marked on the shelf as a "digital coupon") rather than what "some guy on the internet" told me. The store manager (and it wasn't just one) must know something about the operation of their own store.

And it doesn't matter anyway, since I stopped shopping at Ralph's.
HanSolo wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:07 amAlso, nobody confirmed that the "digital coupons" that are allegedly accessible on the store's website include all of the "digital coupons" I've seen tagged on the store shelf at the Ralph's in question (where I used to shop, I don't go there anymore).
Then I'll confirm it for you,
You haven't confirmed anything about the store or the items in question (other than in theory). So who knows.

Bottom line, some people want to jump through hoops and some don't. I don't want to, so I don't do that.
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:47 pm If you want low prices where you don't need to jump through hoops, just go to Market Basket. Way cheaper and no hoops.
Sounds good.
FactualFran

Post by FactualFran »

PeninsulaPerson wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:49 am If you don't have a card, do you tell them you "forgot" your card so you get the sale price or do you pay full price?
I pay the full price. I would not claim to have "forgot" something that I do not have. I use a supermarket that has reasonable standard prices for the items that I usually buy.
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

dodecahedron wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:51 am
Hannaford often offers me coupons for “any produce item” and/or specific produce items that I buy, carrots, broccoli, avocadoes, etc. Also coupons for plain yogurt or kefir. Also frozen fruit and veggies (without sauces or added sugar or salt) and frozen wildcaught salmon or shellfish. Also natural peanut butter with no additives, canned beans including those without added salt.

Safeway also offers such coupons but less noticeably.

Hannaford really promotes healthful foods, with an in store nutritionist for consultations and cooking classes as well as a Guiding Star labeling system highlighting healthy foods.

Wow. That doesn't happen here. I think the only local Hannaford turned into a "Big Y", years ago. So we are limited to Stop N Shop, Marketbasket, and Shaws.
Light weight baby!
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

eddot98 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:36 am
We don’t buy fresh fruit, veggies, fish, or meat at any large chain supermarkets. Those products are inferior to the ones that we get at the local food store that specializes in fresh fruit and veggies and contracts out the meat and fish counters to a local butcher and fish monger. The difference in taste is pronounced.
What's that have to do with this thread? They offer digital coupons? :D
Light weight baby!
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

I worked at Kroger in HS and college back in the early 70s. Since then I've always been looking for deals and used those paper coupons for years. I do clip a few deal coupons from their site (like 4X rewards on Fridays or gift cards), but have found I'd not rather look at their ad too close. As I go through the store, I look at items that have specials that are of interest to me. I find that I can pick that item up and scan the upc in the Kroger app and it will identify any digital coupons that might be applicable which I then clip at that moment. Probably 80% of the items I bring home have a supposed deal. Yes the post savings prices are still sometimes higher than the regular price was a few years ago but it often tallies up to $30 to $60 savings per the receipt. Yes their computer system sometimes does not ring up with the appropriate savings. I grudgingly spent 15 minutes a few weeks ago at the often unmanned so called service center to get a ad promised $4 savings on $20 of produce. Employee of 15 years could not identify which numbers to add up on the receipt to validate my assertion. I had to read the receipt to them so they could add up the appropriate numbers.

I often buy sale items and stock up for items we regularly use. Krogers will claim over the year we've saved perhaps $2000, but of course compared to another chain it might be half of that. I so use my Amex Express and get about $300 back on groceries and gift cards, usually Amazon. Typically use their rewards at $1/gallon to fill tank and a few 5 gallon cans for $35 at a time. Their will come a day when I tire of doing this but those $1/gal savings have totaled nearly $500/year for some time.
Scottyjj1

Post by Scottyjj1 »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:57 am
PeninsulaPerson wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:56 am Do you use your supermarket's digital coupons (especially Stop & Shop) and do you recommend it? Is it easy?
I use digital coupons at Safeway and at CVS. Safeway has far fewer coupons than they used to have. CVS has more than ever.

I used to use digital coupons at Giant Food, but they seem to have died out. I've never figured out if Wegmans offers them or not.
sometimes hard to figure out if they have em