Just for Historical Fun - Some Early Tax Software from 1990s

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
PGR

Just for Historical Fun - Some Early Tax Software from 1990s

Post by PGR »

This is purely a curiosity thing and of no particular consequence. When going thru and destroying some old tax returns from early 1990s I couldn't tell which tax software might have been used. Depending on the year at the bottom of 1040s I see either "Copyright Forms Software Only, YYYY Nelco, Inc." or "Form Software Copyright YYYY, Bammel Software". But I don't recall either of these names. Google didn't help much.

Nelco is still around - appears to be a forms provider that a retail tax software company(ies) may have used. Bammel may have been the same.

Do either the Nelco or Bammel names tell you anything about what software may have been used to prepare old tax returns in the early to mid 1990s?

Thanks,
livesoft

Re: Just for Historical Fun - Some Early Tax Software from 1990s

Post by livesoft »

Doesn't tell me anything, but maybe a tax or accounting firm prepared the return(s)?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
toddthebod

Post by toddthebod »

PGR wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:40 pm This is purely a curiosity thing and of no particular consequence. When going thru and destroying some old tax returns from early 1990s I couldn't tell which tax software might have been used. Depending on the year at the bottom of 1040s I see either "Copyright Forms Software Only, YYYY Nelco, Inc." or "Form Software Copyright YYYY, Bammel Software". But I don't recall either of these names. Google didn't help much.

Nelco is still around - appears to be a forms provider that a retail tax software company(ies) may have used. Bammel may have been the same.

Do either the Nelco or Bammel names tell you anything about what software may have been used to prepare old tax returns in the early to mid 1990s?

Thanks,
Guy named Stanley Bammel in Duncanville, Texas, published a shareware tax program called SHARE-TAX/1040 in the 1990s.

Nelco is a forms provider that contracts with Drake among other widely-used professional programs. Not enough info to tell.
MadHungarian

Post by MadHungarian »

I've been using Turbotax since 1994 or earlier. Just now looked in an old bankers box of ancient tax returns, and i had the floppies(!) for Turbotax 94 stuffed in the manila folder.
I don't think they had online updates back then, unless they were available on a dial-up bbs or something.

(I still had the Turbotax 94 binaries buried way down in an archived subdir on my PC. Tried running the TTAXWN94.EXE just now but it won't run. That's expected because it would've been a 16-bit Windows app, which won't run on anything past Windows XP, unless you've got Dosbox emulator or something)
Topic Author
PGR

Post by PGR »

OK Thanks

Bammel - now that's interesting. I googled and got some hits on that.

(I do seem to recall some local PC stores sometimes 'sold' shareware they downloaded off CD and copied to floppies)

Nelco was a forms provider to any # of tax software companies it looks like then. I really have no specific recollection on what tax software I may have purchased back in those days. By the late 90s I was purchasing Turbotax locally on floppy.
Topic Author
PGR

Post by PGR »

Oh here's another one I just noticed... "Tax Shop" printed on the bottom of 1040. Anybody recall "Tax Shop"?

I didn't purchase Tax Shop. One year I had to hire a CPA for a very complicated return and that's what he used.
Topic Author
PGR

Post by PGR »

OK I think I've got it figured out. The first year I tried a software solution - it must have been Bammel. It may have been a super cheap or free experiment at tha time. Prior to that my returns were hand written.

That was followed by 4 years of returns all printed with "Nelco" forms. At least one of those years I found a summary sheet by "Personal Tax Edge" which was published by "Parsons Technology" out of Iowa. Googling up Parsons and Tax Edge - I now recognize and remember the Parsons logo. I now do remember that one for those years.

Google/wikipedia indicates they were bought out by Intuit in 94.

I was definitely using Turbo by 97. (probably because they could import data from Tax Edge helped)

I'm going to say that those returns I have with "Nelco" on them were all via Parsons Technology Tax Edge. Though I wouldn't be surprised if other tax software of the era may have also used Nelco forms.

thanks for the clues!