Tax Deduction Medical Transport

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Mr. Rumples

Tax Deduction Medical Transport

Post by Mr. Rumples »

I'm reaching the point where I can't drive more than a few miles due to some feet issues. Some of my providers are a bit further away than that. I can use an Uber/taxi or I can use a medical transport. Can I deduct the cost of the taxi to the physicians or should I use the medical transport? I would assume the receipt on the medical transport would suffice for proof. Or would a printed (do they even do this?) taxi receipt and doctor's receipt do the same?
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
terran

Re: Tax Deduction Medical Transport

Post by terran »

According to Publication 502 "transportation primarily for, and essential to, medical care" is a deductible medical expense, so either option would be fine. I would use whichever option best meets your desired affordability and convenience. It sounds like you're probably familiar with claiming medical expenses, but just in case, like with all medical expenses this will only be deductible if you itemize and if your total medical expenses exceed 7.5% of your AGI.
Topic Author
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

terran wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:17 am According to Publication 502 "transportation primarily for, and essential to, medical care" is a deductible medical expense, so either option would be fine. I would use whichever option best meets your desired affordability and convenience. It sounds like you're probably familiar with claiming medical expenses, but just in case, like with all medical expenses this will only be deductible if you itemize and if your total medical expenses exceed 7.5% of your AGI.
I like to be extra careful with this stuff. Yes, each year I have enough to deduct; what enables that are the dental expenses. If I enter a CCRC this year (waiting for a unit) that would increase even more the deduction.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Define what you mean by medical transport. Ambulance services which might transport people in wheelchairs, or something else.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.