What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
daleddm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by daleddm »

jjunk wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:49 am
tooluser wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:28 pm
I worked in a theater in the Carolinas when this came out and Tom and Nicole both came to opening night because they were filming Days of Thunder locally. It was crazy busy and because it used true 24mm film (which is huge) we had to do an extra showing that night. It required me to walk across the rafters of the theater to move the film across to another projector while it was playing in their theater. Funny but amazing night. Cruise was way shorter than I expected and Kidman was way taller :happy
Not many of us left that ran side by side projectors. I did that at a post theater in the army - even had the rods that you fed in that created the light by burning theme electrically (poor description) ... watching for the cue dots, trying to nail the synching - fun! Even at the time (mid-70's) there probably weren't that many places running those. Ahhh, Cinema Paradiso.
daleddm

Post by daleddm »

The Holdovers

Watched "The Holdovers" on a plane very recently. A dark humor permeates, yet (eventually) with moments of such sweetness you're just speechless. And it's a great period piece (mid '60's - hey, I remember those cars!).

If you're a Paul Giamatti fan, you won't be disappointed. Not that it matters, but he probably should have won the Oscar, but the film had a much lower potential audience than Oppenheimer.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:19 pm
Nicolas wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:17 pm
gunny2 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:18 am
roamingzebra wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:11 am
gunny2 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:18 pm
Those movies are all hailed as so great, but tbh none of them did a lot for me. Maybe the hype pushed expectations too high?
For me, it's the production quality of 1930s-1950s films that puts me off. I haven't seen any of the above films for that reason.
That plus on the whole, acting and directing wasn't as polished as it is now...but I always try to take that into account with older movies. There are old movies I thought were truly great, like Casablanca...but with those three, I came away not getting the praise.
Why would you be getting the praise? You’d be giving it wouldn’t you?
I think gunny2 meant something like “I came away not understanding the praise those films had received.”
Okay I won't take this any more off topic, but I found this whole exchange hilarious and can't stop laughing. :D

gunny2, I'll give you some praise. :D

Nicolas - turn off your Doors music and have a cup of your caffeinated beverage of choice. :sharebeer

All in fun. :)
retireIn2020

Post by retireIn2020 »

Mending the line on Netflix.

Pro's; Drama, Deep, good acting.
Con's; attempts to recreate experience found in the fly-fishing movie A River Runs Through it (my opinion).

Overall worth watching, I'd give it close to 4 stars.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/abide
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

roamingzebra wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:57 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:19 pm
Nicolas wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:17 pm
gunny2 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:18 am
roamingzebra wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:11 am

For me, it's the production quality of 1930s-1950s films that puts me off. I haven't seen any of the above films for that reason.
That plus on the whole, acting and directing wasn't as polished as it is now...but I always try to take that into account with older movies. There are old movies I thought were truly great, like Casablanca...but with those three, I came away not getting the praise.
Why would you be getting the praise? You’d be giving it wouldn’t you?
I think gunny2 meant something like “I came away not understanding the praise those films had received.”
Okay I won't take this any more off topic, but I found this whole exchange hilarious and can't stop laughing. :D

gunny2, I'll give you some praise. :D

Nicolas - turn off your Doors music and have a cup of your caffeinated beverage of choice. :sharebeer

All in fun. :)
:D :D :sharebeer :D :D
Eschew verbosity and shun obfuscation.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

heartwood wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:53 pm
vnatale wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:04 pm Tonight tried watching:

Road Warrior 2049

But did not finish.

Way too difficult to follow and way too much talking!
Would you check the title or tell us where you watched it?

Google didn't find Road Warrior 2049

Thanks
Sorry!

I can be TERRIBLE with movie titles.

It was Blade Runner 2049

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1856101/

Blade Runner 2049
R
2h 44m
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

jginseattle wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 am A special IMAX presentation of Ex Machina (2014).

Recommended.
I watched the trailer of it the other night and thought it was not for me.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

vnatale wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:02 pm
jginseattle wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 am A special IMAX presentation of Ex Machina (2014).

Recommended.
I watched the trailer of it the other night and thought it was not for me.
It's not for everybody. I found it to be an excellent sci-fi/thriller. :)
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

Horrible Bosses 1 & 2 on HBO. Just rewatched them for something funny to watch. The first movie was way better than the sedond but I got a laugh out of both.

Just saw Godzilla x Kong in the theater in 3D. I enjoyed it but I'd say it was definitely for kaiju fans. The movie is a visual experience if nothing else although very heavy on CGI and odd drone like sequences. I liked it though.
PhoebeCoco

Post by PhoebeCoco »

The Miracle Club - with Maggie Smith, Laura Linney, Kathy Bates. The 3 stars play Irish women who travel to Lourdes hoping for a miracle. Lots of sniping at each other in bad Irish accents about things that happened 40 years before. Depressing. Not recommended.
jryan

Post by jryan »

daleddm wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 am Not many of us left that ran side by side projectors. I did that at a post theater in the army - even had the rods that you fed in that created the light by burning theme electrically (poor description) ... watching for the cue dots, trying to nail the synching - fun! Even at the time (mid-70's) there probably weren't that many places running those. Ahhh, Cinema Paradiso.
I assume that daleddm is referring to projectors that use a carbon arc for the light source.

John Gilbert has a YouTube video demonstrating how movies were projected back in the day.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Easter Parade (1948)

Judy Garland and Fred Astaire song and dance classic. Great colors!

Spoiler (highlight text to see):
I find the ending a bit traumatic. In the final big number, Garland sings the song "Easter Parade" to Astaire. During the part of the song with the lyrics "In your Easter bonnet, with all the frills upon it, you'll be the grandest fellow in the Easter parade", Garland proceeds to remove all the frills from Astaire's bonnet (a top hat with ribbons and bows wrapped around it). This action quashes all hope that Astaire could actually attain the lofty goal of being "Grandest Fellow", a commentary on the human condition that nearly brought me to tears. And happy April Fools Day.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
KBR

Post by KBR »

daleddm wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 am The Holdovers

Watched "The Holdovers" on a plane very recently. A dark humor permeates, yet (eventually) with moments of such sweetness you're just speechless. And it's a great period piece (mid '60's - hey, I remember those cars!).

If you're a Paul Giamatti fan, you won't be disappointed. Not that it matters, but he probably should have won the Oscar, but the film had a much lower potential audience than Oppenheimer.
I enjoyed watching it throughout, but kept on, waiting for a meaningful payoff. Then the movie ended. And there really was no payoff at all. If you are looking for a film like the dead poets Society or scent of a woman, I think you would be better off just watching ceither of those two movies, both of which were superior.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

The Robe (1953)

Great classic film from the era of over-the-top
technicolor and billed as "The first motion picture
in Cinemascope."
Many well known actors such as Jean Simmons,
Richard Burton, Dean Jagger, and Victor Mature
are in this movie along with lots of familiar character
actors.
Viewed on TCM
gunny2

Post by gunny2 »

61 - About the year Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris were both chasing Babe Ruth's record of 60 home runs in a season. Really well done IMO. I like this as much for what it wasn't than what it was. It wasn't over the top, it didn't engage in silly stereotypes as movies often do. Directed by Billy Crystal. I'm not even a huge baseball fan and liked it, so if you're into baseball, recommended (actually recommended anyway).
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

gunny2 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:09 pm 61 - About the year Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris were both chasing Babe Ruth's record of 60 home runs in a season. Really well done IMO. I like this as much for what it wasn't than what it was. It wasn't over the top, it didn't engage in silly stereotypes as movies often do. Directed by Billy Crystal. I'm not even a huge baseball fan and liked it, so if you're into baseball, recommended (actually recommended anyway).
I'm a HUGE Yankees Fan. Mickey Mantle was my idol. 1961 was my first season following baseball / Yankees. Great introduction.

Thought I'd watch the movie over and over and over. However, thought it was vastly subpar. Barely made it through watching it once. Bought it to watch again but have not been sufficiently motivated to watch it again.

Finally, Billy Crystal touted the movie as being scrupulously researched. However, as noted here there were not a few errors in his movie.

https://www.moviemistakes.com/film1517

I may be biased against Crystal as he's portrayed himself as a Yankees / Mantle fan but I've never forgiven him for wearing a New York Mets hat in a movie.

The only way you are going to get me to wearing any other baseball team's hat (particularly the Red Sox and Mets!) is if I am dead!

The Ken Burns's Baseball documentary was even worse. It was absolutely littered with errors. But I don't like that series for many other reasons.

The Major League movies were quite amusing and entertaining. They had actual baseball scenes in them and were not pretentious productions.
gunny2

Post by gunny2 »

vnatale wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:38 pm
gunny2 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:09 pm 61 - About the year Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris were both chasing Babe Ruth's record of 60 home runs in a season. Really well done IMO. I like this as much for what it wasn't than what it was. It wasn't over the top, it didn't engage in silly stereotypes as movies often do. Directed by Billy Crystal. I'm not even a huge baseball fan and liked it, so if you're into baseball, recommended (actually recommended anyway).
I'm a HUGE Yankees Fan. Mickey Mantle was my idol. 1961 was my first season following baseball / Yankees. Great introduction.

Thought I'd watch the movie over and over and over. However, thought it was vastly subpar. Barely made it through watching it once. Bought it to watch again but have not been sufficiently motivated to watch it again.
No big, we'll agree to disagree. The Major League movies were fun but silly comedies, whereas this was a drama. Apples and oranges...

And I'll forgive you for being a Yankees fan. ;)
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Love Lies Bleeding. Directed by Rose Glass. It stars Kristen Stewart and Katy M. O'Brian.

Things go from bad to worse in this well-acted new crime thriller. I enjoyed it, but it's definitely not for everybody.

In theaters now.
AlohaBill

Post by AlohaBill »

We just watched a rather melancholy Irish love story. It was totally different from our usual fare. It was definitely not an American style show. Oh yeah, it was titled: My Sailor, My Love.
gunny2

Post by gunny2 »

Puss n Boots. A rare animated film not by Pixar which is good.
Circe

Post by Circe »

News was too depressing tonight, so I turned to TCM. Annie Hall was on. It has some good laughs.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

DW & I just watched The Boys in the Boat.

We both enjoyed it, having read the book as well.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
gunny2

Post by gunny2 »

Circe wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:57 pm News was too depressing tonight, so I turned to TCM. Annie Hall was on. It has some good laughs.
I suggest a heavy dose of Pixar. :)
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

vnatale wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:38 pm

Finally, Billy Crystal touted the movie as being scrupulously researched. However, as noted here there were not a few errors in his movie.

https://www.moviemistakes.com/film1517

I may be biased against Crystal as he's portrayed himself as a Yankees / Mantle fan but I've never forgiven him for wearing a New York Mets hat in a movie.

The only way you are going to get me to wearing any other baseball team's hat (particularly the Red Sox and Mets!) is if I am dead!

The Ken Burns's Baseball documentary was even worse. It was absolutely littered with errors. But I don't like that series for many other reasons.

The Major League movies were quite amusing and entertaining. They had actual baseball scenes in them and were not pretentious productions.
I thought Major League was hilarious. Recently saw a framed display related to Major League for sale. The frame was about 2' X 3', and contained a large photo of Charlie Sheen playing Ricky "Wild Thing" Vaughn. In the photo, he's in his team uniform with the black glasses etc. It was signed by Charlie Sheen, but he signed it "Ricky Vaughn". It also contained a certificate of authenticity. Thought it was pretty funny that he signed it "Ricky Vaughn." :D I was interested in buying it. Thought it would make a cool
conversation piece, but at $1000 I passed.

Added: Forgot to mention that it had a signed jersey also.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Lords of Dogtown -PlutoTV

I have seen all the documentaries. But I’ve never see this movie. I was better than I expected.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

jginseattle wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:35 pm Love Lies Bleeding. Directed by Rose Glass. It stars Kristen Stewart and Katy M. O'Brian.

Things go from bad to worse in this well-acted new crime thriller. I enjoyed it, but it's definitely not for everybody.

In theaters now.
Never heard of that movie. But recognized its title as title of this song:

https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/r ... ORM=VRDGAR

Elton John - Love Lies Bleeding, 1973

Was this song in it?

On of my favorite Elton John songs. It also has one of the all-time greatest guitar solos in it. And, Elton John's always great piano playing.

Just came across this live version of it which is way better than the recorded version:

https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/r ... ORM=VRDGAR
Elton John - Funeral For A Friend / Love Lies Bleeding (Live At Madison Square Garden)

If this was from 2018 ... Elton John still had it as recently as 6 years ago.

I saw him once (1971) and it was just him and a drummer since the guitarist was sick. But it was still an unbelievable show.

To bring it back to movies.

A few years ago I saw the Elton John movie and thought it was excellent. It moved me so much that as soon as it was over I went to this computer to buy 5 to 7 books about Elton John! Highly recommend that movie if you like Elton John.

I'm not a huge Elton John, meaning that I like a lot of what he does. But I love quite a few of his songs.

[Unnecessary comment removed by admin LadyGeek]
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

jginseattle wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:35 pm Love Lies Bleeding. Directed by Rose Glass. It stars Kristen Stewart and Katy M. O'Brian.

In theaters now.
I'm really looking forward to seeing this but no AMC is showing it on the eastside. Glad to hear you liked it, we seem to share similar tastes from your previous reviews.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Amazon Prime

Grade: A

It so grabbed me that I needed more of it. So bought the Ann Rule book about it.

The Hunt For The I-5 Killer

From Ann Rule's book and starring John Corbett and Sara Canning, this Lifetime Original Movie is based on the haunting true story of the year-long manhunt for a killer.
IMDb 5.9
1 h 29 min
16+
Action
·
Suspense
·
Drama
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

The Royal Hotel on Hulu. I really like Julia Garner but this movie was one of the more boring "thrillers" that I've seen. It was very predictable all the way through and just not good. It's a shame because between Garner and Hugo Weaving, they wasted a lot of talent.

Wish on Disney+. There's a reason this didnt last long in theaters, its simply not good. The songs (aside from one) are all bad, the animation is interesting but nothing new and the story is just odd. We kept hoping it would get better and it never did. Not recommended.
gunny2

Post by gunny2 »

The Irishman. Typical DeNiro/Scorsese mobster movie...I got about half-way through this really, really long movie and stopped. Not because it was bad per se, but because I've had enough of typical DeNiro/Scorsese mobster movies. Psycho thugs beat up/kill each other, mafia, Jimmy Hoffa, yada yada. Also I think Pacino and Romano were bad casting choices, and I'm a fan of both.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

Monkey Man in the theater. Dev Patel directs and stars in this incredibly violent but interesting revenge story set in India. Bollywood cinema this is not. The fight sequences are well choreographed and intense, not to mention bloody. The acting is very good all around. The story is fine if not a little too long winded. Overall I liked it, the ending was incredible and is probably worth watching the movie for on its own. I'd liken it to John Wick films but there is less gunplay and the protagonist is no where near as lethal.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

"The Greatest Night In Pop" streaming on Netflix. Wow, this was really enjoyable! The song that is the topic of this film came out when I was pretty young (9 years old) and it was a huge deal back then. I highly recommend this documentary.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Mortal Engines on Netflix, rated PG-13, 2018, action / adventure / fantasy. In a post-apocalyptic world where cities ride on wheels and consume each other to survive, two people meet in London and try to stop a conspiracy.

If you like non-stop action with high quality production effects and a trivial plot, this is the movie for you. It looked great with my Netflix premium subscription in 4 k high def. Otherwise, meh.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Blues Brothers, on Amazon Prime.

This is a unique comedy/musical starring John Belushi and Dan Akroyd. It's fun picking out the famous persons in supporting roles and bit parts.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ruralavalon wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:55 am The Blues Brothers, on Amazon Prime.
Which had the larger cast: The Blues Brothers or It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World?

Not a rick question -- I really don't know.

I think Mad World may have had more named stars but, when extras are counted, Blues may win out. Think Nazis, police ("Hut, hut, hut"), concert audience, dancing in the street.

Is there a movie with a larger cast? Perhaps some epic from the 1950s.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Wicked Little Letters.

An epidemic of poison-pen letters becomes a public scandal in a quiet English village during the 1920s. The movie is played for laughs, but is based on a true story. It's very entertaining. Olivia Colman and Jessie Buckley are excellent.

In theaters now.
gunny2

Post by gunny2 »

There's Something About Mary - Comedy starring Ben Stiller etc. I heard great things about this movie and it had its moments, but just couldn't get into it. I quit well before it was over.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

I enjoyed "21 Bridges" starring Chadwick Boseman.
It reminded me of an Anton Fuqua movie.
Rotten Tomatoes: 54% 91%
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/21_bridges

Andre Davis: "We got twenty-one bridges in and out of Manhattan. Shut them down. Three rivers. Close them. Four tunnels. Block them. Stop every train and loop the subways. Then, we flood the island with blue."

Available on Netflix or sometimes on TBS.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Argylle on AppleTV, rated PG-13, action / comedy / thriller. A reclusive author who writes espionage novels about a secret agent and a global spy syndicate realizes the plot of the new book she's writing starts to mirror real-world events, in real time.

Fun, good stunts, and fast-paced, but that's about it. Meh.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username »

A few nights ago, I watched The Beekeeper. I didn't know anything going in except it's an action movie starring Jason Statham, and that was good enough to get me to watch it. I'm glad I did; very fun movie if you're into mayhem action movies.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.
PinotGris

Post by PinotGris »

Miranda's Victim. Very well done movie based on a true story that led to the Miranda Rights. I can watch Kanopy through my library subscription, so no cost. They have a an excellent selection of movies and documentaries. I also watched Moonstruck and enjoyed it again!
id0ntkn0wjack

Post by id0ntkn0wjack »

I generally have great admiration for Olivia Coleman, but Joyride was gawdawful.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13515090/
I moved 10% of my equities into BLV (Vanguard Long Term Bond ETF) in January 2021. Follow my advice at your own peril.
timwashu

Post by timwashu »

recently watched Wild Things with Matt Dillion, Kevin Bacon. Not the best acting, but the sheer number of plot twists were amazing.
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

"Beethoven," "Beethoven's 2nd," "Beethoven's 3rd," "Beethoven's 4th," "Beethoven's 5th," "Beethoven's Big Break," "Beethoven's Christmas Adventure," and "Beethoven's Treasure Trail."
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Oppenheimer. Didn’t like it.

Barbie. Thought it was enjoyable. Much better movie than Oppenheimer.

Love Actually. Lots of big-name actors in it, but could only get about 45 minutes into it before giving up on it.

Mission Impossible, Dead Reckoning, Part One. Liked the acting, but the movie seemed to get increasingly unrealistic as it progressed.

120 Beats Per Minute. Thought it would be interesting, but gave up on it about an hour in. It being in French probably didn’t help.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. The book is far better than the movie, but Oprah does a decent acting job.

All watched on several long-haul flights.

The Departed. Features Jack Nicholson, Leonardo DiCaprio, Martin Sheen, Mark Walhberg, and Matt Damon. Fantastic acting. Saw on AppleTv+.
Most experiences are better imagined.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

ruralavalon wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:55 am The Blues Brothers, on Amazon Prime.

This is a unique comedy/musical starring John Belushi and Dan Akroyd. It's fun picking out the famous persons in supporting roles and bit parts.
The Hall-of-Fame musical cameos are the stuff of dreams.
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

tooluser wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:59 am Easter Parade (1948)

Judy Garland and Fred Astaire song and dance classic. Great colors!

Spoiler (highlight text to see):
I find the ending a bit traumatic. In the final big number, Garland sings the song "Easter Parade" to Astaire. During the part of the song with the lyrics "In your Easter bonnet, with all the frills upon it, you'll be the grandest fellow in the Easter parade", Garland proceeds to remove all the frills from Astaire's bonnet (a top hat with ribbons and bows wrapped around it). This action quashes all hope that Astaire could actually attain the lofty goal of being "Grandest Fellow", a commentary on the human condition that nearly brought me to tears. And happy April Fools Day.
Interesting...if you change the color (to white?) the text doesn't show unless you highlight it. Invisible ink!!
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

tenkuky wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:00 pm

The Hall-of-Fame musical cameos are the stuff of dreams.
Classic lines....a wish biscuit (I think that's it). And "what did I say to p--- you of THIS time, bayyyyybeeeee?" Great music, too.
KBR

Post by KBR »

mikejuss wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:42 am "Beethoven," "Beethoven's 2nd," "Beethoven's 3rd," "Beethoven's 4th," "Beethoven's 5th," "Beethoven's Big Break," "Beethoven's Christmas Adventure," and "Beethoven's Treasure Trail."
Sounds like you really love classical music.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Random Poster wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:37 pm Oppenheimer. Didn’t like it.

Barbie. Thought it was enjoyable. Much better movie than Oppenheimer.

Love Actually. Lots of big-name actors in it, but could only get about 45 minutes into it before giving up on it.

Mission Impossible, Dead Reckoning, Part One. Liked the acting, but the movie seemed to get increasingly unrealistic as it progressed.

120 Beats Per Minute. Thought it would be interesting, but gave up on it about an hour in. It being in French probably didn’t help.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. The book is far better than the movie, but Oprah does a decent acting job.

All watched on several long-haul flights.

The Departed. Features Jack Nicholson, Leonardo DiCaprio, Martin Sheen, Mark Walhberg, and Matt Damon. Fantastic acting. Saw on AppleTv+.

Wow. Liked Barbie and not Oppenheimer? I couldn't stand Barbie and thought Oppenheimer was fantastic, and Cillian Murphy was tremendous.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.