What are you listening to now

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Nicolas

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by Nicolas »

tomcam wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:59 pm
Nicolas wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:03 pm 100 favorite ballads from 17th century England.
https://www.100ballads.org/
WOW thanks for this! Am a big fan of historical secular music.
You’re welcome. I think they’re very well done! You can select a transcript for each song in modern print so you can follow along with each ballad. And there is a wealth of background information.

I found this page in a comment to a daily entry in the online Pepys Diary, which I read every day. https://www.pepysdiary.com/diary/
You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean »

ACA wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:43 pmToby Keith
RIP, Toby.

I saw his live shows several times, all great shows. And he had a lot of entertaining videos. "As Good As I Once Was" makes me smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldQrapQ4d0Y
"Well, she was just seventeen, You Know What I Mean, and the way she looked... was way beyond compare."
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Parallel Lines — Blondie
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

He's still got his voice! Billy Joel, Turn the Lights Back On

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hexZ5hwia08

Hope there's more to come.
dadjunk

Post by dadjunk »

At this exact moment "Georgia On My Mind" by Peter Frampton is moving me.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

heartwood wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:05 pm He's still got his voice! Billy Joel, Turn the Lights Back On

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hexZ5hwia08

Hope there's more to come.
Yes, he sounds good!
iceport

Post by iceport »

"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Songs in the Key of Life — Stevie Wonder
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

“Abbey Road”, The Beatles
“Dark Side of the Moon”, Pink Floyd
“The Long Run”, The Eagles
“Hotel California”, The Eagles (I first heard this album in 1977, never gets old.)
“Stay the Course” - My Portfolio (BND, FXNAX, MGV, VT, VXUS), Spouse’s Portfolio (BND, VEA, VGSH, VOO)
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

“The Essential Herbie Hancock”, Herbie Hancock
“Stay the Course” - My Portfolio (BND, FXNAX, MGV, VT, VXUS), Spouse’s Portfolio (BND, VEA, VGSH, VOO)
iceport

Post by iceport »

"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

I've been discovering new music through Rick Beato on YouTube. I just watched his top 20 drum intros of all time video.
So, based off that video I'm listening to Paul Simon - 50 ways to leave your lover
Light weight baby!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Blues 1966-70 compilation of blues tracks performed by Jimi Hendrix

Two of the standout tracks on the album are “Red House” and "Hear My Train A-Comin'”. But they’re all good :D
iceport

Post by iceport »

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Hector Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique — Boston Symphony Orchestra at Tanglewood, conducted by Seiji Ozawa (RIP)
https://youtu.be/55MjSYkGXb0?si=0K-l5I15bDVz_YLK
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Dave Mason - "We Just Disagree" and "Only You Know and I Know"

Did some session work as well besides playing (briefly although being a founding member) with Traffic and later touring with Fleetwood Mac.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

“Still Life (Talking)”, Pat Metheny Group
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Surfrajettes, 10/22/23 Grand Rapids, MI — Surf music will never die!
iceport

Post by iceport »

I've been watching a great new 6 episode series on PBS called Funny Woman about a young woman from the country heading off to London in search of her dreams in the 1960s. The drama is surprisingly engaging, but it wouldn't be half as good without its amazing sound track.

Found the 56-track playlist on Spotify: Funny Woman Soundtrack

Scanning the playlist doesn't really do the soundtrack justice. The series manages to find just the right song, or piece of a song, from '60s pop music to fit the mood of drama perfectly. Most tunes are familiar, but there are a few more obscure selections mixed in. The music is a huge part of the appeal for me.
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

Streaming “Jazz 24…”

Preparing taxes today…need some relaxing music…
iceport

Post by iceport »

Diga Rhythm Band — Happiness Is Drumming — 1976

Going strictly from memory, this sounds a whole lot different from the mix on my vinyl copy. Wikipedia says the album was remixed for CD release in 1988.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Artful Dodger wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:44 pm
vnatale wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:22 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHtYxLPRFLc

MOUNTAIN - "THE SHOW 1970" PBS (FULL SET)

One of my all-time favorite bands.

I think I may have seen them five times. Then Leslie West in other bands about three or four more times.
I used to have a live Mountain album and not sure whatever happened to it. I don’t remember the songs on the first side but side 2 was a great version of Nantucket Sleighride. I should look for it on Apple Music.
This was a favorite Mountain record of mine. But I don't think it is one you are referencing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flowers_o ... ain_album)

This must be the one you are referencing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live%3A_T ... es_Ever_On

Looks like a good one. Cannot remember if I own it.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Superb!!!
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

YeahBuddy wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:32 pm I've been discovering new music through Rick Beato on YouTube. I just watched his top 20 drum intros of all time video.
So, based off that video I'm listening to Paul Simon - 50 ways to leave your lover
Will watch it and let you know what I think. Thanks for letting us know about it.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Nicolas wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:19 pm Blues 1966-70 compilation of blues tracks performed by Jimi Hendrix

Two of the standout tracks on the album are “Red House” and "Hear My Train A-Comin'”. But they’re all good :D
Another one I don't think I own and until now was not aware of. Will also listen to this.

I think I may have heard part of Red House from it on the radio a few days ago.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Random Musings wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:09 pm Dave Mason - "We Just Disagree" and "Only You Know and I Know"

Did some session work as well besides playing (briefly although being a founding member) with Traffic and later touring with Fleetwood Mac.

RM
This was his classic first solo record with the unprecedented marble album (See picture of it here):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alone_Tog ... son_album)

Saw him live about 8 or so years ago.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Nicolas wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:07 pm The Surfrajettes, 10/22/23 Grand Rapids, MI — Surf music will never die!
Yet another I will listen to!
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Can't You See
Marshall Tucker Band

The Marshall Tucker Band

Saw them once in 1994. It was a HORDE tour and they were the closer. They were great. Troy Caldwell (?) was their guitarist and he was excellent.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

vnatale wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:06 pm
Nicolas wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:07 pm The Surfrajettes, 10/22/23 Grand Rapids, MI — Surf music will never die!
Listened to it twice. Though not impressive I would go see them live if I could.

On my Youtube this video next played. Peter Gunn. A favorite song of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZR4UaDEv5c
Messer Chups - Peter Gunn Theme
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

vnatale wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:02 pm
YeahBuddy wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:32 pm I've been discovering new music through Rick Beato on YouTube. I just watched his top 20 drum intros of all time video.
Will watch it and let you know what I think. Thanks for letting us know about it.
I did watch it. Turned out I was more interested in the next video that played. His top 20 guitar solos.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

vnatale wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:33 pm
vnatale wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:06 pm
Listened to it twice. Though not impressive I would go see them live if I could.

On my Youtube this video next played. Peter Gunn. A favorite song of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZR4UaDEv5c
Messer Chups - Peter Gunn Theme
They have quite a few other videos on YT also. I’d never heard of them. Yes, not so good musically. But I like surf.

I saw the Messer Chups video too. I guess they’re German? I like Peter Gunn too.
Last edited by Nicolas on Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

iceport wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:19 pm Diga Rhythm Band — Happiness Is Drumming — 1976

Going strictly from memory, this sounds a whole lot different from the mix on my vinyl copy. Wikipedia says the album was remixed for CD release in 1988.
Nice music. I haven’t heard this before. From Wikipedia: The song "Happiness Is Drumming" is an early instrumental version of "Fire on the Mountain". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diga_(album)
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

“Jazz at Oberlin”, Dave Brubeck
“Take Five”, Dave Brubeck
iceport

Post by iceport »

Nicolas wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:57 pm
iceport wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:19 pm Diga Rhythm Band — Happiness Is Drumming — 1976

Nice music. I haven’t heard this before. From Wikipedia: The song "Happiness Is Drumming" is an early instrumental version of "Fire on the Mountain". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diga_(album)
Yes indeed. I had the Diga Rhythm Band album before I ever heard Fire on the Mountain, and knew instantly where the music had come from when I first heard the song with lyrics. The album wasn't one that I played often, but there were a few tracks that I really enjoyed, and Happiness Is Drumming was by far my favorite. Streaming the track, it seems to me that the guitar has been mixed in more prominently than I had remembered. Not sure if that's actually true, and I certainly don't mind, being a huge Garcia fan.

Just checked out your latest digs, and was surprised to see so many Muscle Shoals personnel — the rhythm section that was basically part of Traffic's touring band, together with Donna Jean. 8-)
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

iceport wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:23 pm

Yes indeed. I had the Diga Rhythm Band album before I ever heard Fire on the Mountain, and knew instantly where the music had come from when I first heard the song with lyrics. The album wasn't one that I played often, but there were a few tracks that I really enjoyed, and Happiness Is Drumming was by far my favorite. Streaming the track, it seems to me that the guitar has been mixed in more prominently than I had remembered. Not sure if that's actually true, and I certainly don't mind, being a huge Garcia fan.

Just checked out your latest digs, and was surprised to see so many Muscle Shoals personnel — the rhythm section that was basically part of Traffic's touring band, together with Donna Jean. 8-)
Ha, yes! Dylan, The Stones, Elton John, Paul Simon, and others also recorded there. It’s officially on the Blues Trail now and is open for tours. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_Shoals,_Alabama

The rhythm section, would that be The Swampers?

I’ve been reading up on Mickey Hart since listening to Diga and was surprised to find that his father embezzled $70K from the band in the 70s. That, along with his hard drug use, got Mickey fired from the band for a few years. I did not know that.
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

“If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears”, (1966), The Mamas and The Papas
“The Mamas and The Papas”, (1966), The Mamas and The Papas
iceport

Post by iceport »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:36 pm
iceport wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:23 pm

Ha, yes! Dylan, The Stones, Elton John, Paul Simon, and others also recorded there. It’s officially on the Blues Trail now and is open for tours. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_Shoals,_Alabama

The rhythm section, would that be The Swampers?

I’ve been reading up on Mickey Hart since listening to Diga and was surprised to find that his father embezzled $70K from the band in the 70s. That, along with his hard drug use, got Mickey fired from the band for a few years. I did not know that.
Yes!!! The Sawmpers!!!

Yeah, I knew that about Hart's father. Didn't know about his drug use. (I never paid it much attention, really, except as far as it affected their music.) The song, "He's Gone," from Europe '72, was about the father taking the money and running. That's where the line comes from, "Steal your face right off your head..."
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

vnatale wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:02 pm

Rick makes a great point in his most recent video, linked below, about the decentralization of music. He talks about the Super Bowl halftime, but makes some amazing points after. I think you and others would enjoy this. But it rings true to me. I haven't heard most of the great music he recommends. Same with the music mentioned in this thread! And I love music. But I'm 42 and grew up in the 1980s-90s and I've noticed this change he talks about. I'm literally on a mission to listen to high quality music I've never heard before. And there's a lot. Hope you enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQsrJfrKthA
Light weight baby!
Topic Author
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

vnatale wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:59 pm
Artful Dodger wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:44 pm
vnatale wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:22 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHtYxLPRFLc

MOUNTAIN - "THE SHOW 1970" PBS (FULL SET)

One of my all-time favorite bands.

I think I may have seen them five times. Then Leslie West in other bands about three or four more times.
I used to have a live Mountain album and not sure whatever happened to it. I don’t remember the songs on the first side but side 2 was a great version of Nantucket Sleighride. I should look for it on Apple Music.
This was a favorite Mountain record of mine. But I don't think it is one you are referencing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flowers_o ... ain_album)

This must be the one you are referencing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live%3A_T ... es_Ever_On

Looks like a good one. Cannot remember if I own it.
I think that was it. The cover looks very familiar. Very Tolkienesque with the Elvish script. Recorded at Woodstock as well. :beer
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

“Remember: A Tribute to Wes Montgomery”, (late Pat Martino, American jazz guitarist)
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

“An American in Paris”, George Gershwin
“Appalachian Spring”, Aaron Copeland
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Chv396 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:56 pm “If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears”, (1966), The Mamas and The Papas
Great records! They had some of the best singles of all time.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Midnight at the Oasis
Maria Muldaur

Rhino Hi-Five: Maria Muldaur

Was it this song that brought her to prominence?

I always thought she was overhyped and that Maggie Bell was a superior vocalist to her. But did not have the hype machine behind her.

A vastly underrated and little known vocalist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHsuIxmTqiY
Maggie Bell - Wishing Well
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

“California Dreamin”, “Monday, Monday”, “Go Where You Wanna Go”, are my favorites. Timeless music from those days. :sharebeer

vnatale wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:33 pm
Chv396 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:56 pm “If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears”, (1966), The Mamas and The Papas
camper1

Post by camper1 »

Bela Fleck-Rhapsody in Blue(grass). New album just released today. Wow!

https://www.amazon.com/Rhapsody-Blue-B% ... B0CPSH2FMB
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

camper1 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:22 pm Bela Fleck-Rhapsody in Blue(grass). New album just released today. Wow!

https://www.amazon.com/Rhapsody-Blue-B% ... B0CPSH2FMB
I’m listening now, nice!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Foot of Pride — Lou Reed, live at Madison Sq. Garden 1992.
Dylan’s original was better.

Sweet Jane — Lou Reed (who’s the girl?)

Don’t Let Me Down — Lake Street Dive
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Nicolas wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:18 am The Good Hours

Can’t Find My Way Home

— Rachael Price
I've seen Rachel Price a fair amount of times with her band Lake Street Dive. Sometimes in other configurations.

The band was a Saturday night headlines at the Green River Festival not that long ago.

As a Blind Faith fan I will definitely listen to that song. Thanks!
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Chv396 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:32 am “California Dreamin”, “Monday, Monday”, “Go Where You Wanna Go”, are my favorites. Timeless music from those days. :sharebeer

vnatale wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:33 pm
First two definitely on my top 500 all-time song list.