What is your favorite book?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
JaeJones

Re: What is your favorite book?

Post by JaeJones »

Just finished Iberia by Michener. One of his non-fiction and I felt like I travelled through Spain and the entire area including some history of N. Africa.
briansfbay

Post by briansfbay »

My top 3:

Space - James Michener
Noble House - James Clavell
Winds of War - Herman Wouk

Three widely different novels that I've read countless times over the decades... 😄👍

And just because:
Guns of the South - Harry Turtledove
(Book cover shows Robert E. Lee holding an AK-47; 'nuff said) 😁
Last edited by briansfbay on Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
briansfbay

Post by briansfbay »

Prudence wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:41 pm The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara
An Army at Dawn by Rick Atkinson
Killer Angels is excellent.
Don't forget the additional ones by his son Jeff Shaara
AlaskaTeach

Post by AlaskaTeach »

Used to be a fairly serious John Grisham book lover, and then he really hit a home run with me with a short book.

Skipping Christmas.

Inspired me. I still want to go on a cruise to celebrate my birthday, which just happens to coincide with Christmas.
Calhoon

Post by Calhoon »

No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy. I reread it every other year. I love the writing style on this one.

A strong contender would be his Blood Meridian.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

River of Doubt - an amazing tale of Teddy Roosevelt's ill-fated trip, post presidency, down an unexplored river in Brazil. Nearly killed him. Only about 1 in 3 that set off on the trip made it out of the jungle. Very well written and true account based off Teddy's notes.
Watty

Post by Watty »

I feel boring but Lord of the Rings is one that comes to mind. I have probably read it four or five times since first read it when I was a teenager.

The movies are really good but they are not the same.
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

climber2020 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:57 am We should place an over/under on how many posts it takes for someone to say "The Bible".

The only fiction book in my permanent collection is The Little Prince. I first read it at age 7 and like to re-read it every few years.
Amen Brother!

The Bible (the history is fascinating!)
The little Prince
Horologium

Post by Horologium »

JPM wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:21 am Guy Sajer's "The Forgotten Soldier" is an excellent (fictionalized?) Franco-German account of infantry combat on the Russo-German front.
Great book. In the same genre, I'd recommend D-Day Through German Eyes by Holger Eckhertz
JPM wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:21 am Going back to the American Civil War, ... Grant's autobiography is also excellent if you haven't read it.
I think you mean Grant's memoir of his war service, not technically an autobiography, but I agree it is excellent.

Ron Chernow also wrote a fantastic biography of of Grant.
JPM wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:21 amThe Bruce Catton series "Mr LIncoln's Army", "Glory Road", and "A Stillness at Appomattox" was published around the CW centennial as I recall. Its three volumes are a quick overview of the travails and triumphs of the Army of the Potomac.
Also excellent. I'm a big fan of Bruce Catton and highly recommend his other Civil War trilogies:

- The Centennial History of the Civil War: The Coming Fury, Terrible Swift Sword, and Never Call Retreat

- Ulysses S. Grant trilogy: Captain Sam Grant (by Lloyd Lewis), Grant Moves South, and Grant Takes Command.

I'd also add some of Allen Guelzo's books on the Civil War, particularly Gettysburg: The Last Invasion, Abraham Lincoln: Redeemer President, and Robert E. Lee.
Horologium

Post by Horologium »

MoonOrb wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:08 pm The Liberation Trilogy by Rick Atkinson
The Pacific War Trilogy by Ian Toll
Both excellent. I also have Atkinson's book on the Revolutionary War on my list of books to read.

Re the Pacific War, I'd also recommend the late James Hornfischer's Neptune's Inferno: The U.S. Navy at Guadalcanal, The Fleet at Flood Tide: America at Total War in the Pacific, and his best work, The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors.

Staying with the Pacfic War, in the last year, I've read a couple of terrific biographies of Chester Nimitz: Nimitz by E. B. Potter and Nimitz at War by Craig Symonds.
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

War and Peace, by Leo Tolstoy. Manages to be broad [edit: in] scope and yet dives so well into character and family development.
Halicar

Post by Halicar »

For fiction, probably As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner or Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. Both profoundly unsettling in their own ways.
CorgiGoneCycling

Post by CorgiGoneCycling »

Catch-22
Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales »

JaeJones wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:11 am Just finished Iberia by Michener. One of his non-fiction and I felt like I travelled through Spain and the entire area including some history of N. Africa.
Loving that there are some other Michener fans here.

Legacy by Michener is just under 100 pages and can be read in two relaxed evenings. It was written to celebrate the Constitution’s 200 year anniversary and walks you through it’s writing and Amendments. You’ll feel like a “fly on the wall” in the Constitutional Convention.

Michener’s The Source tells the story of Israel and gives incredible insight to today’s events. Poland helps one understand not just that country’s history but also of Ukraine.

I have yet to read his Space but it’s on my bucket/retirement reading list.
epictetus

Post by epictetus »

My life and hard times.
James Thurber
Focus on what you can control
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

Horologium wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:35 am
MoonOrb wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:08 pm The Liberation Trilogy by Rick Atkinson
The Pacific War Trilogy by Ian Toll
Both excellent. I also have Atkinson's book on the Revolutionary War on my list of books to read.

Re the Pacific War, I'd also recommend the late James Hornfischer's Neptune's Inferno: The U.S. Navy at Guadalcanal, The Fleet at Flood Tide: America at Total War in the Pacific, and his best work, The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors.
I liked Atkinson's book on the Revolutionary War, too, and hope others follow. I thought all three of those Hornfischer books were great, as well.
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

protagonist wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:09 pm I like science, history, really good sci-fi, good literature, adventure, off-beat stuff or anything of any subject that will knock my socks off.
I suggest you check out
Inviting Disaster: Lessons From the Edge of Technology
by James Chiles
https://www.amazon.com/Inviting-Disaste ... 0066620821

It describes the causes and effects of actual human-caused disasters, often despite the most well-intentioned preventive designs in the systems that caused them.

I read it again every couple of years to remind me to stay on my toes.
RangersFan

Post by RangersFan »

ekid wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:38 pm
backpacker61 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:41 am Albion's Seed - David Hackett Fischer - explores how American cultures came to be from four antecedent British regional subcultures
Despite desultory searching for a decade I've not been able to find "Albion's Seed". (In a public library)
Albion's Seed (ebook version) popped up immediately when I searched Libby.
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

CorgiGoneCycling wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:21 pm Catch-22
Excellent choice! Probably the funniest book I've ever read ---- until it wasn't. :?
RangersFan

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by RangersFan »

protagonist wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:29 pm
nisiprius wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:39 pm
]I'm reading The Power Broker and finding it readable and interesting. What's holding me up is not that it's 1200 pages, but that it's 1200 pages of fairly fine print and not available in eBook format. I
I could get over the 1200 page hurdle , Nisi, BUT....

1200 pgs. of fine print and no available Kindle version ....that sounds like a Sisyphean feat. I'm so past enjoying holding a ten pound book while wearing reading glasses.....
The Power Broker is available in audiobook through Libby. It's broken into 3 separate volumes.
RangersFan

Post by RangersFan »

Hard to pick a single favorite, but one of my faves is Carl Sagan's sci-fi novel Contact. The movie adaptation by the same name is really good too.
like2read

Post by like2read »

One of my all time favorites: The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money & Power by Daniel Yergen

World history though the lens of oil, from the first well in Pennsylvania through 1992, when it was written. Pulitzer Prize winner. Superbly researched and written narrative history of oil, vast fortunes and world power dynamics.

Another favorite: The Frontiersmen: A Narrative by Allen W. Eckert

Fascinating stories and descriptions of the American frontier, when that meant "the beautiful but deadly country which would one day come to be known as West Virginia, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois."
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Watty wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:27 am I feel boring but Lord of the Rings is one that comes to mind. I have probably read it four or five times since first read it when I was a teenager.

I’ve read the trilogy four times starting in 1968 (when Tolkien was still alive!) but not since the early eighties. My favorite part of the trilogy would have to be the chapter The Bridge of Khazad-dûm from The Fellowship of the Ring.

I’m glad I read them before the films came out. The films were good (though no Tom Bombadil!) but that would’ve ruined the reading experience for me. However Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit was awful. Almost no resemblance to the book.
robertalpert

Post by robertalpert »

Meditations - Marcus Aurelius
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Whenever I feel 'read out' and need a reading break but can't stop reading, I have found books about the great authors, rather than by them, were a break of sorts. That would include Wolfe, Hemingway, Fitzgerald, etc., and the best book I've read about them is A. Scott Berg's Maxwell Perkins: Editor of Genius. Reading it, I often thought how we all need a Maxwell Perkins who can understand us, what we're trying to do, why we often fail at it, and how to help us.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
srouen

Post by srouen »

Some all-time favorites:

Johnathan Strange & Mr Norrell, Susanna Clarke. This is fantasy rather than sci-fi, but it is epic and truly magnificent. Set in Regency Era England and written in an 18th-century style.

The Book of Form and Emptiness, Ruth Ozeki. This is magical realism, and delves into mental health issues, grief, hoarding, with a sense of curiosity and possibility. One of the few novels that I think truly changed my perspective about life!

Founding Mothers, Cokie Roberts. Fascinating and very readable history about the incredible lives of some of the women related to the founding fathers. It's worth the read just for the story of Eliza Pinckney, who lost her parents and inherited her family's plantation at the tender age of 16 and went on to transform South Carolina agriculture.

Happy reading!
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Nicolas wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:24 pm
Watty wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:27 am I feel boring but Lord of the Rings is one that comes to mind. I have probably read it four or five times since first read it when I was a teenager.

I’ve read the trilogy four times starting in 1968 (when Tolkien was still alive!) but not since the early eighties. My favorite part of the trilogy would have to be the chapter The Bridge of Khazad-dûm from The Fellowship of the Ring.

I’m glad I read them before the films came out. The films were good (though no Tom Bombadil!) but that would’ve ruined the reading experience for me. However Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit was awful. Almost no resemblance to the book.
I believe I first read LOTR in 1968 as well. I used to reread the books every six or seven years but have been listening to the excellent Audible release narrated by Rob Inglis recently. There’s also a newer release read by Andy Serkis (Sméagol in the movie) that I’ve heard is very good.

We’re in good company. There are many others including Stephen Colbert and the late Christopher Lee who read the novels every year.
Topic Author
protagonist

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by protagonist »

RangersFan wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:29 pm
protagonist wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:29 pm
nisiprius wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:39 pm
]I'm reading The Power Broker and finding it readable and interesting. What's holding me up is not that it's 1200 pages, but that it's 1200 pages of fairly fine print and not available in eBook format. I
I could get over the 1200 page hurdle , Nisi, BUT....

1200 pgs. of fine print and no available Kindle version ....that sounds like a Sisyphean feat. I'm so past enjoying holding a ten pound book while wearing reading glasses.....
The Power Broker is available in audiobook through Libby. It's broken into 3 separate volumes.
Thanks! That might work for my drive back from FL to MA in May.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Hard to pick one.
In the history category here are some of my favorites:
"American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer" by Bird. They made a movie from it (which I haven't seen yet). The book is very well written. Will watch the movie soon.
Bloodlands: Europe Between Hitler and Stalin - Timothy Snyder
Einstein: His Life and Universe - Isaacson
Many others where I liked the author I read through multiple by the same author (sometimes everything they wrote). Here are my favorites by some of my favorite authors::
Gettysburg - by Sears
Landscape Turned Red: The Battle of Antietam by Sears
1776 - David McCullough
The Wright Brothers - David McCullough
The Great Bridge: The Epic Story of the Building of the Brooklyn Bridge - by David McCullough
The Path Between the Seas: The Creation of the Panama Canal, 1870-1914 - McCullough
(A read a couple of other McCullough best sellers such as John Adams - but the above r where my favorites)
The Devil in the White City - Erik Larson
Thunderstruck - Erik Larson
(read several others by Larson - above 2 are my favorities)
Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War - Nathaniel Philbrick
In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex - Philbrick
(Several of Philbrick's others where good too - but above 2 my favorties).
The Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the Golden Age of Journalism - Doris Kearns Goodwin
(Goodwin is excellent - liked everything I have read by her so far - but most I gave 4 stars too - the above I gave 5 too).
I read a lot of Stephen Ambrose's War History books when I was younger - found them easy reads and liked them. But as my tastes evolved I started to enjoy the above titles which were somehow deeper and more thought provoking.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

protagonist wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:09 pm Please tell me what is your favorite, or one of your favorite, books....NOT necessarily what you are "currently reading".

I need inspiration.
Have you read "Jonathan Livingston Seagull"?

That is one of my favorite books.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

These are the escapism books I tend to re-read:

Dune - Frank Herbert
Cold Beer and Crocodiles - A Bicycle Journey Into Australia - Roff Smith
Blue Latitudes - Boldly going where Captain Cook has Gone Before - Tony Horowitz
Lord Valentine's Castle - Robert Silverberg
FrugalConservative

Post by FrugalConservative »

OpenMinded1 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:27 am The first books that came to mind while reading the Op's post:

1) Touching the Void by Joe Simpson. Non-fiction. A harrowing, amazing, first-person account of survival while mountaineering in the Andes. I've read this book multiple times, and will probably read it again.

2) Over the Edge of the World by Laurence Bergreen. Non-fiction. A great book about the life of Ferdinand Magellan and the horrors he and his crew experienced circumnavigating the world. Meets the criteria of history and adventure.

Favorite is difficult, but the following are a few of the hundreds - maybe thousands - I've read that really stood out for me: (They might not meet the Op's criteria.)

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque. Fiction.

The Rabbit series of novels by John Updike. Fiction.

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Fiction.

The World According to Garp by John Irving. Fiction.

The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe. Fiction.
Added Touching the Void and Over the edge to my list. We have similar tastes, The World according to Garp , Bonfire and Blood meridian are some of my all time favorites. Have you read The Road by McCarthy. Phenomenal.

One of my favorites:

Never let me go by Ishiguro
bh3fpinv

Post by bh3fpinv »

Two of my favorites;

Blind Man's Bluff: The Untold Story of American Submarine Espionage
With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa
4.22 & 4.46 on Good Reads.
Listening to Retribution: The Battle for Japan, 1944-45 which is very interesting as well as educational.

BH3
CloserEveryDay

Post by CloserEveryDay »

I look forward to reading through the suggestions.

I recommend The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hood which I just finished . The first title is Assassin's Apprentice which does have a 4.18 rating on Goodreads (320K+ ratings).

Happy reading!
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

The Little House On The Prairie series was a favorite of mine. L. Ingalls Wilder.
Last edited by snackdog on Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Artful Dodger wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:34 am
Nicolas wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:24 pm

I believe I first read LOTR in 1968 as well. I used to reread the books every six or seven years but have been listening to the excellent Audible release narrated by Rob Inglis recently. There’s also a newer release read by Andy Serkis (Sméagol in the movie) that I’ve heard is very good.

We’re in good company. There are many others including Stephen Colbert and the late Christopher Lee who read the novels every year.
Yes I knew that Christopher Lee read it annually. And what a perfect casting he was in the role of Saruman! I did not know that Colbert did.

I don’t like to listen to Audible books as I’m a slow reader, taking the time to absorb the content, frequently rereading passages. I can’t do that so easily with the spoken word, especially while driving :D
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

John Grisham - The Firm

I haven't been a regular book reader for a long time but this is my most memorable book
Light weight baby!
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

John Updike - the Rabbit books
Saul Bellow - Seize the Day, The Adventures of Augie March, More Die of Heartbreak
Isaac Singer - Gimpel the Fool and other stories, A Crown of Feathers and Other Stories
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

FrugalConservative wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:34 pm
OpenMinded1 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:27 am The first books that came to mind while reading the Op's post:

1) Touching the Void by Joe Simpson. Non-fiction. A harrowing, amazing, first-person account of survival while mountaineering in the Andes. I've read this book multiple times, and will probably read it again.

2) Over the Edge of the World by Laurence Bergreen. Non-fiction. A great book about the life of Ferdinand Magellan and the horrors he and his crew experienced circumnavigating the world. Meets the criteria of history and adventure.

Favorite is difficult, but the following are a few of the hundreds - maybe thousands - I've read that really stood out for me: (They might not meet the Op's criteria.)

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque. Fiction.

The Rabbit series of novels by John Updike. Fiction.

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Fiction.

The World According to Garp by John Irving. Fiction.

The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe. Fiction.
Added Touching the Void and Over the edge to my list. We have similar tastes, The World according to Garp , Bonfire and Blood meridian are some of my all time favorites. Have you read The Road by McCarthy. Phenomenal.

One of my favorites:

Never let me go by Ishiguro
I'll have to check out Never Let Me Go.

Yes, I've read The Road, and enjoyed it. I think I've read all but the most recently released of Cormac McCarthy's books. I can't think of the title at the moment. He's one of my favorite authors. I find his style of writing very appealing. Was sorry to hear he passed away a couple years ago.
OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner »

My username-sake
Last edited by OnceARunner on Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

I recently read Creation by Gore Vidal and liked it. It's historical fiction about set in Persia, Greece, India, and China. It is set in the 5th century BC, it is the biography of an interesting opinionated diplomat of the Persian Empire who met Socrates, Buddha, Confucious, and many other famous persons of that period.

One of my favorite books is Thirteen Moons.
market timer

Post by market timer »

A Confederacy of Dunces, by John Kennedy Toole
vested1

Post by vested1 »

For science fiction Stranger in a Strange World by Robert Heinlein hooked me on science fiction at a young age, and The Stand by Stephen King (not strictly science fiction) stood out as well. Dean Koontz and Stephen King competed for my attention on the horror side.

LOTR and The Hobbit are my favorites of all time, read and listened to too many times to list.

For effortless light reading any of the Lee Childs books featuring Jack Reacher are great. The series Reacher finally has an actor to do the character justice.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

market timer wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:06 am A Confederacy of Dunces, by John Kennedy Toole
A great book.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain.

Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
MementoMori

Post by MementoMori »

Well this is Bogleheads:

Den of Thieves, James Stewart
When Genius Failed, Roger Lowenstein
Crash of the Titans, Greg Farrell

But these are good reads too!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

vested1 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:36 am For science fiction Stranger in a Strange World by Robert Heinlein hooked me on science fiction at a young age, and The Stand by Stephen King (not strictly science fiction) stood out as well. Dean Koontz and Stephen King competed for my attention on the horror side.

LOTR and The Hobbit are my favorites of all time, read and listened to too many times to list.

For effortless light reading any of the Lee Childs books featuring Jack Reacher are great. The series Reacher finally has an actor to do the character justice.
The title is Stranger in a Strange Land. The title is taken from Exodus 2:22.
turtlebug

Post by turtlebug »

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (published 75 years ago this June).
jaqenhghar

Post by jaqenhghar »

snackdog wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:14 pm The Little House On The Prairie series was a favorite of mine. L. Ingalls Wilder.
+1.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:00 pm I don’t like to listen to Audible books as I’m a slow reader, taking the time to absorb the content, frequently rereading passages. I can’t do that so easily with the spoken word, especially while driving

Very interesting, and almost the same here.
I used to be a *very* fast reader. More recently, i occasionally almost linger over some particularly well written sections. I don't know how to describe those. It's just an "I know them when I see them" thing. Sometimes it's just a single sentence, and there's just "something about it".
I wish I could think of an example now, but... nope.

Also, as I've mentioned elsewhere, I learn MUCH better reading than listening, but best of all when writing notes. (So yes, in classrooms IF I'm taking good notes, that's the best learning method for me.)

It's interesting about whether it's better to read the book first or see the movie first, when there is a choice and one hasn't yet done either.
I prefer reading the book when I don't know "how it ends". That's less an issue for me for a movie.
However, there have been occasional times when I've read the book and then seen the movie and... a particular character shows up for the first time in the movie (if I don't know the specific casting in advance), and all of a sudden, there is a disconnect: "THAT is NOT how <character in the book> looked in my mind!" The first time I remember that happening was when I was quite young, with Gone with the Wind. When the Ashley character first appears, I was genuinely startled. THAT was NOT how Ashley looked! :shock:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.