Password recovery from Facebook

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
anoop

Password recovery from Facebook

Post by anoop »

Why am I getting a password recovery message with a code in it from Facebook when I don't have an account?

The message is looks legitimate and there's even a "Let us know if you didn't request it" button.

But shouldn't Facebook know to not sent the message since there is no account for the given email address?
otinkyad

Re: Password recovery from Facebook

Post by otinkyad »

Impossible to tell without seeing it, of course. Does your email client think it’s legit (you can usually find that out in the details somewhere)?

Typos on the forgotten password form are possible. There’s a woman roaming the world with a first initial and last name that match my wife’s first name, and she enters my wife’s email address in various places, so we get occasional updates on her activities (forgotten passwords, shopping receipts, memberships, and so on).
Last edited by otinkyad on Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

A third person may be attempting to hack into your account. I would log into my account and change my password post haste. I would not do so through embedded links in the email.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

anoop wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:17 am Why am I getting a password recovery message with a code in it from Facebook when I don't have an account?
Possible phishing attempt, don't click any links or respond to it. Agree it may have been generated with a email typo too.