Confused about IRMAA

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
cdc

Confused about IRMAA

Post by cdc »

I turn 63 this year, and need to start thinking about Medicare premiums. My questions have to do with a married couple filing joint tax returns. My spouse is 4 years younger than me. When I take Medicare in 2026, will they look only at my individual 2024 income to determine premiums, or will they look at our joint 2024 income from our tax returns? Does any of this change when my wife turns 65 and enrolls in Medicare?
retiredjg

Re: Confused about IRMAA

Post by retiredjg »

They look at your joint income. Nothing changes when spouse goes on Medicare other than now each of you will pay a Medicare premium....still based on your joint income.
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

retiredjg wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:55 pm They look at your joint income. Nothing changes when spouse goes on Medicare other than now each of you will pay a Medicare premium....still based on your joint income.
Are you sure that is the case for couples that choose married filing separately? Whilst working we always saved a ton of money on our state taxes in Ohio by filing separately.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

bikechuck wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:26 pm
retiredjg wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:55 pm They look at your joint income. Nothing changes when spouse goes on Medicare other than now each of you will pay a Medicare premium....still based on your joint income.
Are you sure that is the case for couples that choose married filing separately? Whilst working we always saved a ton of money on our state taxes in Ohio by filing separately.
The poster asked about married filing jointly, so that is what my reply was for. :happy

I would assume they look at separate incomes if filing separately. I can't imagine any other way.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

If you can be covered by wife's company insurance, you do not have to go on Medicare, you know (just a reminder).
Chip Munk

Post by Chip Munk »

bikechuck wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:26 pm
Just an FYI: The IRMAA surcharges for married filing separately jump up quite quickly: https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11579 ... -costs.pdf