Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Tubes

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Post by Tubes »

I grew up in the early 70s and learned that I would never see a bald eagle, except at a zoo.

Flash forward 50 years. Last week, I nearly ran over a bald eagle! The bird was chowing down on road kill, and thankfully I was able to slow down. Much to my surprise, about 15 yards in front of me I was startled to see a bald eagle lift off just in time. I have since learned that bald eagles are bad at lifting off compared to other carrion eating birds, like crows, which know exactly how close they can push it.

Now, if only our environment provided more food choices than the tempting road kill...
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Tubes wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:30 am I grew up in the early 70s and learned that I would never see a bald eagle, except at a zoo.

Flash forward 50 years. Last week, I nearly ran over a bald eagle! The bird was chowing down on road kill, and thankfully I was able to slow down. Much to my surprise, about 15 yards in front of me I was startled to see a bald eagle lift off just in time. I have since learned that bald eagles are bad at lifting off compared to other carrion eating birds, like crows, which know exactly how close they can push it.

Now, if only our environment provided more food choices than the tempting road kill...
More than once I've seen an eagle go after a fish and not be able to get back in flight (they refuse to let go). One in the "creek" behind us chose to swim butterfly style using wings to the opposite bank, drag the fish out of water and have lunch.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Tubes wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:30 am Now, if only our environment provided more food choices than the tempting road kill...
If it makes you less concerned about them, bald eagles are naturally a mix of scavenger, thief, and hunter, even in prey-rich environments. Eating road kill is right up their alley, along with eating whatever human hunters leave behind. The later is actually more concerning due to lead poisoning risks if the human hunters used lead ammo. The Smithsonian National Zoo calls them "opportunistic foragers": https://nationalzoo.si.edu/animals/bald-eagle
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Mudpuppy wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:03 pm
Tubes wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:30 am Now, if only our environment provided more food choices than the tempting road kill...
If it makes you less concerned about them, bald eagles are naturally a mix of scavenger, thief, and hunter, even in prey-rich environments. Eating road kill is right up their alley, along with eating whatever human hunters leave behind. The later is actually more concerning due to lead poisoning risks if the human hunters used lead ammo. The Smithsonian National Zoo calls them "opportunist foragers": https://nationalzoo.si.edu/animals/bald-eagle
We see them on "fresh" carrion with vultures frequently. After a while, it gets too ripe for the eagles. They do like to steal. They regularly go after Osprey around here to get them to drop the fish. I've seen them catch it before it hits the ground.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Mudpuppy wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:03 pm
If it makes you less concerned about them, bald eagles are naturally a mix of scavenger, thief, and hunter, even in prey-rich environments. Eating road kill is right up their alley, along with eating whatever human hunters leave behind. The later is actually more concerning due to lead poisoning risks if the human hunters used lead ammo. The Smithsonian National Zoo calls them "opportunist foragers": https://nationalzoo.si.edu/animals/bald-eagle
Yeah, Ben Franklin commented on these traits of the bald eagle and compared them to the turkey which had better "moral character." That eventually got spun into some tale of Franklin wanting the turkey as the national bird, which probably isn't true. But the letter in which he comments on the bald eagle as being "lazy" is real, joking or not.
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

f35phixer wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:05 am All right now, We have Eggs in Port Tobacco.... close to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPI9mWmmc7M
Second egg layed !!!!!!!!!!!
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

In case this may be of interest to fellow birders, there will be a virtual event tomorrow evening (February 14, 6:30 pm ET) with the author of a new book entitled Bird Day.

I'm not familiar with the book or its author but do plan to attend (virtually).

Additional details, including free registration, are available via the link below.

https://www.gc.cuny.edu/events/city-sci ... 956803d48b
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

rjbraun wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:36 pm In case this may be of interest to fellow birders, there will be a virtual event tomorrow evening (February 14, 6:30 pm ET) with the author of a new book entitled Bird Day.

I'm not familiar with the book or its author but do plan to attend (virtually).

Additional details, including free registration, are available via the link below.

https://www.gc.cuny.edu/events/city-sci ... 956803d48b
Thank you. I may try to attend virtually.
Dregob

Post by Dregob »

Spotted in our backyard in NC. It looks like an albino robin but when I looked it up it is a Leucistic Robin. It does not have the pink eyes of a true albino and you can see some faint red on the belly. Still pretty cool! Leucistic Robins frequency is about 1:30,000.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

The other day while driving to work, I saw two crows chasing a hawk. I took a little time at a stop sign to watch (no one was behind me). The crows chased the hawk to a tree, where the hawk settled while the crows kept circling and dive bombing. I didn't have binoculars to identify what kind of hawk, but it was interesting to watch. It's theoretically NOT nesting season for crows in California yet, so I'm not sure if they were defending a nest or just generally keeping the hawk away from the trees where they like to roost and nest.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Mudpuppy wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:36 pm The other day while driving to work, I saw two crows chasing a hawk. I took a little time at a stop sign to watch (no one was behind me). The crows chased the hawk to a tree, where the hawk settled while the crows kept circling and dive bombing. I didn't have binoculars to identify what kind of hawk, but it was interesting to watch. It's theoretically NOT nesting season for crows in California yet, so I'm not sure if they were defending a nest or just generally keeping the hawk away from the trees where they like to roost and nest.
It's fun to watch the smaller birds "dive bomb" and chase, etc. when hawks (and probably eagles) are around. I wonder if it is just a natural instinct against raptors even outside of nesting season. I see it year around with the RT Hawks around here.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Dregob wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:01 pm Image

Spotted in our backyard in NC. It looks like an albino robin but when I looked it up it is a Leucistic Robin. It does not have the pink eyes of a true albino and you can see some faint red on the belly. Still pretty cool! Leucistic Robins frequency is about 1:30,000.
Very interesting! I have seen a couple wintering robins here (eat berries). More should arrive in a couple months.
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

Watched this yesterday.....

About the Episode
Shorebirds fly thousands of miles each year along ancient and largely unknown migratory routes called Flyways. More than 200 species, such as Far Eastern Curlews, Lesser Yellowlegs, Red Knots and Hudsonian Godwits, travel from feeding grounds in the southern hemisphere to breeding grounds in the Arctic and back again, flying up to nine days non-stop without food or water.

But their populations are crashing amidst climate change and urban development. Follow a conservation movement of bird-loving experts and citizen scientists as they mobilize to the challenge of understanding and saving shorebirds.

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/about-flyways/29675/
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWc6-IjPxLI

Sad death down in Captiva.... Lusa has passed. Not sure she was first or second eagg.

H1: 60 days 13 hours 32 minutes
H2: ~ 57 days 15 hours 16 minutes

LadyHawk has videos explaining issues.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu-sAl ... GxQ/videos
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Red-tail munching on a former squirrel in the back yard.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

GBH have never really left. Here's one of 3 that hang out in the neighborhood from yesterday's walk:
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

as far as I know, GBH is only migratory from northern US. They do "disappear" to rookeries in winter so it sometimes appears that they are gone. There is a rookerie near us that has 15-20 nests some seasons.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

livesoft wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:26 am GBH have never really left. Here's one of 3 that hang out in the neighborhood from yesterday's walk:
Awesome!
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

jebmke wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:21 am Red-tail munching on a former squirrel in the back yard.
:shock: