Turbotax "support" is the worst!

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
leftcoaster

Turbotax "support" is the worst!

Post by leftcoaster »

I hit a software bug and spent 30 minutes trying to sort it out. Finally called TT support and got a gentleman in India who spent 45 minutes going over the same information at least 8 times on a screen share.

He finally transferred me to someone in the US who fumbled with her phone handset for 3 minutes. For any simple sentence, this woman would speak 5 but, as I say, she kept fumbling with her handset.

I had already told her that I was on the call for 50 minutes and that I needed to move it along. She launched a tirade about how she wouldn't speak to an "abusive" customer and hung up on me.

That the software is buggy is pretty evident. In the help section, the English is garbled with ungrammatical sentences and misspelling and of course the software does not work.

So... what are my options for replacing TT?
twh

Re: Turbotax "support" is the worst!

Post by twh »

Figure out a workaround or wait until they hopefully fix it.

Over the years, I've hit a snag or two. You can usually get around them going to Forms mode and doing what needs to be done manually.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Did you post on an Internet forum such as theirs asking about the bug you found?
Is there a workaround?

Yeah, low paying customer support is long dead with plenty of better paying jobs available for people who have even average personal skills. Anyone who can get a job that does not require dealing with customers by phone will try to find something better leaving only those who can't.
BogleTaxPro

Post by BogleTaxPro »

There are a number of other options, but there's no guarantee that you won't find bugs and/or problematic customer support in those. You're better off asking this community about the bug that you found and if we know of a workaround.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

BogleTaxPro wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:49 am There are a number of other options, but there's no guarantee that you won't find bugs and/or problematic customer support in those. You're better off asking this community about the bug that you found and if we know of a workaround.
This is also the time of year when tax software bugs are uncovered by eager early filers. Sometimes the best strategy is to step away and wait for the dust to settle. I realize that some may have deadlines or just want to get it behind them but if not, waiting a few more weeks often solves many issues [a wise mentor of mine, early in my career advised me that 80% of the time when you see a problem, the right answer is to do nothing; I've found that pretty accurate]
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

leftcoaster wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:30 am I hit a software bug and spent 30 minutes trying to sort it out. Finally called TT support and got a gentleman in India who spent 45 minutes going over the same information at least 8 times on a screen share.

He finally transferred me to someone in the US who fumbled with her phone handset for 3 minutes. For any simple sentence, this woman would speak 5 but, as I say, she kept fumbling with her handset.

I had already told her that I was on the call for 50 minutes and that I needed to move it along. She launched a tirade about how she wouldn't speak to an "abusive" customer and hung up on me.

That the software is buggy is pretty evident. In the help section, the English is garbled with ungrammatical sentences and misspelling and of course the software does not work.

So... what are my options for replacing TT?
42 million people use turbotax, and only you were called out as an abusive customer? :twisted: :mrgreen: Sure there was no other way to handle it differently?
Time is the ultimate currency.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

The Intuit TurboTax Community forum is really good. I would try a post there with a very good and detailed write up on how to set up the behavior you are seeing, so that they can replicate it to help you out. Maybe post it here as well, you never know.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

Agree with above post about the helpfulness of the TT user community. I’ve called their support line once about how to enter a mega-backdoor Roth conversion. Left my number, and they called back a few hours later with helpful advice.

I haven’t encountered any “bugs” in the Deluxe version I’ve used for past 25 years. Some things might be easier if I switched to Premiere — but I’m too cheap. Haven’t compared to any other software.
Last edited by Doctor Rhythm on Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

leftcoaster wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:30 amSo... what are my options for replacing TT?
Read the IRS Instructions and use a hand calculator?

HRBlock Tax-Prep?

Either way I think one will live longer if they don't get upset enough to post on the internet about how they have their time wasted.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

You are better off searching online for a solution.

I wouldn’t expect top notch support from DIY software.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
wwhan

Post by wwhan »

I have been using the PC desktop CD version since 1989. Most of the time I can find the answers by searching through the software forms and menus or the Turbotax Forum or Google search. I use Turbotax premier out of habit from dealing with stock options.

I have never talked to any phone or chat support for Turbotax. That would be a nightmare (like Comcast/Xfinity ISP support - the worst).
Last edited by wwhan on Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

You. might like this presentation if you hate TurboTax: https://www.nytimes.com/video/opinion/1 ... eason.html
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
inverter

Post by inverter »

Switch to FreeTaxUSA. [Trolling comment removed by Moderator Misenplace.]

Okay -- I'll get off my soapbox.
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

livesoft wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:49 am You. might like this presentation if you hate TurboTax: https://www.nytimes.com/video/opinion/1 ... eason.html
Sweet video! Thanks for the link.

CyclingDuo
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
urban

Post by urban »

StevieG72 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:40 am I wouldn’t expect top notch support from DIY software.
It is not mutually exclusive. Some years ago I got a very good support over the phone from HR Block.
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

IRS has free fillable forms that you submit online. They worked really well for me - I had always filled the forms out and mailed them in.

Refund in 7 days from submission and acceptance.
Mid-40’s
scifilover

Post by scifilover »

The language problem is common with a lot of software and other issues. When I have difficulty with understanding the agent, I just say over and over "I am sorry, but I cannot understand you" and after 3 or 4 repetitions, I add "please transfer me to another agent".......
Topic Author
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

livesoft wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:49 am You. might like this presentation if you hate TurboTax: https://www.nytimes.com/video/opinion/1 ... eason.html
Required viewing, I think. Should be shown in financial literacy class for school kids.
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

Please don't keep us in suspense....what's the software bug?
Sagenick48

Post by Sagenick48 »

If you think TT is bad, see the alternatives.

Seriously, I was a VITA volunteer, and no program I used, personally or as a volunteer, did as good a job as the
programs the CPA’s used
The market goes up, the market goes down.
JeffAL

Post by JeffAL »

I hit a software bug this year also in my state efile. TT support Had no way to report the bug internally.
JeffAL

Post by JeffAL »

I hit a software bug this year also in my state efile. TT support Had no way to report the bug internally.
chinchin

Post by chinchin »

Sagenick48 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:36 pm If you think TT is bad, see the alternatives.

Seriously, I was a VITA volunteer, and no program I used, personally or as a volunteer, did as good a job as the
programs the CPA’s used
Which program do the CPAs use?
not financial advice
Morgan22

Post by Morgan22 »

I was having issues with TT this year. Probably my fault since I thought the interview questions were not clear on my multi-state filing.
I tried freetaxusa.com and felt it was so much easier to understand. And it ended up being more affordable to file also.
tonyclifton

Post by tonyclifton »

Sagenick48 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:36 pm If you think TT is bad, see the alternatives.

programs the CPA’s used
chinchin wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:41 pm Which program do the CPAs use?
In our State, the IRS provided "TaxWise" for many years and then switched to "Tax Slayer."
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

I switched to Turbotax a few years ago after it took 12 hours online with H&R Block for the highest level support to use my return to discover that my niche cause was not and never would appropriately trigger the correct form. So, you could switch and be similarly unhappy.

I do not want to like Turbotax but, in my experience, TT desktop handles the broadest range of tax situations. So, I do not need to worry about needing to switch programs after I have already made all the entries.

Tax filing season has only been open for two weeks. I have learned to never spend time on a software bug at this point in the year. Walk away for a couple of weeks and the problem will likely be solved for you if it is a bug in the software that affects enough people. However, if it relates to a state return with not a lot of residents and is not a mainstream issue, then you could be waiting a very long time.

I get the frustration. The type of people who frequent BH often have already researched their issue before calling customer service. This may lead us to be more knowledgeable on the specific problem than the first line customer service person. Several years ago, I decided the best way to deal with this was to just get in comfortable clothes on the speaker phone with something else interesting to do or look at while I pleasantly work through the tier 1 person who I realize is just going to have to go through all the prescribed steps before moving me on to someone who can address my problem. Even when the person could help more quickly, a lot of times, they are simply not allowed to go off script.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Oh, as soon as I discovered it was a software bug, I would have lost all hope and concentrated my efforts on either:
a) using the functional parts of the software to "rough it in" and then file by hand
b) purchase another software product or go for one of the freebies

One thing that will absolutely not happen is speedy and ample handling of your bug report. I cannot begin to imagine the amount of process and impediment associated with getting a bug resolved and released in their dev pipeline.

I wouldn't even report it, unless I felt insane enough to purchase Turbotax next year. I'm only using it because Fidelity gave it to me.
Yarlonkol12

Post by Yarlonkol12 »

I did a reverse rollover several years ago and the Turbotax questionnaire got confused and said my form was wrong but there was still an option to continue anyway. It filled in my tax fotms correctly, tt support confirmed the issue when I asked about it.

I did another reverse roll over a few years later and the same issue was there.

Im sure it's probably still there
My posts are for entertainment purposes only.
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

I agree it's horrible. I expect little and have always been underwhelmed. I've only called in a few times, and vowed never to do so again.

My strategy for avoidance is similar to many others - don't start return until late February at the earliest (I typically can't anyway), never file before March (just my personal rule to make life easier) and use their online support community to find answers. As I've realized my rare issues are never really unique - I will let others go first in order to avoid contact with Support. I really have never gotten a sense that TT competitors are consisently better - so I stick with "the devil I know".
talzara

Post by talzara »

Tax preparers use professional tax software. It's a different market with different rules.

Professional tax software can e-file even if you override lines. Unlike consumers, tax professionals cannot wait for the tax software company to fix bugs. Their livelihood depends on being able to e-file their clients' returns.

Professional tax software can attach statements as PDF files. There is an e-file mandate for tax professionals, so they cannot file on paper.

Professional tax software supports every IRS form that has an XML schema for Modernized e-File (MeF), as well as most forms that are only available as PDFs. This is the cost of entry into the professional tax software market. Tax professional will not use software that has missing forms.

The best software has user interfaces that speed up data entry. The software is designed for people who use it 300 times a year, not once a year.
talzara

Post by talzara »

Yarlonkol12 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:52 pm I did a reverse rollover several years ago and the Turbotax questionnaire got confused and said my form was wrong but there was still an option to continue anyway. It filled in my tax fotms correctly, tt support confirmed the issue when I asked about it.

I did another reverse roll over a few years later and the same issue was there.

Im sure it's probably still there
There are bugs I reported 10 years ago that are still in TurboTax. I don't expect Intuit to fix any bugs unless it prevents e-filing.
musicmom

Post by musicmom »

Have used TurboTax deluxe successfully for decades.
This year you must create an Intuit account to use the desktop version (at least).

Bought my CD from Amazon for $45 back in December with a $10 Amazon gift card bundle. Thought I was pretty smart.

Went to load the program and got stuck almost immediately. I apparently already have an Intuit account but don't remember my password. Tried the handy dandy password reset, received the email and added the verification code.....and then it asked for my password AGAIN.

Tried answering all kinds of identity prompts repeatedly. No good.
Finally called support. Nice enough understandable tech made me repeat everything again and then suggested I just create a new account with a new email.

Did that, software loaded. It even found basic info from last year's return to dump into this years so avoided starting from ground zero.

A workaround but also a waste of several hours.
tlveik

Post by tlveik »

talzara wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:27 pm There are bugs I reported 10 years ago that are still in TurboTax. I don't expect Intuit to fix any bugs unless it prevents e-filing.
They must be doing something because about every time I run the program it wants to do an update.
anoop

Post by anoop »

programs the CPA’s used
What do CPAs use?
anoop

Post by anoop »

talzara wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:23 pm
Tax preparers use professional tax software. It's a different market with different rules.

Professional tax software can e-file even if you override lines. Unlike consumers, tax professionals cannot wait for the tax software company to fix bugs. Their livelihood depends on being able to e-file their clients' returns.

Professional tax software can attach statements as PDF files. There is an e-file mandate for tax professionals, so they cannot file on paper.

Professional tax software supports every IRS form that has an XML schema for Modernized e-File (MeF), as well as most forms that are only available as PDFs. This is the cost of entry into the professional tax software market. Tax professional will not use software that has missing forms.

The best software has user interfaces that speed up data entry. The software is designed for people who use it 300 times a year, not once a year.
Is it true there’s a mandate? I thought you can still choose to file by mail even if a tax professional prepares the return.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

talzara wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:23 pm

I worked for a CPA firm for 9 years. Part of my job was doing tax returns during tax season.

The tax software we used was horrible. Far more difficult to use than H&R Block software. Certainly far more capable but horrendous and completely unintuitive to use.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

anoop wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:39 pm

programs the CPA’s used
What do CPAs use?
https://fitsmallbusiness.com/best-tax-s ... preparers/

In my experience a lot of them use CCH (which is in the above article).
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Through the 90s, up until the 90s I was spending $300 a year (equal to about $500 a year now) for both business and individual tax software for both our business and the owner of the business's tax returns.

But once Intuit got so rapacious I refused to buy from them any more and switched to H&R Block. My tax return is never simple and in the subsequent 25 years I've never been not able to complete my tax return.

But I always know what is supposed to show up on all the forms.

If you don't .. then, you might be better off having a professional do your tax return ... the same way I hire people to do most things in the physical world for me, e.g., car work, house repairs.
talzara

Post by talzara »

tlveik wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:35 pm
talzara wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:27 pm There are bugs I reported 10 years ago that are still in TurboTax. I don't expect Intuit to fix any bugs unless it prevents e-filing.
They must be doing something because about every time I run the program it wants to do an update.
I'm more interested in the bugs I report than the bugs that other users report.
talzara

Post by talzara »

anoop wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:42 pm Is it true there’s a mandate? I thought you can still choose to file by mail even if a tax professional prepares the return.
The mandate is on tax professionals. Individual taxpayers are still allowed to file form 1040 on paper. However, Revenue Procedure 2011-25 requires the preparer to obtain a signed statement from the client stating that the taxpayer is choosing to file on paper.
Section 301.6011-7(a)(4)(ii) also provides that an individual income tax return will not be considered to be filed, as defined in § 301.6011-7(a)(4)(i), by a tax return preparer or specified tax return preparer, or the preparer’s firm, if the preparer who prepared the return obtains a hand-signed statement from the taxpayer that states the taxpayer chooses to file the return in paper format and that the taxpayer, and not the preparer, is filing the paper return with the IRS (e.g., submitting it by mail to the IRS).

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/rp-11-25.pdf
anoop

Post by anoop »

vnatale wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:50 pm If you don't .. then, you might be better off having a professional do your tax return ... the same way I hire people to do most things in the physical world for me, e.g., car work, house repairs.
This is not exactly fool proof. They make mistakes too, even on simple returns. In fact, that is the reason I started doing my taxes myself. If I have to gather all the paperwork, fill out their questionnaire (almost the equivalent of the tax software interview), and if I then have to check if all the forms I sent in were accounted for and correctly entered, then what is left? Even with a complex return I assume the same is true. I had a friend who ended up owing thousands in penalties because of a mistake by the CPA.
anoop

Post by anoop »

talzara wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:42 pm
anoop wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:42 pm Is it true there’s a mandate? I thought you can still choose to file by mail even if a tax professional prepares the return.
The mandate is on tax professionals. Individual taxpayers are still allowed to file form 1040 on paper. However, Revenue Procedure 2011-25 requires the preparer to obtain a signed statement from the client stating that the taxpayer is choosing to file on paper.
That makes sense and matches my experience.