[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jjunk

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by jjunk »

Finally finished Monarch on AppleTV. Still didnt like it but glad we finished it as it seems to set up the upcoming Godzilla/King movie. They just needed more kaijus and this would have been good, as it was, it was kinda boring and not well acted IMO.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Currently watching Lonesome Dove. Recorded it on the DVR when it was on the Grit network. I'm currently time constrained so I have to watch bit by bit. It's hard to believe it's been 35 years since I first watched it.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
id0ntkn0wjack

Post by id0ntkn0wjack »

Just finished the final episode of Picard — aka Geriatrics in Space— on Paramount+. Definitely a nostalgia-offering as the acting and storytelling leave much to be desired.

OTOH Finished episode one of the Woman in the Wall starring Ruth Wilson of Luther infamy. Her overbite is enough to keep me glued to the screen.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt21822590/
I moved 10% of my equities into BLV (Vanguard Long Term Bond ETF) in January 2021. Follow my advice at your own peril.
alexbogle

Post by alexbogle »

Tokyo vice on hbo max. If you like true detective, you will probably also like this show.

American gets a job as a news reporter at a prestigious newspaper in Japan. He learns how the city works, making connections with police and yakuza. Set around 2000.

Very well done.

May not be for everyone but try the first episode to get a good feel for the show.
"Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It’s cheaper!” -- Jack Bogle
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Elsebet wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:54 pm Finished these two series recently:

The Crown Season 6- streaming on Netflix - liked it overall, very somber season

Fargo Season 5 - streaming on Hulu - really enjoyed it, although while I like John Hamm as an actor I wasn't 100% sold on his role in this one. Juno Temple was amazing though!
I just started season 2 of Fargo, enjoying it, but there was at least one technical inaccuracy, they said "casserole", Minnesota is not Hollywood, don't you know. What's the next inaccuracy, duck, duck, goose?
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

alexbogle wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:29 am Tokyo vice on hbo max. If you like true detective, you will probably also like this show.

American gets a job as a news reporter at a prestigious newspaper in Japan. He learns how the city works, making connections with police and yakuza. Set around 2000.

Very well done.

May not be for everyone but try the first episode to get a good feel for the show.
I haven't started the second season, but I enjoyed the first season. It was something different.
unix_joe

Post by unix_joe »

Dark on Netflix.
- unix joe | 60/40 US/Intl | Debian on a ThinkPad
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Scott & Bailey, on Amazon Prime with Britbox.

This is a police drama set in Manchester, England. It is well written, well acted, and generally well done but much darker than I prefer. I stopped in Season 3 of the 5 seasons of the series.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean »

ruralavalon wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:07 am Scott & Bailey, on Amazon Prime with Britbox.

This is a police drama set in Manchester, England. It is well written, well acted, and generally well done but much darker than I prefer. I stopped in Season 3 of the 5 seasons of the series.
I enjoyed this show very much. I agree with your comments. I thought there were great plots, interesting detective work, fascinating characters, and snappy dialog. Very entertaining.

In addition to the darkness of some of the stories, one other aspect (in the early seasons) may be a little off-putting for some. The strong admirable characters are only women. The male characters -- whether detectives, spouses, lovers -- are typically portrayed as weak, lazy, incompetent, nasty, or evil. Some viewers may consider that a plus. It didn't bother me, an old guy. I later read some reviews commenting on that feature of the show.

Overall, I thought it was great.
"Well, she was just seventeen, You Know What I Mean, and the way she looked... was way beyond compare."
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

You Know What I Mean wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:07 pm
ruralavalon wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:07 am Scott & Bailey, on Amazon Prime with Britbox.

I enjoyed this show very much. I agree with your comments. I thought there were great plots, interesting detective work, fascinating characters, and snappy dialog. Very entertaining.

In addition to the darkness of some of the stories, one other aspect (in the early seasons) may be a little off-putting for some. The strong admirable characters are only women. The male characters -- whether detectives, spouses, lovers -- are typically portrayed as weak, lazy, incompetent, nasty, or evil. Some viewers may consider that a plus. It didn't bother me, an old guy. I later read some reviews commenting on that feature of the show.

Overall, I thought it was great.
I noticed this too, "The male characters -- whether detectives, spouses, lovers -- are typically portrayed as weak, lazy, incompetent, nasty, or evil. " But this is not the reason I am abandoning the series
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

cheese_breath wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:54 pm Currently watching Lonesome Dove. Recorded it on the DVR when it was on the Grit network. I'm currently time constrained so I have to watch bit by bit. It's hard to believe it's been 35 years since I first watched it.
It’s on either Hoopla or Kanopy. Both free with a library card and no ads. Might still be on the ROKU channel with ads.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

After much, much advertising that Tracker would debut immediately after the Super Bowl, only the teaser trailer was available yesterday on Paramount+. And some episodes later this week on CBS. I guess the OT had CBS in a scramble :D , but what happened at P+?

I see it's available today on Paramount + and will give it a try soon.

Only after watching the trailer did I realize it's based on the Colter Shaw character by Jeffery Deaver. I've read all of those novels.
black jack

Post by black jack »

Today I discovered that a childhood favorite, The Wild, Wild West, is available on Amazon Prime. 100+ episodes to look forward to.

[I'd forgotten that it was cancelled in 1969 after it's fourth season, while still getting good ratings, as a sop to a Congressional effort to curb violence in television after the assassinations and other violent incidents of 1968. That was a simpler time, before mass shootings became a weekly occurrence while we have hit shows featuring Mafia dons, drug cartels, special forces operatives and serial murderers, while Members of Congress send out holiday cards depicting themselves brandishing assault weapons. So much for the Whig view of history :oops: ]
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

Latest season of True Detective on HBO. My wife likes it, I think it is very bad.
Blues

Post by Blues »

abner kravitz wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:53 pm Latest season of True Detective on HBO. My wife likes it, I think it is very bad.
If nothing else, it is agonizingly slow.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Blues wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:08 pm
abner kravitz wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:53 pm Latest season of True Detective on HBO. My wife likes it, I think it is very bad.
If nothing else, it is agonizingly slow.
Completely agree with both of you. It is levels and levels below all the preceding seasons, which were all uniformly good. This season feels like work to get through and I do a lot of looking in X (former Twitter) while I'm "watching". In other words, it does not come close to capturing my full attention.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Just finished season 1 of "Beyond Paradise" on Britbox. This is a spin-off featuring DI Humphrey from "Death in Paradise". Season 2 is forthcoming.
We liked it We never watched "Death in Paradise" and we'll go back and start watching that. They also just announced another spin-off, "Return to Paradise" which is a sort of Australian version of the BBC "Paradise" premise taking place on the Australian coast.

Coincidentally, for my morning workout TV, I'm watching "Almost Paradise" on Freevee, which takes place in Cebu, the Philippines, featuring Christian Kane ("Leverage") as an ex-DEA agent attempting to retire to a resort area. Note that this show has nothing to do with "Beyond Paradise", "Death in Paradise" or "Return to Paradise".
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

Streaming old episodes of “Dragnet” on Tubi.
“Stay the Course” - My Portfolio (BND, FXNAX, MGV, VT, VXUS), Spouse’s Portfolio (BND, VEA, VGSH, VOO)
gailwinters

Post by gailwinters »

black jack wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:46 pm Enemy at the Door.

A UK dramatic series (2 seasons, 13 episodes each, 54:00 minutes per episode), produced around 1978, about the German occupation of the UK Channel Islands during WWII (this is a TV show, not a documentary). There are two strands to the show: the interaction between the islanders and the enemy occupiers in the course of a years-long "peaceful" occupation; and the interaction between the German officers who are in charge of the occupation, showing office politics and conflict between the regular Army and Gestapo over how to handle issues that arise [I enjoy shows (and books) that humanize rather than demonize one's enemies].

It's on Freevee and has ads. The interruptions are irksome, but as LadyGeek observed above,
The nice part is that you get a timer [almost always] and know how long the ads will last. I mute my audio when there are ads. Every ad, all the time. The silence is peaceful.
I’m so glad I saw you mention this! I expected my husband to enjoy it, as he loves most everything WWII related, but I was surprised to find that I also found it quite compelling. We are on the second season and it’s just as good as the first. The conflicts between the German Army and the Gestapo are fascinating.
Chip Munk

Post by Chip Munk »

We just finished watching the Christmas Special for the last season of "All Creatures Great and Small" so I was happy to read today that the show has been renewed for two new seasons (5 & 6) consisting of six episodes each plus Christmas Specials. https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sp ... ece-on-pbs

Returning for the fifth season is Nicholas Ralph as vet James Herriot, and Samuel West as his mercurial mentor Siegfried Farnon. Anna Madeley returns as the matriarch of Skeldale House Mrs. Hall, along with Rachel Shenton as the charismatic Helen... James Anthony-Rose also reappears as Richard Carmody. Also returning is Patricia Hodge as the wonderfully sophisticated Mrs Pumphrey, and her adored pampered Pekingese Tricki. Callum Woodhouse also returns to his role as Tristan Farnon, Siegfried’s mischievous brother who has been serving in the Royal Army Veterinary Corps.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

Watched first episode of the 2nd season of "Who Killed Sara?"

Excellent and well-done series. Definitely keeps coming up with a lot of unforeseen twists in it.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."