What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
fuddbogle

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by fuddbogle »

cubs1999 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:13 pm
rustlers wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:37 pm
fuddbogle wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:56 pm
rustlers wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:26 pm
kojima wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:12 pm

What are the risks?
1 Chances of fraud charges increases with so many open
2 You forgetting to pay in full for a single blue moon card and hit with late fee/interest
3 Said big fraud/legit charge causing your checking account to into overdraft since you have to closely monitor the balance availability
4 Using the wrong CC for the wrong purpose/charge/cash back back by mistake
5 Wasting time in a) your CC portfolio management, and b) following up on #1, #2, #3 with customer service.

Advantages:
1 Big credit limit
2 ???
2. Lots of points - in the millions.
What do you mean?
You just need a few cards for your points, as you get more and more cards, won't have you have diminishing returns, as opposed to concentrating your miles on a few cards?
Probably churned some cards: like Chase cards.have a two year period where you can then get bonus again I think? Sign up for CSR, downgrade it to Freedom and then get bonus again when eligible. Do the same with other cards except AMEX which I believe has a one time SUB (sign up bonus).
Correct, but 4 years now for Chase (for CSR/CSP). But with 2 people, it's essentially 2-years.
nw2005

Post by nw2005 »

spammagnet wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:57 am My strategy changed radically this month. We opened four new card accounts to get the 12+ month 0% purchase APR with $60+K (total) credit limit.

Using those for all the purchases we can, plus tax payments and other large expenses, we can defer required IRA withdrawals for living expenses to next year. That reduces our AGI, maximizing ACA premium tax credits until DW's Medicare starts in December. We'll get SUBs and BofA Preferred Rewards to the extent practical but those are secondary considerations.

It's uncertain at this time whether it's best for us to make the IRA withdrawals this year or next year. Delaying to next year may double our 2025 income, resulting in tax increases exceeding this year's ACA benefits. We can reevaluate in December when we have more clarity as to future planned spending. In the meantime, paying minimums on 0% APR cards is harmless.
Which four new credit cards did you open? Do you have to make monthly minimum payments? Thanks!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

spammagnet's discussion on reducing ACI has been moved into a different thread. See: Re: Optimize AGI for ACA

(spammagnet requested the move. Thanks!)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
nostresshere

Post by nostresshere »

re: Putting cards is safe and fraud, etc.

EVERY single card I have is set up to send us a notice when charges are made. After all, even a card locked in the safe that was used a year ago could have fraud at anytime.

Keep in mind that you are not responsible for actual fraud, but you do need to notify the bank in a timely manner.
WnnaBeRich

Post by WnnaBeRich »

EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:31 am
Ketawa wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:15 am
EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:25 am The other question is. How often should I try again and is there any harm applying daily for example?
Nobody knows. I tried applying for the Amex Delta Reserve card 8 times in 2021-2022, and I was stuck in popup jail the entire time. At the time, I used a couple of my cards extensively, but otherwise only charged a small amount to some Platinum cards for the Digital Entertainment Credit, and almost never used a couple other cards. Since then, I've been charging at least a small amount to all 9 of my Amex cards every statement cycle to see if I can get out of jail. I haven't had an opportunity yet to test whether it worked.
Basically what you have told me is that I may never get out.
My plan is to retry again after the next monthly cycle. If I fail, I will try the regular platinum. If that fails I will give up for a while and live without it.

Thanks for everyone's input on the subject.
Did it work?
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

WnnaBeRich wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:27 am
EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:31 am
Ketawa wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:15 am
EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:25 am The other question is. How often should I try again and is there any harm applying daily for example?
Nobody knows. I tried applying for the Amex Delta Reserve card 8 times in 2021-2022, and I was stuck in popup jail the entire time. At the time, I used a couple of my cards extensively, but otherwise only charged a small amount to some Platinum cards for the Digital Entertainment Credit, and almost never used a couple other cards. Since then, I've been charging at least a small amount to all 9 of my Amex cards every statement cycle to see if I can get out of jail. I haven't had an opportunity yet to test whether it worked.
Basically what you have told me is that I may never get out.
My plan is to retry again after the next monthly cycle. If I fail, I will try the regular platinum. If that fails I will give up for a while and live without it.

Thanks for everyone's input on the subject.
Did it work?
I was able to get out of pop up jail by using an old Amex card a little bit every month. Can’t remember how long it took, but it worked. Maybe 2-3 months.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
cshell2

Post by cshell2 »

nostresshere wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:41 am re: Putting cards is safe and fraud, etc.

EVERY single card I have is set up to send us a notice when charges are made. After all, even a card locked in the safe that was used a year ago could have fraud at anytime.

Keep in mind that you are not responsible for actual fraud, but you do need to notify the bank in a timely manner.
You can also lock the cards on the website before tossing them in the safe.
nostresshere

Post by nostresshere »

cshell2 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:27 am
nostresshere wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:41 am re: Putting cards is safe and fraud, etc.

I don't understand why people waste time "locking" cards. And mine are in a drawer, no need for a safe.
cshell2

Post by cshell2 »

nostresshere wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:25 pm

I don't understand why people waste time "locking" cards. And mine are in a drawer, no need for a safe.
Waste time? It takes maybe 30 seconds and prevents any fraudulent charges on old cards from happening in the first place.
Prokofiev

Chase IHG Premier card

Post by Prokofiev »

Just a heads-up for a card not often recommended.

I recently decided to add the Chase IHG Premier Visa (Intercontinental, Holiday Inn) to my hotel and credit card family. Already being a Lifetime Titanium at Marriott, I first expanded to Hyatt and then added Hilton after being "Bonvoy"ed several years ago. For card holders, IHG will give you a 4th night free for points reservations. Also, you can often purchase points at .5 cents/point. Right now, this point sale continues until Feb 2. I bought 200k points last year and will probably get 300k this year. The card also comes with a free night every year upon fee payment ($99). Until March 31. you receive 7X points for grocery and gas purchases = 3.5% minimum.

I just booked 4 nights in Dusseldorf Germany in May for 50k IHG points. That is only $250 cash to buy the points for 4 nights or $63/night all taxes and fees included. I also have reservations booked in Brussels ($119) and Amsterdam ($124), both in June. These are great deals for international travel.
Last edited by Prokofiev on Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler - Einstein
Wwwdotcom

Post by Wwwdotcom »

nostresshere wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:25 pm

I think there are some credit cards where the bank will not protect you if the card is physically stolen.

"Federal law says you’re not responsible to pay for charges or withdrawals made without your permission if they happen after you report the loss. It’s important to act fast"
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Looking to buy ihg points and points.com for a 100% bonus. Does this code as online I’m assuming. Looking to use my shop your way card or my boa with online bonus category
Prokofiev

Post by Prokofiev »

BashDash wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:36 pm Looking to buy ihg points and points.com for a 100% bonus. Does this code as online I’m assuming. Looking to use my shop your way card or my boa with online bonus category
I know that it does NOT code as travel for Chase Ultimate rewards points, so I use my Chase Freedom UnLTD to get 1.5 ponts per $1 or my
Amtrak MasterCard to get 2.95 cents per $1.

I have no knowledge of B of A or "online" coding.
listen2mm

Post by listen2mm »

BashDash wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:18 pm Any knowledge of coding online for raise.com with shop your way card?
I only know Raise.com coding for Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards card, but it should be similar to other cards as BofA told me the merchant determines their coding. For BofA Customized Cash Rewards card, Raise.com coded as an online purchase through May 2023 and has not been coding as an online purchase since then. I just realized recently that it hasn't been coding for the Online Shopping category and have since sent an inquiry to Raise.com support as it seems obvious it should code for Online Shopping. I'm hoping they will make a correction so it codes properly for purchases moving forward - I presume the more complaints they get (explaining their competitors code as Online Shopping, which they do) the more likely they will be to correct their merchant code
ZinCO

Post by ZinCO »

listen2mm wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:14 pm
BashDash wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:18 pm Any knowledge of coding online for raise.com with shop your way card?
I only know Raise.com coding for Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards card, but it should be similar to other cards as BofA told me the merchant determines their coding. For BofA Customized Cash Rewards card, Raise.com coded as an online purchase through May 2023 and has not been coding as an online purchase since then. I just realized recently that it hasn't been coding for the Online Shopping category and have since sent an inquiry to Raise.com support as it seems obvious it should code for Online Shopping. I'm hoping they will make a correction so it codes properly for purchases moving forward - I presume the more complaints they get (explaining their competitors code as Online Shopping, which they do) the more likely they will be to correct their merchant code
BoA blocks the Online Shopping bonus for multiple sites related to gift cards, it's not the merchant's coding that is the issue but rather that the merchant name matches an entry in a list. Much the same way that we don't get 5.25% paying online taxes with our CCR's.
jdubsdubs

Post by jdubsdubs »

- Deleted -
EnjoyIt

Re: Chase IGH Premier card

Post by EnjoyIt »

Prokofiev wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:20 pm Just a heads-up for a card not often recommended.

I recently decided to add the Chase IGH Premier Visa (Intercontinental, Holiday Inn) to my hotel and credit card family. Already being a Lifetime Titanium at Marriott, I first expanded to Hyatt and then added Hilton after being "Bonvoy"ed several years ago. For card holders, IGH will give you a 4th night free for points reservations. Also, you can often purchase points at .5 cents/point. Right now, this point sale continues until Feb 2. I bought 200k points last year and will probably get 300k this year. The card also comes with a free night every year upon fee payment ($99). Until March 31. you receive 7X points for grocery and gas purchases = 3.5% minimum.

I just booked 4 nights in Dusseldorf Germany in May for 50k IGH points. That is only $250 cash to buy the points for 4 nights or $63/night all taxes and fees included. I also have reservations booked in Brussels ($119) and Amsterdam ($124), both in June. These are great deals for international travel.
Very cool.

There are so many great credit cards and spending mechanics out there. Nice to see yet another pathway.

Thanks for sharing.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

DW and I just got an annual rewards summary email for our Amazon Prime Visa cards. Each is several hundred dollars for partial 2023. No annual fee, we each got several hundred ($250?? each) in sign-up bonuses. We only use it for Amazon or Whole Foods where each gives 5% back in addition to in store WF discounts.

We use Amex Everyday for all other grocery shopping (3% rewards).

We use the Amazon Prime at WF, and Amazon, for the 5%, but it's also so convenient now that WF has a palm print checkout. No other sign-in or entry, just either palm and it chooses the right card and other information. WF is not necessarily our grocery of first choice, but it's very local.
grtwallchina75

Re: Chase IHG Premier card

Post by grtwallchina75 »

Prokofiev wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:20 pm Just a heads-up for a card not often recommended.

I recently decided to add the Chase IHG Premier Visa (Intercontinental, Holiday Inn) to my hotel and credit card family. Already being a Lifetime Titanium at Marriott, I first expanded to Hyatt and then added Hilton after being "Bonvoy"ed several years ago. For card holders, IHG will give you a 4th night free for points reservations. Also, you can often purchase points at .5 cents/point. Right now, this point sale continues until Feb 2. I bought 200k points last year and will probably get 300k this year. The card also comes with a free night every year upon fee payment ($99). Until March 31. you receive 7X points for grocery and gas purchases = 3.5% minimum.
this is the exactly strategy I've been using for last few years. IHG rewards programs are great and I buy points when on sale (100% more points)
Prokofiev

Hotel Free Nights via Credit Card and Resort Fees

Post by Prokofiev »

As someone who has spent over 3100 nights (or more?) in hotel beds, I am always searching for ways to cut costs for lodging. It is usually a larger expense for us than airfare/transportation due to long trips of 20-40 nights.

During the past few years, we have seen the rise of resort and destination fees go from actual resorts to basic Vegas hotel rooms to New York city to London and on to Chicago and recently St Louis! These junk fees, along with internet fees, recreation fees and even point redemption fees can range from $10 to over $100/night and change the economics of one hotel over another if you are unaware of them. For the uninitiated here is a brief rundown of fees, free nights and how they interact with points programs and branded credit cards.

If you are staying on a free night certificate or using points for your stay, Hyatt and Hilton will waive all resort and junk fees. For Hilton, the catch is
it only applies to Elite members. So holding a Hilton CC will automatically get the fees removed since you will always have at least Silver status or higher, depending on the exact card. This does not mean they are waived for paid stays, only free nights. At Hyatt, all fees are waived for award nights. For paid stays, only Globalist elite members are exempt and there is no Hyatt CC that awards you Globalist status.

Staying at IHG or Marriott on awards, you will usually have to pay the resort or destination fee, regardless of status. So that free night might cost you another $25, $50 or even $100+ each night. And even worse, they often apply taxes to the fees which can make that $100 become $125 to $132! Not cool. I say "usually" because I have occasionally been waived fees at some Marriott properties, perhaps because of Titanium status. Not sure.

Just as important is the "extra" free night when booking longer stays. At IHG, you get the 4th night free when booking 3 nights using points. At Marriott or Hilton, it is a 5th night free when booking 4. Hyatt has no extra free nights for any length of stay. Not everyone can plan this way, but being flexible with your travel plans can result in some decent savings. I always consider this when booking using these programs.

Even with paying fees, you can often get excellent results using hotel points. NYC hotel rates seem crazy, with hardly anything available at less than $400 when you add in the taxes and destination fees. But booking for this October in NYC, I was able to find Manhattan IGH hotels for 90k to 150k points for 4 nights. That is $113 to $187 per night when buying points for .5 cents each. Even with the destination fees of $27 to $45, you are paying $140 to $232 total cost. For NYC, this is still quite a bargain.
Last edited by Prokofiev on Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

Capital One has a travel card that gives you 75,000 points if you spend $4000 in three months. The 75,000 points can be applied dollar-for-dollar to any travel purchases on your card. We charged a trip in the third month that let us reach the $4000 threshold, and I was able to apply a $750 credit to it.
robbierob03

Post by robbierob03 »

b4nash wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:25 pm 5% Walmart card
5% Target card
5% Kroger card (also up to $3,000/yr back on Apple Pay)
5% rotating category cards (Discover, Freedom, Freedom Flex)
3% online shopping with BofA
2% Fidelity

All cash back with no fees or memberships required
Wait which card gives 5% back at Walmart? I can't imagine that's sustainable for any issuer, so is this some teaser rate?
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

robbierob03 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:08 pm
5% Target card
2% Fidelity

Wait which card gives 5% back at Walmart? I can't imagine that's sustainable for any issuer, so is this some teaser rate?
Capital One Walmart card gives 5% in-store for 12 months if you use the Walmart Pay app. You do get 5% at Walmart.com. You can find it on their Web site.
tj

Post by tj »

Tom_T wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:15 pm Capital One has a travel card that gives you 75,000 points if you spend $4000 in three months. The 75,000 points can be applied dollar-for-dollar to any travel purchases on your card. We charged a trip in the third month that let us reach the $4000 threshold, and I was able to apply a $750 credit to it.
I guess you meant penny for penny, not dollar for dollar. ;-)
ZinCO

Re: Hotel Free Nights via Credit Card and Resort Fees

Post by ZinCO »

Prokofiev wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:10 pm Just as important is the "extra" free night when booking longer stays. At IHG, you get the 4th night free when booking 3 nights using points. At Marriott or Hilton, it is a 5th night free when booking 4. Hyatt has no extra free nights for any length of stay. Not everyone can plan this way, but being flexible with your travel plans can result in some decent savings. I always consider this when booking using these programs.
Great post, thanks. I think the IHG 4th night free is only for certain IHG CC holders (and it does NOT include the now-defunct IHG Select card, which for $49/year still gives me an annual free night and 10% back on my points redemptions).
Prokofiev

Re: Hotel Free Nights via Credit Card and Resort Fees

Post by Prokofiev »

ZinCO wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:43 pm
Prokofiev wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:10 pm Just as important is the "extra" free night when booking longer stays. At IHG, you get the 4th night free when booking 3 nights using points. At Marriott or Hilton, it is a 5th night free when booking 4. Hyatt has no extra free nights for any length of stay. Not everyone can plan this way, but being flexible with your travel plans can result in some decent savings. I always consider this when booking using these programs.
Great post, thanks. I think the IHG 4th night free is only for certain IHG CC holders (and it does NOT include the now-defunct IHG Select card, which for $49/year still gives me an annual free night and 10% back on my points redemptions).
Yes,
You must have the IHG credit card. I didn't know about the $49 card. I just got the $99 card last September. If you like mid-tier hotels, IHG
seems to be a sweet spot when using the 100% bonus sales. And it doesn't require lots of stays or large spend on the card itself to acquire the points. You can just purchase them and book the rooms. You are limited to 150k per year or 300k with 100% bonus. But that should get you a decent number of nights each year.
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

tj wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:21 pm
Tom_T wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:15 pm Capital One has a travel card that gives you 75,000 points if you spend $4000 in three months. The 75,000 points can be applied dollar-for-dollar to any travel purchases on your card. We charged a trip in the third month that let us reach the $4000 threshold, and I was able to apply a $750 credit to it.
I guess you meant penny for penny, not dollar for dollar. ;-)
Well... maybe penny-to-dollar-for-dollar. :)
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

5% Target card
2% Fidelity

BofA CCR pays 3%, plus your Preferred Rewards booster, for Walmart online purchases or store purchases paid through the Walmart app, when the card is set too "online" category. For those with Platinum Honors status (I realize that's a stretch for most people) that results in 5.25% cash back.

Payment with the Walmart app does not require Walmart+. The BofA cards have a $2,500,/qtr limit on the higher rate.
robbierob03

Post by robbierob03 »

spammagnet wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:14 am
5% Target card
2% Fidelity

BofA CCR pays 3%, plus your Preferred Rewards booster, for Walmart online purchases or store purchases paid through the Walmart app, when the card is set too "online" category. For those with Platinum Honors status (I realize that's a stretch for most people) that results in 5.25% cash back.

Payment with the Walmart app does not require Walmart+. The BofA cards have a $2,500,/qtr limit on the higher rate.
That's a good point that I always forget about. I really need to make sure my CCR is added to any store app I have and use.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

robbierob03 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:20 am
spammagnet wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:14 amBofA CCR pays 3%, plus your Preferred Rewards booster, for Walmart online purchases or store purchases paid through the Walmart app, when the card is set too "online" category. For those with Platinum Honors status (I realize that's a stretch for most people) that results in 5.25% cash back.

That's a good point that I always forget about. I really need to make sure my CCR is added to any store app I have and use.
I can't say that every store app works that way. I know for a fact that Publix, Walmart and Sam's Club apps do.
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

spammagnet wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:42 am
robbierob03 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:20 am
spammagnet wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:14 amBofA CCR pays 3%, plus your Preferred Rewards booster, for Walmart online purchases or store purchases paid through the Walmart app, when the card is set too "online" category. For those with Platinum Honors status (I realize that's a stretch for most people) that results in 5.25% cash back.

I can't say that every store app works that way. I know for a fact that Publix, Walmart and Sam's Club apps do.
Kroger app works too. Pretty much if you pay through any app it will trigger online shopping.
b4nash

Post by b4nash »

Tom_T wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:47 pm
5% Target card
2% Fidelity

Capital One Walmart card gives 5% in-store for 12 months if you use the Walmart Pay app. You do get 5% at Walmart.com. You can find it on their Web site.
Also, 5% on pickup orders. Pretty easy to get 5% back unless you need auto service.
d0gerz

Post by d0gerz »

In January I got an offer from the Citi Shop Your Way card of earning up to 10% back on gas, grocery, and restaurant spend. $50 monthly cashback on total spend between $500-$999 and $100 on $1000+. I activated this offer last month.

Then yesterday I got another offer for 5% back in statement credits on total spend of $400 or more, capped at $40 cashback per month. I'm wondering if this offer stacks on top of the existing one. Does anyone know? Or if I activate this offer will it void the one from January?

Also, how long does it typically take for the statement credits to post? Offer terms say give it up to 2 billing cycles, are they strict with that timeline?
leland

Post by leland »

In April I'm heading back to 2/24. I'm really hoping for a high value CSP offer to show up, but failing that any other non-keeper cards to be on the lookout for with a good signup bonus? More interested in cash / cash equivalents than miles at the moment although am easily swayed by value :mrgreen:

Based on this thread I'm considering the PenFed Pathfinder Explorer card as a keeper (at least while it has the annual reimbursement). And if I decide to keep my BofA Premier Rewards Elite (that's a mouthful!) maybe get a CCR to pair with it if there's a zero interest offer (equivalent of a good bonus in high interest times).

I don't need Amex points and as of yet not in the CapOne, Citi or WF ecosystems (outside of Bilt). I'm also planning to be a sucker and put a lot of money on my Alaska card to help with status. I know the math doesn't work out well on that one for me :P
Last edited by leland on Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tj

Post by tj »

leland wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:48 pm In April I'm heading back to 2/24. I'm really hoping for a high value CSP offer to show up, but failing that any other non-keeper cards to be on the lookout for with a good signup bonus? More interested in cash / cash equivalents than miles at the moment although am easily swayed by value :mrgreen:

Based on this thread I'm considering the PenFed Explorer card as a keeper (at least while it has the annual reimbursement). And if I decide to keep my BofA Premier Rewards Elite (that's a mouthful!) maybe get a CCR to pair with it if there's a zero interest offer (equivalent of a good bonus in high interest times).

I don't need Amex points and as of yet not in the CapOne, Citi or WF ecosystems (outside of Bilt). I'm also planning to be a sucker and put a lot of money on my Alaska card to help with status. I know the math doesn't work out well on that one for me :P

You mean PenFed Pathfinder? Just went to their site to see if there was a new card called Explorer. :D
leland

Post by leland »

tj wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:04 pm
leland wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:48 pm In April I'm heading back to 2/24. I'm really hoping for a high value CSP offer to show up, but failing that any other non-keeper cards to be on the lookout for with a good signup bonus? More interested in cash / cash equivalents than miles at the moment although am easily swayed by value :mrgreen:

Based on this thread I'm considering the PenFed Explorer card as a keeper (at least while it has the annual reimbursement). And if I decide to keep my BofA Premier Rewards Elite (that's a mouthful!) maybe get a CCR to pair with it if there's a zero interest offer (equivalent of a good bonus in high interest times).

You mean PenFed Pathfinder? Just went to their site to see if there was a new card called Explorer. :D
Yes, thank you, editing above :oops: At least I called their next rebrand, although I think a few other issues have overused that name.
Okoboji

Best place to Roll Over Amex points

Post by Okoboji »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

I have an Amex Gold card, with some 300,000 points
Want to cancel the card- don’t use it and not worth $250 annual fee.
I primarily use my Bank of America Unlimited Cash Rewards - Platinum member.

Considering Marriott, American or Delta.

Open to suggestions.
Ketawa

Re: Best place to Roll Over Amex points

Post by Ketawa »

This may not be your preferred option, but I would get the Amex Schwab Platinum card and cash them out at 1.1 cents each. This requires opening a Schwab brokerage account. The Schwab Platinum card also currently has a signup bonus of 80K points after $8K in spending over 6 months, slightly higher than the normal 60K points. https://www.schwab.com/credit-cards
Fat Lip

Post by Fat Lip »

Moving 300,000 points into one program without a use in mind is probably not a good idea. You could open a no-fee Amex card that accrues Membership Rewards like the Amex Everyday card and once that is open, cancel the Gold card. The points will stay with the new card. That way you can keep the flexibility, which is the big appeal of Amex points.

I definitely would not transfer them to Marriott as the conversion rate is terrible. Also Amex points do not transfer to American AAdvantage.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

I just booked an air ticket to europe using my Amex Gold sign in points (90k). $250 fee will off set some by eating out 4% and grocery shopping (4%).
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged Okoboji's thread into the ongoing discussion.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and provided a link to this thread.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
corduroysuit

Post by corduroysuit »

Okoboji wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:58 pm
I have an Amex Gold card, with some 300,000 points
Want to cancel the card- don’t use it and not worth $250 annual fee.
I primarily use my Bank of America Unlimited Cash Rewards - Platinum member.

Considering Marriott, American or Delta.

Open to suggestions.
I would check out the Amex Blue Business Plus, or the Amex Everyday Card (personal). If you sign up for one of these no-fee cards, then you'll be able to keep your membership rewards until you are ready to put them to use. I'd open one of those cards before closing the other. You could also try asking customer service if it's possible to downgrade into one of those cards (if the gold card is a biz card then switch it to Blue Bis Plus, if it is a personal gold then switch to Everyday).
boston10

Post by boston10 »

ZinCO wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:22 pm
listen2mm wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:14 pm
BoA blocks the Online Shopping bonus for multiple sites related to gift cards, it's not the merchant's coding that is the issue but rather that the merchant name matches an entry in a list. Much the same way that we don't get 5.25% paying online taxes with our CCR's.
Online tax payments not counting as online shopping is due to an MCC block. The gift card site block may be one of the only ones that's not an MCC block, so it's good to know.
the_wiki

Post by the_wiki »

Anyone using the Kroger/Smith's card from US Bank? Saw an ad for it and it looks interesting:

5% on $3000 groceries if you pay via their app (which you need because half their sales are app only).
5% on $3000 of Apple Pay/Google Pay everywhere else
Some gas discounts the first year, and following years after you hit $6k spending (which you will do easy with the 5% categories).

No Fee. No foreign transaction fees.

Seems like an easy way to make $150 a year + some gas savings if you primarily shop at a Kroger chain for grocery.

(Also 2% on other Kroger purchases and 1% everything else, but those are easy to beat with other cards)
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

the_wiki wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:27 pm Anyone using the Kroger/Smith's card from US Bank? Saw an ad for it and it looks interesting:

5% on $3000 groceries if you pay via their app (which you need because half their sales are app only).

[snip]
To clarify, the 5% on "groceries if you pay via their app" means, in this case, 5% on groceries at Kroger if you pay through the Kroger app. (Not the US Bank app.)

US Bank has similar cards for numerous Kroger brands, like Ralph's or Frys, in case those brands are more prevalent in your area.

I've looked into this card--well, the one for my local Kroger affiliate--and am holding off pending developments on the proposed Kroger/Albertson's merger. In my market, the local Kroger brand has few locations and is almost a non-factor, while the local Albertsons brand more or less dominates the market. If the merger goes through--and I'm not convinced that it will--it's possible that Kroger will divest the local brand, that the local Albertsons stores will be re-branded to one of or more of the Kroger brands, or that the Albertsons brand will survive and US Bank will end up issuing a card for that brand. I don't claim that any of these are particularly likely, but for me there are enough unknowns that I plan to wait and see how this shakes out.
tj

Post by tj »

FedGuy wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:02 pm
the_wiki wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:27 pm Anyone using the Kroger/Smith's card from US Bank? Saw an ad for it and it looks interesting:

[snip]
To clarify, the 5% on "groceries if you pay via their app" means, in this case, 5% on groceries at Kroger if you pay through the Kroger app. (Not the US Bank app.)

US Bank has similar cards for numerous Kroger brands, like Ralph's or Frys, in case those brands are more prevalent in your area.

I've looked into this card--well, the one for my local Kroger affiliate--and am holding off pending developments on the proposed Kroger/Albertson's merger. In my market, the local Kroger brand has few locations and is almost a non-factor, while the local Albertsons brand more or less dominates the market. If the merger goes through--and I'm not convinced that it will--it's possible that Kroger will divest the local brand, that the local Albertsons stores will be re-branded to one of or more of the Kroger brands, or that the Albertsons brand will survive and US Bank will end up issuing a card for that brand. I don't claim that any of these are particularly likely, but for me there are enough unknowns that I plan to wait and see how this shakes out.
I'm surprised the credit cards would get 5% on only the local brand and not on all the brands.
b4nash

Post by b4nash »

I’ve had the Kroger card for over a year. It’s been great for me. Also gave me free Kroger delivery for a year (only 2% cash back on delivery). Great for Apple Pay and in store Kroger, plus Kroger fuel discounts.