Apple Mail & Xfinity Mail Incompatible ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ubermax

Apple Mail & Xfinity Mail Incompatible ?

Post by ubermax »

There was a point in time before the end of 2023 when my emails viewed using the Apple mail app on my iPhone were in sync with those seen on my laptop via my Xfinity account - now emails appear in both places but when I delete an email from either place it's not deleted from the
other - Apple support points to Xfinity and a trouble shooting session with Xfinity didn't produce a solution .

Using Safari I could go directly to my Xfinity emails from my iPhone but that's a work around and not an answer as to why Xfinity & Apple are suddenly incompatible .

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated - this is above my pay grade but apparently I was Imap before and now I'm POP3 :confused
Last edited by ubermax on Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
corduroysuit

Re: Apple Mail & Xfinity Mail Incompatible ?

Post by corduroysuit »

You will need to use IMAP instead of POP for your mail settings, if you want the mailboxes to stay in sync.
Topic Author
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

corduroysuit wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:50 pm You will need to use IMAP instead of POP for your mail settings, if you want the mailboxes to stay in sync. It’s possible that xfinity won’t allow you to use IMAP.
Yes , thanks for the reply and I agree - supposedly they were hacked last year and they may be better protected by only supporting POP3 going forward .
Topic Author
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

The fact that Apple mail is installed on every iPhone combined with the additional fact that Xfinity is a major internet service provider makes it hard for me to believe that no one on this forum has experienced what I described in my introductory post - or maybe the one lone response I got says it all .??
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

My wife has an iphone 11 and a mini ipad and as a long time comcast customer she uses comcast/xfinity email. It is a constant source of irritation to me - "Honey, what is it doing now? Why isn't it working, why is it different than yesterday, why don't they sync?"

I don't know, I don't want to know, but somehow I get it straightened out eventually. Usually by waiting a day or two and then claiming credit when it fixes itself. :)

I don't have problems with my iphone 11 and my verizon.net/aka aol/aka yahoo email.
I hate comcast, but that's been the sole provider out here in the woods and she's lived here since '95.

It is nice and quiet out here, except for our dog lazily chasing and barking at deer herds, possums, raccoons, turkeys and such, all while wagging his tail. They know him. The deer, squirrels and rabbits don't bother to run until he gets within 10 feet or so. He wandered into the side woods the other day because there were 6 deer standing on the deer path. He stood there looking at their rear ends. What he didn't see were the other six standing behind him waiting to get through. They finally split and went around him so the group would move on - boy was he surprised when they walked off the path into the crunchy ground cover.

Idk, I'd still move back to town just to get Fios again. Don't tell my wife.
Topic Author
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

andypanda wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:31 am My wife has an iphone 11 and a mini ipad and as a long time comcast customer she uses comcast/xfinity email. It is a constant source of irritation to me - "Honey, what is it doing now? Why isn't it working, why is it different than yesterday, why don't they sync?"

I don't have problems with my iphone 11 and my verizon.net/aka aol/aka yahoo email.
I hate comcast, but that's been the sole provider out here in the woods and she's lived here since '95.
Thanks for responding - My wife has : iphone 13 , iPadpro, & W10 laptop , & Apple Mail App ( not Xfinity ) - (1) Every day she has to delete her emails from both the iPhone & iPad but (2) the email folders that she creates are in sync and visable on both the Pro & the laptop - I have an Apple SE and a W10 laptop and also use the Apple Mail App - every day I delete emails from the SE & laptop and my email folders can only be seen on my laptop , not on my iPhone - for now she wants to keep using Apple mail but I'm thinking of deleting the Apple mail app and just using Xfinity email - two observations (1) Apple & Xfinity seem to clash and (2) the iPad and the iPhone behave differently with regards to email folders .
Nummerkins

Post by Nummerkins »

IMAP keeps emails on a server so multiple devices can access them. POP3 does not. Once an email is delivered to a device via POP3 it’s stuck there.

Remove your Comcast account from Apple Mail and add it again as an IMAP server. Settings here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/article ... nity-email
Today's high is tomorrow's low.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

Thanks for the link. Now I remember why I hate comcast. Well, the email instructions and the all too frequent tv outages
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

This won't be very helpful, but in twenty-five years of using email, I have found that email services provided by ISPs to be consistently troublesome and unreliable. Beset by outages. Often requiring tricky manual setups within the email application in order to work, nonstandard port numbers, not playing nice with email client autoconfiguration. Slow to deliver mail (very annoying in these days where everyone wants to send a 2FA code to your email account). Constantly changing, so that you have to run as fast as you can to stay in the same place. Like changes in port numbers or protocol configuration details. Like the provider going through a merger and changing its name, so you need to tell everyone that your email address has changed from johndoe@bellatlantic.net to johndoe@verizon.net.

Even now, the corporate attitude seems to be that it doesn't need to be any good because you are getting it "for free."

Verizon, believe it or not, abruptly discontinued their email service in 2017. As with things like airline baggage fees, once Verizon has shown they can get away with it, I would worry about others following suit. You might need to change anyway. I would put "new email provider" on the nagging to-do list. But change "to what?" is a question.

I am hesitant to recommend gmail because of galloping "platform decay" with Google and privacy concerns, but, strictly as an email service and strictly writing about today, it is good. (Not the web interface, I hate it, but it was easy to set it up to work with the Apple Mail client on macOS, so probably with iOS as well.) Good spam filtering. And it has been stable--I haven't had to touch the settings in my client since setting it up years ago, despite upgrades in macOS and Mail, migration to new computers, etc.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
corduroysuit

Post by corduroysuit »

+1 to the advice from nsiprius.

I have Comcast/xfinity but moved away from their email. My logic was that eventually I will get tired of Comcast’s price increases, or maybe a better option will become available, and I want the flexibility to switch providers without having to rearrange my email in a panic.

Proton Mail is a good free option if you’re avoiding the google universe, or even if you’re not.
OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner »

ubermax wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:07 am The fact that Apple mail is installed on every iPhone combined with the additional fact that Xfinity is a major internet service provider makes it hard for me to believe that no one on this forum has experienced what I described in my introductory post - or maybe the one lone response I got says it all .??
While Xfinity is a major internet provider, I don't know a single person in my friend or professional group who uses their ISP's provided email address. Actually, I can think of one, but it is a holdover from the 90's AOL days and is an aol.com address. Other than him, everyone uses gmail, icloud, yahoo, hotmail, etc.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

I am not knowledgeable about any particular security incident with Xfinity email. However, the Xfinity support page recommends IMAP very the very reasons that you discussed.

Have you reviewed this page:
https://www.xfinity.com/support/article ... nity-email
Topic Author
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

Thanks for all the many thoughts and ideas - I am still able to see all the same emails on both laptop and iPhone and so they're in sync in that way but once I delete an email from either one they are out of sync - I have connect.xfinity.com stored under Apple notes and so when on the go I can see my emails that way .

I did go to a local Xfinity store and asked to have IMAP restored and after tapping the keys for a couple minutes the gentleman said I now have IMAP - I don't , when I got home I deleted an email and it still appeared on my laptop - I can only assume that he did what Nummerkins suggested ??

I'm a little leery about deleting & then restoring the Xfinity account on my own - if anything I don't need Apple mail - it could very well be as someone said that Xfinity doesn't support IMAP anymore - I could be wrong but from what I could see from the responses, no one is using Apple mail alongside Xfinity - I'm the only one from this small sample size that has a mixed bag .

Thanks again for your time !!
zie

Post by zie »

ubermax wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:48 pm
I did go to a local Xfinity store and asked to have IMAP restored and after tapping the keys for a couple minutes the gentleman said I now have IMAP - I don't , when I got home I deleted an email and it still appeared on my laptop - I can only assume that he did what Nummerkins suggested ??
There are 2 pieces that have to allow for IMAP, the server(Xfinity in this case) and the client(Apple Mail in this case), and in fact, for you, you have to have IMAP setup across your phone and computer(and maybe iPad?). So perhaps 4 different places you have to ensure you are using IMAP.

It sounds like Xfinity did whatever magic they needed to, to make sure the server side has IMAP enabled for your account now, that's good. Now we need to make sure your clients do. You might be able to get the Xfinity support people to verify your clients are configured with IMAP, but that's probably hit or miss on how friendly the customer service person is feeling that day. Assuming you have a local Apple Store, they can probably help you verify your IMAP is setup correctly.

To do it yourself:

In Apple Mail on desktop, if you look on the left sidebar, you will see your email address and then 'Inbox'. If you right click on 'Inbox'(on the trackpad, that is clicking with two fingers at the same time usually), you will see a little menu popup, select 'Get Account info'. A new window will show and at the top it will show your email address and in parens, '(IMAP)', if you are indeed connecting to the Xfinity server via IMAP. If it doesn't say that, then you need to follow the instructions linked previously to configure it to use IMAP: https://www.xfinity.com/support/article ... nity-email

On iOS and tablets, go to the Settings app, then scroll down to 'Mail' and select it, and then go down to 'Accounts' and select that. Then select your Xfinity account, you should see a section 'INCOMING MAIL SERVER', and it needs to say 'imap.comcast.net'. If it doesn't, you will need to change it to say that.

Overall I'm generally with Nsipirius, ISP's generally make terrible email providers, except they do usually have some level of rudimentary human support. You can use Microsoft or Google's free email services, both are fine, or you can pay a provider like Fastmail(which is generally very well regarded for pay email service). If you use Google, you will get a @gmail.com address and if you use Microsoft you will get either an @outlook.com or @hotmail.com email address of your choice. Though Google and Microsoft will not provide any human support, since the accounts are free. You can pay Microsoft for human support(it's fairly expensive stuff) or you can pay them for MS 365, which will come with support. You will never ever get a human at Google to provide you support, even if you try to pay them.

Good Luck, whatever you decide!
Whether rich or poor, a young woman should know how a bank account works, understand the composition of mortgages and bonds, and know the value of interest and how it accumulates. -Hetty Green
single2019

Post by single2019 »

ubermax wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:07 am The fact that Apple mail is installed on every iPhone combined with the additional fact that Xfinity is a major internet service provider makes it hard for me to believe that no one on this forum has experienced what I described in my introductory post - or maybe the one lone response I got says it all .??
I am in the same boat. Haven’t found a solution yet.
I don’t want to ditch my Comcast email because I don’t want to depend on gmail as the only other option
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Delete
Last edited by Dottie57 on Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I have xfinity mail and read it through Apple mail no problems

It uses iMap. I have an email on comcast.net
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

I have not had any difficulty accessing Xfinity email on my iPhone or iPad.

My incoming server is imap.comcast.net.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

You have to get your incoming mail from imap.comcast.net.

Ipad - settings- mail - cclick on email name. And make sure it is imap.comcast.net for host name ( for incoming mail)
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

I can chime in that I noticed this change in behavior a LONG time ago. In particular, I noticed it when moving a message to a spam folder stopped doing it on the comcast server. It was definitely before I got my current iPhone 14 and it may have been before my prior iPhone 11.

Prior to this change, not only did marking as spam work as desired, deleting a message on my iPhone deleted it on the server after a set period of time. Even as I look on my settings right now, that is set for one week. However, that hasn’t been the case since I saw old emails when I switched phones. We have/had multiple email accounts, so I could be remembering doing it multiple times because of each account, but they were all part of the same upgrade cycle; or maybe they could actually be the last few upgrades now.

I could switch over to using IMAP instead, but it was just the impetus I needed to move the most things off ISP email (especially given I’ve not been a Comcast customer for over 5 years now). The only things left going there are a few stores’ reward/specials emails or digital receipts at places like Home Depot where using a unique email for them isn’t feasible to type into the register with other customers waiting to pay. Even those are likely to eventually change for me as you can start to update some of this stuff online too.
Topic Author
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

CardinalRule wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:17 pm I have not had any difficulty accessing Xfinity email on my iPhone or iPad.

On my laptop I have the path to my Xfinity emails set up as a favorite - and those same emails appear when I tap the Apple mail app on my iPhone - but if I delete an email from either laptop or iPhone it isn't deleted on the other devise - this has been the case since the beginning of this year - synchronization isn't maintained .

Question : Is there somewhere in settings on my iPhone where I can see if I'm set to imap.comcast.net ??
zie

Post by zie »

ubermax wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:15 am
CardinalRule wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:17 pm I have not had any difficulty accessing Xfinity email on my iPhone or iPad.

On my laptop I have the path to my Xfinity emails set up as a favorite - and those same emails appear when I tap the Apple mail app on my iPhone - but if I delete an email from either laptop or iPhone it isn't deleted on the other devise - this has been the case since the beginning of this year - synchronization isn't maintained .

Question : Is there somewhere in settings on my iPhone where I can see if I'm set to imap.comcast.net ??
Yes, upthread, I gave you instructions on how to do it both on MacOS and on your iOS/phone/tablet devices.

Here it is again:

MacOS

In Apple Mail on desktop, if you look on the left sidebar, you will see your email address and then 'Inbox'. If you right click on 'Inbox'(on the trackpad, that is clicking with two fingers at the same time usually), you will see a little menu popup, select 'Get Account info'. A new window will show and at the top it will show your email address and in parens, '(IMAP)', if you are indeed connecting to the Xfinity server via IMAP. If it doesn't say that, then you need to follow the instructions linked previously to configure it to use IMAP: https://www.xfinity.com/support/article ... nity-email

iOS(Phones and iPads)

On iOS and tablets, go to the Settings app, then scroll down to 'Mail' and select it, and then go down to 'Accounts' and select that. Then select your Xfinity account, you should see a section 'INCOMING MAIL SERVER', and it needs to say 'imap.comcast.net'. If it doesn't, you will need to change it to say that.
Whether rich or poor, a young woman should know how a bank account works, understand the composition of mortgages and bonds, and know the value of interest and how it accumulates. -Hetty Green
Topic Author
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

Nummerkins wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:29 pm IMAP keeps emails on a server so multiple devices can access them. POP3 does not. Once an email is delivered to a device via POP3 it’s stuck there.

Remove your Comcast account from Apple Mail and add it again as an IMAP server. Settings here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/article ... nity-email
I want to thank everyone for your time and input - I went to the local Apple store today and the advisor I spoke to wasn't authorized to physically trouble shoot my iPhone - so I just started winging it using the guidance from Nummerkins - I'm going from memory now but it was something like Settings/Mail/Set Up New Account , the rest is fuzzy now but one key step was to Remove/delete the Comcast account which required inputting my name , email , & password and a couple more steps until a screen gave a choice between Imap & POP - went pretty quick and I was able test the issue when an email is deleted since I could access my emails from Xfinity from my phone - I deleted a couple emails from my phone and they were also deleted from Xfinity - and so it was a successful day and one issue resolved.

But now a new mystery : I have many emails cataloged into folders : On my laptop the emails are listed as Inbox ,Drafts, Sent, Spam, Trash , and then a category called My Folders - there's a small right pointing arrow next to Inbox & when I click that another listing of email folders appears - but the iPhone only shows those under My Folders .

I have a complete set of folders on my laptop but just curious why only some of them appear on the iPhone .