VOO Expense Ratio Gross v Net

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
LCX2000

VOO Expense Ratio Gross v Net

Post by LCX2000 »

A few years back I switched so that new money was going into VOO rather than SPY, due to ER. I've recently noticed that Yahoo Finance has started listing VOO's net ER rather than gross (SPY is still listed as gross). Is this a warning that VOO will stop the waivers and reimbursements in the near future? For years Yahoo Finance has listed VOO's gross of .03. But within the last few months it has started showing net of .14.

I am trying to decide if I should be adding to SPY again, or even more into IVV.

I also just looked to see if Yahoo Finance for some reason it listing Vanguard funds in net, and sure enough they have VTI listed as net. Though its ER is only .04.

Thanks for any insight.
exodusNH

Re: VOO Expense Ratio Gross v Net

Post by exodusNH »

LCX2000 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 am A few years back I switched so that new money was going into VOO rather than SPY, due to ER. I've recently noticed that Yahoo Finance has started listing VOO's net ER rather than gross (SPY is still listed as gross). Is this a warning that VOO will stop the waivers and reimbursements in the near future? For years Yahoo Finance has listed VOO's gross of .03. But within the last few months it has started showing net of .14.

I am trying to decide if I should be adding to SPY again, or even more into IVV.

I also just looked to see if Yahoo Finance for some reason it listing Vanguard funds in net, and sure enough they have VTI listed as net. Though its ER is only .04.

Thanks for any insight.
I'm sure it's a glitch.
Geologist

Post by Geologist »

I wouldn't use Yahoo Finance for something like expense ratio.

You can see its actual expenses at Vanguard at https://investor.vanguard.com/investmen ... rofile/voo

Its expense ratio is 0.03%.

Edit: you can even download the summary or statutory prospectus at Vanguard's website and see that there is no fee waiver.
Topic Author
LCX2000

Post by LCX2000 »

Geologist wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:41 am I wouldn't use Yahoo Finance for something like expense ratio.

You can see its actual expenses at Vanguard at https://investor.vanguard.com/investmen ... rofile/voo

Edit: you can even download the summary or statutory prospectus at Vanguard's website and see that there is no fee waiver.
Agreed. Before I posted I looked at both Vanguard and Morningside, which list it as .03. What made me curious was the (net) denotation. So I started reading about net v gross ER, and wondered if this was a sort of shot over the bow warning.

Hopefully it is indeed a glitch as PP said.
Geologist

Post by Geologist »

LCX2000 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 am
Geologist wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:41 am I wouldn't use Yahoo Finance for something like expense ratio.

Agreed. Before I posted I looked at both Vanguard and Morningside, which list it as .03. What made me curious was the (net) denotation. So I started reading about net v gross ER, and wondered if this was a sort of shot over the bow warning.

Yahoo is almost surely listing net vs. gross for every fund because some funds do have fee waivers so there is a difference. This then carries over to funds that have no difference. Whether Yahoo has a glitch or not is irrelevant. As we have pointed out, Vanguard lists the expense ratio on its website and in its prospectuses (and there is no fee waiver or net/gross distinction), so if Yahoo's expense ratio is different, you can consider it simply wrong.
Topic Author
LCX2000

Post by LCX2000 »

Geologist wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 pm
LCX2000 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 am

Yahoo is almost surely listing net vs. gross for every fund because some funds do have fee waivers so there is a difference. This then carries over to funds that have no difference. Whether Yahoo has a glitch or not is irrelevant. As we have pointed out, Vanguard lists the expense ratio on its website and in its prospectuses (and there is no fee waiver or net/gross distinction), so if Yahoo's expense ratio is different, you can consider it simply wrong.
Good to know. I looked up VTI and it showed the correct .04. Hence, more of my confusion. But sounds like all it good. Thank you.
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

I work in the industry. Where I've worked waivers tended to be more of the structural variety than the "act now while it's on sale!" type.

I wouldn't interpret any waiver as a temporary reprieve of a pending increase. There may be exceptions, especially with the continued expansion of ultra-niche products but for the biggies, I consider net to be what I pay and what I will continue to pay.

A logical question would be "then why do it that way?" And you'd be right to ask it ;-)
yysh

Post by yysh »

I checked on Charles Schwab website yesterday. It's 0.03. Fidelity FXAIX seems to be lowest one 0.015%.

Lynn