Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2024!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2024!

Post by Miriam2 »

margaritaville wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:27 pm Last day was today. It was kind of strange. As I walked out of the building I dropped my access cards and security badge in a little wooden box at the security desk. It was hard to actually let them go and watch them fall into the box. The gal at the desk chuckled and said "get on with it". It was a weird rush of emotions as I walked out the glass doors for the last time and I wasn't expecting it, but I shed a couple of tears as I walked to the truck. No regrets and it was time, but I'll miss a few of the excellent folks I worked with. The others, not so much :D
Oh that's a great Last Day of Work story! But I understand fully :happy The last day before retirement is a real milestone in life and that "CLUNK" of your access cards and security badge in the little wooden box at the security table is like the last sad straw of a lifetime of good work :(

Well, your security lady is right, gotta "get on with it" - sounds easy but not so easy. Before you know it, however, you'll enjoy your freedom from access cards, security badges, and schedules :beer

Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call, margaritaville, and we hope you have a long, healthy wonderful retirement :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Thank you LadyGeek for posting the Bogleheads YouTube video of our recent Boglehead's meeting with Jill Steinberg (see earlier thread) :happy
LadyGeek wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:52 pm The recorded meeting is now on YouTube. See: Bogleheads® Chapter Series –Jill Steinberg- Finding Purpose in Retirement: From retiring to rewiring

The anonymized meeting chat has been uploaded to the Bogle Center's SharePoint site. Note: When sharing links, only use the links shown in the blog or YouTube channel. When clicking on those links, Microsoft changes the link and you can't use it again. Don't blame me. That's how SharePoint works.

Anonymized chat: https://boglecenter.sharepoint.com/:b:/ ... Q?e=R25crp <-- will be different than what you see in your web browser.

Code: Select all

https://boglecenter.sharepoint.com/:b:/s/Bogleheads/ETuEkPAdvbFPiJiNrWIa7PIBfkWnkEV6bLSVKOtWjoIv0Q?e=R25crp
Online content for all of the chapter meetings can be found in the Bogleheads blog: Virtual online chapter presentations
pop77

Post by pop77 »

If all stars are aligned, mine will be in 2025. Are there any considerations in terms of best month/date ? I have some RSU's expiring, during the year, can I time it after this? Should I wait for my birthday (I will turn 55) in 2025? Appreciate any insights.
Grifin

Post by Grifin »

Last day is 2/16/2024 at 45

Officially, I am resigning to take a 6 month sabbatical. In reality, I am considering the option to retire depending on how it goes. I see it as a test drive before I join Ms, Grifin whom retired in Aug 2023.

Will keep y’all updated

Cheers,
Grifin
loghound

Post by loghound »

Well it's hard to believe but my last (full) day is tomorrow Feb 1,2024. My actual last day of work is Feb 2nd but that's a Friday and it's mostly a quick exit interview and dropping off my computer & badge.

At 59 I'm not exactly "early retirement" but I'm "early-adjacent" -- I owe a lot to the boglehead philosophy of saving & investing, live within your means, own broad diversified portfolio and don't try market timing. FWIW I eventually found the financial side of things sort of easy -- I mean once you understand enough it's mostly just a math problem. What was really hard was wrapping you head around 'who am I if I am not a XX employee?' -- I have a lot of thoughts on that topic but I'll save it for another day.

As a life-long engineer I'm excited to have free time to explore my more creative side, I'm going to help tutor at a local community college in Math & Science, continue volunteering at Canine Companions (maybe raise another puppy for them if I can convince my wife!), spend more time with my 91 year old father, my DW and I have some fun trips planned, and I was fortunate that they asked me to contract back about a day a week (which I will enjoy) so I think I've got enough to keep me busy!

I really want to thank this amazing community, there are some truly amazing people who really helped me with both the financial side but also the more holistic side of retirement, I feel like I have a second degree in financial planning with all of the wisdom I've collected (I'm looking at you @longinvest)
I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time. | - Blaise Pascal
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

“Unplugging” from the corporate world on 2/29/2024, after 29 years in the corporate world. I will be 57 years old.

My spouse and I plan to volunteer at the local animal shelter, our church, the local food bank, etc. I have always wanted to be a “philanthropist” and “give back” to society by volunteering our time to help others in need. We also plan to enjoy leisurely late breakfasts with friends and hike and play golf more often. Low key retirement, just the way we planned.

Thanks to all for the relevant advice on this forum!
“Stay the Course” - My Portfolio (BND, FXNAX, MGV, VT, VXUS), Spouse’s Portfolio (BND, VEA, VGSH, VOO)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: Advice for Pre-retirees & Retirees- Roundtable meeting- Wed Feb 7, 2024- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Please join the Pre/Early Retirement and Retirement Life Stage Chapters as they present an open Roundtable Discussion Part I: Advice for Pre-Retirees and Retirees zoom meeting on Wed. Feb. 7, 2024, at 8:00 pm ET. This meeting is Part I of a 2-part series.

8:00 pm Eastern | 7:00 pm Central | 6:00 pm Mountain | 5:00 pm Pacific

*** Part II of the Roundtable Discussion will be on Wed Feb. 21, 2024, at 8:00 pm ET. Details for that meeting will be posted closer to the meeting and please note there is a different zoom link for the Feb 21st meeting.

Both meetings will use the Bogleheads Conference videos from the 2023 Bogleheads Conference in Baltimore. These videos contain excellent presentations and discussions about retirement for pre-retirees and retirees. To leverage this wealth of material, the meeting will discuss this video which you can view here before the meeting - Bogleheads® Conference 2023 - Advice for Pre-Retirees and Retirees: A Roundtable Discussion. The meeting will open with the opportunity for everyone to participate in the video discussion and ask questions.

Due to the span of topics presented in the Conference video, only the first half will be covered in this Part I, Feb 7th meeting, with the second half covered in the Part II meeting on Feb 21st.

The discussion topics for this Part I meeting on Feb. 7, 2024, include:
  • The current environment for new retirees: mostly positive
  • Calculating retirement readiness, including probability-based analyses
  • How long-time savers can get comfortable with (see also 26:29)
  • Long-term care costs: self-funding vs insurance options
  • Consider giving to kids and grandkids earlier in their lives
  • Bonds vs. cash, and bond risks in general
  • Laddered individual bonds vs. bond funds
Targeted audience: Pre/Early Retirement and Retirement Life Stages - but everyone is always welcome :happy

HERE is the zoom link for the Part I meeting on Feb. 7, 2024, and the full zoom link is below and also posted on the Bogleheads Calendar of Events

Please let me know if you have any questions 8-)
Miriam2

The Bogle Center is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting on Wed Feb 7, 2024.

Topic: Roundtable Discussion Part I: Bogleheads® Conference 2023 - Advice for Pre-Retirees and Retirees
Time: Wed. Feb. 7, 2024- 8:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Feb 7 Zoom Meeting -
https://us06web.zoom.us/j/89230689224?p ... bb1aubcB.1

Meeting ID: 892 3068 9224
Passcode: 561909

One tap mobile
+16469313860,,89230689224#,,,,*561909# US
+19292056099,,89230689224#,,,,*561909# US (New York)

Dial by your location
• +1 646 931 3860 US
• +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
• +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
• +1 305 224 1968 US
• +1 309 205 3325 US
• +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
• +1 507 473 4847 US
• +1 564 217 2000 US
• +1 669 444 9171 US
• +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
• +1 689 278 1000 US
• +1 719 359 4580 US
• +1 253 205 0468 US
• +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
• +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
• +1 360 209 5623 US
• +1 386 347 5053 US

Meeting ID: 892 3068 9224
Passcode: 561909

Find your local number: https://us06web.zoom.us/u/kbOPuZPdGQ
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

At the last minute, we decided to not record the meeting due to privacy concerns.

The anonymized meeting chat has been uploaded to the Bogle Center's SharePoint site.

Note: When sharing links, only use the links shown in the blog or YouTube channel. When clicking on those links, Microsoft changes the link and you can't use it again. Don't blame me. That's how SharePoint works.

Anonymized chat: https://boglecenter.sharepoint.com/:b:/ ... Q?e=WwEv7v <-- will be different than what you see in your web browser.

Code: Select all

https://boglecenter.sharepoint.com/:b:/s/Bogleheads/EeiqFEHp5sxIuZiXY8uKteEBKmDTF0QWfZ9W490gDgICoQ?e=WwEv7v
Online content for all of the chapter meetings can be found in the Bogleheads blog: Virtual online chapter presentations
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
hornet74

Post by hornet74 »

Miriam2 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:42 pm
hornet74 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:27 am Estimated July 1st
Age 50

What comes next? Relaxing, hikes and walks and more travel.
Hello hornet74 - and a big Welcome to this Upcoming Retirement Class of 2024 8-) Can you believe it?! Next year at this time you'll be feverishly putting the final touches on your retirement papers and plans. Hope your glidepath into retirement goes smoothly, keep us posted on your hikes and adventures, and enjoy this very special time of life.
You weren't kidding. Trying to tie it all together!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

longinvest wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:59 pm It's official! First day of retirement June 1st, 2024 at age 56. I'll be using the VPW worksheet, of course. :D
Wow longinvest! Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call and this Great Class of 2024 - now you can put all your hard work preparing the VPW into action!

And you're much too modest, longinvest :happy

For the last 10 years, longinvest has created, invented, fiddled with and updated worksheets, spreadsheets and graphs in many sizes and colors, for stocks and bonds and everything in between, then posted them here on the BH forum for all of us to learn from and use :D

Variable Percentage Withdrawal (VPW)

A Simple Bogleheads Retirement Using Variable Percentage Withdrawals (VPW Forward Test)

The One-Fund Portfolio as a default suggestion

The VPW Accumulation Worksheet

Historical Bond Returns - From Rates to Returns [Bond Fund Simulator]

A Returns Spreadsheet for Bogleheads

longinvest wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:37 am Retirement funding can be simple. It's sufficient to combine income from Social Security (possibly delayed to age 70) and a pension (if any) with portfolio withdrawals from a balanced Bogleheads portfolio using a sensible approach.

This thread will illustrate a simple Bogleheads retirement approach by doing what we call a forward test, which is a simulation starting today (June 30, 2019) with a well-defined plan but unknown future portfolio returns. We'll simply look, month after month, at how the reality unfolds.
Big thanks, longinvest, for these incredible works of financial art - hope you continue with these as you enjoy your retirement. And remember, the BH forum just celebrated Taylor Larimore's 100th birthday, so in today's world, portfolios gotta last a loooong time :beer

Best wishes for a very wonderful retirement and keep us up-to-date on your adventures!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

pop77 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:48 am If all stars are aligned, mine will be in 2025. Are there any considerations in terms of best month/date ? I have some RSU's expiring, during the year, can I time it after this? Should I wait for my birthday (I will turn 55) in 2025? Appreciate any insights.
It's good you posted your question in a stand-alone thread Timing Month of Retirement for more ideas :D and we're hoping the stars are aligned for you to be first on the 2025 Retirement Class Roster!
miriamele

Post by miriamele »

Count me in! I'm on the countdown to March 31, 2024. Age 51 so this is a bit of a test run so we will see how it goes. I'm sorry I missed that chapter meeting now!

Thanks for all the support.
ondarvr

Post by ondarvr »

It will be this year some time after June when my wife hits 65.

No hard date yet, but before the end of the year. The quality of the knowledge I've gained from this forum couldn't be replicated anywhere else.
So thank you.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Grifin wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:28 pm Last day is 2/16/2024 at 45

Officially, I am resigning to take a 6 month sabbatical. In reality, I am considering the option to retire depending on how it goes. I see it as a test drive before I join Ms, Grifin whom retired in Aug 2023.

Will keep y’all updated

Cheers,
Grifin
OK Grifin - you're on the 2024 Class Roster - Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call! A sabbatical is as good as a retirement and a retirement test drive sounds like a nice idea, especially for the early age 45 punch out. What are you thinking about for those years ahead of you?

Wow! Feb 16 is only two days away! Please let us know how everything goes. We wish you good luck with everything and a great sabbatical and an even better retirement :beer
deserat

Post by deserat »

22 Jun 24 - end of contract, move back to USA, retired. Pretty much all set; bit of apprehension about transition, but know I will do fine.

Thanks to this community and early retirement forum for specific knowledge, virtual support and great stories.
mrb09

Post by mrb09 »

Hi Miriam,

As of yesterday, I am now successfully terminally unemployed. Please mark me down as retired on 2/15 for the class of 2024!

Off to wack on the the wood in my workshop this morning instead of status calls…
longinvest

Post by longinvest »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:14 am Wow longinvest! Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call and this Great Class of 2024 - now you can put all your hard work preparing the VPW into action!
Thanks, Miriam! I'm looking forward to putting the retirement worksheet in practice.
Miriam2 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:14 am And you're much too modest, longinvest :happy

For the last 10 years, longinvest has created, invented, fiddled with and updated worksheets, spreadsheets and graphs in many sizes and colors, for stocks and bonds and everything in between, then posted them here on the BH forum for all of us to learn from and use :D

Variable Percentage Withdrawal (VPW)

A Simple Bogleheads Retirement Using Variable Percentage Withdrawals (VPW Forward Test)

The One-Fund Portfolio as a default suggestion

The VPW Accumulation Worksheet

Historical Bond Returns - From Rates to Returns [Bond Fund Simulator]

A Returns Spreadsheet for Bogleheads

longinvest wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:37 am Retirement funding can be simple. It's sufficient to combine income from Social Security (possibly delayed to age 70) and a pension (if any) with portfolio withdrawals from a balanced Bogleheads portfolio using a sensible approach.

This thread will illustrate a simple Bogleheads retirement approach by doing what we call a forward test, which is a simulation starting today (June 30, 2019) with a well-defined plan but unknown future portfolio returns. We'll simply look, month after month, at how the reality unfolds.
Big thanks, longinvest, for these incredible works of financial art - hope you continue with these as you enjoy your retirement.
None of the above would have been possible without having learned a lot about investing, uncertainty, and the wisdom of letting go of "optimization" in favor of "good enough", as well as so many other things, in this forum.

Financially, the transition into retirement should be smooth. I have been using an income cushion (similar to the forward test, but on an after-tax basis and adapted to accumulation) for a few years, already. So, money available for spending, for the first month of retirement (June 2024), will simply come from the income cushion, as usual. It's only the source of monthly money to refill the cushion that will change to (portfolio withdrawal + pension) instead of (paychecks - portfolio contribution). I sent my retirement letter in mid-January and I got a reply from human resources in mid-February telling me they'll send me forms (to choose pension options) to fill at some point in March. Theoretically, I should receive my first employer pension payment during the month of June. We'll see how that goes. It's a process.
Miriam2 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:14 am And remember, the BH forum just celebrated Taylor Larimore's 100th birthday, so in today's world, portfolios gotta last a loooong time :beer
Including the possibility of long life (wife or me) is absolutely part of our financial plan. If we're still alive at age 80, we'll consider the possibility of starting to buy life annuities (SPIA) with no more than 10% of the portfolio per year.
Miriam2 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:14 am Best wishes for a very wonderful retirement and keep us up-to-date on your adventures!
Thanks. It must have taken you a lot of time to collect all these threads for your post. You're so nice, Miriam!
Variable Percentage Withdrawal (bogleheads.org/wiki/VPW) | One-Fund Portfolio (bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=287967)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: BH meeting- Part II-Advice for Pre-retirees & Retirees- Wed Feb 21, 2024- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Please join the Pre/Early Retirement and Retirement Life Stage Chapters as they present Part II of the open Roundtable Discussion Part II: Advice for Pre-Retirees and Retirees zoom meeting on Wed. Feb. 21, 2024, at 8:00 pm ET. This meeting is Part II of the 2-part series.

*** Part I of the Roundtable Discussion was held on Wed Feb. 7, 2024. To encourage candid discussion, neither the Part I nor the Part II zoom meetings are being recorded.

Both meetings use the Bogleheads Conference videos from the 2023 Bogleheads Conference in Baltimore. These videos contain excellent presentations and discussions about retirement for pre-retirees and retirees. To leverage this wealth of material, the meeting will discuss this video - which you can view here before the meeting - Bogleheads® Conference 2023 - "Advice for Pre-Retirees and Retirees: A Roundtable Discussion."[/u] The zoom meeting format gives everyone the opportunity to participate in the video discussion and ask questions about retirement topics.

Topics from the second half of the Conference video that will be covered on Feb 21 include:

-- Pre-retirees: traditional or Roth retirement contributions
-- Tax-efficient drawdown strategy
-- Pay off home mortgage before retirement?
-- Funded ratio tool for retirement readiness
-- Retirement contributions when one spouse is still working
-- Spend more now and also work longer?
-- How often to take distributions in retirement
-- Best DIY tools for retirement planning

Targeted audience: Pre/Early Retirement and Retirement Life Stages - but everyone is always welcome. Retirement will be here before you know it!

HERE is the zoom link for the Part II meeting on Feb. 21, 2024, and the full zoom link is below and also posted on the Bogleheads Calendar of Events.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Miriam2

The Bogle Center is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: PART 2 Discussion- Advice for Pre-Retirees & Retirees- from BH Conference 2023
Time: Wed Feb 21, 2024 - 8:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting -
https://us06web.zoom.us/j/89608990558?p ... UBXl0iG6.1

Meeting ID: 896 0899 0558
Passcode: 439278

One tap mobile
+13052241968,,89608990558#,,,,*439278# US
+13126266799,,89608990558#,,,,*439278# US (Chicago)

Dial by your location
• +1 305 224 1968 US
• +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
• +1 646 931 3860 US
• +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
• +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
• +1 309 205 3325 US
• +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
• +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
• +1 669 900 6833 US (Sc

Meeting ID: 896 0899 0558
Passcode: 439278

Find your local number: https://us06web.zoom.us/u/kbg7mXiuLJ
Boglecurious

Post by Boglecurious »

New Boglehead member (tho I have been perusing the forum for a few years) and hoping to retire June or July of this year, after I put a few more paychecks into my Roth. 65 years old. Nervous, honestly, but my spouse is younger and will work for a few more years. We live in a HCOL area (California) which is beautiful but does make one think twice about retiring.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I’m done March 8th, 2024. I’m 55.

Very pleased to be in the same class as Longinvest. I’ll also be using the VPW methodology, and the truly wonderful spreadsheet that Longinvest maintains and explains so patiently. A real boglehead gem!

All the best to everybody!
yoga

Post by yoga »

Normchad wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:26 pm I’m done March 8th, 2024. I’m 55.

Very pleased to be in the same class as Longinvest. I’ll also be using the VPW methodology, and the truly wonderful spreadsheet that Longinvest maintains and explains so patiently. A real boglehead gem!

All the best to everybody!
Congrats 🎉! You are one of my favorite posters. Wishing you the best and excited to hear the tales of your wonderful retirement.