Dishwasher - repair or buy new?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Northern Flicker

Re: Dishwasher - repair or buy new?

Post by Northern Flicker »

Northern Flicker wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:03 pm Dishwashers have about a 12 year expected life. The $300 repair won't buy you continued usage commensurate with the cost, given the remaining expected life. A DIY repair is worth a look.

We recently had a water pump die on a Kitchenaid d/w at 13 years, but had to do a few simple DIY repairs to get to that point (such as new rack rollers and various plastic parts on the rack). The reliability rankings I've seen were:

1. Miele
2. Bosch
3. Kitchenaid
I would add that our Bosch at 1.5 years old has degraded as much as our previous Kitchenaid degraded in about 8 years. This may be that the quality of all dishwashers has been downgraded, but not impressed with our Bosch so far.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Northern Flicker wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:41 pm ......
I would add that our Bosch at 1.5 years old has degraded as much as our previous Kitchenaid degraded in about 8 years......
Degraded? What exactly does that mean?
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

A few yrs ago, our 10 yo dishwasher started to leak. After research, I found the cause. $10 part, straight forward replacement. I believe the part was water inlet valve.
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

bob60014 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:47 pm
Northern Flicker wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:41 pm ......
I would add that our Bosch at 1.5 years old has degraded as much as our previous Kitchenaid degraded in about 8 years......
Degraded? What exactly does that mean?
We just had the 2nd tine for a slot for a plate break off on the lower rack. In each case, it became loose and wobbly, so we detached it to prevent debris from it going through the dishwasher food grinder.

And dishes are currently not getting as clean despite cleaning the filters and unplugging the holes in the water spinners with paper clips.

This is at the 1.5 year mark. We were very happy with the d/w until a couple of months ago. Already considering replacement.
Paullmas

Post by Paullmas »

deikel wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:40 am Just be careful what new dishwasher you buy. With the introduction of energy efficiency and water savings, the 'new' generation of dishwashers have more complicated design and hence they fail more then they used to

I have personally gone through 3 or 4 dishwashers in the last couple of years, from expensive to cheap with no rhyme or reason to me. I just accepted the fact that I would have to exchange every two years, I made the power and water connection super easy, I have a dolly and I can pull out the unit and replace with the new one in 20 min tops....and then something funny happened:

My current Bosch works like a charm ever since I found this one (I had a Bosch before that failed just like the rest, so its not just the brand). This one also has a 30 min program that works really really well - we use nothing else anymore....its like we found a system that actually works like the old ones and are intentionally not using the rubbish programs to sanitize, safe water or energy.

You can try reviews, you can try consumer reports, my feel is that its just a crap shoot.

Don't bother with repair, its 1/3-1/2 of a new one and yours is 12 years old. Don't bother with extended warranties, the time you wait for them to show up or repair or replace is maddening - just go with a replace on fail - its a lot less stressful and the local appliance guy (or Home Depot/Lowes) deliver within 48h and take the old one away.
You are replacing new units every two years, yet you state don't bother to repair an older unit, that was working for many years?
deikel

Post by deikel »

Paullmas wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:17 am
deikel wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:40 am Just be careful what new dishwasher you buy. With the introduction of energy efficiency and water savings, the 'new' generation of dishwashers have more complicated design and hence they fail more then they used to

I have personally gone through 3 or 4 dishwashers in the last couple of years, from expensive to cheap with no rhyme or reason to me. I just accepted the fact that I would have to exchange every two years, I made the power and water connection super easy, I have a dolly and I can pull out the unit and replace with the new one in 20 min tops....and then something funny happened:

My current Bosch works like a charm ever since I found this one (I had a Bosch before that failed just like the rest, so its not just the brand). This one also has a 30 min program that works really really well - we use nothing else anymore....its like we found a system that actually works like the old ones and are intentionally not using the rubbish programs to sanitize, safe water or energy.

You can try reviews, you can try consumer reports, my feel is that its just a crap shoot.

Don't bother with repair, its 1/3-1/2 of a new one and yours is 12 years old. Don't bother with extended warranties, the time you wait for them to show up or repair or replace is maddening - just go with a replace on fail - its a lot less stressful and the local appliance guy (or Home Depot/Lowes) deliver within 48h and take the old one away.
You are replacing new units every two years, yet you state don't bother to repair an older unit, that was working for many years?
Yes, because the repair is only marginally cheaper then a new dishwasher (if you purchase at the lower end of the price spectrum). They have become buy and trash items IMO
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.
deikel

Post by deikel »

Random Musings wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:17 am
deikel wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:40 am
We have a Bosch which has a "quick" 60 min program. I'll run that the next time to see if there is anything noticably different - my guess will be the dishes won't be as dry. We shall see.

RM
How did that go - curious if the quick programs are actually stronger water pressure and hotter water.....
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

I would replace it. My old Jenn-Air DW was still working after 19 years when I decided to upgrade it to a Miele about 4 years ago. Never had a single repair on the old one but the Miele is much quieter and there were scratches on the old one. I agree with the post above about finding a good installation person. The Miele tech had to return and fix the hoses after the big-box guys installed it incorrectly.

Consumer Reports has some good resources on dishwashers. I think Yale Appliances online is another one.

There are a number of BH threads on dishwashers including a recent one re: Bosch vs. Miele. Just search at the top.
Last edited by JAZZISCOOL on Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

deikel wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:33 pm
Random Musings wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:17 am
deikel wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:40 am
We have a Bosch which has a "quick" 60 min program. I'll run that the next time to see if there is anything noticably different - my guess will be the dishes won't be as dry. We shall see.

RM
How did that go - curious if the quick programs are actually stronger water pressure and hotter water.....
Ran it once, couldn't see a difference (except it was quicker).

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
Alfonsia

Post by Alfonsia »

Northern Flicker wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:25 pm
We just had the 2nd tine for a slot for a plate break off on the lower rack. In each case, it became loose and wobbly, so we detached it to prevent debris from it going through the dishwasher food grinder.

You have a Bosch with a food grinder?
TheHiker

Post by TheHiker »

acegolfer wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:55 pm A few yrs ago, our 10 yo dishwasher started to leak. After research, I found the cause. $10 part, straight forward replacement. I believe the part was water inlet valve.
Yes, they are easy to replace. I had to do it several times over the years.
The only problem is that leaking $10 part can easily do hundreds of $$ in damage to the kitchen so I also had to replace some wooden paneling etc.
I