Using Fidelity Account for US Treasury Direct

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
JRR9000

Using Fidelity Account for US Treasury Direct

Post by JRR9000 »

I got a Fidelity bank account yesterday and tried to associate it with my US Treasury Direct account - I did this by calling hoping to avoid getting locked out of my account. I gave them both the super long 16 digit account number as well as the short version and US Treasury direct said neither would work. They said typically it's an 11-12 digit number, but my Fidelity account number doesn't fit that number limit.

How do you figure out which version of your account number to give US Treasury Direct? Has anyone with a Fidelity account done this? I tried calling Fidelity - first they said to use the long number, then the short one, but USTD wouldn't accept either one. Talked with Fidelity again and they said the long and short version of the account number are my two options. Since neither of those work with USTD, not sure what to do.
Last edited by JRR9000 on Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
dual

Re: Using Fidelity Account for US Treasury Direct

Post by dual »

I have had my Fidelity money market account/bank associated with my treasury direct account for many years. On their website, Fidelity tells you the account number and ABA number to use for the account. My recollection is that is what I used when I signed up.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

cmc89585 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:55 am I got a Fidelity bank account yesterday and tried to associate it with my US Treasury Direct account - I did this by calling hoping to avoid getting locked out of my account. I gave them both the super long 16 digit account number as well as the short version and US Treasury direct said neither would work. They said typically it's an 11-12 digit number, but my Fidelity account number doesn't fit that number limit.

How do you figure out which version of your account number to give US Treasury Direct? Has anyone with a Fidelity account done this? I tried calling Fidelity - first they said to use the long number, then the short one, but USTD wouldn't accept either one. Talked with Fidelity again and they said the long and short version of the account number are my two options. Since neither of those work with USTD, not sure what to do.
I added my Fido CMA to TD. I used the really long account number, it was the one that Fidelity says to use for direct deposit, and gives a routing number to go along with it.
Topic Author
JRR9000

Post by JRR9000 »

anon_investor wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:19 am
cmc89585 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:55 am I got a Fidelity bank account yesterday and tried to associate it with my US Treasury Direct account - I did this by calling hoping to avoid getting locked out of my account. I gave them both the super long 16 digit account number as well as the short version and US Treasury direct said neither would work. They said typically it's an 11-12 digit number, but my Fidelity account number doesn't fit that number limit.

I added my Fido CMA to TD. I used the really long account number, it was the one that Fidelity says to use for direct deposit, and gives a routing number to go along with it.
Thanks! Wow - they wouldn't take the really long number when I tried.
Topic Author
JRR9000

Post by JRR9000 »

dual wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:59 am I have had my Fidelity money market account/bank associated with my treasury direct account for many years. On their website, Fidelity tells you the account number and ABA number to use for the account. My recollection is that is what I used when I signed up.
Thanks! Not sure what's going on. Fidelity told me to try just giving them the last 10 digits of the account number. Am going to try that next. So glad I didn't try to do this online or I would probably never get back in to my USTD account.
mbltna

Post by mbltna »

anon_investor wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:19 am I added my Fido CMA to TD. I used the really long account number, it was the one that Fidelity says to use for direct deposit, and gives a routing number to go along with it.
Ditto. It took the 17 digit account number online without any issues. It would be sad if their website and what the support folks interact with have different restrictions.
Topic Author
JRR9000

Post by JRR9000 »

mbltna wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:27 am
anon_investor wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:19 am I added my Fido CMA to TD. I used the really long account number, it was the one that Fidelity says to use for direct deposit, and gives a routing number to go along with it.
Ditto. It took the 17 digit account number online without any issues. It would be sad if their website and what the support folks interact with have different restrictions.
Thanks! Did you do that recently? I'm tempted to try adding it online if I can't get this to happen over the phone but then who knows if I'll get locked out for eternity.
PghPharmBoy

Post by PghPharmBoy »

cmc89585 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:32 am
Thanks! Did you do that recently? I'm tempted to try adding it online if I can't get this to happen over the phone but then who knows if I'll get locked out for eternity.
Anecdotally, I did this just yesterday (3/15). I had been locked out of my account (unrelated to adding Fidelity). Once I got back in (after a long phone wait), I was able to add my Fidelity CMA on the website. I used the account number that Fidelity provided by going to the "Direct Deposit" section of my CMA.

TD accepted it online without issue. I haven't tried to move money yet, but it did take the very long account number and I didn't get banished for life for trying :mrgreen:
Topic Author
JRR9000

Post by JRR9000 »

PghPharmBoy wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:45 am
Anecdotally, I did this just yesterday (3/15). I had been locked out of my account (unrelated to adding Fidelity). Once I got back in (after a long phone wait), I was able to add my Fidelity CMA on the website. I used the account number that Fidelity provided by going to the "Direct Deposit" section of my CMA.

TD accepted it online without issue. I haven't tried to move money yet, but it did take the very long account number and I didn't get banished for life for trying :mrgreen:
That's great to hear - thanks! When I talked to USTD just now, they wouldn't accept any of the versions of my fidelity account I tried to give them as they said they couldn't locate the bank and I would need to submit the dreaded 5515 form. I'm going to try doing it online later today. Fingers crossed.
PghPharmBoy

Post by PghPharmBoy »

Let us know what happens!

As a note, I entered the bank name as "UMB, NA" since that's who administers (is that the right word?) the Fidelity CMA. Other posters have said that the bank name doesn't matter --- but this could be why they "couldn't find the bank" when you called them. The R/T number belongs to UMB out of Missouri.

Best of luck!
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

cmc89585 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:46 am
PghPharmBoy wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:45 am

That's great to hear - thanks! When I talked to USTD just now, they wouldn't accept any of the versions of my fidelity account I tried to give them as they said they couldn't locate the bank and I would need to submit the dreaded 5515 form. I'm going to try doing it online later today. Fingers crossed.
I added mine online maybe a month ago or so.

Post by 3000 »

When I created my TD account I provided the 17 digit account number, I did not have the shorter number at the time because I didn't have checks for the account, and it took it without a problem.
Topic Author
JRR9000

Post by JRR9000 »

PghPharmBoy wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:26 pm Let us know what happens!

As a note, I entered the bank name as "UMB, NA" since that's who administers (is that the right word?) the Fidelity CMA. Other posters have said that the bank name doesn't matter --- but this could be why they "couldn't find the bank" when you called them. The R/T number belongs to UMB out of Missouri.

Best of luck!
Good to know - this is probably right! I'm going to wait until tomorrow to try adding my Fidelity account. I had another issue I had to deal with today and wasn't sure my heart could take dealing with USTD on the same day. Will update tomorrow on how it goes. :happy
Topic Author
JRR9000

Post by JRR9000 »

3000 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:20 pm When I created my TD account I provided the 17 digit account number, I did not have the shorter number at the time because I didn't have checks for the account, and it took it without a problem.
That's reassuring to hear. Thanks!
Topic Author
JRR9000

Post by JRR9000 »

I was able to add the Fidelity account to USTD - doing it online was a breeze. :happy

Thanks everyone for your help!
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

cmc89585 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:51 pm I was able to add the Fidelity account to USTD - doing it online was a breeze. :happy

Thanks everyone for your help!
:sharebeer
KarlJ

Post by KarlJ »

As with others posting, I never had a problem as Fidelity makes it easy to access the numbers, but apparently many TD customers in general do have this problem. When I was on hold for an hour waiting to talk with TD, the recording repeatedly urged adding a new bank account to the TD account while on hold.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

KarlJ wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:35 am As with others posting, I never had a problem as Fidelity makes it easy to access the numbers, but apparently many TD customers in general do have this problem. When I was on hold for an hour waiting to talk with TD, the recording repeatedly urged adding a new bank account to the TD account while on hold.
TD did take away the ability to add bank accounts online for about 2 years. It was only semi-recently allowed again. There have been a few threads about it. When they restored the ability to add bank accounts online, my spouse and I both added multiple bank accounts, the paper form used to require a signature guarantee, not sure if it still does.
Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor »

You can use both numbers but probably the easiest thing for you to do is to use the routine and account numbers on your checks. The routing number is for UMB (standard 9 digits) and then the account number is 13 numbers. I've never had any problems with using checks as the source of coding information.
dh

Post by dh »

JRR9000 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:55 am I got a Fidelity bank account yesterday and tried to associate it with my US Treasury Direct account - I did this by calling hoping to avoid getting locked out of my account. I gave them both the super long 16 digit account number as well as the short version and US Treasury direct said neither would work. They said typically it's an 11-12 digit number, but my Fidelity account number doesn't fit that number limit.

I am resurrecting this thread as I want to link my Fidelity CMA to Treasury Direct. Did people have success by using the account and routing numbers printed on their checks, or use numbers associated with the account on the Fidelity website? I would prefer to do this through Treasury Direct's website rather than have a long phone call. Any suggestions would be appreciated.