Repayment of prior year income, Georgia income taxes for Non Resident

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Bcdkgf

Repayment of prior year income, Georgia income taxes for Non Resident

Post by Bcdkgf »

It was fairly straight forward on how to get a Federal tax credit for repayments on the return of prior years income (Mini worksheet on 1099). However, I have run into a migraine inducing problem with getting back Georgia taxes we paid in 2020.

The backstory. My husband was terminated in 2020. He filled out the online forms to the best of his ability and was granted unemployment compensation. Last year, (2023) the GA DOL decided it was an error and he had to pay most of it back (around $7,500)., which he did.

Now, the problem is Georgia Taxes. We have not been residents for 2 years. I don't see how to enter this on the H&R Block GA. The difference in total taxes owed that year minus taxes owed had we not received the unemployment income, is $434. $434 is not insignificant. When I called the GA Dept of Revenue for tax help, the clerk could not give me any help.

I hate to give up, but I don't want to drive to Georgia and pay big bucks to an accountant or tax prep service. My husband can't be the only one facing this.
Women and men plan, the Gods laugh.
Topic Author
Bcdkgf

Re: Repayment of prior year income, Georgia income taxes for Non Resident

Post by Bcdkgf »

Anyone familiar with Georgia taxes that can help us?
PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

I'm not at all familiar with Georgia taxation. But isn't it a matter of filing an amended tax return for 2020 that includes only the amount you actually now have received? Did the GA DOL give you an updated tax statement indicating the amount you actually now received?
Topic Author
Bcdkgf

Post by Bcdkgf »

GA DOL has not seen fit to send us anything other than a bill for the amount they wanted back. It is impossible to get hold of a human, the email we sent them in the beginning of December when we received the bill remains unanswered.

The Feds are explicit in how to recover this tax amount. First you figure the 2020 taxes with and without the amount and then claim the difference on Schedule 3, part 2, line 13b, on your 2023 tax return. It's called credit for repayment of amounts included in income from earlier years. This amount does not transfer over to the Georgia form using H&R Block (and regardless for GA it is a different amount). I see no equivalent lines on the Georgia form.

$7,535.00 is the amount we paid back, $1657 is the overpayment amount for federal taxes. We made too much money in 2020 for any of the unemployment income to be tax free. And GA did not participate in making any of it tax free, regardless of total income.

We have not efiled the Federal return yet.