What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
rockstar

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by rockstar »

Killers of the Flower Moon

Half way through it. It's okay. Not sure how they made a movie out of it. But I'm reading it because we plan to get Apple TV soon.

I'm also two thirds of the way through Persuader. The Reacher book. It's been entertaining so far. Need to start Frozen River within the next two weeks, so I plan to knock out this one sooner than later.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

heartwood wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:06 pm
vnatale wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:45 pm
billyo44 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:58 pm The JFK Assassination Chokeholds by James DiEugenio, Paul Bleau, Matt Crumpton, Andrew IIer, and Mark Adamczyk. :thumbsup
Could not find this book at Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/JFK-Assassinatio ... B0CL5VCFBH

kindle, hardcover and paperback
Thanks. That brought me to it.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Currently reading "The Guns of August" by Barbara Tuchman. About the events leading up to the start of WW1 and an account of the first month of the war. Engrossing narrative. But at the same time depressing, a stark account of the stupidity of using war to achieve nationalistic ambitions.
ekid

Post by ekid »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:55 am Currently reading "The Guns of August" by Barbara Tuchman. About the events leading up to the start of WW1 and an account of the first month of the war. Engrossing narrative. But at the same time depressing, a stark account of the stupidity of using war to achieve nationalistic ambitions.
Would that be your first Tuchman? She is (almost) the reason I got started reading history. There is lots more!
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

ekid wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:16 am
Barkingsparrow wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:55 am Currently reading "The Guns of August" by Barbara Tuchman. About the events leading up to the start of WW1 and an account of the first month of the war. Engrossing narrative. But at the same time depressing, a stark account of the stupidity of using war to achieve nationalistic ambitions.
Would that be your first Tuchman? She is (almost) the reason I got started reading history. There is lots more!
Yes my first Tuchman book, but definitely not my last. Next on my list from her will be "A Distant Mirror".
ekid

Post by ekid »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:14 pm
ekid wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:16 am
Yes my first Tuchman book, but definitely not my last. Next on my list from her will be "A Distant Mirror".

I am now pondering the joy of discovering a new writer. And I remember my sorrow at her death. There won't be any more.
Tyrael314

Post by Tyrael314 »

Finished these two in the past week.

Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willnick and Leif Babin. Surprisingly great read with a lot of takeaways. This will be required leading for all young/first time leaders that work for me on a go forward basis.

Pathfinders by JL Collins. More of a collection of testimonials from those in the FIRE community. Quick read, enjoyable but nothing new learned or earth shattering.

Just started Gulag Archipelago today. This will probably be one that I read in chunks and mix in other books.
"A society grows great when old men plants trees under whose shade they know they shall never sit."
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

An American Sickness - How Healthcare Became Big Business and How You Can Take It Back - By Elisabeth Rosenthal
Light weight baby!
h82goslw

Post by h82goslw »

I am not a fan of Tony Robbins but on a plane today I saw him interviewed on cnbc about his new book
“The Holy Grail of Investing” and it seeems to be about new legislative rules regarding private equity and common investors. Anyone read it or have info?
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Quantum Supremacy by Michio Kaku (2023)

A nonfiction work about the advent of quantum computing. A layman’s overview of the history, basic principles, major advantages, and possible revolutionary applications. The author is an eminent physicist. I’m almost halfway through and I find it thought-provoking.
Last edited by Nicolas on Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I never knew what true happiness was until I got married, and then it was too late. — Dick Biondi
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Currently reading the Gospel of John.

Not trying to make this a religious discussion...

Finding this is a fascinating account.

Ed
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

The Book of Charlie. David Von Drehle. Based on stories from his 109 year old neighbor.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

MP173 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:33 pm Currently reading the Gospel of John.

Not trying to make this a religious discussion...

Finding this is a fascinating account.

Ed
Which translation?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Tyrael314 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:09 pm
Just started Gulag Archipelago today. This will probably be one that I read in chunks and mix in other books.
I read that one straight through (not at one sitting) when it came out in the 70s?

The main thing I remembered about it was it seemed like every 2nd paragraph there was a description of someone being brought to court and two minutes later the person was found guilty and being whisked away to prison.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

h82goslw wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:32 pm I am not a fan of Tony Robbins but on a plane today I saw him interviewed on cnbc about his new book
“The Holy Grail of Investing” and it seeems to be about new legislative rules regarding private equity and common investors. Anyone read it or have info?
I found the book he wrote with Ray Dallio on investing to be quite good.
Alfonsia

Post by Alfonsia »

Blowback : Miles Taylor

[Off-topic comments removed by admin LadyGeek]
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed some off-topic political comments. Please do not use a book review as a pretext to discuss topics outside the forum guidelines.

As a reminder, see: Politics and Religion

In order to avoid the inevitable frictions that arise from these topics, political or religious posts and comments are prohibited. The only exceptions to this rule are:
  • Common religious expressions such as sending your prayers to an ailing member.
  • Usage of factual and non-derogatory political labels when necessary to the discussion at hand.
  • Discussions about enacted laws or regulations that affect the individual investor. Note that discussions of proposed legislation are prohibited.
  • Proposed regulations that are directly related to investing may be discussed if and when they are published for public comments.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan »

I'm reading The Daily Stoic, a book with a different discussion point about stoicism every day. The only downside of the book is, you have to start reading on Jan 1.
RANkiDEr

Post by RANkiDEr »

I recently listened to the audio book called "After: A Doctor Explores What Near-Death Experiences Reveal about Life and Beyond"
By Bruce Greyson, M.D.

Dr. Greyson is at University of Virginia, School of Medicine. He studies Near-Death Experiences.
https://med.virginia.edu/perceptual-stu ... e-greyson/

The Tibetan Buddhists talk about Near-Death experiences, and that was my entry point into my next book.

I'm currently working on "The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying" by Sogyal Rinpoche.
This is the most insightful book I've ever read about living and dying.
Now that I have some basic knowledge about the Tibetan views on death and rebirth it really expanded my understanding on death.

This all get's nicely tied together in this lecture on dying and the afterlife from a Buddhist perspective.

"New Eyes" on the Tibetan Book of the Dead: What Happens After You Die?
https://youtu.be/hBl5v2WGqrI?si=JlbPlQoWXZsvLOv4
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

YeahBuddy wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:15 pm An American Sickness - How Healthcare Became Big Business and How You Can Take It Back - By Elisabeth Rosenthal
I'm just on Part 1 of the book and although I think it will make patients better informed about how healthcare now is, as she writes, "exactly what the market's financial incentives demand," the real challenge is how we can "change the rules of the game."
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
wbarabas

Post by wbarabas »

Finished Same as Ever by Morgan Housel. Really enjoyed this book. Easy to understand and a better follow up to The Psychology of Money IMO.

Also all caught up on fiction series by Rebecca Yarros and Sarah Maas. I know some think it silly but I can just get lost in these books and the hours just pass. Non fiction I have to take breaks from to digest and process.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Finished Persuader by Lee Childs. Looking forward to season 3 of Reacher now. Good, entertaining read overall.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

vnatale wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:24 pm
h82goslw wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:32 pm I am not a fan of Tony Robbins but on a plane today I saw him interviewed on cnbc about his new book
I found the book he wrote with Ray Dallio on investing to be quite good.
What book was that? Do you mean Money, Master the Game? He's the sole author of the book, Ray Dalio's name isn't on it. It's a collection of a dozen or so interviews with supposed money masters... the one with Ray Dalio being only one of them.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Nicolas wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:25 pm
vnatale wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:27 pm
jaqenhghar wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:02 pm
vnatale wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:20 pm
I recently read that World War I started all because the driver of the car of the person in it who got assassinated took a wrong turn. So many people subsequently died because of that one wrong turn.
vnatale, do you happen to recall where you read that? Would love to read that book.
I may or may not have read it in a book. I think that wherever I read it it was only a paragraph or several.

But there IS this:

https://www.history.com/news/how-a-wron ... orld-war-i

How a Wrong Turn Started World War I
The assassination of Franz Ferdinand might not have happened but for an odd coincidence that placed him right in front of his assassin’s gun.
BY: SARAH PRUITT

UPDATED: MARCH 28, 2023 | ORIGINAL: JULY 17, 2018
I think that war was gonna happen whether Archduke Ferdinand was assassinated or not. It might’ve been delayed a fortnight.
I agree. Germany was determined to achieve European domination and they had a passionate hatred of France. They would have set up some additional false flag signals to justify their war.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Please keep opinions related to a book review. WW 1 political discussions are off-topic.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Started Frozen River by Ariel Lawhon. I’m about 50 pages into it. It’s ok so far.
Carol88888

Post by Carol88888 »

"The wisdom of Life" by Schopenhauer.
sbaywriter

Post by sbaywriter »

Exit Interview: The Life and Death of My Ambitious Career by Kristi Coulter
About her 12 years as a manager at Amazon. I found this fascinating and horrifying and a lively read, although got bored about 2/3 of the way and skimmed the rest. It interested me on several levels – a description of the Amazon work environment and culture, an explanation of the Amazon “algorithms” developed for writing fiction books that sell, which I think may explain the mediocrity of Kindle Unlimited fiction selection, plus insight into the viewpoint of an ambitious manager. My only quibble is that she quotes verbatim conversations from 12 years in the past, which I have doubts she remembers the exact words, if she even remembers the conversation. But it’s part of what makes the book a lively read, so I consider it a legitimate writing device.
This book got me thinking about algorithms and culture and led me to the following, which I started but only got through about 30 pages before I had to return to the library, but I was interested enough that I plan to buy it:
Filterworld: How Algorithms Flattened Culture by Kyle Chayka
Dave5280

Post by Dave5280 »

Killing the Witches - About the Salem witch trials and how it shaped the early development of the country.

Guilty to proven innocent - they even hanged a dog for witchcraft…reminds me of a neighbor dog outside barking at 5 am, laugh.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

How to Know a Person: The Art of Seeing Others Deeply and Being Deeply Seen by NYT columnist David Brooks.

A very different and fascinating approach on how to interact with others. I'm familiar with the Carnegie "How to win friends and influence people" approach, but this takes it to an entirely new level.

It's worthwhile reading, but I thought the $14.99 Kindle price was set too high.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

sbaywriter wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:40 pm Exit Interview: The Life and Death of My Ambitious Career by Kristi Coulter
About her 12 years as a manager at Amazon. I found this fascinating and horrifying and a lively read, although got bored about 2/3 of the way and skimmed the rest. It interested me on several levels – a description of the Amazon work environment and culture, an explanation of the Amazon “algorithms” developed for writing fiction books that sell, which I think may explain the mediocrity of Kindle Unlimited fiction selection, plus insight into the viewpoint of an ambitious manager. My only quibble is that she quotes verbatim conversations from 12 years in the past, which I have doubts she remembers the exact words, if she even remembers the conversation. But it’s part of what makes the book a lively read, so I consider it a legitimate writing device.
This book got me thinking about algorithms and culture and led me to the following, which I started but only got through about 30 pages before I had to return to the library, but I was interested enough that I plan to buy it:
Filterworld: How Algorithms Flattened Culture by Kyle Chayka
I mostly only read non-fiction books. But from time-to-time when I read the same as you describe above I admit to myself that much of that has to be fiction, fabricated. I have a good memory but I could not tell you my exact words from two hours ago!
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

Just a follow-up to my notes about The Fund: Ray Dalio, Bridgewater Associates, and the Unraveling of a Wall Street Legend, by Bob Copeland. (I thought it was excellent and should be read by anyone who knows who has heard the name "Ray Dalio.")

If you don't want to deal with the book, the Rational Reminder podcast just did an interview with Bob Copeland, which is both good in itself and can be considered a reasonable summary of the book. As is customary, the website posts a transcript.

February 15, 2024, Episode 292 - Rob Copeland: Ray Dalio and Bridgewater
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed an off-topic interchange discussing the origins of World War 1 (political conjecture). Please do not use book reviews as a pretext to discuss topics outside the forum guidelines.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

An interchange asking for clarification of "political conjecture" has been removed. As a reminder, see: Member Rights in a Dispute
Notifying the Advisory Board via PM or e-mail is the only acceptable outlet for complaints regarding Moderator action. Members do not have the right to take their appeal to the rest of the forum or to complain publicly about Moderator actions (or inaction).
If any has a question on a moderator action, please PM me. Don't post here.
bstevlin

Post by bstevlin »

nisiprius wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:49 pm
Chv396 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:36 pm ...noticed that a new version [of A Random Walk Down Wall Street is out. Tempted to buy it...
Bought it, haven't read it, but let me say... nowadays the Three Big Lies are "the check is in the mail," "we are experiencing unusual call volume," and "completely revised and updated."
Oh dear. You could start a whole new thread. How about “ your call is extremely important to us” or my favorite “you are a valued customer” which is code for we will extract every pound of flesh from you we can with considerable malice and forethought. Think Frontier airline.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

About halfway through The Last Fish Tale: The Fate of the Atlantic and Survival in Gloucester, America's Oldest Fishing Port and Most Original Town by Mark Kurlansky, I am ready to declare it sensational.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Have three books going right now.

* Pillars of Earth
* Frozen River
* If You Can

I’d retitle the last book to cut out the Millennial reference. It could apply to any generation starting out, so I cut that part of the title out above.

I finished up Killers of the Flower Moon. Super depressing book. Not sure I want to see the movie. I enjoy Reservation Dogs more. Finished first two seasons.

Another book like the above is Lakota Woman. For those that like depressing books, check that one out too. Read it for fun while in university.

I saw the miniseries for Pillars of Earth when it came out and enjoyed. The book is good so far, but the page numbering is all screwed up in the Kindle version. I’m a couple of chapters into it. Hope to finish by the end of March.
CoAndy

Post by CoAndy »

"The Exchange" by John Grisham. Sequel to "The Firm".
removals

Post by removals »

“Das Kapital,” by Karl Marx. The best analysis of the origins and dynamics of capitalism.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

rockstar wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:54 am Have three books going right now.

* Pillars of Earth
* Frozen River
* If You Can

I’d retitle the last book to cut out the Millennial reference. It could apply to any generation starting out, so I cut that part of the title out above.

I finished up Killers of the Flower Moon. Super depressing book. Not sure I want to see the movie. I enjoy Reservation Dogs more. Finished first two seasons.

Another book like the above is Lakota Woman. For those that like depressing books, check that one out too. Read it for fun while in university.

I saw the miniseries for Pillars of Earth when it came out and enjoyed. The book is good so far, but the page numbering is all screwed up in the Kindle version. I’m a couple of chapters into it. Hope to finish by the end of March.
Did watch the movie a few weeks ago.

Agree with the way you titled "If You Can".
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

The Night Gardener by George Pelecanos
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Just about finished with "Robert Parker's Fallout" by Mike Lupica. Another Jesse Stone mystery set in Paradise, Ma.

Nothing heavy about this, pure entertainment. Sometimes one needs to be entertained. Jesse Stone series provides that.

Ed
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

MP173 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:34 pm Just about finished with "Robert Parker's Fallout" by Mike Lupica. Another Jesse Stone mystery set in Paradise, Ma.

Nothing heavy about this, pure entertainment. Sometimes one needs to be entertained. Jesse Stone series provides that.

Ed
Love the Jesse Stone films. Never read the books. How do they compare? I’ve only read his Spenser novels.