Cleaning mold on water bottle gaskets

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Cleaning mold on water bottle gaskets

Post by gavinsiu »

One issue with the kids water bottle is that black mold starts to build on the silicone gasket that using a brush does not clean off. Does anyone have a good way to clean off gasket? I could try soak it in some bleach but was worry that it would end up with bleach residue in the water.
livesoft

Re: Cleaning mold on water bottle gaskets

Post by livesoft »

Bleach. Why are you worried about bleach residue? You already know that it is used to disinfect water per WHO and CDC guidelines. You can also try some hydrogen peroxide.

Another trick is to soak them in denture cleaner (dissolving tablets). Get the ones with monopersulfate as an ingredient. These are also great to clean stains from coffee and tea cups.

Also you can just buy a packet of spare washers and change them out as you wish.
Last edited by livesoft on Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
alexbogle

Post by alexbogle »

Clean them more often. If you can see it then it is not often enough. We use ours for 3-6 days and then always clean and scrub. Haven't seen any funk since.

Soap and a good brush is all i have used but don't see any harm in vinegar or bleach, just rinse well.

When I first started using reusable bottles it was a problem for me too.

The other change I made is to pour the water into a cup when eating instead of using the reusable.
"Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It’s cheaper!” -- Jack Bogle
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

Thanks everyone. Also thanks for the denture cleaning idea. The other issue I have is tea stain mugs.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Gross, we disassemble our kid’s hydro flask every single day and clean it. Can’t imagine doing anything less.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

I generally ignore it, except for using a paper towel occasionally to clean the threads.

I would use a bleach solution and move on.
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

A mixture of vinegar and baking soda could also be tried. They are both toxic to most molds.
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

backpacker61 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:08 am A mixture of vinegar and baking soda could also be tried. They are both toxic to most molds.
But wouldn't one end up with vinegar and baking soda residue in the water?
StewedCarrot

Post by StewedCarrot »

runner3081 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:46 am Gross, we disassemble our kid’s hydro flask every single day and clean it. Can’t imagine doing anything less.

I never wash mine. Except on the rare occasions I use it for something other than tap water.
BobTexas

Post by BobTexas »

StewedCarrot wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:47 am
runner3081 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:46 am Gross, we disassemble our kid’s hydro flask every single day and clean it. Can’t imagine doing anything less.

I never wash mine. Except on the rare occasions I use it for something other than tap water.
Yep. I only put water in mine and rarely wash it. If you put sugary drinks in it you need to wash daily
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

livesoft wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:13 am
backpacker61 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:08 am A mixture of vinegar and baking soda could also be tried. They are both toxic to most molds.
I assume that these would be less toxic than bleach, but I'm also assuming OP would rinse the water bottles out and dry them off after cleaning them and before the children use them again.
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
clip651

Post by clip651 »

Both of those should rinse out pretty easily. And both are used in foods/cooking (oil and vinegar salad dressings, baking soda in lots of stuff). What would be the concern if a tiny bit of either doesn't rinse out of a bottle?
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Normal household bleach is a mild irritant, cleaning with it should cause no problems.
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

Check the bottle manufacturer for their recommendations. Definitely don't let the kids use a bottle that has an active mold growth.

Clorox has tips on their website. For mold, follow the disinfect guideline and not the sanitizing guideline.

https://www.clorox.com/learn/how-to-cle ... h%20bleach

For my bottles, I carefully remove the rubber seals, wash them in dish soapy water, rinse, then soak them for ~10 minutes in a diluted bleach solution (1/3 cup unscented bleach and 1 gallon of water), then wash them in the sink with dish soapy water, rinse, then let them air dry. I only find I need to do this about 1X per month.

Weekly, I sanitize the bottle and lid per the Clorox sanitation guidelines: wash the bottle and lid in dish soapy water, rinse, then soak for 2-3 minutes in a mix of 2 tsp bleach and 1 gallon of water. Then air dry. I don’t rinse this dilute bleach solution as it does not leave a taste once dry and the residual helps keep the bottle sanitized until the next use (assuming clean storage).

And why the concern with bleach? Chlorine is a miracle chemical and has saved countless lives and extended lives worldwide.

Following this procedure, I have never had any mold issues with my water bottles.
Last edited by Jeepergeo on Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

clip651 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:59 amBoth of those should rinse out pretty easily. And both are used in foods/cooking (oil and vinegar salad dressings, baking soda in lots of stuff). What would be the concern if a tiny bit of either doesn't rinse out of a bottle?
Wait you mean like bleach? ;)
clip651

Post by clip651 »

livesoft wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:37 am
clip651 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:59 amBoth of those should rinse out pretty easily. And both are used in foods/cooking (oil and vinegar salad dressings, baking soda in lots of stuff). What would be the concern if a tiny bit of either doesn't rinse out of a bottle?
Wait you mean like bleach? ;)
I don’t have a concern about bleach either. Guessing you’re ok with any of the above? You need a sarcasm font or something. And that’s with me already knowing half or more of your posts are somewhere on the sarcasm scale.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

Buy better water bottles?

I don't have a mold issue with any of ours.
Alfonsia

Post by Alfonsia »

Buy ones that go in the dishwasher. They need washing every day, we have polar and camelback, when I had small kids they had Rubbermaid bottles that were easily cleanable.
tev9876

Post by tev9876 »

gavinsiu wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:28 am The other issue I have is tea stain mugs.
Powdered cleanser and a sponge - Bar Keepers Friend, Ajax, Comet, etc. Bleach versions not required.
the_wiki

Post by the_wiki »

Not if you rinse it off adequately.

Both are used in foods and cooking so even if you get a little the first time you use the bottle, it's not going to hurt you. Rather get a little vinegar than dish soap.
Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 »

The dishwashing machines in the vast majority of restaurants use a final rinse with sodium hypochlorite (bleach) to sanitize the dishes and utensils. Standard procedure and the FDA considers it perfectly safe.
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

gavinsiu wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:06 am I could try soak it in some bleach but was worry that it would end up with bleach residue in the water.
To purify water for drinking, the EPA recommends you add 8 drops of 6% bleach or 6 drops of 8.25% bleach per one gallon of water. If the water is cloudy, colored or cold, double that amount, stir and let stand 30 minutes before consuming.

https://www.epa.gov/ground-water-and-dr ... king-water
StudentofFI

Post by StudentofFI »

Turbo29 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:23 am FDA considers it perfectly safe.
The FDA also allows a laundry list of chemicals/ingredients into our foods that are pretty much banned in European Countries... :shock:
It's concerning what is allowed by the EFSA vs FDA..
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

Good lord guys. Just dissassemble it and soak the parts in boiling or near boiling water for a few minutes daily. No need for chemicals of any kind, they'll just embrittle the gasket. You're unlikely to run out of water and heat either :wink:

No residue or aftertaste, it will in fact remove residues quite well.
Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 »

StudentofFI wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:16 pm
Turbo29 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:23 am FDA considers it perfectly safe.
The FDA also allows a laundry list of chemicals/ingredients into our foods that are pretty much banned in European Countries... :shock:
It's concerning what is allowed by the EFSA vs FDA..
It's also allowed in Europe.
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain
footyman

Post by footyman »

I use salt for cleaning tea stains off my mugs. Just drop a haf teaspoon of salt in the mug and rub with your fingers. Works wonders.