60something and all I can think of is retirement...talk me down from the ledge

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
gunny2

60something and all I can think of is retirement...talk me down from the ledge

Post by gunny2 »

I think it's kind of like being a senior in college and kids get "senioritis"...being so close and yet so far it gets harder to stay focused and remember you haven't crossed the finish line yet! I can't retire early; I'm targeting 65 and IMO rightfully so. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has gone through this and if it got worse as you got closer.
sailaway

Re: 60something and all I can think of is retirement...talk me down from the ledge

Post by sailaway »

Why are you targeting 65?
sleepy06

Re: 60something and all I can think of is retirement...talk me down from the ledge

Post by sleepy06 »

I can only imagine everyone feels that way when they are that close.
You should be spending so much time on hobbies and having fun outside of work at this point that you don't care right?
You need more to think about
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

62 to 65 was hard for me, though I turned 62 during Covid, and it was extremely isolating.

I just put my head down like I did when running a long distance.
I went until 65, then long enough to max out retirement accounts, and called it quits.

You will have a long time after work. Try to find was to reduce stress that you put on yourself. I should have done that. I could have coasted and made it easier on myself, but I was looking out for my staff.
MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries »

I'm right there with you. I've got 2 years, 9 months and 1 day to go (but who is counting). Unfortunately, my job doesn't allow me to slack off or downshift. I just go to work every day and drag myself home at night.

I'm enjoying planning for retirement and I think one more year or so of dragging and then we should be OK. The last 18 months or so should go fast since then we'll be building the retirement home getting everything ready to retire.
We plan. G-d laughs.
Topic Author
gunny2

Post by gunny2 »

sleepy06 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:32 pm I can only imagine everyone feels that way when they are that close.
You should be spending so much time on hobbies and having fun outside of work at this point that you don't care right?
You need more to think about
lol! Maybe so

MathWizard wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:54 pm 62 to 65 was hard for me, though I turned 62 during Covid, and it was extremely isolating.

I just put my head down like I did when running a long distance.
I went until 65, then long enough to max out retirement accounts, and called it quits.

You will have a long time after work. Try to find was to reduce stress that you put on yourself. I should have done that. I could have coasted and made it easier on myself, but I was looking out for my staff.
Love the long-distance runner analogy; I'll try that. And don't get me wrong, I know I'm lucky to have what I have in life. But I wake up every day and it's like "oh no, not another work day..." Of course having a POS as a boss doesn't help, but it would be too convenient to blame it all on that. I don't think a new job is the answer either, and I'm very leery to change gears this late in the race anyway...careful what you ask for and all.
capran

Post by capran »

gunny2 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:21 pm I think it's kind of like being a senior in college and kids get "senioritis"...being so close and yet so far it gets harder to stay focused and remember you haven't crossed the finish line yet! I can't retire early; I'm targeting 65 and IMO rightfully so. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has gone through this and if it got worse as you got closer.
I didn't last that long. 63! Loved my work in education until the administrative team from hell arrived. A total makeover. But I set a 3 year goal, and each day, I wrote the days left on a single sheet of a jumbo roll of toilet paper and a steady peace came over me. I presented the bag of daily "sheets" to the administrator at my going away celebration. Only my co-workers were aware of the inside joke. My only regret was not leaving sooner. Life is too short, and we had plenty, and despite been the most ultra conservative "investor" (many Bogleheads would say I don't qualify as an "investor"), we still have more than we started with, and that's after putting child #2 through grad school and gifting enough over the years since retirement to be able to get into a house. A sailing couple once said "Go simple. Go Small. Go now." They were talking about sailing, but the same could be said about retiring.

Inner peace to you.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

I'm in trouble... I'll be 48 this year, and feel similar...
peterw

Post by peterw »

I like the toilet paper roll idea!

Did something similar.

Figure out the days of work days remaining in the current year and write all the numbers from that down to 0 on a piece of paper. Each day, cross off one until you get to zero. Do this each year.

Pay attention to the paycheck funds arriving in your bank account and making their way to your investment account. Remind yourself why you're still in the game. Think about the things you can afford because you are working -- where you live, your car, paying your medical bill, buying a gift for someone, eating out, traveling, etc.

At work, stop caring too much about things, but be diligent about your work. This may mean not offering ideas that you know will be shot down by the powers that-be. Instead, say "Yes", "Okay", "Sounds good." and "Will do" more often to the bosses. You will be see as a team player and a cool head. Don't work during lunch if you can avoid it:.. use that time for a nice break, maybe take a walk and remind yourself why you're in the game.

Leave the office at the office mentallly. Learn to mind your thoughts and cut them off before they spiral and bring on a sense of frustration.

Do fun things outside your working hours and on the weekends.

Imagine when you first started working. Think about all the years that have rolled by, which are way more than the years remaining. Likewise, the coming years will pass too.

You can trick and motivate yourself into doing just about anything. Find what works for you and do it. Your last day of work will arrive soon enough.
Topic Author
gunny2

Post by gunny2 »

capran wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:35 pm A sailing couple once said "Go simple. Go Small. Go now." They were talking about sailing, but the same could be said about retiring.

Inner peace to you.
Thank you, and you too. Yeah my retirement plan is based partly on the fact that I realistically won't ever have a high-dollar car (not new anyway), round the world vacations, a "summer home," or other very high-dollar retirement things, and that's OK.

SnowBog wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:50 pm I'm in trouble... I'll be 48 this year, and feel similar...
lol

tbh I have felt similar for a long time (my running joke is that I have the retirement mindset without the retirement bank account), but it always felt far away so it didn't really hit me until I turned 60.
Topic Author
gunny2

Post by gunny2 »

peterw wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:37 pm At work, stop caring too much about things,

Leave the office at the office mentallly.
I promise you that neither of these things are an issue. :) I stopped giving a flip years ago and when I'm not on the clock, my company/job isn't on my mind in the tiniest. When I leave this company whether it's for retirement or otherwise, the only reason I would care even a little if it went under is because I've worked with some nice people who I wouldn't want to see be put in that position.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

SnowBog wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:50 pm I'm in trouble... I'll be 48 this year, and feel similar...
Same age, but on short term disability. And can't bear the thought of ever returning to work.
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

I'm 54 and I keep thinking one stupid thing at work and I'm done. I value my time More than money. But I have something specific I want and I'm going to try to hang in there.

62 is the longest I'll wait but I hope I reach it sooner. I'm actually not asking for anything ridiculous and I like my job most of the time. So for now I'll power save to reach my goal and just coast along and enjoy life
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

gunny2 wrote: Yeah my retirement plan is based partly on the fact that I realistically won't ever have a high-dollar car (not new anyway), round the world vacations, a "summer home," or other very high-dollar retirement things, and that's OK.
Will a Porsche take you somewhere that a Toyota Corolla or Camry won't? What does a liability summer home give you that a vacation rental won't, other than always going to the same place, and being responsible for its upkeep? And travel can be done at different price points-- you might have more fun on an Elder Hostel, Road Scholar, or Friendship Force trip than on a luxury cruise.

Focus on what you enjoy.
Vinny_in_NJ

Post by Vinny_in_NJ »

I wanted to retire at 62, just had enough. Reality kicked in and I couldn't because on the medical market place healthcare was too expensive for the two of us. Drawing down all that retirement money just didn't make sense until Medicare kicked in. So I just diverted my attention to the better things about my job - it brings in money, doesn't cause us to draw down my retirement fund and I'm contributing to my 401K with their match. I would rather work longer than have to go to work in the future. I also focused on learning things I didn't know - Medicare, T Bills/Notes/Bonds, Brokered CDs, various other things and now trying to learn about the distribution of retirement money.

In 2 months I'm retiring at 65. In the 3 years I have learned a lot, our retirement money has grown a lot and I'm more ready to retire than I was 3 years ago. I will say I'm lucky in that I have a job that I'm able to coast although my boss doesn't understand why I'm not burning up the world the way he is.

The time does go by quickly and before you know it it'll be your time. Divert your thoughts to wanting to retire to something else.
kenai

Post by kenai »

I started having retirement thoughts when I was 45 years old. It got more intense as the years went on as the negative aspects of the job become more irksome and bothered me more. The thought of retirement consumed a lot of my time. I played with my retirement spreadsheets daily to see if I had enough to retire at 50 (which I managed to do). Time, at the time, went entirely way too slow. Except for weekends and the pandemic period. That flew by fast. That five-year period was torturous for me.
nepats

Post by nepats »

kenai wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:30 am I started having retirement thoughts when I was 45 years old. It got more intense as the years went on as the negative aspects of the job become more irksome and bothered me more. The thought of retirement consumed a lot of my time. I played with my retirement spreadsheets daily to see if I had enough to retire at 50 (which I managed to do). Time, at the time, went entirely way too slow. Except for weekends and the pandemic period. That flew by fast. That five-year period was torturous for me.
Any tips to survive those “in between” years? I am in similar situation.
PeninsulaPerson

Post by PeninsulaPerson »

Vinny_in_NJ wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:47 am
So I just diverted my attention to the better things about my job - it brings in money, doesn't cause us to draw down my retirement fund and I'm contributing to my 401K with their match. I would rather work longer than have to go to work in the future. I also focused on learning things I didn't know - Medicare, T Bills/Notes/Bonds, Brokered CDs, various other things and now trying to learn about the distribution of retirement money.

Divert your thoughts to wanting to retire to something else.

This is wisdom.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

When I was about 10 years from retirement, I had a boss that was just a couple years from retirement. Admittedly I was probably one reason he was looking forward to retirement, and why I was pretty sick of work and looking forward to retirement.

One day I asked him about a long chain of paper clips hanging from his bulletin board. Every clip was the same silver color except for the one at the end of the chain connected to the bulletin board. It was bright red. He said the clips represented the number of days until he would retire, and that each day he removed a clip from the chain. The bright red clip indicated his last day of work.

The day after he retired I found the bright red paper clip on my desk. :D
fortunefavored

Post by fortunefavored »

The last 2 years were the worst for me for sure. I had very large cliffs (6X expenses over those 2 years) and could not afford to slack and get laid off (which would have happened instantly - ruthless company.)

I feel like 5 years, especially as a percentage of your life remaining is probably too long to suffer. Sign off bogleheads, unplug from the market media, stop looking at your numbers. Double-down on your hobbies and family time.
Vinny_in_NJ

Post by Vinny_in_NJ »

PeninsulaPerson wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:15 am
Vinny_in_NJ wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:47 am
So I just diverted my attention to the better things about my job - it brings in money, doesn't cause us to draw down my retirement fund and I'm contributing to my 401K with their match. I would rather work longer than have to go to work in the future. I also focused on learning things I didn't know - Medicare, T Bills/Notes/Bonds, Brokered CDs, various other things and now trying to learn about the distribution of retirement money.

Divert your thoughts to wanting to retire to something else.

This is wisdom.
Thanks! I don't hear that often!!! LOL! :happy
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

Meanwhile, there’s talk about raising the retirement age. For many, that is their only viable option to fund retirement.
uthendo

Post by uthendo »

nepats wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:56 am
kenai wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:30 am I started having retirement thoughts when I was 45 years old. It got more intense as the years went on as the negative aspects of the job become more irksome and bothered me more. The thought of retirement consumed a lot of my time. I played with my retirement spreadsheets daily to see if I had enough to retire at 50 (which I managed to do). Time, at the time, went entirely way too slow. Except for weekends and the pandemic period. That flew by fast. That five-year period was torturous for me.
I'm in the same situation as you. I've already looked at numbers, so continuing to look at numbers doesn't do anything. There's no magic bullet that's all of a sudden going to change the way you see things. It's time. Nothing else than time. I'm on the latter half of the time scale... less time to live than I've already had, so I'm trying to focus on what time I have left. Try to live each day to the fullest and ignore work. You can try to make each day meaningful, but work is work--nothing else to do about it.
kenai

Post by kenai »

uthendo wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:12 am
nepats wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:56 am
I'm in the same situation as you. I've already looked at numbers, so continuing to look at numbers doesn't do anything. There's no magic bullet that's all of a sudden going to change the way you see things. It's time. Nothing else than time. I'm on the latter half of the time scale... less time to live than I've already had, so I'm trying to focus on what time I have left. Try to live each day to the fullest and ignore work. You can try to make each day meaningful, but work is work--nothing else to do about it.
Yea, there was no magic bullet for me. Just brute forced it through those remaining years. Though I tried to avoid working overtime and left work at the office as much as I could. I took all my vacation days and tried hard not to think about work on my time off. While on vacation or even on the weekends, I’d give myself anxiety counting down the days/hours until I had to return back to work. Looking back, it really was a slog. Glad that is all behind me.
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

bradinsky wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:29 am Meanwhile, there’s talk about raising the retirement age. For many, that is their only viable option to fund retirement.
Their only viable option? I don't agree

I've saved enough to retire and I never really earned more than the median income (at least until last 2 years)

Of course I ride a bike to work and don't have any expensive addictions(shopping,cars, drinking, going out or a house I can't afford)

Life is full of choices
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

Johm221122 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:32 am
bradinsky wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:29 am Meanwhile, there’s talk about raising the retirement age. For many, that is their only viable option to fund retirement.

I've saved enough to retire and I never really earned more than the median income (at least until last 2 years)

Of course I ride a bike to work and don't have any expensive addictions(shopping,cars, drinking, going out or a house I can't afford)

Life is full of choices
Most certainly! There are also many in this country that do earn below, and some well below, median income. That typically isn’t the <1% of the population that frequents bogleheads. Some of the choices you made are very difficult for those I refer to.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

bradinsky wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:13 pm
Johm221122 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:32 am

Life is full of choices
Most certainly! There are also many in this country that do earn below, and some well below, median income. That typically isn’t the <1% of the population that frequents bogleheads. Some of the choices you made are very difficult for those I refer to.
But unless they were disabled, most of those people made choices... Many could have paid more attention in school, sought out additional training/skills, sought ways to increase their income. Choosing not to do those things is a choice...

I say this as someone with a sibling that's probably in the < 1% of the population you are referring to. They have been perpetually under (or un) employed. Not sure if they've ever worked a "full time" job in their life. As far as I know, after their divorce, they've burned through every cent of their half of the "retirement savings". They also spend any child support money mostly on themselves (which ends soon as they kids are nearly out of school). The choices they've made throughout their life will most likely result in them never being able to retire (or they'll end up on public assistance). But that's just it, they were their choices...
Atomsplitter

Post by Atomsplitter »

gunny2 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:21 pm I think it's kind of like being a senior in college and kids get "senioritis"...being so close and yet so far it gets harder to stay focused and remember you haven't crossed the finish line yet! I can't retire early; I'm targeting 65 and IMO rightfully so. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has gone through this and if it got worse as you got closer.
Talk you down? As far as I can see its pretty dam crowded out here on the ledge! I have had the numbers dancing thru my head like sugar plum faries for years, and just passed the all-important 59.5th birthday! Now each day I haul out of bed and make it in to work is kind of like a personal best. You know new a record numbers of day I went to work when could have stopped! I am pacing myself and waiting that bell to ring letting me know I am on last lap, just not sure yet when it will ring. I feel good that I am in control of ringing it but still feel weird thinking that the "next" phase is here and I just have to step on board. I don't know about you but I wouldn't mind one more shot at that senior year too!
:sharebeer
Last edited by Atomsplitter on Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

I retired at 61 and couldn't wait to get out. Relax, breathe try not go nuts...realize the end is near. Life has a way of picking up speed.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
baldtaxguy

Post by baldtaxguy »

My goal is to retire at age 62 and just a few weeks ago I selected a retirement date and downloaded the countdown app - 1 year and 17 days - I'll be 62 and 10 months. Check.

Until I came up with the date, it had not been real to me, but it is now kicking in, and in a good way.
Sax32

Post by Sax32 »

Me personally, I'm getting excited for my next adventure after I achieve pension status with the University I've worked at for 18 years. I'm currently 53 and the end game at this job is to put in 25 years and in the meantime startup my next career business which I hope to run until the day I die. I don't ever plan on retiring, I want the flexibility of controlling my own freedom, while piling up investments and donate a ton of money for causes I feel are worthy.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

gunny2 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:54 pm
peterw wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:37 pm At work, stop caring too much about things,

Leave the office at the office mentallly.
I promise you that neither of these things are an issue. :) I stopped giving a flip years ago and when I'm not on the clock, my company/job isn't on my mind in the tiniest. When I leave this company whether it's for retirement or otherwise, the only reason I would care even a little if it went under is because I've worked with some nice people who I wouldn't want to see be put in that position.
Maybe the advise then is the OPPOSITE of what was stated above. Maybe because you checked out and don't care anymore you don't want to be working anymore.
Maybe you should care more about your job and your contribution to your company and to society. Find pride in your work and your contributions. If you do so you might find yourself more engaged and more driven to continue to succeed at your job versus watching the hours, days and years tick by until you can retire.
It's hard to get more specific because I don't know what you are doing for a living - but take a pause and consider that maybe caring MORE versus caring LESS will give you a better attitude and mindset to continue forward.
Last edited by SmileyFace on Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

I have a retirement countdown app with my DW and myself for the end of 2026. Occasionally I look at it. I have a relative who retired a few years ago and he said same thing everybody else is here saying. You get 2-3 years away and it just becomes a grind, though I would think the last year in some ways should be the easiest knowing that you can actually see the end in site.
Personally, I plan on working part-time for about 3-4 years afterwards because I like what I do. I'm just tired of the "having to hustle" end of the business. But I hope we have enough so I can work because I want to not, not because I have to.
Last edited by ROIGuy on Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

I was ready to go when we returned from a trip to Italy in 2019, I was 61 and we had enough ($ and patience).
Then the pandamic hit.
I've been WFH, with only 4 days in office a month. Saved a ton. Made a lot. Banked insurance costs excerta!

Leaving at the end of this month as I just turned 65.

Some tips (as other mentioned) learning things (I picked up conversational French and German), took some college classes on line with Big State U, exercised and really kept up with medical appointments.

All good and now that we can move around, I'm ready to roll.
celia

Post by celia »

gunny2 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:21 pm I'm targeting 65 and IMO rightfully so. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has gone through this and if it got worse as you got closer.
Here's what the over-60s should be thinking about:
Do you know yet if you will need to do Roth conversions so your future RMDs won't push you into higher tax brackets? (Remember that your current tax-deferred accounts will continue to grow between now and when your RMDs start. And then, the accounts will still keep growing as long as the yearly growth is more than the yearly withdrawals.)

If Roth conversions are needed, how much should you target for yearly Roth conversions?

Since the tax brackets are scheduled to revert to higher amounts in 2026, how much should you convert this year and next?

If all of this looks hopeless, why are you still contributing to tax-deferred accounts and making it worse?
:oops:

P.S. We started converting before 60 and although it felt horrible at the time to pay the taxes, we're glad we did. During our 60's we even inherited a tIRA that needed yearly RMDs and took up space in our tax brackets that I would have preferred to use on our own conversions instead. (Inherited IRAs aren't eligible for conversions.)
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.
djplourd59

Post by djplourd59 »

I'll be 60 in July. I really wanted to retire at 62, but I also want to pay the house off before retirement. I just can't get there at 62 (about 3 years short). The only reason for 62 is that's when I'll be eligible for my FERS pension.

Now my plan is to retire in January 2030 at roughly 65 1/2. I don't plan to take SS before 67 and will probably wait until 70.
Taz

Post by Taz »

You've probably done this (or at least have got it in your head) - but write out a plan with what you want to have accomplished before you can/want to retire. This will give you the big picture. Do you need/want a paid off house or do you need a down payment. Rough budget with including health care costs before and after 65. Add in various income flows and what ifs at certain ages.

I guess what I'm saying, is figure out your goals, resources. Create an operational plan with "what if" branches and options. Yeah, you'll still think of retirement, but this might reduce some of the restlessness as you see the plan in action. A "warm and fuzzy" as we used to say.

For me this included a detailed dashboard style spreadsheet that included what we had available before 62, at 62 (such as a small fed pension, or maybe SS at 62 for one of us), SS at FRA or 70. Estimate what investment withdrawals are needed or desired at those critical points. I'm married so we needed to know what happens to income streams if one of us dies.
The destination matters. | "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't don't stop and look around once in a while - you could miss it." -- Ferris Bueller