Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
BatBuckeye

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2023

Post by BatBuckeye »

MisterBill,
"Did you use the online version last year or the download? I think it's already been said that the online version does not include that feature."

I'm not sure what version I used, I just clicked on the box that says Turbo Tax "Get Started" from the Fido website.
I searched for "what if" when I had TT open and got a message, "your version does not include what if". :(

Update:
I was definitely using the online version.
I paid the $5 and I now can see the 'What If' function.
Last edited by BatBuckeye on Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leif

Post by Leif »

This afternoon I saw an offer for a free download of Turbotax Premium on the Fidelity main page. This evening it is gone. I wonder what is happening?

P.S. Just talked with Fidelity. They could not explain why I saw the offer, but insist that they cannot offer me a free TurboTax download. I need 120 trades/year, they tell me.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Leif wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:34 pm This afternoon I saw an offer for a free download of Turbotax Premium on the Fidelity main page. This evening it is gone. I wonder what is happening?

P.S. Just talked with Fidelity. They could not explain why I saw the offer, but insist that they cannot offer me a free TurboTax download. I need 120 trades/year, they tell me.
Whoever told you about 120 trades lied.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

HueyLD wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:23 am
Leif wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:34 pm This afternoon I saw an offer for a free download of Turbotax Premium on the Fidelity main page. This evening it is gone. I wonder what is happening?

That's not necessarily true. If you do not qualify on balances, being Active Trader Pro (120 trades) is supposed to be one of the ways to get TT free.
tj

Post by tj »

MisterBill wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:42 pm

That's not necessarily true. If you do not qualify on balances, being Active Trader Pro (120 trades) is supposed to be one of the ways to get TT free.
I easily had 120 trades in my short lived direct indexing SMA. No free TT.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

tj wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:27 am

Are you designated an "Active Trader"? You'd see something to that effect in the top right corner when you log in - at least in the website.

That said, as has been repeated, it's still a bit of mystery who does - or doesn't - get free TT. For every assumed requirement (asset size, active trader designation, rep assigned), there seems to be at least one counter-example where they didn't.

Back to the Active Trader designation - given the mystery above - let's say it makes one "more likely" to get TT. I should qualify on assets, only time I've gotten free TT was the years I was designated Active Trader (for buying/selling Three-Fund, RSU/ESPP, MM, and doing TLH). Lost my designation this year, no TT for me.
tj

Post by tj »

SnowBog wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:35 pm
tj wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:27 am

Are you designated an "Active Trader"? You'd see something to that effect in the top right corner when you log in - at least in the website.

That said, as has been repeated, it's still a bit of mystery who does - or doesn't - get free TT. For every assumed requirement (asset size, active trader designation, rep assigned), there seems to be at least one counter-example where they didn't.

Back to the Active Trader designation - given the mystery above - let's say it makes one "more likely" to get TT. I should qualify on assets, only time I've gotten free TT was the years I was designated Active Trader (for buying/selling Three-Fund, RSU/ESPP, MM, and doing TLH). Lost my designation this year, no TT for me.
I definitely was not.
kojima

Post by kojima »

I just checked and I see that my Fidelity account has the free TurboTax promotion. I confirmed by clicking on the link through Fidelity and seeing the price of TurboTax Premium drop to $0. Seems like it does not apply automatically to my TurboTax account, meaning if I log out and log back in, the original non discount price will be reflected until I click on the link through Fidelity.

Does anyone know how long this promotion will last? I'm sure until the tax deadline in April?

Also, I owe a few thousand dollars in taxes this year - do I have to pay directly through TurboTax or can I e-file, ignore the payment options through TurboTax, and then file directly through my IRS account?
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

kojima wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:57 am I just checked and I see that my Fidelity account has the free TurboTax promotion. I confirmed by clicking on the link through Fidelity and seeing the price of TurboTax Premium drop to $0. Seems like it does not apply automatically to my TurboTax account, meaning if I log out and log back in, the original non discount price will be reflected until I click on the link through Fidelity.

Does anyone know how long this promotion will last? I'm sure until the tax deadline in April?

Also, I owe a few thousand dollars in taxes this year - do I have to pay directly through TurboTax or can I e-file, ignore the payment options through TurboTax, and then file directly through my IRS account?
It should be sticky and stay free on future visits. But the best solution is to skip to the File section and "pay" for your return now, even if you're not ready to file yet. Make sure you have the state(s) you need to file added to your return before doing so. Once you've paid, you can go back and work on the rest of the return.
kojima

Post by kojima »

MisterBill wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:45 pm
kojima wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:57 am I just checked and I see that my Fidelity account has the free TurboTax promotion. I confirmed by clicking on the link through Fidelity and seeing the price of TurboTax Premium drop to $0. Seems like it does not apply automatically to my TurboTax account, meaning if I log out and log back in, the original non discount price will be reflected until I click on the link through Fidelity.

It should be sticky and stay free on future visits. But the best solution is to skip to the File section and "pay" for your return now, even if you're not ready to file yet. Make sure you have the state(s) you need to file added to your return before doing so. Once you've paid, you can go back and work on the rest of the return.
Thank you so much! I just paid for it but will file at a later time.

One question for you - do you know if I have to pay my estimated taxes directly through TurboTax or can I e-file, ignore the payment options through TurboTax, and then file directly through my IRS account?
GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover »

Does anyone know if you can prepay for your state filing before you are ready to file? I recall the price goes up as the filing deadline approaches.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

GeraniumLover wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:49 pm Does anyone know if you can prepay for your state filing before you are ready to file? I recall the price goes up as the filing deadline approaches.
You can prepay.