Supermarket pizza - any good ones? Any great ones?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jebmke

Re: Supermarket pizza - any good ones? Any great ones?

Post by jebmke »

PeninsulaPerson wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:37 pm

That one is new to me. I am usually not a fan of Detroit-style pizza but I'll give it a try if I can get it easily at Costco.

Thank you!
Always seems to me that one is paying “pizza” price for a lot of bread
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

Post by PeninsulaPerson »

LilyFleur wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:28 pm
I really love the Trader Joe's pizzas.

My current favorite is Tarte D'Alsace, a french style flat bread with crème fraiche, ham, caramelized onions & Swiss-style gruyere cheese. I add artichoke hearts and fold it in half to eat it.

100% agree about TJs.

Would only say their best ones are more the flatbread, like you mentioned.

Their frozen pizzas are sort of so-so, it seemed to me.
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

rich126 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:32 pm
Of the "name" store pizzas I preferred DiGiorno.

One of the pizzas I saw yesterday at the supermarket was (I believe) a DiGiorno with stuffed crust.

OMG, that looked good!

More cheese! In the crust! Brilliant - give whoever came up with that a Nobel prize!
jaMichael

Post by jaMichael »

We buy a bag of fresh pizza dough at Trader Joe’s and make our own in the oven. Not much more work than heating up a frozen pizza and much better.
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

jebmke wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:41 pm

That one is new to me. I am usually not a fan of Detroit-style pizza but I'll give it a try if I can get it easily at Costco.

Thank you!
Always seems to me that one is paying “pizza” price for a lot of bread

Kind of the same with the Greek/Sicilian style pizzas they used to peddle when I was a kid. Crust. Some sauce. No cheese. No extra cheese. No pepperoni. No sausage. No every kind of goodness. (I sound like Ralphie from A Christmas Story ... :).) Not my cuppa' - at all! I like abbondanza!

Tho' the one from Costco does seem better in the toppings/bread ratio.
Last edited by PeninsulaPerson on Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

jaMichael wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:46 pm
We buy a bag of fresh pizza dough at Trader Joe’s and make our own in the oven. Not much more work than heating up a frozen pizza and much better.

How do you get it nice & thin, if I may ask?

I have not been successful at that at all.
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

Sincere thanks to all for these delicious-looking suggestions and ideas!

I will report back as I experiment with the various pizzas and possibilities!
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I had posted this at the gluten free thread before I saw this thread.

I think the Kirkland is excellent even if you don't need gluten free.
heartwood wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:34 am For years our go-to frozen GF pizza has been Freschetta. It comes in margarhita, pepperoni or four cheese. https://www.freschetta.com/collections/ ... luten-free

The crust is rice starches and tapioca. We prefer the four cheese and add our own sausage. It's gotten pricey, currently $16.50 for one in the stores near our condo, with generally very limited availability.

We'd thought we'd tried all the other available brands and in general do not like Cauliflower crusts.

While in Costco I saw the Kirkland Supreme Cauliflower pizza. It was 2 for $11.99. No way to go seriously wrong trying it; two for less than one of the other, and it was available.

It's great! Very generous toppings and excellent taste and texture. The only drawback is the size of the 2-pack double carton makes it harder to fit in the freezer.

https://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/ ... 20606.html

We still like the Freschetta, but the Kirkland is it's equal or better.
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

We like the Costco four pack of pepperoni pizza, thin crust. We add extra toppings like pickles, jalapenos, carrots, artichokes, mushrooms, and cheese in various combinations, and then bake in an oven 50°F hotter than the instructions call for and use a perforated pizza pan.

We may top the hot pie with hot honey, fresh basil, diced lettuce, or even sauerkraut depending on our mood and the base layer of toppings. A soy sauce and peanut butter mixture is especially good on a pizza featuring carrots.
jaMichael

Post by jaMichael »

PeninsulaPerson wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:49 pm

I’m embarrassed to say I don’t worry about thinness. I have read that (1) storing the do in a ball shape rather than the blobby bag shape it comes in will help you make it round and that letting the ball sit on the counter for a couple of hours before use (not in the fridge) will help it relax and make stretching it out easier.
Watty

Post by Watty »

The DiGiorno pepperoni rising crust is passable and I will be fixing one during the game tonight.

We have not liked their other toppings or variations very much.

One thing which has not been mentioned is that at least for thick crust pizza it is possible to buy pizzeria pizza and freeze it yourself. It has been a while but I think that we thawed it out in the refrigerator than heated it in an air fryer.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

PeninsulaPerson wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:44 amDo you know if any of the supermarket pizzas are any good - or even great?
whenever they’re on sale for under $4 they’re really great.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Connie's thin crust is our current fav.
NewishBog

Post by NewishBog »

Aldi refrigerated pizza

Screamin Sicilian

Home Run in third - the crust is weird, but fine

With all the above, add italian seasoning & cheese plus other toppings to your liking
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

jaqenhghar wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:50 am I recently tried Red Barron's supreme and meat trio pizzas. Was very pleasantly surprised. Stuck in the air fryer for a few minutes and it was quite tasty!
+! (pepperoni and sausage, original crust).
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

NewishBog wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:35 pm Aldi refrigerated pizza
Agree that Aldi refrigerated is pretty good, especially for the price.
zie

Post by zie »

nisiprius wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:00 pm
I went to a supermarket and bought: a) frozen pizza dough (supermarket's own brand); b) a jar of prepared pizza sauce (Rao's homemade); c) a jar of mozzarella "pearls;" d) a refrigerated package of pepperoni slices; e) a refrigerated package of Italian sausages. Followed the dough directions, put the other ingredients on top of the dough, and... I couldn't believe it: it turned into a pizza.
This is basically what I do, when I'm too lazy to make my own pizza crust. For pepperoni, I'd suggest wandering over to the deli and asking them to slice pepperoni for you, you can say slice me 4 slices please or whatever # you want. Less leftovers and arguably way better pepperoni that way. The slices are pretty big in diameter compared to the packaged, so you probably only need 3-4 slices per pizza, depending on your sizing. If you want more bite-sized, you can always cut them in half or quarters.
Whether rich or poor, a young woman should know how a bank account works, understand the composition of mortgages and bonds, and know the value of interest and how it accumulates. -Hetty Green
zie

Post by zie »

PeninsulaPerson wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:49 pm

If you have a rolling pin, you can use that. If you don't then any cylindrical object works(the longer the better). I personally use a large glass bottle(Voss brand) which I've had for a very long time now as my rolling pin, since I like multiple-use objects :) Those steel water bottles that are all the rage now probably work great as well. You can even use a glass jar that carries, salsa, pickles, etc, but then you probably have to one-hand your rolling pin. You want a bit of weight in it, so if it's water proof, you might find adding water into the jar really helps. Otherwise you have to push harder. I am lazy and prefer the weight of the object to do the work for me, but if you need an excuse to do some arm exercise, have fun!

As for how, you just put the dough on a flat surface(I use my kitchen counter), then push lightly down with the rolling pin and slowly roll out in any direction. Then rotate the dough or the pin and roll out in some other direction. You do this until you get it mostly into the shape you want and the thickness that you want.

Some dough behaves better with a light dusting of flour if you have any laying around.

Another tip, if you like a crunchier bottom crust, you can use rough ground cornmeal on the pan/stone/etc that you use and put the dough on that before placing the dough and cooking.
Whether rich or poor, a young woman should know how a bank account works, understand the composition of mortgages and bonds, and know the value of interest and how it accumulates. -Hetty Green
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

ALDI refrigerated pizza is one of the best fresh pizzas.

Since I do not have an ALDI store around, I buy large boxes of Boboli Crusts at the Bimbo Bakery Outlet the weeks after Super Bowl (8 9" crusts for $4) and freeze them.

As for frozen pizzas, I am not sure. I like Safeway's Signature Select, Dr Oetker's, and California Pizza Kitchen.

As for selection, no supermarket has the selection that Woodman's (SE Wisconsin and Chicagoland) does.
PharmerBrown

Post by PharmerBrown »

Tony's pepperoni!
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

PeninsulaPerson wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:38 pm
SurferLife wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:10 pm
I think you can really improve any grocery store frozen pizza by adding your own toppings.

That is a good idea - thank you and the others who also suggested adding one's own toppings.
Also adding some fresh mozzarella is good too.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

The pizza rabbit hole!

If I brought a frozen pizza into the house my family would keel over in fear!

Best approach I have found for making your own;

Yeilds on 240 g crust (scale up or down)

Four (bread flour or some good Italian OO) 150 g
Water 90 g (60% hydration)
Yeast 1 1/2 tsp
Salt 2g

Through it in the food processor and form a ball
Do some mild kneading and let it sit covered for sometime (variable and very flexible, 6-8 hours or so) then pop it in the fridge for 8-24 hours
Take it out 3-4 hours before needed
Pre-heat oven to its highest temp with a stone on the rack and the rack in its highest position.
Stretch the dough, let it rest
In the meantime, heat a 10" cast iron pan on the stove top, then put the crust in a lightly oiled pan and dress it as you wish (less is better than more)
Put pan on TOP rack of oven and switch to the highest broiler heat you have on hand.
around 4 minutes and you are done, slide pizza on to cooling rack and let it cool while you are assembling and putting into the oven the next one!

4 custom pizzas can be done in 20 minutes, everyone has it like they want it. The timings are very flexible so you could start a dough on Monday AM and us it for Tuesday night's dinner, less time than stopping at the market
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

runner3081 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:07 pm Signature Select from Safeway/Albertsons/etc., to us, is the winner.
We used to keep one or two of these in the freezer for those occasional nights when our culinary ambitions don't arise beyond frozen pizza. Their rising crust supreme was my favorite. At one point, I compared the Safeway frozen pizza to DiGiorno and Freschetta. I considered it on par with one of those, and better than the other (I don't remember which), and significantly cheaper than either.

Unfortunately, and maybe this is regional if they produce them in multiple locations, Safeway decided to ruin them a few years ago.

Over time, the toppings got progressively fewer and less evenly distributed. When it got to the point where it became necessary to spend 10 minutes prying frozen toppings out of the mound on one side of the pizza to spread them out before cooking, we gave up.

The last few times we did frozen pizza, it was Costco's cauliflower crust pizza. This is a very tasty thin crust supreme. Maybe a little more expensive than I'd like to spend on a frozen pizza, but somehow they nailed the crust texture and flavor.

And with the crust based on cauliflower, it should be healthier, right?

NOPE.

The secret ingredient to make the crust both crispy and chewy and flavorful all at once without flour isn't some magic in the cauliflower. It's cheese.

Don't get me wrong, I like cheese, but you're already getting a sizeable serving of it on top of the pizza. For an equivalent amount of pizza, the Kirkland cauliflower pizza has 10-25% more fat, saturated fat, and sodium compared to a Digiorno thin-crust supreme.

After I compared the nutrition data, I asked my wife to see what other frozen pizza Costco has for the future.

I wish Costco would bring back their supreme at the food court. That was the only one of their takeout pizza's I really thought was worth the calories.
soretired

Post by soretired »

The BEST frozen pizza out there is made by California Pizza Kitchen. We've tried them all and no comparison in flavor.

Just tried a new one, to me, from Tillamook and talk about boring and bland! Yuck.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

soretired wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:30 pm The BEST frozen pizza out there is made by California Pizza Kitchen. We've tried them all and no comparison in flavor.
I like their options, but for just pizza pizza, I actually like Red Baron super supreme.

There are two at Costco that I like best: one is Kirkland, the other is Milton cauliflower crust.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

iamlucky13 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:35 pm
runner3081 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:07 pm Signature Select from Safeway/Albertsons/etc., to us, is the winner.
We used to keep one or two of these in the freezer for those occasional nights when our culinary ambitions don't arise beyond frozen pizza. Their rising crust supreme was my favorite. At one point, I compared the Safeway frozen pizza to DiGiorno and Freschetta. I considered it on par with one of those, and better than the other (I don't remember which), and significantly cheaper than either.

The Signature Select Pizzas at Safeway are occasionally offered at $0.99 or $1.99 on a Safeway for U special. At that price, I can add a few additional ingredients if I need to and still came out ahead.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

Whole Foods pizza is very good and has excellent crust, I recommend the ancient grain option.

It starts at $12 for the large pie, hot out of the oven.
They had $10 large cheese pies every Friday, but that seems to have disappeared after December.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

jlawrence01 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:34 pm

The Signature Select Pizzas at Safeway are occasionally offered at $0.99 or $1.99 on a Safeway for U special. At that price, I can add a few additional ingredients if I need to and still came out ahead.
I think the "for U" coupons are based on things you have previously bought, but if that's the case, maybe I should try one or two again (a) to see if it triggers that discount and (b) to test if they've reverted the declining quality I saw before.
BalancedJCB19

Post by BalancedJCB19 »

My absolute favorite is, Mama Mia, that's a great Pizza, it's better than many pizza parlors I go to. They also sell a pepperoni pizza and that one is called, Eat the Pepper, go ahead eat the Pepper
Both great.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

iamlucky13 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:59 am
jlawrence01 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:34 pm

I think the "for U" coupons are based on things you have previously bought, but if that's the case, maybe I should try one or two again (a) to see if it triggers that discount and (b) to test if they've reverted the declining quality I saw before.

Actually, it was straight from the ad. Limit 3.

I rarely buy anything from Safeway or Kroger unless it is on sale in the ad or marked down in the store.
veggivet

Post by veggivet »

No to your first question, and no to your second question.
Scottyjj1

Post by Scottyjj1 »

Marylander1 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:50 am If available in your area Pinsa are much better than most pizza restaurants. https://www.pinsa.love/
100% agree, not like traditional pizza. rectangular- they look hand made. the crust is the key, crispy and light. so good, we buy the cheese one and add our own toppings.

https://www.pinsa.love/
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Unfortunately, and maybe this is regional if they produce them in multiple locations, Safeway decided to ruin them a few years ago.

Over time, the toppings got progressively fewer and less evenly distributed. When it got to the point where it became necessary to spend 10 minutes prying frozen toppings out of the mound on one side of the pizza to spread them out before cooking, we gave up.

The last few times we did frozen pizza, it was Costco's cauliflower crust pizza. This is a very tasty thin crust supreme. Maybe a little more expensive than I'd like to spend on a frozen pizza, but somehow they nailed the crust texture and flavor.

NOPE.

The secret ingredient to make the crust both crispy and chewy and flavorful all at once without flour isn't some magic in the cauliflower. It's cheese.

Don't get me wrong, I like cheese, but you're already getting a sizeable serving of it on top of the pizza. For an equivalent amount of pizza, the Kirkland cauliflower pizza has 10-25% more fat, saturated fat, and sodium compared to a Digiorno thin-crust supreme.

After I compared the nutrition data, I asked my wife to see what other frozen pizza Costco has for the future.

I wish Costco would bring back their supreme at the food court. That was the only one of their takeout pizza's I really thought was worth the calories.
If you take the time to read labels on processed food, it really is enlightening. Although there are exceptions, most of them are really loaded with ingredients you would never choose to use in preparing your own food. I understand that a lot of processed stuff in boxes probably “requires” some pretty nasty preservatives. I’m not sure I understand why frozen items do; I’m sure there is a reason.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

Aldi's frozen pizzas imported from Italy are some of my favorites. Aldi's frozen Gino's Deep Dish is as good as any restaurant pizza. Like a lot of Aldi items, they aren't always in stock.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Vito and Nick's are the best thin crust frozen pizzas I've ever had, but they're pricey and might only be available in the Chicagoland area (they're in most grocery stores and Walmart here). They're named after/related to a relatively famous local pizzaria.

For making our own, we've settled on the Aldi fresh dough. It's $1.25, tastes good, and is incredibly easy to work with. One ball will completely fill a half-sheet pan with a thin (but not cracker-thin) crust. If you don't have an Aldi nearby, our second choice is the Walmart brand in a tube. The best tasting is actually Whole Foods' ancient grain dough. But it's $5 and a little more difficult to stretch, so we don't get it very often.

In all cases, the key is to stretch it out and then par-bake it before topping it. Five or so minutes in the oven by itself, until it just barely starts to brown, gives it a stronger structure that holds up to the toppings better.

For sauce, we've had good luck with Trader Joe's in a jar, but it's also ridiculously easy/cheap to make your own. Canned San Marzano tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, fresh basil, salt, and sugar.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

We buy frozen pizza dough at our local grocery chain about once a week. We have a larger retangular sized Ninja airfryer.

Honestly we can make a fresh baked pizza in our airfryer just as fast as it takes to bake a frozen pizza in conventional oven.

Couple of tips -

1. Leave the grocery store dough in the frig apprx 2 days. The added time in the frig lets the dough develop better flavor and texture.

2. On pizza night take the dough out of frig 1-2 hours beforehand. The dough is much easier to rollout and will cook way nicer if it starts near room temp.

3. For cheese use a combination of thin Mozzarella and Provolone slices.

4. Do not use preshredded (covered in cellulose). Use low moisture "dry" Mozzarella, wet Mozzarella is way too wet for pizza making.
A little cheese goes a long way. 4-5 slices torn up and dotted around the crust is plenty.

5. Use inexpensive small 8 ounce can of tomato sauce (using about 2/3 of a can). You can add a little oregano, basil, and garlic powder to sauce on the pizza, no need for expensive jarred sauce.

6. Add toppings of your choice. With airfryer no need to precook toppings to reduce moisture. We stopped eating meat last year so toppings consist of onions, peppers, tomato, mushrooms, olives etc.

7. We use a Ninja air fryer to make pizza. The Ninja (link below) is really good size for pizza, has a pizza specific heat cycle, produces a great pizza twice as fast as any residential oven. 1 minute preheat, then 10-11 minutes cook time, top bubbled w/a bit of char, bottom comes out perfect.

https://www.costco.com/ninja-foodi-10-i ... 05708.html
Last edited by jabberwockOG on Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

jebmke wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:07 am

NOPE.

If you take the time to read labels on processed food, it really is enlightening. Although there are exceptions, most of them are really loaded with ingredients you would never choose to use in preparing your own food. I understand that a lot of processed stuff in boxes probably “requires” some pretty nasty preservatives. I’m not sure I understand why frozen items do; I’m sure there is a reason.
It’s not the ultra processing, it’s the hyper-palatability that makes me avoid supermarket pizza.

Tera Fazzino and her colleagues have done fascinating research on what makes a food hyper-palatable. It’s a particular combination of fat and sodium (> 25% kcal from fat, ≥ 0.30% sodium by weight), fat and simple sugars (> 20% kcal from fat, > 20% kcal from sugar), and carbohydrates and sodium (> 40% kcal from carbohydrates, ≥ 0.20% sodium by weight).

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/fu ... /oby.22639

I haven’t eliminated foods that have been engineered to be hyper-palatable, but I try to limit them. I’ll use a thin crust from the grocery store and build my own pizza if I want pizza. When I’m in the Chicago area, I’ll stop at Lou Malnati’s.

Sorry to ruin a perfectly good thread. Carry on. 8-)
Minty

Post by Minty »

Roncadin, available at Costco and Grocery Outlet, praised here on Reddit. I've eaten a lot of pizza in New Haven, New York, Michigan and the Bay Area, so I should be believed! There is also great frozen pizza available at the Goldbelly food site, but by no means at supermarket prices.
Core Four w/ nominal bonds & TIPS. Refi Rampage: Purchase: 3.875% 30 -> R1 3% 20 -> R2 2.375% 15 -> R3 1.99% 15 -> R4 1.875% 15
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Frechetta - we buy both Gluten Free and regular (square) cheese. We don't buy any with toppings but add our own (high quality pepperoni and olives) along with adding a little extra shredded cheese, oregeno, garlic granules, and onion powder. Also - we cook them on preheated pizza stones to assure a crisp crust.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

We usually have a couple of Supreme Screaming Pizzas in the freezer to cook if we're lazy, but have found the deli at Harris Teeter to have the best Supreme Pizza. They usually put some take and bake ones out in the morning until they run out, and you can buy cooked ones in the deli. If they only have cheese pizzas for take and bake we get one of those then add pepperoni, olives, onions, sausage, and green/red peppers at home. Those are the best in my opinion.
GeauxTigers

Post by GeauxTigers »

snackdog wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:31 pm
Many people rave about the Detroit-style Motor City pizza at Costco. About 20 grams of fat per slice! We didn't like it much but you might.

Thank you!
I've also seen that brand at HEB if you are in Texas. Same price as Costco.
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. - George S. Patton
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

GeauxTigers wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:58 am
snackdog wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:31 pm
Many people rave about the Detroit-style Motor City pizza at Costco. About 20 grams of fat per slice! We didn't like it much but you might.

Thank you!
I've also seen that brand at HEB if you are in Texas. Same price as Costco.

Alas, I am not blessed to be in Texas. (Love that state!)
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

SmileyFace wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:33 am
Frechetta - we buy both Gluten Free and regular (square) cheese. We don't buy any with toppings but add our own (high quality pepperoni and olives) along with adding a little extra shredded cheese, oregeno, garlic granules, and onion powder. Also - we cook them on preheated pizza stones to assure a crisp crust.

Sounds good! Thank you!
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

jabberwockOG wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:07 am We buy frozen pizza dough at our local grocery chain about once a week. We have a larger retangular sized Ninja airfryer.

Honestly we can make a fresh baked pizza in our airfryer just as fast as it takes to bake a frozen pizza in conventional oven.

Couple of tips -

1. Leave the grocery store dough in the frig apprx 2 days. The added time in the frig lets the dough develop better flavor and texture.

2. On pizza night take the dough out of frig 1-2 hours beforehand. The dough is much easier to rollout and will cook way nicer if it starts near room temp.

3. For cheese use a combination of thin Mozzarella and Provolone slices.

4. Do not use preshredded (covered in cellulose). Use low moisture "dry" Mozzarella, wet Mozzarella is way too wet for pizza making.
A little cheese goes a long way. 4-5 slices torn up and dotted around the crust is plenty.

5. Use inexpensive small 8 ounce can of tomato sauce (using about 2/3 of a can). You can add a little oregano, basil, and garlic powder to sauce on the pizza, no need for expensive jarred sauce.

6. Add toppings of your choice. With airfryer no need to precook toppings to reduce moisture. We stopped eating meat last year so toppings consist of onions, peppers, tomato, mushrooms, olives etc.

7. We use a Ninja air fryer to make pizza. The Ninja (link below) is really good size for pizza, has a pizza specific heat cycle, produces a great pizza twice as fast as any residential oven. 1 minute preheat, then 10-11 minutes cook time, top bubbled w/a bit of char, bottom comes out perfect.

https://www.costco.com/ninja-foodi-10-i ... 05708.html

You have it down to an (impressive) science!

I could make room in my small-ish kitchen for an air-fryer but I keep wishing I could try one first to see if I would use it all the time. (The past few years, I have been working to streamline and downsize and I am super-careful about buying new kitchen items because I am practically a recovering Kitchen Items Anonymous member ... :wink: .)

Thank you for sharing your technique!
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

Not exactly pizza, but Jacks has cheesy dippers that I had recently and actually thought were really good. https://www.hy-vee.com/aisles-online/p/ ... ping-Sauce
Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu »

mjg wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:04 pm
climber2020 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:51 am Home Run Inn. Walmart and Publix both sell them.
+1 Home Run Inn pizza is very good for a frozen pizza. We like the pepperoni or the pepperoni + sausage or the meat lovers versions. At their website you can find out where it's carried local to you.

The previously mentioned Motor City Pizza from Costco is also good.
+2

I don't really buy frozen pizza anymore, but when I did Home Run Inn was always a "go-to" option.
Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu »

zie wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:00 pm
Another tip, if you like a crunchier bottom crust, you can use rough ground cornmeal on the pan/stone/etc that you use and put the dough on that before placing the dough and cooking.
Agree, this was a game-changer for my pizza-making results.
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

nisiprius wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:00 pm No, it was not the same as a pizzeria pizza. Among other things I haven't figured out how to stretch the dough and it was a little more like "French bread pizza." But it was definitely better than frozen or prepackaged. And not much work to prepare.
Pizza dough needs to be closer to room temperature to properly stretch.
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

Red Baron or DiGiorno are our family go-to's. Our kids like them. Can't beat the price. Convenient on nights where kids have early activities and we're rushing to get food in their bellies prior to their sports.
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

rk6 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:14 pm We have tried quite a few and we find that the Freschetta and the Motor City Pizza brands are the best tasting to us. The Motor City Pizza we have only been able to find at Walmart.
Second vote for Motor City Pizza. Available at Costco as well. Make sure to season it to taste... garlic salt is a must. A lot of people think frozen pizzas come seasoned and they really don't, not like a restaurant pizza would at least. Gotta keep that nutrition label looking friendly 🤷‍♂️

I season with Garlic, Salt, Black Pepper, and Crushed Red Pepper. Preheating the oven is a must. 20 minutes at 425f then broil for 5 minutes to get crispy golden brown crust and curled edges on the pepperoni.

Homemade pizza is great, but it's a multi-day process for a proper dough ball and a lot of dishes. The Motor City pizza cooks in its own tray and is freezer to plate in 30 minutes.
Last edited by kevinf on Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.