What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
KBR

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by KBR »

The princess bride. I don’t even know how many times I’ve seen it. One of the best movies ever made. I can’t imagine there’s anyone on this board who has not watched it. If you have not watched it. What are you doing? Stop what are you doing and watch it now. Seriously. Literally. One of the best movies ever made. After having watched it several times I read the book. The book is just as good. Better.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Dark City on Kanopy

Nice sci-fi movie with a good twist. I hadn’t seen it since it came out. Still holds up. I recommend it.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

KBR wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:08 am The princess bride. I don’t even know how many times I’ve seen it. One of the best movies ever made. I can’t imagine there’s anyone on this board who has not watched it. If you have not watched it. What are you doing? Stop what are you doing and watch it now. Seriously. Literally. One of the best movies ever made. After having watched it several times I read the book. The book is just as good. Better.
The book is great. It fills in some more of the backstories left out of the movie.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

KBR wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:08 am The princess bride. I don’t even know how many times I’ve seen it. One of the best movies ever made. I can’t imagine there’s anyone on this board who has not watched it. If you have not watched it. What are you doing? Stop what are you doing and watch it now. Seriously. Literally. One of the best movies ever made. After having watched it several times I read the book. The book is just as good. Better.
One of my favorites as well.

The Princess Bride is a story within an outer wrapper. The outer wrapper is a fictionalized account of how the book came about (e.g. keeping only the good parts of a larger, scholarly, book by S. Morgenstern). In newer editions of the book, the outer wrapper is aware of the movie and extends the "making of" account to include the movie. It puts you into the right mood for appreciating the main story, book or movie. The movie has a similar, if less prominent, structure.

The book and movie compliment each other. William Goldman wrote both the book and the movie's screenplay. There is no separating them! It would be a mistake to skip either one.

I guess you could say the book is my favorite because there is more of it, but the movie is part of that. The book kept the good parts of the story and the movie filmed those good parts!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

I find it inconceivable that the movie could be as good as you say.
KBR

Post by KBR »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:43 am
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dTRKCXC0JFg
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

El Conde - streaming on Netflix. It was very pretty, but I found it rather slow and boring. I usually don't care for artsy films so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:43 am
Can you imagine how exciting it would have been if they got involved in a land war in Asia!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Amazon Prime

Had already seen it once but did not remember that much from it. Excellent both times.

Ava

Ava (Jessica Chastain) is a deadly assassin who works for a black ops organization, traveling the globe specializing in high profile hits. When a job goes dangerously wrong she is forced to fight for her own survival.

IMDb 5.5
1 h 37 min
X-RAY
R
Drama
·
Suspense
·
Gritty
·
Intense
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
runner26

Post by runner26 »

"Dumb Money" on Netflix Wall Street hedge funds vs reddit Robinhood investors who "got rich" by turning GameStop (the video game store) into the world's hottest company. Covers Keith Gill (Paul Dano), who starts it all by sinking his life savings into the stock and posting about it. Also stars Seth Rogen and Pete Davidson. Somewhat interesting and a few laughs. So so overall.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Hells Angels (1930) Jean Harlow, Ben Lyon, James Hall, directed by Howard Hughes

This isn’t about the motorcycle club. Two brothers have a fling with a faithless woman (Harlow) before battling the Germans in the skies over France in WWI.

This film has some of the most amazing air battle scenes ever filmed and it’s all real, no CG, it’s 1930. Hughes hired veteran WWI pilots to fly the planes and three of them died during filming. 70 planes were used. Finally the pilots refused a stunt that Hughes asked for as it was perceived to be too dangerous, so Hughes flew the plane himself and got the shot but crashed the plane, incurring minor injuries.

There are eight minutes of actual color film, the rest is in black and white, the only time Harlow appeared in color in any film. All color prints were deemed lost until a copy was found in John Wayne’s safe after his death. It’s over two hours long with a ten minute intermission! Recommended.

I streamed it on The Criterion Channel.
I never knew what true happiness was until I got married, and then it was too late. — Dick Biondi
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Scarface (1932) Paul Muni, George Raft, Boris Karloff, Ann Dvorak, directed by Howard Hawks

Written in eleven days by Ben Hecht, this is the story of a mobster (Muni) who murders his way to the top in prohibition-era Chicago destroying the lives of everyone close to him.

There’s a page at the start of the film that states that everything shown in the film is based on real events. In fact the St. Valentine’s Day massacre is dramatized. Karloff is a bit out of place here as a hardened hoodlum but is fun to watch. Muni is perfect here as the lead, and I always like to see George Raft who was reputed to be an actual gangster in real life as well as an actor. This film was the archetype for all future gangster movies. Recommended.

I streamed it on The Criterion Channel.
I never knew what true happiness was until I got married, and then it was too late. — Dick Biondi
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:29 am
vnatale wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:38 pm
Dan999 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:39 am Watched Barbie.
Turned it off after 15 minutes.
Am I the only one who both watched it in entirety and was entertained by it from start to finish? I knew no details of it prior to watching it. That is the way I prefer it whenever I watch anything. Knowing nothing about what I am about to see. Only the bare minimum to intrigue me to watch it.
While it got rave reviews and filled theatres, I don't think I've actually heard anyone in real life say they really liked it. My wife and kids were disappointed, I lasted all of ~10 minutes before I was asleep.
First time around, I stopped it after 15 min.
Second time, I was convinced by others to stick it out till at least 30 min and then decide.
Glad I did. Caustically funny with several LOL moments.
Good soundtrack.
Free DVD from public library.
telemark

Post by telemark »

vnatale wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:38 pm
Dan999 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:39 am Watched Barbie.
Turned it off after 15 minutes.
Am I the only one who both watched it in entirety and was entertained by it from start to finish? I knew no details of it prior to watching it. That is the way I prefer it whenever I watch anything. Knowing nothing about what I am about to see. Only the bare minimum to intrigue me to watch it.
I enjoyed it from beginning to end. They had me at Kubrick.

Would make an interesting double feature with Pinocchio.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed an off-topic post discussing social aspects surrounding Barbie. Please don't use a book review as a pretext to discuss topics that are outside the forum guidelines.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
TSintheATL

Post by TSintheATL »

A Bill Murray film festival:

Groundhog Day (of course) and Lost in Translation, probably his two best films.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

TSintheATL wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:39 pm A Bill Murray film festival:

Whaaaaat? :shock:
Caddyshack has entered the chat.
TSintheATL

Post by TSintheATL »

Okay, I agree Caddyshack is up there as well.

I should have said Bill's best performances. Caddyshack (and Ghostbusters) had an ensemble cast. Lost in Translation in particular had a very small cast.
uaeebs86

Post by uaeebs86 »

tenkuky wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:41 pm
TSintheATL wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:39 pm A Bill Murray film festival:

Whaaaaat? :shock:
Caddyshack has entered the chat.
Stripes, Scrooged, and Ghostbuters are up there for me as well.
"Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out." ― John Wooden
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

The Reader, 2008
  • Kate Winslet (Hanna) Oscar for Best Actress
  • Ralph Fiennes (Michael)
  • David Kross (young Michael)
  • Many others also doing fine jobs!
Extremely well done. Of special note is the cinematography by Oscar winners (for other movies, but nominations for this one)
  • Roger Deakins who was the Cinematographer for most (all?) of the Coen brothers' movies.
  • Chris Menges. I am not familiar with any of his work, but he did earn two Oscars.
Quoting IMDB:
Post-WWII Germany: Nearly a decade after his affair with an older woman came to a mysterious end, law student Michael Berg re-encounters his former lover as she defends herself in a war-crime trial.
Be warned that there is much explicit sex in the early parts of the movie (the affair). I read somewhere that the producers had to wait for Kross to turn 18 to film these scenes.

Given the time and place you won't be surprised that this is a rather "heavy" movie, something I usually try to avoid as my main use for movies is light entertainment. None the less, it won me over. It is 2 hr, 4 min long. It was nominated for 5 Oscars, and Kate Winslet won best actress.

(I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this here.)
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

King of California (2007)
Free on YouTube.
Quirky story about a dad trying to convince his daughter to find treasure in suburbia.
Michael Douglas and Evan Rachel Wood shine.
KBR

Post by KBR »

I just watched the beekeeper. Jason Statham. If you are looking for a good Jason Statham revenge movie where bad guys get what is coming to them It is a good movie. It is by the books formula revenge movie. Not really any surprises but if you are in the mood for a Jason Statham revenge movie this hits all the notes. You do choose to watch it. Just walk in thinking that the daughter who is an FBI agent is an idiot and try to close your eyes whenever she does anything. This is one of those movies that you asked yourself what would a dumb person do in this situation, if she did not use any common sense? That’s what the daughter FBI agent does in all of her scenes. So just close your eyes during those scenes and think of something else. Otherwise it is a capably competently done Jason Statham revenge movie.
runr

Post by runr »

KBR wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:47 pm I just watched the beekeeper. Jason Statham. If you are looking for a good Jason Statham revenge movie where bad guys get what is coming to them It is a good movie. It is by the books formula revenge movie. Not really any surprises but if you are in the mood for a Jason Statham revenge movie this hits all the notes. You do choose to watch it. Just walk in thinking that the daughter who is an FBI agent is an idiot and try to close your eyes whenever she does anything. This is one of those movies that you asked yourself what would a dumb person do in this situation, if she did not use any common sense? That’s what the daughter FBI agent does in all of her scenes. So just close your eyes during those scenes and think of something else. Otherwise it is a capably competently done Jason Statham revenge movie.
I just saw it as well, I thought it was okay, action scenes were full of action, but sometimes not believable.
fired at 39 since 2021
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

American Symphony on Netflix, rated PG-13, Jon Batiste, 2023, documentary / biography / music. Jon Batiste attempts to compose a symphony as his wife, writer Suleika Jaouad, undergoes cancer treatment.

An emotional film about a loving relationship. This movie won several awards for a reason. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Smoke Signals

A movie about a kid going to Phoenix to retrieve his dad’s ashes. It’s really good.
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

Banksy most wanted, in the local museum theater.

The film was well done, though to be sure it takes an unabashedly positive view of the artist (or artists??). Personally, I don't care who Banksy is, although apparently it's important to some people. I found the film interesting because it made me think about the extent to which it's possible to distinguish art from hype in a social media environment.

Trailer: https://youtu.be/H3fXWXmlEvc
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

The Bank of Dave on Netflix. "True" story about a local UK man who attempts to set up the first small bank in England in 150 years. Definitely enjoyable, warm-hearted movie that'll put you in a good mood. The real story isnt quite as devious but the main character is a real person who does really good work in his hometown. Recommend.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

The Marvels on Disney+. This is the first MCU movie I hadnt seen in the theater in over 20yrs. I liked most of it and dont think it deserves the criticism it got. Its a little silly, has some weird writing but the action scenes are good and I really like the actress who plays Kamala Khan. She reminds me of a female Spider-Man with her youthful energy. All in all, its worth watching if you're into the MCU and/or want to know whats coming next (one cut scene at the end).
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

vbdoug wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:55 pm "The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent" starring Nicolas Cage on Starz.
Cage has been one of my least favorite actors for the last twenty plus years but I found this movie to be original, creative and fun.
Strongly recommended.
Saw this yesterday, free DVD from public library.
It was horrendous IMHO. I didn't know if it was meant as a spoof on Nic Cage's career or just a badly made movie.
Pedro Pascal was redeeming but not enough to save this.
Thank goodness it was free :oops:
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

jginseattle wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:31 pm Booksmart. This new teen comedy is a mix of sentimentality and the requisite gross-out humor. It's also good-spirited and consistently funny. The two leads are perfect, but just about everybody in the movie is funny.

In theaters now.

Recommended.
Saw this today, free on YouTube.
I laughed oh-so-much.
Well directed by Olivia Wilde and the leads are perfect.
Highly recommend :sharebeer
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

The Holdovers on Peacock. This is up for several Oscars and it was fine. I liked the writing a lot and the acting was good but it moved pretty slow and was probably 20mins too long. I'd still recommend it to anyone who liked the directors other films (Sideways, Nebraska, etc) because its on brand for him.
bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse »

"Reacher" fans will like the new series with Alan Ritchson on Prime.
If you've read the Reacher series of books, this gets the character right.
(Tom Cruise could play Reacher's baby sister. I never even bothered to watch the original Reacher with Cruise in it.)
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

bighatnohorse wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:08 pm "Reacher" fans will like the new series with Alan Ritchson on Prime.
(Tom Cruise could play Reacher's baby sister. I never even bothered to watch the original Reacher with Cruise in it.)
Not a movie, so wrong thread. Thought the last Reacher season was weak.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

jjunk wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:45 pm The Holdovers on Peacock. This is up for several Oscars and it was fine. I liked the writing a lot and the acting was good but it moved pretty slow and was probably 20mins too long. I'd still recommend it to anyone who liked the directors other films (Sideways, Nebraska, etc) because its on brand for him.
The Holdovers, $5.99 rental on Amazon Prime. I agree on the writing and acting, but thought the pace was OK. The movie is categorized as a comedy / drama. I'd say it's more of a drama with some light-hearted humor and is worth watching.
SethJane42

Post by SethJane42 »

The latest Mission Impossible on Paramount. Tom Cruise rarely disappoints. This movie was a lot of fun. Knowing Cruise does a lot of his own stunts makes it all the better. What a career he's had. From Risky Business to The Color of Money to Rainman to Tropic Thunder to all these action films. I first saw him in the movie Taps and thought he was the most interesting character in it. Check out the new MI, a great ride.
SethJane42

Post by SethJane42 »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:33 am
jjunk wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:45 pm The Holdovers on Peacock. This is up for several Oscars and it was fine. I liked the writing a lot and the acting was good but it moved pretty slow and was probably 20mins too long. I'd still recommend it to anyone who liked the directors other films (Sideways, Nebraska, etc) because its on brand for him.
The Holdovers, $5.99 rental on Amazon Prime. I agree on the writing and acting, but thought the pace was OK. The movie is categorized as a comedy / drama. I'd say it's more of a drama with some light-hearted humor and is worth watching.
Love Paul Giamatti in this. Good engrossing story.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

ruralavalon wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:03 pm I just rewatched Galaxy Quest on Amazon Prime.

This is a 1999 spoof of Star Trek, it's characters, and Trekkies starring Tim Alle, Sigourney weaver, and Tony Shalhoub. The cast of an old sci-fi T.V. series is contacted by space friendly aliens, who believe that the T.V. show and characters are real and want their help to rescue them from an evil race of space aliens who are attacking them.
Now free on YouTube.
Absolutely loved it.
Great cast and so much fun.
RIP Alan Rickman :beer
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

runr wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:36 pm
KBR wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:47 pm I just watched the beekeeper. Jason Statham. If you are looking for a good Jason Statham revenge movie where bad guys get what is coming to them It is a good movie. It is by the books formula revenge movie. Not really any surprises but if you are in the mood for a Jason Statham revenge movie this hits all the notes. You do choose to watch it. Just walk in thinking that the daughter who is an FBI agent is an idiot and try to close your eyes whenever she does anything. This is one of those movies that you asked yourself what would a dumb person do in this situation, if she did not use any common sense? That’s what the daughter FBI agent does in all of her scenes. So just close your eyes during those scenes and think of something else. Otherwise it is a capably competently done Jason Statham revenge movie.
I just saw it as well, I thought it was okay, action scenes were full of action, but sometimes not believable.
Saw it and thought it was superb.

Will definitely be watched again at least one more time.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

bighatnohorse wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:08 pm "Reacher" fans will like the new series with Alan Ritchson on Prime.
Compared to many excellent TV shows I've recently seen ... Reacher was about a B-.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

neilpilot wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:18 pm
Not a movie, so wrong thread. Thought the last Reacher season was weak.
Yes. Agree.
bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse »

vnatale wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:50 pm
Compared to many excellent TV shows I've recently seen ... Reacher was about a B-.
"Reacher" was first a series of books, then a Tom Cruise movie, then a streaming series.
And I agree - while I read the entire series of Reacher books by Lee Child, it was, for me, a love hate relationship.
Not even "love" - more like a perverse addiction that I ended up not liking. But I guess I was, still am, a fan.
Yes, even the book series is probably a B- but weirdly attractive (with a huge fan base).
The "Reacher" streaming series more closely aligns with the book series character.
I'll probably keep watching the series until I get sick of it. :sharebeer
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

bighatnohorse wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:03 am
vnatale wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:50 pm
"Reacher" was first a series of books, then a Tom Cruise movie, then a streaming series.
And I agree - while I read the entire series of Reacher books by Lee Child, it was, for me, a love hate relationship.
Not even "love" - more like a perverse addiction that I ended up not liking. But I guess I was, still am, a fan.
Yes, even the book series is probably a B- but weirdly attractive (with a huge fan base).
The "Reacher" streaming series more closely aligns with the book series character.
Each book is like an action movie. And some books are better than others. This isn’t sophisticated lit. This is reading for entertainment. Don’t expect to be blown away. But enjoy the ride. And the good news is that I don’t have to deal with they pronoun characters. If you’ve read a book written like that lately, you want to rip your hair out trying to keep track of the characters.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

bighatnohorse wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:03 am The "Reacher" streaming series more closely aligns with the book series character.
I'm already there. Unfortunately, my wife is not!

I can put up with occasionally being force fed an episode. That beer will help!
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

The Monster That Challenged the World, 1957 - MeTV. Giant molluscs from the Salton Sea threaten Southern California. Classic 50's SciFi.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Mission Impossible:Dead Reckoning on Paramount+

Watchable at best. I had a very hard time following, esp the 1st hour.

Tom has aged, as have we all.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

bertilak wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:40 am
bighatnohorse wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:03 am The "Reacher" streaming series more closely aligns with the book series character.
I'm already there. Unfortunately, my wife is not!

I can put up with occasionally being force fed an episode. That beer will help!
My wife and I both got there after episode 1 of season 2. It was fun as a 1 time shot, but particularly after I learned it's based on 1 of like 20 different rinse/repeat books, lost interest. Some people love it, bless them.

How does Reacher beat up an entire room of prison toughs, but 1 little skinny rich kid beats him to near death. This is like a 7 hours Arnold Schwarzenegger movie.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

heartwood wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:06 pm Mission Impossible:Dead Reckoning on Paramount+

He's aged but I'd say much better than most. I agree with your assessment though, it was passable but hard to follow.

We're in the middle of a Terminator run and just finished Terminator Salvation (library rental). It's amazing to me how many times Christian Bale has wasted his talent on movies like this. My wife mad a good point though, just like the Jurassic Park series, the Terminator movies have some stinkers but they're all entertaining at least.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

An American in Paris (1951) Gene Kelly, Leslie Caron, Oscar Levant, Georges Guétary, directed by Vincente Minnelli

Three friends struggle to find work in Paris. Things become more complicated when two of them fall in love with the same woman.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043278/?r ... %2520paris

This film won awards (Best Picture 1951) and has its moments but on the whole I did not like it. The story is sappy and cloying and Kelly is not believable. Really it’s just a vehicle to hang Kelly’s and Caron’s dancing on. I never much liked Kelly to begin with and here he’s nineteen years older than his love interest. The cinematography is beautiful though. The best part is the dance number in the last 15 minutes. Avoid. I streamed it on The Criterion Channel.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

jjunk wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:16 pm
heartwood wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:06 pm Mission Impossible:Dead Reckoning on Paramount+

He's aged but I'd say much better than most. I agree with your assessment though, it was passable but hard to follow.

We're in the middle of a Terminator run and just finished Terminator Salvation (library rental). It's amazing to me how many times Christian Bale has wasted his talent on movies like this. My wife mad a good point though, just like the Jurassic Park series, the Terminator movies have some stinkers but they're all entertaining at least.
Lord - why would anyone watch anything past Terminator 3. And if you hate Terminator 3, I can understand, but I actually thought it was nearly as good as the first, but a lot of the originality had died.

No idea what they were thinking with Salvation. Lord that was awful. Then, all the psuedo Arnie-reboots .... I couldn't bring myself to watch that garbage.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

sureshoe wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:56 pm
jjunk wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:16 pm

Lord - why would anyone watch anything past Terminator 3. And if you hate Terminator 3, I can understand, but I actually thought it was nearly as good as the first, but a lot of the originality had died.

No idea what they were thinking with Salvation. Lord that was awful. Then, all the psuedo Arnie-reboots .... I couldn't bring myself to watch that garbage.
TV series is pretty good. But I agree with you.