Negotiating with Neighbor on a Fence

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
catchinup

Re: Negotiating with Neighbor on a Fence

Post by catchinup »

pshonore wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:03 pm
vnatale wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:54 pm I have concrete block basement foundation. But I do not believe I have ever knowingly seen a concrete block wall.

Is it possible to supply a URL of a generic one so I can see what one looks like? What I presently have in my mind is not a pretty sight! I could not imagine having one between mine and my neighbor's property.
Its quite common to put a skim coat of concrete on a block wall which can be painted or left natural to improve the look and also on foundation concrete walls for that matter
Thanks, this occurred to me the other day!
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Shackleton wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:39 pm
vnatale wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:54 pm I have concrete block basement foundation. But I do not believe I have ever knowingly seen a concrete block wall.

Is it possible to supply a URL of a generic one so I can see what one looks like? What I presently have in my mind is not a pretty sight! I could not imagine having one between mine and my neighbor's property.
It’s very common in the desert SW (UT, NM, AZ, parts of SW CO). Here’s an example I found on Zillow: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3412 ... e=txtshare
Am I correct in thinking that I don't believe I've seen anything similar in New England.

I also looked at the pictures of the house. It left me feeling like the house was sterile with no personality.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Circe wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:41 pm When I bought my property, I had a survey done -- it's required for title insurance. Both are also required if one purchases with a mortgage. Surveys done before about 1960 have stone markers. Newer ones have iron spikes in the ground in the corners that can be found with a metal detector. The surveyor also leaves a pin with a little orange flag, but those don't last long.

I split the cost of removing a tree with my neighbor and also put up a fence. In both cases, I got an invoice for my portion of the tree and fence and paid the contractors directly. I think that's best.

We have to install boundary fences with 3" of clearance from the ground for water drainage. You should check your town's zoning requirements. Fences here can be built within 1" of the boundary, driveways 3' and houses 10'.
I bought my house April 30, 1982. I think it was built somewhere between 1945 - 1955. In the Northeast and Southeast corners of the property there are pipes fully several inches out of the ground. The Southwest corner has a prominent stone in the ground. Nothing in the Northwest corner.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

boomer_techie wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:49 pm
catchinup wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:05 pm If a survey was done previously, you think there should be other markers, aside from the obvious one in the sidewalk? I'm not even sure what they would look like in the back of the property.
All the markers in my neighborhood (in California) are pieces of 1/2" galvanized pipe driven approximately flush with the ground surface. The new ones (installed about 20 years ago) are about 18" long. I do not know the length of the old ones (installed, um, wow, 100 years ago). The new ones have/had a yellow plastic plug with a number. I think the old ones used to have redwood plugs with numbers.

Sometimes you'll find a round brass disc maybe 2" in diameter, likely set in concrete, with government writing on it. This is a "monument" defining a point from which other survey points are measured.

Surveyors often drive large nails into the road surface when doing a survey. These are just temporary markers for their own use.
Unless you’re incredibly lucky, It works best if you have access to a metal detector. Many times the pins are driven deeper into the ground & sometimes completely removed by unhappy, miserable property owners. When we had a fence constructed, we needed to locate the lot markers/pins to obtain a permit. I had a decent idea of where they were located, so I borrowed a metal detector & found them easily. In a previous house we owned, the property was irregularly shaped & our next door neighbor frequently moved them to try & enhance the size of his property. One of the rear markers showing our joint property line was in a wooded area. He went out when we weren’t home & pounded the pin into the ground about a foot deep. Impossible to locate at that point.
Topic Author
catchinup

Post by catchinup »

NYCaviator wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:32 am
catchinup wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:52 pm
On the other hand, I have redwood going all the way around. I wanted to replace the fence in this area, but was thinking to replace it with redwood. I could get an entire redwood fence myself for the $4.5k he is asking to do the cinderblock. If we did cinderblock, we would never replace it again, that's true, but I might sell my house anyway in a couple of years so permanent is not really a factor for me.
Unless you have a small yard, $4.5k for a redwood fence on 3 sides seems way too cheap. Have you actually priced it out? We have a small, city yard and did cedar... it cost upwards of $10k. We did use the metal posts for longevity, but that didn't add that much cost. I'd be inclined to get a survey and go half with your neighbor on cinderblock. More privacy, longer lasting, and seems like a good price.
Not all the way around.. What I meant is, for the same amount of money I can get a redwood fence my own.
Topic Author
catchinup

Post by catchinup »

vnatale wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:54 pm
Circe wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:41 pm When I bought my property, I had a survey done -- it's required for title insurance. Both are also required if one purchases with a mortgage. Surveys done before about 1960 have stone markers. Newer ones have iron spikes in the ground in the corners that can be found with a metal detector. The surveyor also leaves a pin with a little orange flag, but those don't last long.

I split the cost of removing a tree with my neighbor and also put up a fence. In both cases, I got an invoice for my portion of the tree and fence and paid the contractors directly. I think that's best.

We have to install boundary fences with 3" of clearance from the ground for water drainage. You should check your town's zoning requirements. Fences here can be built within 1" of the boundary, driveways 3' and houses 10'.
I bought my house April 30, 1982. I think it was built somewhere between 1945 - 1955. In the Northeast and Southeast corners of the property there are pipes fully several inches out of the ground. The Southwest corner has a prominent stone in the ground. Nothing in the Northwest corner.
There is a brass coin in the sidewalk marking the property line, but I don't know if there's a marker in back. I thought my neighbor said he saw a marker in back when I spoke with him yesterday.
Topic Author
catchinup

Post by catchinup »

Just wanted to update this thread. I spoke to my neighbor again yesterday and he is getting a quote for a wood fence and cinder block so we can compare. I expressed my concern about respecting the property line and he is fine with that. He also agreed with me the current fences are a little inside my property line and is willing to move the fence back. So I'm no longer as concerned. Based on the existing sidewalk marker and parcel diagrams online, I have a pretty good idea where the line is. I think he even said he saw a marker in back. Will follow up with what happens.
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

catchinup wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:43 am Just wanted to update this thread. I spoke to my neighbor again yesterday and he is getting a quote for a wood fence and cinder block so we can compare. I expressed my concern about respecting the property line and he is fine with that. He also agreed with me the current fences are a little inside my property line and is willing to move the fence back. So I'm no longer as concerned. Based on the existing sidewalk marker and parcel diagrams online, I have a pretty good idea where the line is. I think he even said he saw a marker in back. Will follow up with what happens.
If I really wanted a wood fence at 4500 and he wanted a block fence at much higher, perhaps offer him to pay half the wood fence price? If he wants to continue with block, offer him half your share of your wood fence price upon job completion. 2250.
Pale Blue Dot
Topic Author
catchinup

Post by catchinup »

4nursebee wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:53 am
catchinup wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:43 am Just wanted to update this thread. I spoke to my neighbor again yesterday and he is getting a quote for a wood fence and cinder block so we can compare. I expressed my concern about respecting the property line and he is fine with that. He also agreed with me the current fences are a little inside my property line and is willing to move the fence back. So I'm no longer as concerned. Based on the existing sidewalk marker and parcel diagrams online, I have a pretty good idea where the line is. I think he even said he saw a marker in back. Will follow up with what happens.
If I really wanted a wood fence at 4500 and he wanted a block fence at much higher, perhaps offer him to pay half the wood fence price? If he wants to continue with block, offer him half your share of your wood fence price upon job completion. 2250.
Yes I could suggest that. Thanks