H&R Block 2023 incorrectly reporting taxable IRA distribution

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
whole.enchilada

Re: H&R Block 2023 incorrectly reporting taxable IRA distribution

Post by whole.enchilada »

Headdog wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:08 pm Thanks for this feed. I thought I was crazy. Tonight (2/8) I downloaded the latest HR Block update to Deluxe + e-file. The issue is fixed as far as I can tell. I had to open each 1099-R and go through it changing my answers, clicking next, clicking back, fixing my answer to what it was before and continuing through the questions. Once you do that you see the screen "your distribution is (likely) taxable" and then it recalcuates and populates that field in 1040 4b (and your refund/payment amount updates). I had to do each one separately. There is proabably a faster way, but I am "anal" and wanted to see each distribution updated individually.

The SW is still "not ready", but hopefully we can put this issue "to bed"! Thanks again all!
Same here. Today's update did the trick, after flipping the "inherited" flag off and back on.
tealeaves

Post by tealeaves »

Calc looks fixed but stil getting the following error message after running the accuracy check in preparation for filing.

Issue 1 of 1

Inconsistency
Calculations on form 1099-R from an inherited IRA not inherited from a spouse are not final in this version of the software....
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

Yep, update fixed it. As others have said, just went through the interview again (click, click, click, ...), and then the amount appeared on line 4b as expected.

Didn't bother with accuracy review, because I'm nowhere close to ready to file any returns yet. Waiting for broker tax docs in mid Feb, at least.
If I make a calculation error, #Cruncher probably will let me know.
STLbill

Post by STLbill »

Feb 9, updated Federal and State
Deleted previous 1099R form and re-entered.
Same error message as above, @tealeaves.
Beyond the issue blocking the finish of the return, there was a calculation missing in the worksheet, another spot that needed the taxable amount.
The current form 1040 has the taxable amount in line 4b, but doesn't have a distribution amount in line 4a.
Last year's return had correct amounts in both spots.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

STLbill wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:08 am Feb 9, updated Federal and State
Deleted previous 1099R form and re-entered.
Same error message as above, @tealeaves.
Beyond the issue blocking the finish of the return, there was a calculation missing in the worksheet, another spot that needed the taxable amount.
The current form 1040 has the taxable amount in line 4b, but doesn't have a distribution amount in line 4a.
Last year's return had correct amounts in both spots.
maybe the programmer who is assigned 4a is on vacation this month.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
LRose

Post by LRose »

I updated my HRB 2023 (Windows) software this morning. I went through all my inherited IRAs to indicate that I had not inherited them (this corrected the 4b amount). Then I went back through to indicate that they I had inherited them. The amounts from my inherited IRAs are still not reflecting properly on 4b when I answer the interview question truthfully. It appears to me that the software has not been updated to fix the inherited IRA issue despite what others have said. I’d be glad to be wrong.
LRose

Post by LRose »

Update: I updated the software again and went through all my inherited IRAs. They are now reflected properly in 4b.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

LRose wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:32 am Update: I updated the software again and went through all my inherited IRAs. They are now reflected properly in 4b.
sounds like the first attempt at updating did not install. There is no new update today. It hit earlier this week.
Nich

Post by Nich »

To populate Form 1040 line 4a for an inherited traditional IRA RMD. Right click on box 4a in form and click on override. Type in amount.
Update on 02/09 did not fix problem.
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

After the most recent update, it now report Death Distribution from 1099R as income, so it appears to be working.
vtMaps

Post by vtMaps »

gavinsiu wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:01 am After the most recent update, it now report Death Distribution from 1099R as income, so it appears to be working.
Yes, but it still won't allow you to take a QCD from an inherited IRA. --vtMaps
"Truly, whoever can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" --Voltaire, as translated by Norman Lewis Torrey
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

vtMaps wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:20 am Yes, but it still won't allow you to take a QCD from an inherited IRA. --vtMaps
Probably true, but I am not affected because I don't take QCD and so did not notice. I should probably explore this in the future since I do make charitable contribution

The accurancy is indicating that the module for 1099R is not yet complete, so I suppose there will be more updates. My refund appears to be too large at the moment, so I think something else might be wrong or I messed up some data entry or I overpay estimated tax.
wa1fju

Post by wa1fju »

I have been using TaxCut for 20+ years, but I'm disgusted with their treatment of the inherited non-spousal IRA's. After several updates where they didn't fix the missing income on 1040 line 4b, they finally fixed that only to produce an "inconsistency" preventing filing. And this is after multiple complaints to their technical support from me and others. Purely amateurish.

But today, I finally fixed the problem. I deleted TaxCut off of my laptop, purchased and downloaded TurboTax, e-filed my return and the IRS accepted it three hours later.

I have also called HR Block and demanded my money back. Since I bought TaxCut last October (as a pre-order), I am beyond their 60-day rule for refunds. But I pointed out that 60 days from my purchase would put me in December, 2023, and did they really think that anybody was going to use their software when the current tax year isn't even over? They gave me an e-mail address to plead my case. HR Block is currently "investigating" my issue. We'll see if I ever get a check from them.
maxq

Post by maxq »

I also called to request a refund since they seem to have no ability (or interest??) to fix the issue. I was within 60 days so was able to get a credit card credit approved. The gent I spoke with says he has fielded numerous calls on the issue and issued refunds to many. I had d/l the free ($5 for download) TurboTax from Fidelity and had completed my entries there just to compare it with Block. Block is simpler for me since I'm familiar with it, but TT had the right inherited IRA results in the first edition even before any updates. I think I'll shift to TT from now on.
:sharebeer
nhs76

Post by nhs76 »

STLbill wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:08 am The current form 1040 has the taxable amount in line 4b, but doesn't have a distribution amount in line 4a.
I was curious about this too, but I read somewhere that it's not really required in line 4a unless you have a 1099-R distribution that's only partially taxable, and/or multiple distributions some of which are taxable and some not. I'm not a pro, so take that for what it's worth, but with only one distribution, which is taxable, I'm just going to leave the number in line 4b only. YMMV
maxq

Post by maxq »

nhs76 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:41 pm
STLbill wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:08 am The current form 1040 has the taxable amount in line 4b, but doesn't have a distribution amount in line 4a.
I was curious about this too, but I read somewhere that it's not really required in line 4a unless you have a 1099-R distribution that's only partially taxable, and/or multiple distributions some of which are taxable and some not. I'm not a pro, so take that for what it's worth, but with only one distribution, which is taxable, I'm just going to leave the number in line 4b only. YMMV
FWIW, I looked back at the last 3 years of my H&R Block returns (2020, 2021 and 2022), and 4a is blank on each 1040 but 4b is properly completed. The dummy 2023 return I completed in TurboTax also has a blank 4a and a properly completed 4b.
Last edited by maxq on Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

maxq wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:23 pm
nhs76 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:41 pm
FWIW, I looked back at the last 3 years of my H&R Block returns (2020, 2021 and 2022), and 4a is blank on each 1040 but 4b is properly completed. The dummy 2023 return I completed in TurboTax has entries in both 4a and 4b
I randomly looked at returns back to 2008 - different tax programs -- they are all like this.

edit: if you look at the 1040 instructions for Box 4a it appears (I only skimmed) that this is per IRS instructions.
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

How early can you submit your taxes and not have to worry about errors? Right now, the software is saying that 1099 module is not complete.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

gavinsiu wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:51 pm How early can you submit your taxes and not have to worry about errors? Right now, the software is saying that 1099 module is not complete.
I'm thinking October. Did you have another month in mind?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

gavinsiu wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:51 pm How early can you submit your taxes and not have to worry about errors? Right now, the software is saying that 1099 module is not complete.
Right away if you understand how to do a tax return without using software. If you are relying upon the software to do it correctly without you understanding how all is done on the tax return ... then maybe never.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Depends on how complex your return is. Anywhere from now to never is a good guess.

Anecdotally, I see updates and fixes slow considerably by mid-March. I often strike a pro-forma in late March to make sure I pay what I owe in mid April. Then I let it macerate — sometimes until October. Once until the next January.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

vnatale wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:31 pm
Right away if you understand how to do a tax return without using software. If you are relying upon the software to do it correctly without you understanding how all is done on the tax return ... then maybe never.
Yes. User errors probably outnumber software errors in most software-based applications.

The crash dumps from the IBM 360 I cut my teeth on always closed with “Probable User Error.” Of course, if I were a computer that’s what I would say as well.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

jebmke wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:42 am
vnatale wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:31 pm
Yes. User errors probably outnumber software errors in most software-based applications.

The crash dumps from the IBM 360 I cut my teeth on always closed with “Probable User Error.” Of course, if I were a computer that’s what I would say as well.
Yes, a lot of perceived computer / software errors are really operator (user) errors.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore »

HR Block update available today, a day early.
The inherited IRA from non-spouse bug is now fixed so e-file is permitted. I am finding other bugs that weren't there before so they fixed one thing and changed others.
Murdock7591

Post by Murdock7591 »

Yes it's nice to see that they finally provided an update to correct the Inherited IRA income reporting, but I can't file until they provide another update concerning Form 8962. When I run the accuracy review, it states: The IRS isn't ready to accept returns with the form I have in my return. and they indicate Form 8962. I have to wait for an update. I know other Tax software has let Form 8962 go through and let users file. So again H&R Block disappoints. This is the last year I will be using their product after being a customer for 20 years. Last year I had issues with a simple Scheduled K-1 and after many telephone calls and a case file they told me there was nothing they could do and recommended to mail in my return.

Adios H&R Block
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Murdock7591 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:47 pm Yes it's nice to see that they finally provided an update to correct the Inherited IRA income reporting, but I can't file until they provide another update concerning Form 8962. When I run the accuracy review, it states: The IRS isn't ready to accept returns with the form I have in my return. and they indicate Form 8962. I have to wait for an update. I know other Tax software has let Form 8962 go through and let users file. So again H&R Block disappoints. This is the last year I will be using their product after being a customer for 20 years. Last year I had issues with a simple Scheduled K-1 and after many telephone calls and a case file they told me there was nothing they could do and recommended to mail in my return.

Adios H&R Block
If I couldn't e-file I'd definitely look for an alternative. The time delay to get forms doesn't bother me since I owe them money anyway.
vtMaps

Post by vtMaps »

EagertoLearnMore wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:28 pm HR Block update available today, a day early.
The inherited IRA from non-spouse bug is now fixed so e-file is permitted. I am finding other bugs that weren't there before so they fixed one thing and changed others.
No, it's not fixed. I still have to lie and tell the software that the IRA was not inherited or it won't ask me about QCDs from the inherited IRA.

--vtMaps
"Truly, whoever can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" --Voltaire, as translated by Norman Lewis Torrey
EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore »

Obviously there are many different bugs affecting the HR Block tax software this year.
Are Bogleheads going back to Turbo Tax next year? I like having the downloaded desktop version of tax software, not the online version.
What are other opinions regarding what to purchase next year?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

EagertoLearnMore wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:39 am Obviously there are many different bugs affecting the HR Block tax software this year.
Are Bogleheads going back to Turbo Tax next year? I like having the downloaded desktop version of tax software, not the online version.
What are other opinions regarding what to purchase next year?
Not going back to TT. There are other options - I've never looked into them; IMO eventually every software product has a period with a lot of bugs. Retail tax software is a commodity so the software vendors have outsourced quality assurance to eager early filers. Those of us who wait appreciate their willingness to bug hunt.

Some people use TaxSlayer.
Northster

Post by Northster »

For me at least the inherited IRA issue has been fixed with the latest update. Can now honestly list it as inherited, in addition to the code '4'.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

EagertoLearnMore wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:39 am Obviously there are many different bugs affecting the HR Block tax software this year.
It is not even March yet. What do you know about all the bugs in TurboTax? One of the major bugs of TT is the high cost and obnoxious upsells. I don't think those will ever be fixed. OTOH, without those flaws of TT I doubt that HRB would be so inexpensive.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

livesoft wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:54 am
It is not even March yet. What do you know about all the bugs in TurboTax? One of the major bugs of TT is the high cost and obnoxious upsells. I don't think those will ever be fixed. OTOH, without those flaws of TT I doubt that HRB would be so inexpensive.
In TaxSlayer Pro you can't even file a MD paper return yet (it is sometimes required). The forms have watermarks that say "do not file" even though MD has released the forms.
Texconsin

Post by Texconsin »

It's also miscalculating my tax due. My taxable income is $7,358 and I'm single. The tax rate for the first $10k is 10%. My tax due should be $736 ($735.80 rounded up). H&R Block calculates it as $738, looking at 8, instead of 5.80. It's only $2 but, COME ON. H&R Block is no Turbo Tax. Never again, because now I have to go through every addition, subtraction, multiplication and division in every form and schedule. Absolute trash program.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Texconsin wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:11 pm It's also miscalculating my tax due. My taxable income is $7,358 and I'm single. The tax rate for the first $10k is 10%. My tax due should be $736 ($735.80 rounded up). H&R Block calculates it as $738, looking at 8, instead of 5.80. It's only $2 but, COME ON. H&R Block is no Turbo Tax. Never again, because now I have to go through every addition, subtraction, multiplication and division in every form and schedule. Absolute trash program.
I think that there are various means of computing the tax and I don't think all of them agree to the penny.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

Texconsin wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:11 pm It's also miscalculating my tax due. My taxable income is $7,358 and I'm single...H&R Block calculates it as $738....
And that is correct.

See p. 33 of https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf for
"If your taxable income is less
than $100,000, you must use the Tax Ta-
ble, later in these instructions, to figure
your tax."
and then p. 66 for the table section that applies to you.
Asyouwish

Post by Asyouwish »

Northster wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:53 am For me at least the inherited IRA issue has been fixed with the latest update. Can now honestly list it as inherited, in addition to the code '4'.
Reported correctly for me too. Code 4 and answered the question correctly and taxable populated to 4b.
grogu

Post by grogu »

I ran the latest update, opened and closed the program, hit the "recalculate" button, and nothing changed (still error).

However, I actually went through the retirement/1099-R questions again. I didn't change any of my answers/numbers, but when I reached the end of that section, this time, the software actually DID update my numbers correctly (showing the distribution was taxable). So apparently I had to click through that section for the bug to fix itself.

Glad they finally fixed it, but annoying that it didn't update/recalculate automatically. I'm not sure how many of their other updates impacted information that I previously inputted (i.e., other software errors that I wasn't aware existed). Do I need to go through all of the interview questions again in case there were other errors fixed by other updates??
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

grogu wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:50 am Do I need to go through all of the interview questions again in case there were other errors fixed by other updates??
I would only do this if you spot errors when you review the accuracy of the return or it gags when you attempt to e-file.
vtMaps

Post by vtMaps »

grogu wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:50 am I'm not sure how many of their other updates impacted information that I previously inputted (i.e., other software errors that I wasn't aware existed). Do I need to go through all of the interview questions again in case there were other errors fixed by other updates??
Depends. Do you have independent verification of HR Block's numbers? I do my taxes on a spreadsheet and then use HR Block to print the forms I mail in (I don't efile). If HR Block disagrees with my spreadsheet and I can't figure out why, I post here on Bogleheads. I find that posting here is much more effective than HR Block support. :D

--vtMaps
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

vtMaps wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:14 am
grogu wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:50 am I'm not sure how many of their other updates impacted information that I previously inputted (i.e., other software errors that I wasn't aware existed). Do I need to go through all of the interview questions again in case there were other errors fixed by other updates??
Depends. Do you have independent verification of HR Block's numbers? I do my taxes on a spreadsheet and then use HR Block to print the forms I mail in (I don't efile). If HR Block disagrees with my spreadsheet and I can't figure out why, I post here on Bogleheads. I find that posting here is much more effective than HR Block support. :D

--vtMaps
I do the same. Have Excel worksheets and H&R Block independently with the same numbers input and the results must always agree. Plus, I MUST understand all the results.
masteraleph

Post by masteraleph »

I typically run both TT and H&R Block and compare the results, trying to understand why there are discrepancies. This year I found two bugs with H&R Block, one of which had an easy workaround, the other of which did not (the former was an issue with the child care tax credit, the latter an issue with clergy pay which has been an ongoing issue with H&R Block). Since those were the only discrepancies, and since I know that H&R Block is wrong in both cases, I filed with TT this year.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

masteraleph wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:02 am I typically run both TT and H&R Block and compare the results, trying to understand why there are discrepancies. This year I found two bugs with H&R Block, one of which had an easy workaround, the other of which did not (the former was an issue with the child care tax credit, the latter an issue with clergy pay which has been an ongoing issue with H&R Block). Since those were the only discrepancies, and since I know that H&R Block is wrong in both cases, I filed with TT this year.
Easier for me to just review the completed return. There are very few calculations beyond addition and subtraction. A multiplication or division gets thrown in there from time to time but I'm still on top of my game - I can do it!