What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
MisterBill

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by MisterBill »

Bought some pain reliever cream for my wife at Walmart today using my Medicare Advantage plan's OTC benefit. Paid $35 (but it was free to me since we each get $40 per quarter) and got back $7 from Ibotta and $8.50 from Shopmium (both rebate apps). So I monetized $15.50 of the benefit and we got the product that she needed.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

MisterBill wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:12 pm Bought some pain reliever cream for my wife at Walmart today using my Medicare Advantage plan's OTC benefit. Paid $35 (but it was free to me since we each get $40 per quarter) and got back $7 from Ibotta and $8.50 from Shopmium (both rebate apps). So I monetized $15.50 of the benefit and we got the product that she needed.
You get a GOLD star for that one!
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

Donated many usable items to Goodwill today. Old clothes, old electronics, books, kitchen items, old bedding.

Donated $ to the local animal shelter. (My spouse and I love pets!)
“Stay the Course” - My Portfolio (BND, FXNAX, MGV, VT, VXUS), Spouse’s Portfolio (BND, VEA, VGSH, VOO)
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Chv396 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:02 pm Donated many usable items to Goodwill today. Old clothes, old electronics, books, kitchen items, old bedding.

I always tell everyone I can live alone without people but not without pets!
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

After researching home audio equipment for months, I finally purchased some entry level equipment with frugality in mind. Mind you, audiophile equipment runs into the thousands of dollars. I purchased a Fosi Audio BT20A Pro ($79.99) and 2 Sony SSCS5 bookshelf speakers on sale for $129.99. $210 to start! Next I'll grab a cable to run a $300 monoprice 15" sub off the pre out. Whole 2.1 system for $500!
Light weight baby!
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

Chv396 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:02 pm Donated many usable items to Goodwill today. Old clothes, old electronics, books, kitchen items, old bedding.

Both great things to do.

I do a lot of grocery deals where I get stuff for free (or better) using the rebate apps and coupons. If I am able to get something free or better (and that includes sales tax) and can't use it (which is often the case), we give it to the local food pantry (food and pet items) and Goodwill (household and HBA stuff since the pantry does not take those). Both are thrilled to get my donations. My wife used to work at Goodwill, and they love it when she shows up with boxes because they can put the stuff right out on the floor and sell it.
TheRoundHeadedKid

Post by TheRoundHeadedKid »

This is more like what frugal thing did I do for the month. I did not buy anything other than groceries, household consumables, and fuel with my discretionary income. I made do with the stuff that I already have. I've reached the end of accumulating stuff in my life.
All 86 Vanguard ETFs equally invested.
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

Sometimes, I feel that way also!
:D :D
vnatale wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:08 pm

I always tell everyone I can live alone without people but not without pets!
“Stay the Course” - My Portfolio (BND, FXNAX, MGV, VT, VXUS), Spouse’s Portfolio (BND, VEA, VGSH, VOO)
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

Thank you! Some good ideas you have, thanks for sharing! :D

MisterBill wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:05 pm

Both great things to do.

I do a lot of grocery deals where I get stuff for free (or better) using the rebate apps and coupons. If I am able to get something free or better (and that includes sales tax) and can't use it (which is often the case), we give it to the local food pantry (food and pet items) and Goodwill (household and HBA stuff since the pantry does not take those). Both are thrilled to get my donations. My wife used to work at Goodwill, and they love it when she shows up with boxes because they can put the stuff right out on the floor and sell it.
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:32 am
TravellingTechOnFire wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:12 pm Cut my own hair, as I've done for as long as I can remember. Scary to think how much I haven't spent over the years.

Clippers weren't working great, but are a fairly good quality set. Googled how to sharpen the blades. Took the blades off, cleaned everything, and sharpened the blades on a sharpening stone. Was really easy and probably only took 15 minutes. I had a 2nd older set that had quit working many years ago, before I began working on being frugal, hence the 2nd set. Son cleaned and sharpened that one too and now it's working great. My son has been using mine so now he has his own set.

If anyone does this, or needs to, a good tip I found is to color the blade surface with a sharpie. When the black is all gone, sharpening is done and no area has been missed.
I can not believe how much some of my buddies pay to get their hair cut, in some cases $50-$100 every few weeks for a trim and shave. Then multiple that by how many family members you have in your house :shock: The cost to cut my hair in the last 25yrs since I left home: ~$70 for two pairs of clippers. I did it myself until I got married. Wife has become pretty skilled and will even cut some neighbors'/friends' hair now.

That reminds me, I'm filming several times for work next week, which means wifey needs to clean up my mop.
This is something I picked up after I had a kid, first to cut his hair while he watches TV rather than pay 30 bucks and me trying to keep him in chair. Soon I realized I can do this in 20 mins rather than go wait at barber for 30 mins. We still occasionally get it done outside, but that was under $200 for entire family last year. (50% of that was wife's 2 hair cuts)
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

Purchased Italian sub sandwiches for lunch today at a local Italian place. Bought one, got the second for 25% off. One for me and one for my spouse. They are pretty large, we will enjoy half for lunch and save half for dinner tonight! :sharebeer :D
sherwink

Post by sherwink »

My wife and I didn't leave the house today. Yeah, we're geezers.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Follow up to "Replacement anode rod for standing pilot light water heater": viewtopic.php?p=7653115#p7653115

Gotchas.
--Mon. Young plumber showed up without tools, he thought I had them. Rescheduled for Fri/today.
--Fri. Business owner showed up with tools, except for needed socket to remove/install anode. He'd tried to find one locally, but no joy. Told him I'd bought one with anode kit. He used it; it worked.
--The old anode was a bear to remove. No way could I have removed it by myself.

See "This Old House: How to Change a Water Heater Anode Rod": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IUNIUZz4Os
--Mr Trethewey used ~4' cheater pipe to break loose old anode.
--My plumber's cheater pipe was ~30", so he and I strained (me holding back on WH) much more than Mr Trethewey.

Mr Trethewey says the anode is standard on all WHs (installed in third port), and requires a 1-1/16" socket to remove/install.
The socket in my anode kit was 27mm; it seemed to fit nicely, worked well, no problems noted.

Result.
--New anode installed so it'd be easier to remove next time: heavy pressure on socket wrench (no cheater pipe), WH didn't twist while anode tightened.
--My old anode was partially consumed at its top and bottom, but ~95% intact, could easily have gone 10-15yrs (another 4-9yrs). It did have a few calcium spots growing on it, but nothing bad. Had to be cut (hacksaw) to remove (low basement ceiling).
--Plan to schedule next replace in 10yrs.
--Plumber charged $150 (= ~$30 trip charge + ~$120/hr). Worth it to scratch this itch.

Plumber was interesting guy, has 401k for employees, likes personal investing, owns some rental property, didn't know about BHs, invited him to visit.

ToDo lists. See: viewtopic.php?p=7634137#p7634137
--Updated bottom entry on my PC's ToDo list: "Jan 2034 Call plumber to replace WH anode."
--Updated checklist on WH with anode change and next replacement due date.

Was a good day.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

YeahBuddy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:34 pm After researching home audio equipment for months, I finally purchased some entry level equipment with frugality in mind. Mind you, audiophile equipment runs into the thousands of dollars. I purchased a Fosi Audio BT20A Pro ($79.99) and 2 Sony SSCS5 bookshelf speakers on sale for $129.99. $210 to start! Next I'll grab a cable to run a $300 monoprice 15" sub off the pre out. Whole 2.1 system for $500!
Sounds good!

Meanwhile I'm still using the four huge Infinity speakers in my living room that I bought for $1,000 a pair in the late 80s. All running through a late 90s Yamaha home theater thing that I bought at a tag sale for $5. The sound is so exceptional that when watching a TV show and I heard the sounds of a car on gravel I jumped because it sounded like it was real, outside of my house and wondered who it could be.
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

vnatale wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:10 pm
YeahBuddy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:34 pm After researching home audio equipment for months, I finally purchased some entry level equipment with frugality in mind. Mind you, audiophile equipment runs into the thousands of dollars. I purchased a Fosi Audio BT20A Pro ($79.99) and 2 Sony SSCS5 bookshelf speakers on sale for $129.99. $210 to start! Next I'll grab a cable to run a $300 monoprice 15" sub off the pre out. Whole 2.1 system for $500!
Sounds good!

Meanwhile I'm still using the four huge Infinity speakers in my living room that I bought for $1,000 a pair in the late 80s. All running through a late 90s Yamaha home theater thing that I bought at a tag sale for $5. The sound is so exceptional that when watching a TV show and I heard the sounds of a car on gravel I jumped because it sounded like it was real, outside of my house and wondered who it could be.

I love this! It's a fun hobby. None of my equipment ever survived moves, cats, or other life events. Cheers!
Light weight baby!
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

So my Flovent has been discontinued from the manufacturer. MD changed order to 60 day QVAR script which rang up at $100.
Contacted MD for generic Flovent and saved $75!
Light weight baby!
Wading Ashore

Post by Wading Ashore »

I guess this incident was a combination of deliberate and inadvertent frugality:
I put in a $100+ order to Amazon Fresh to qualify for free delivery by purchasing larger quantities that are more economical in any case.
No delivery!
Amazon messaged at 8.40p that the order had been delivered, which it most certainly was not.
At 9p I tried to get the order refunded online - non-refundable. Finally got through to a rep.
Not only did they refund the cost of the order, they issued a $20 "promotional credit" for my trouble.
So I'm $20 to the good, but I don't have any groceries. Oh, well, you can't have everything in this life.
Jack shall have Jill, nought shall go ill; the man shall have his mare again, and all shall be well.
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

Big storm outside, stayed in and prepared breakfast:: bacon, eggs, toasted English muffins with strawberry jam, fresh fruits, OJ and coffee.
headedwest

Post by headedwest »

I cancelled Sling TV that was costing $42/month and ordered a refurbished cable modem/wifi router for $50 so I won't have to rent one from Xfinity at $15/month. I'll still be streaming with ad-supported Netflix and Hulu (Black Friday deal for $.99/month), and I have an antenna for local broadcast channels, etc. The new router is on Xfinity's approved list, so it should work fine. Fingers crossed I won't have any installation issues.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I checked my state’s unclaimed property website a few weeks back and found my name listed. So I filed for the property and today I got the check: $12 :D
Last edited by Nicolas on Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I never knew what true happiness was until I got married, and then it was too late. — Dick Biondi
kelway

Post by kelway »

I created the most boring custom Burger King whopper in their new contest just so I could get a $1 Impossible Whopper for lunch and paired it with my Panera drink subscription. It allowed me to beat the Costco hot dog and drink $1.50 special. I rule.
RangersFan

Post by RangersFan »

I was approved for the Southwest Visa Card which comes with a sign up bonus of 30k SW points PLUS a companion pass upon completion of $4k spend within 90 days. The companion pass has unlimited uses through 2/28/25. Well worth the $69 annual fee.
Mayacallie

Post by Mayacallie »

Drove 20 miles to see my favorite Honda mechanic in Phoenix, and thus avoiding dealerships that are much closer. Saved $500 on a timing belt that should take my 2015 Odyssey to 200,000 miles easily. He has an award board for those cars above 250000. Hopefully I’ll get there!
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

I checked my grocery receipt in the car and went back for my $5 because I got charged $7.99/lb for green beans again.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

I made a grocery purchase for $19.17 then double stacked coupons & ended up paying $8.17!
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Beensabu wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:21 pm I checked my grocery receipt in the car and went back for my $5 because I got charged $7.99/lb for green beans again.
[emphasis added]

When this happens, with the repeat, I *really* wonder about how much of a "mistake" it is...

How many others did NOT return or maybe never noticed at all?
How much extra money is that shop collecting? And on what other products, too?

Many of these costs are programmed into the computerized system, and the product scan determines what price will be returned from that "system".

:annoyed

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Beensabu wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:21 pm I checked my grocery receipt in the car and went back for my $5 because I got charged $7.99/lb for green beans again.
I ALWAYS look at mine before existing the store.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

ResearchMed wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:30 pm
[emphasis added]

When this happens, with the repeat, I *really* wonder about how much of a "mistake" it is...
It is absolutely a legitimate mistake on the human end. It's just typing in the wrong produce code that shows next to the right code on their little chart in teeny tiny font. They have to move so fast at rush times - and they're not robots. At a different store, I once accidentally got charged $20 for a dozen roses because that code was right next to the "void" code they put in for accidentally scanning something twice.

If certain codes are placed right next to each other to take advantage of legitimate human manual error, I do not know.

Last time this happened to me, I started a thread about green bean inflation before I figured out it was a mistake. :D That was at least a year ago, I think.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Beensabu wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:11 pm
[emphasis added]

It is absolutely a legitimate mistake on the human end. It's just typing in the wrong produce code that shows next to the right code on their little chart in teeny tiny font. They have to move so fast at rush times - and they're not robots. At a different store, I once accidentally got charged $20 for a dozen roses because that code was right next to the "void" code they put in for accidentally scanning something twice.

If certain codes are placed right next to each other to take advantage of legitimate human manual error, I do not know.

Last time this happened to me, I started a thread about green bean inflation before I figured out it was a mistake. :D That was at least a year ago, I think.

My first experience with this was quite a while ago, but I never forgot it.
I went to grocer A to get the special on carrots, which were advertised as something like 5 pounds for $1.00.
As I was watching, I saw them ring up as $1.00 per pound, meaning a total of $5.00.

I pointed out the error, and then watched the clerk re-ring them, with an automated... $1.00 per pound showing up.

I spoke with the store manager who assured me the clerk made an error.
I asked him to scan the carrots on another register. Same thing: $1.00 per pound.
He assured me he'd fix it.
Uh huh.

I went back much later in the day, and the carrots were still ringing up at $1.00 per pound, despite the ads for 5 pounds for $1.00, inluding the sigh right at the carrot/produce section.

Right. :annoyed
This was a very large, very high volume supermarket.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

DS and I cleaned my gutters today. It took the two of us two hours to finish the job including clean up and I doubt anybody else could have done a better job.

I don't know how much I saved, but I also don't know anybody who would be willing to pay me what it would take to get me to do that to their gutters.
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

[emphasis added]

How many others did NOT return or maybe never noticed at all?
How much extra money is that shop collecting? And on what other products, too?

Many of these costs are programmed into the computerized system, and the product scan determines what price will be returned from that "system".

:annoyed

RM
Former grocery worker, half a century ago, virtually every item had its price marked on the package with the exception being some produce items. Once in a while we would ask to do a price check to see if shelf tag was different from higher marked price. It happened occasionally, as we changed, usually raised, prices often. Cashiers became knowledgeable about prices and sales often suggesting to customers about more cost effective options.

With today's unpriced products but with just UPC codes, the lack of quality control regarding how the data base of prices is maintained has been annoying as I have found myself having to question prices, often on sale prices every few weeks. It is hard to keep an eye on the register screen for appropriate prices as the computer seems to award some discounts as the sale is completed. That leaves you to trying to scan a receipt for errors and then being stuck at the customer service counter if you cannot spot the error before the sale is completed. When I pick up an item that has a price that seems almost too good to be true I'll often take a pic of the shelf tag and item. Last summer one store had a manager putting shelf tags up that were roughly 75+% off on various types of candy, not out of date. Many of them were not ringing up at the reduced price. Manager came up and corrected them for me individually but I have to wonder how many others paid a higher price.

A more recent annoyance is that for the few produce items without UPC, cashiers don't know what the item is and guess what it is rather than asking, usually picking something that is higher priced.

Most frugal thing you can do is still find a line with a cashier rather than self checkout if you have more than a few items as my time is valuable to me. I had a person with two full carts of groceries in front of me in the only line with a cashier leave the line because of a delay with a customer in front of them only to go to the self checkout. Thought to myself that I might have walked out before attempting that torture. They had a mess and had a long way to go by the time I was leaving the store.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Carl53 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:52 am
Most frugal thing you can do is still find a line with a cashier rather than self checkout if you have more than a few items as my time is valuable to me. I had a person with two full carts of groceries in front of me in the only line with a cashier leave the line because of a delay with a customer in front of them only to go to the self checkout. Thought to myself that I might have walked out before attempting that torture. They had a mess and had a long way to go by the time I was leaving the store.
While I don't enjoy self-check, lately it's something I've been forced to do when there are no cashier lines open. I've found that it can be more frugal using self-check, since I can more easily observe the price and coupon status of the purchase before paying and get a correction on the spot..

While the the value of my time isn't a real consideration, I find that getting a price correction at the self-check is way more time efficient than having to return to the store and wait in the customer service line for an adjustment. I often shop early, and at my Kroger location customer service isn't even open until 9am.
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

Had a lovely breakfast, yesterday morning, with my spouse and three friends, at a local restaurant. Used a 20% coupon (breakfast before 11:00 AM deal) to get a nice discount. Coupon was direct mailed to us.

I had a Southwest style breakfast burrito and two cups of coffee. Fantastic! :sharebeer
Wading Ashore

Post by Wading Ashore »

Was notified that my WSJ digital subscription was about to expire. Clicked cancel and was immediately offered a much cheaper subscription, which I accepted.
Jack shall have Jill, nought shall go ill; the man shall have his mare again, and all shall be well.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Shopped at a local hardware store and received an unexpected "Friends and Family" discount of 20% off everything. Totally unexpected and therefore very pleasing, though possibly not really frugal due to the surprise factor. But I guess I'll shop there again.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

A friend recently bought a new iPhone that came with a free 3-month subscription to Apple TV. The friend came over to watch a TV series on my high-def home theater. I don't have Apple TV, so we streamed it to my home theater using AirPlay.

Connect a device, the info is shared. Not just the technical stuff, but info that can be used for product marketing.

My TV (77" LG OLED display) now qualifies for a free 3-month subscription to Apple TV. I installed the Apple TV app and will start the subscription soon. I'll also set a calendar reminder to stop the subscription at the 3 month limit.

For security, I always use virtual numbers whenever I save a credit card number to an online site. The number is only good for that site and I have control without affecting my real credit card number.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I don't know if this was frugal or silly. I ordered a pair of shoes from Macy's on clearance. They were going to charge me shipping so for $10 more I got a 2nd pair in a different color (which made shipping free). I didn't really need either though. But this is Bogleheads and I don't think most of us work/save/invest just to meet basic needs.
Raraculus

Post by Raraculus »

I did nothing, out of sheer laziness. :D How's that for frugal?

Last week, I noticed one of the front wipers was leaving a streak. I cleaned the wiper a little bit, thinking there was some debris stuck in it. It still streaked. I decided to go to the auto parts store and get it replaced.

Only that it didn't happen. I kept putting it off - just didn't go to the auto parts store. Today, I drove around and noticed that my front wiper was streak free! How did that happen? I think outdoor temperature may be the culprit - Too cold, and the rubber is malformed enough to leave streaks. If it's hot like today, the wiper works as intended. Needless to say, I felt no need to go to the auto parts store.

Now my car has some character, with temperamental wipers to boot! (Forgive me for the pun.)
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

I have never used self checkout in the belief that the cashiers whip through all the items way faster than I can.

It's why I stopped going to BJ's (a Costco competitor) decades ago because it was all self checkout. Any money I saved from buying there was lose about three times over in the amount of time it took me to check myself out compared to the time a cashier would take.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

neilpilot wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:47 am

While I don't enjoy self-check, lately it's something I've been forced to do when there are no cashier lines open. I've found that it can be more frugal using self-check, since I can more easily observe the price and coupon status of the purchase before paying and get a correction on the spot..

While the the value of my time isn't a real consideration, I find that getting a price correction at the self-check is way more time efficient than having to return to the store and wait in the customer service line for an adjustment. I often shop early, and at my Kroger location customer service isn't even open until 9am.
I panicked Thursday night when I arrived at Stop & Shop at about 9:40 PM, 20 minutes before closing and when I went to checkout it looked like all the cashier lines were not open and I'd have to do a dreaded self checkout. Luckily there was one open just before the self checkout area.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Exercised for free, drank cheap Nescafé Classico instant coffee for about 10c per cup ($3.50 from a local market).
TheRoundHeadedKid

Post by TheRoundHeadedKid »

I did my own bicycle repair instead of taking it to a bike shop. I watched YouTube videos to learn how to do it. So far, 14 months without a car. Love the exercise and helping the environment.
All 86 Vanguard ETFs equally invested.
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

Planning to use a “buy one, get one free” deal at the local Hawaiian BBQ place later today for lunch. Will buy teriyaki chicken plate lunches for my spouse and I. :happy
TravellingTechOnFire

Post by TravellingTechOnFire »

vnatale wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:11 pm

I have never used self checkout in the belief that the cashiers whip through all the items way faster than I can.

It's why I stopped going to BJ's (a Costco competitor) decades ago because it was all self checkout. Any money I saved from buying there was lose about three times over in the amount of time it took me to check myself out compared to the time a cashier would take.
Pro tip for self checkout, in case you ever find yourself in such a dire situation( :wink: ).....don't *look* for the UPC code. If you can't see it, it means the scanner can. Just pass the item over the scanner without turning the item over, verifying that it was indeed on the side of the package you couldn't see, then turning it back over so the scanner can see it!
TravellingTechOnFire

Post by TravellingTechOnFire »

headedwest wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:48 pm I cancelled Sling TV that was costing $42/month and ordered a refurbished cable modem/wifi router for $50 so I won't have to rent one from Xfinity at $15/month. I'll still be streaming with ad-supported Netflix and Hulu (Black Friday deal for $.99/month), and I have an antenna for local broadcast channels, etc. The new router is on Xfinity's approved list, so it should work fine. Fingers crossed I won't have any installation issues.
Nicely done. I love eliminating recurring monthly fees, and seeing other folks do so as well. Monthly fees/subscriptions seem to be the new way for corporations to bleed people dry without them realizing it...cell phones with the big carriers, cable, internet, grub hub, door dash, Netflix, Hulu, Peacock, HBO Max, Apple TV, YouTube TV, Disney, Amazon Prime...many people have all these and more...its absurd. I splurge a bit more than you though and pay the $15/month for Netflix without ads. It's the only streaming service we pay for and and willing to pay a small premium to not be bombarded with advertising.
mike@jb

Post by mike@jb »

I waxed my wife's new car this morning - it looks fantastic.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

Researched and clipped the digital coupons and sales for Kroger today. Spent $103, "Saved" $69. put it on my Chase United card for the 10% back deal going on this month. On way to store, I dropped DH and the dog at Tractor Supply for the do it yourself bath. Turned out he had a free bath on his TS account! Another $10 saved.
mkc

Post by mkc »

Got a physical prescription slip for one of the pet's maintenance meds from the vet. Their mail order pharmacy (Covetrus) is nearly 3X the price Chewy Pharmacy charges for the exact same medication.
A440

Post by A440 »

TravellingTechOnFire wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:22 am
headedwest wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:48 pm I cancelled Sling TV that was costing $42/month and ordered a refurbished cable modem/wifi router for $50 so I won't have to rent one from Xfinity at $15/month. I'll still be streaming with ad-supported Netflix and Hulu (Black Friday deal for $.99/month), and I have an antenna for local broadcast channels, etc. The new router is on Xfinity's approved list, so it should work fine. Fingers crossed I won't have any installation issues.
Nicely done. I love eliminating recurring monthly fees, and seeing other folks do so as well. Monthly fees/subscriptions seem to be the new way for corporations to bleed people dry without them realizing it...cell phones with the big carriers, cable, internet, grub hub, door dash, Netflix, Hulu, Peacock, HBO Max, Apple TV, YouTube TV, Disney, Amazon Prime...many people have all these and more...its absurd. I splurge a bit more than you though and pay the $15/month for Netflix without ads. It's the only streaming service we pay for and and willing to pay a small premium to not be bombarded with advertising.
Comcast/Xfinity subscribers in our area get a free annual Peacock subscription. If you are a Comcast/Xfinity subscriber it might be worth checking out. Check out Xfinity rewards for more information.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

A440 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:12 am
TravellingTechOnFire wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:22 am
Comcast/Xfinity subscribers in our area get a free annual Peacock subscription. If you are a Comcast/Xfinity subscriber it might be worth checking out. Check out Xfinity rewards for more information.
Maybe, like me, headedwest subscribes to Xfinity internet but NOT cable TV. I don't think free Peacock is available unless you pay them for internet PLUS streaming TV.