LinkedIn strategies

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tenkuky

LinkedIn strategies

Post by tenkuky »

I am beginning to explore enhancing my LinkedIn profile (only started one in the last 6 months) to get my feet into connecting for near-future consulting as I look to diversify from my W-2 job and finally retire and do only part-time consulting.
So far, I've:
- made about 50 connections, mostly people I already know in my industry
- Added a catchy description of myself in the profile
- Made links to key deliverables I've achieved (in this case healthcare publications)

I have yet hesitated to start writing my own posts or "like"/"comment" on those of others.

I would appreciate tips/strategies on how to enhance the LinkedIn experience without spending hours of time on it or paying for "premium" services.
And any etiquette around ignoring unsolicited requests for connections; and following someone vs. attempting to connect with them?
And if someone has viewed my profile, should I reach out or connect?

Thanks in advance!
GreendaleCC

Re: LinkedIn strategies

Post by GreendaleCC »

An easy step would be to find the companies or organizations in your industry that matter in one way or another and follow them so you can see what’s important to them.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

Is your LinkedIn profile as complete as your resume?

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
Topic Author
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

KlangFool wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:06 am OP,

KlangFool
No Klang it is not. Just a few areas I've filled out.
What is your recommendation?
I probably need to reword things from an academic resume to have more "punch" or focus on practical skills.
GreendaleCC

Post by GreendaleCC »

I know there are a lot of differing philosophies out there. This is my two cents.
tenkuky wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:01 am
And any etiquette around ignoring unsolicited requests for connections; and following someone vs. attempting to connect with them?
If I don’t know them and they didn’t explain why they are trying to connect with me, I ignore them, unless there is a common shared experience that makes their reasoning obvious. In that case I’d reach out to see if they’ll respond.

I follow strangers whose posts I want to see but who I don’t have a reason to contact.
tenkuky wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:01 amAnd if someone has viewed my profile, should I reach out or connect?
No, unless you have a compelling reason that would be appealing to the viewer.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Some of it comes down to whether the people who you expect would hire you are light, moderate, or heavy users of LinkedIn. I know some people who might hire me have accounts but haven't logged into them for years. So sending them a message on LinkedIn would not be a reliable way to reach them. So I still have their cell phone numbers and emails too.

LinkedIn has several functions among them: tracking contacts (like an address book), keeping your name in front of people (making comments on posts), promoting something to enhance your reputation (such as original content or reposts). You have to develop a personal strategy for your consulting business. It all is very specific to what you want and need to do. If LinkedIn would help develop your consulting business, it may be something you'd do. If, on the other hand as an extreme example, any potential clients disdain social media it won't help at all. I have several cybersecurity friends who are proud of the fact that they have no social media accounts, if that's your audience you need something else.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

tenkuky wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:08 am
KlangFool wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:06 am OP,

KlangFool
No Klang it is not. Just a few areas I've filled out.
What is your recommendation?
I probably need to reword things from an academic resume to have more "punch" or focus on practical skills.
I made my LinkedIn profile as complete as my resume.

"I probably need to reword things from an academic resume to have more "punch" or focus on practical skills."

You should contact your industry insider to give you an honest assessment to your actually valuable skills and capabilities. What you believe your strength and weaknesses are not the same as how others look at you.

KlangFool
Last edited by KlangFool on Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
rk6

Post by rk6 »

Suggest spending a bit of time thinking about what you want "connected on LinkedIn" to represent (for you) and how that dovetails with your goals.

LinkedIn themselves say:
"On LinkedIn, the basic type of connection is a contact you know personally and who you trust on a professional level."

Some people (including me) deliberately limit their connections to people that they know well (and would be comfortable recommending to others for a given position, or being recommended by them).

You can turn off the "Connect" button on your profile or limit it to people who already know your email address, so that random people cannot send you connection requests. (there are details and nuances to that, which you can read about under "Settings and Privacy").

And keep in mind that other people's definitions of who they want to be connected to, may be different from yours.
Last edited by rk6 on Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Maybe this would be interesting: How many of you have gotten a job from LinkedIn? If so, what type of industry are you in and how did it happen?

Maybe you reached out to someone you knew, a headhunter contacted you on LinkedIn, you saw a post from someone you knew about a job, or you follow companies on LinkedIn and saw a job posted by a company?

If so, were these salaried W-2 jobs or 1099 consultant opportunities?
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

stan1 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:23 am
Maybe this would be interesting: How many of you have gotten a job from LinkedIn? If so, what type of industry are you in and how did it happen?
stan1,

Most of My jobs/contracts are from LinkedIn. They were unsolicited contacts from the recruiter (internal and external). I am in the datacom / telecom industry.

"If so, were these salaried W-2 jobs or 1099 consultant opportunities?"

Both.

KlangFool
stan1

Post by stan1 »

KlangFool wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:29 am
stan1,

Most of My jobs/contracts are from LinkedIn. They were unsolicited contacts from the recruiter (internal and external). I am in the datacom / telecom industry.

Both.

KlangFool
Interesting, so the recruiters reached out to you. That makes sense, I'm guessing you have a very strong resume with your technical skills. Put in some very specific keywords and your profile will rise to the top type of situation?
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

stan1 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:34 am
KlangFool wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:29 am
stan1,

Both.

KlangFool
Interesting, so the recruiters reached out to you. That makes sense, I'm guessing you have a very strong resume with your technical skills. Put in some very specific keywords and your profile will rise to the top type of situation?
stan1,

There are not many jobs that need me. And, for the job that need me, there are not many people with similar experience/exposure. So, it is not hard for industry insiders to find me if they have that specific requirement.

And, I can weed out wrong recruiter by insisting that they provide the job description.

KlangFool
Topic Author
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

KlangFool wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:20 am
You should contact your industry insider to give you an honest assessment to your actually valuable skills and capabilities. What you believe your strength and weaknesses are not the same as how others look at you.

KlangFool
Very helpful, thank you as always, Klang.
I'll reach out to some high level users who can be honest with me on this.
I also think I need to be more committed to this process, so far, it's been an occasional glance but as you have always taught us, be prepared for the unexpected esp with job loss. Having a robust network is a good thing.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

I'd suggest that your LinkedIn profile be a digest version of your resume. Also invest in a professionally taken headshot. Those stand out vs. people with no picture or one taken on an iPhone at the beach.
ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus »

I only link with people I will vouch for and who I believe will vouch for me in LinkedIn.

When I applied for my last high tech job, I did the following:

1) Found a job I was interested in on their public website

2) Found several contacts on LinkedIn that I’d previously worked with who were working at that company.

3) Sent them the job info I was applying for

4) My contacts found the same job on the company’s internal job site, which identified the hiring manager

5) They contacted the hiring manager and vouched that I was competent, hard working, and easy to get along with.

IMO “building a following” on LinkedIn is useless. But it’s nice to see what my former coworkers are doing. If I ever search for a job again, a referral from someone I know is the most effective tactic.

Another technique is as a hiring manager. Look up the candidate on LinkedIn. See who their contacts are (if you can). See if any already work at the company. Ask them if the candidate is good/nice.

That’s why I don’t link with strangers on LinkedIn. Only link with people you know who will vouch for you.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

ccieemeritus wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:22 pm I only link with people I will vouch for and who I believe will vouch for me in LinkedIn.

When I applied for my last high tech job, I did the following:

1) Found a job I was interested in on their public website

2) Found several contacts on LinkedIn that I’d previously worked with who were working at that company.

3) Sent them the job info I was applying for

4) My contacts found the same job on the company’s internal job site, which identified the hiring manager

5) They contacted the hiring manager and vouched that I was competent, hard working, and easy to get along with.

IMO “building a following” on LinkedIn is useless. But it’s nice to see what my former coworkers are doing. IfI ever search for a job again, a referral from someone I know is the most effective tactic.

Another technique is as a hiring manager. Look up the candidate on LinkedIn. See who their contacts are (if you can). See if any already work at the company. Ask them if the candidate is good/nice.

That’s why I don’t link with strangers on LinkedIn. Only link with people you know who will vouch for you.
+1,000.

KlangFool
id0ntkn0wjack

Post by id0ntkn0wjack »

tenkuky wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:01 am I am beginning to explore enhancing my LinkedIn profile (only started one in the last 6 months) to get my feet into connecting for near-future consulting as I look to diversify from my W-2 job and finally retire and do only part-time consulting.
So far, I've:
- made about 50 connections, mostly people I already know in my industry
- Added a catchy description of myself in the profile
- Made links to key deliverables I've achieved (in this case healthcare publications)

I have yet hesitated to start writing my own posts or "like"/"comment" on those of others.

I would appreciate tips/strategies on how to enhance the LinkedIn experience without spending hours of time on it or paying for "premium" services.
And if someone has viewed my profile, should I reach out or connect?

In viewing your LinkedIn presence and your purpose of developing a post-retirement Consulting stream, is it clear on the site why someone would hire you?

Typically, Consultants are sought because they have a demonstrated ability to provide a solution to a specific problem -- your LI presence should demonstrate your subject matter expertise on problem-solving.

Likes are worthless; comments allow you to piggy-back off of the networks of those who have already established themselves as thought-leaders on the platform; creating new content is generally the best way to have the algorithim promote you. Right now, I would doubt that you are even a blip on the LI radar; sharing your expertise is a good way to leverage LI, grow your network and get on the Radar of those who might want your services in the future.

Develop an "Avatar" of who you want to connect with on LI -- if someone within your target audience sends an unsolicited request, jump on it; if they are not part of your TA, ignore.

Same with profile views -- if the view is part of you TA, consider it as a warm lead.
I moved 10% of my equities into BLV (Vanguard Long Term Bond ETF) in January 2021. Follow my advice at your own peril.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

OP, one strategy I used (sparingly) was to provide recommendations to colleagues whose work I found exemplary. In return, I received recommendations from some of these colleagues.

Secondly, I am careful about who I connect with. I must either know them, have very similar interests in my field of specialization, or I want to know them. I get a fair number of financial advisers who want to connect with me, and for some reason, I get a surprising number of model-beautiful Asian women who want to connect. I refuse both groups. The advisors want to sell me their services or use my name to connect to others. The second group probably has more nefarious motives possibly related to national security risks. .
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

tenkuky wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:01 am
tenkuky,

1) I only do congratulation to my former colleagues.

2) I do not post on LinkedIn. Too much potential for non-disclosure conflict.

3) An easy way to prove your expertise on a subject is to have US patent granted on that subject matter. I have a list of US patents granted on my subject matters. They are public information not subjected to non-disclosure limitation.

4) As per LinkedIn connection, focus on quality as opposed to quantity.

KlangFool
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

tenkuky wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:01 am I have yet hesitated to start writing my own posts or "like"/"comment" on those of others.
LinkedIn is largely a watered down Facebook with your resume and self-promoters. But, you need a good, clean, professional profile/resume.

If you do start being active, my primary advice is be cognizant of whom you like or comment on. It stuns me how many people post political or religious things on Facebook. I immediately block them so they don't appear in my feed, but more importantly as someone who hires and manages teams, I want to be absolutely sure that person never comes across my desk.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

The strategies you employ depends upon your goal is.
What is your goal? (hoping employers looking to hire find you, keep up to date in your industry, getting more connected with peers, etc.).
fortunefavored

Post by fortunefavored »

id0ntkn0wjack wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:34 pm Likes are worthless; comments allow you to piggy-back off of the networks of those who have already established themselves as thought-leaders on the platform; creating new content is generally the best way to have the algorithim promote you. Right now, I would doubt that you are even a blip on the LI radar; sharing your expertise is a good way to leverage LI, grow your network and get on the Radar of those who might want your services in the future.

Develop an "Avatar" of who you want to connect with on LI -- if someone within your target audience sends an unsolicited request, jump on it; if they are not part of your TA, ignore.

Same with profile views -- if the view is part of you TA, consider it as a warm lead.
This is all good stuff and how LI works.. you can also pay for premium which will also surface you more often. The reality is LI is operating on "engagement" like any other site in the modern world. That is why you see endlessly scrolling garbage on LI because that bumps your profile higher in the pile, which then requires people to engage MORE to compete.. repeat over and over.

If you stop logging in and engaging, your profile will not surface as much. I'm sure there are "gaming linkedin" tricks around, I am thankfully out of the market so I don't need to demean myself like that any more. :)
BigMoneyGrip

Post by BigMoneyGrip »

Check out r/LinkedinLunatics on Reddit for what not to do
warner25

Post by warner25 »

stan1 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:23 am Maybe this would be interesting: How many of you have gotten a job from LinkedIn? If so, what type of industry are you in and how did it happen?
I don't know how far these things would lead, but I get unsolicited messages from recruiters (for IT stuff in the defense industry) about twice a year despite ticking the boxes to indicate that I'm not looking / unavailable for new employment, just interested in networking (it's my professional rolodex in case I ever need one), and having a relatively minimalist profile. I have a photo (plus a cool, relevant background photo), a generic location, a few nice but high-level bullet points about my actual work experience and accomplishments, and somewhat more detailed education and certification sections.
Topic Author
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

OP here. Thanks for all the wonderful guidance.
I will take it slow and be judicious on my network acceptances, posting etc.
I have uploaded a professional headshot and fleshed out my profile.
I have never done Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Snap or any other platform so I am generally wary about these.
Good to know the pros and cons.
Will check out the Reddit suggested.

Re. my objective.. mix of "what's new out there", "notice I exist but currently not scoping for work" "what can I learn from others on LI"
Not a real emphatic "I'm available to work" or "I have tons of content to share".
Call me a window shopper. Like my early days here.... read, watch, keep yer mouth shut!