Question about primary vs secondary rental car insurance

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
hmw

Question about primary vs secondary rental car insurance

Post by hmw »

If my cc has only secondary rental car insurance, I understand that I am supposed to use my own car insurance first, and therefore subject to deductibles and possible future auto insurance premium increases.

What if I don't own a car and therefore have no auto insurance, will the CC rental insurance becomes primary without no deductibles? What if I have auto insurance but no comprehensive coverage?

Thanks
MGBMartin

Re: Question about primary vs secondary rental car insurance

Post by MGBMartin »

It’s my understanding that CC CDW insurance of the secondary type becomes primary if you don’t have a personal auto insurance policy.
Bad spellers of the world untie | Autocorrect is my worst enema
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

MGBMartin wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:12 am It’s my understanding that CC CDW insurance of the secondary type becomes primary if you don’t have a personal auto insurance policy.
Mine too, but it might be a good idea to get liability coverage from the rental car company, if the renter had no private auto insurance.
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

CardinalRule wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:27 pm
MGBMartin wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:12 am It’s my understanding that CC CDW insurance of the secondary type becomes primary if you don’t have a personal auto insurance policy.
Mine too, but it might be a good idea to get liability coverage from the rental car company, if the renter had no private auto insurance.
Or get a CC that provides primary coverage to begin with.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

Liability is the concern. How are you covering yourself?
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
Topic Author
hmw

Post by hmw »

MGBMartin wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:28 pm
I usually pay $20 to Amex to get primary rental car coverage if I don't have a cc that offers primary coverage.
Topic Author
hmw

Post by hmw »

pizzy wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:30 pm Liability is the concern. How are you covering yourself?
Does my own auto-insurance cover liability if I don't have comprehensive coverage on my own car?
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

hmw wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:40 pm
pizzy wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:30 pm Liability is the concern. How are you covering yourself?
Does my own auto-insurance cover liability if I don't have comprehensive coverage on my own car?
Mine does.
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Check your coverage. Hard for anyone to know if your have bodily injury or property damage liability insurance. :wink:
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

hmw wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:39 pm
I usually pay $20 to Amex to get primary rental car coverage if I don't have a cc that offers primary coverage.
That’s what I use.
I think it’s $15 in my state for the entire rental, used to be $10.
Topic Author
hmw

Post by hmw »

CardinalRule wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:17 pm
Check your coverage. Hard for anyone to know if your have bodily injury or property damage liability insurance. :wink:
I think I have pretty good auto liability insurance. On top of that, I have an umbrella policy as well.
zero_coupon

Post by zero_coupon »

But why would primary coverage from a CC be any better, given that secondary coverage from a CC becomes primary in the specified use case?
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

zero_coupon wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:32 pm
But why would primary coverage from a CC be any better, given that secondary coverage from a CC becomes primary in the specified use case?
I believe some of the cards that offer primary insurance have better benefits than the cards that are secondary insurance; things like limits, rental periods or countries. I’ve not done a side by side comparison though.