Massage Chairs

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
exoilman

Massage Chairs

Post by exoilman »

Any seniors out there who bought a massage chair? We are in our seventies with everyday aches and pains. Just wondering if they are beneficial.

Thanks
Sam
UpperNwGuy

Re: Massage Chairs

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I am a senior, and I always pay to use the massage chairs in the airports. They are wonderful. Like you, I am eager to hear whether they work well in a home environment.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

You'd be better off paying for a massage therapist to come to your home once or twice a month. It's definitely beneficial. If you can afford a massage chair, you can afford that.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (chair).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Beefriendly

Post by Beefriendly »

These are overpriced. You are better off using a massage therapist. Please check to see how much it would cost to get it hauled away. These are going to create an awful lot of garbage in the landfills. Nobody will want a used one
squirm

Post by squirm »

Well you don't need to be a senior to have everyday aches, just ask me.
I did have one of those big massage chairs, i found it worked ok. But i eventually sold it and got one of those smaller portable ones that you put on a chair. I take it on trips when we travel by car, so i can just throw it in the trunk. This way when we're at, say, an amusement park with the kids, at the end of the day i can either have my wife massage my back or the massager.
Overall I'm not sure if their worth it, but i don't like anyone touching me except the wife, so i don't do the massage therapist thing.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

I’m in my 30s but have had a major back surgery and have issues with my lower back tightening up among other things.

I have a massage chair and it is excellent. The posters above suggesting going to a massage therapist a few times a month are off base. While the massage chair is not a substitute for getting a real massage, it helps me go longer between massages and can help when I throw my back out doing something and I just need some quick relief. If I do some yard work and my back is bothering me, I don’t want to wait a few days for a masssage appointment. The massage chair is excellent at dealing with these types of flare ups.

I will say it’s important to get the right chair. I’ve tried 20 or 30 over the last few years in stores and friends houses etc and only a handful helped. Usually they don’t get deep enough to be helpful. I happened to be at Costco and they were demoing the Brio Sport chair. It was one of the few I’ve tried that get deep enough to be effective. I paid $4 or $5k and I couldn’t be happier.

Instead of getting a massage 2x a week I’m down to 1x a month and I can get immediate relief in my house whenever I have a flare up.
mx711yam

Post by mx711yam »

Not your age bracket but I have a supernovo and it is wonderful. You can get it through Costco for 8k. Worth every penny.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Brookstone had some excellent portable back and neck massagers, but what I use now several times a week is the Ajna acupressure mat and pillow, in blue, from Amazon. Truly doesn’t hurt, just takes a try or to to get used to.

Tried an upholstered massage chair once at an airport spa (vs the more common massage stool) but found it a little too much. Happy hunting!
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

I love my chair. Purchased it maybe a decade ago and still going strong. It’s no substitute for a real massage but it’s easily and quickly available in my home.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

mx711yam wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:03 am Not your age bracket but I have a supernovo and it is wonderful. You can get it through Costco for 8k. Worth every penny.
For $8k, you could get an actual massage, from someone who knows what they’re doing, every other week for 3 years.
squirm

Post by squirm »

quantAndHold wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:59 pm
mx711yam wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:03 am Not your age bracket but I have a supernovo and it is wonderful. You can get it through Costco for 8k. Worth every penny.
For $8k, you could get an actual massage, from someone who knows what they’re doing, every other week for 3 years.
I don't have a fancy massage chair like that but one benefit of the massage chair is using it anytime.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

squirm wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:31 pm
quantAndHold wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:59 pm
I don't have a fancy massage chair like that but one benefit of the massage chair is using it anytime.
If it’s between a chair with a motor in it that I could use anytime, and three years of regular massages from a skilled professional, I’ll take the skilled professional every time. The chair moves around and looks cute. A professional fixes stuff.
avburns

Post by avburns »

I bought a massage chair because my back often hurts, and it's helped with daily pains. The one I chose is called the Relaxer PR-505. It's very comfortable and helps me feel better without going anywhere.

I also started going to a chiropractor Oshawa named Alessandro. He's fantastic. After just a few visits, about four or five times, I began to feel much better. He knows his stuff and always makes sure I'm comfortable. I've noticed a significant improvement between his treatments and my massage chair.
Last edited by avburns on Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
torso2500

Post by torso2500 »

As much as I like a good massage chair, the ones that do something significant are soooooo pricey. I find I get noticeable results from using a Theracane regularly, in between occasional professional massage therapy. Much more cost effective!
rickcrna

Post by rickcrna »

Perhaps consider visiting with a reputable physical therapist. They will likely tailor a movement/exercise program to mitigate those aches and pains. Purchasing a massage chair may not be the most beneficial to your well-being.
beachtech

Post by beachtech »

Are you close to a Planet Fitness gym by any chance? They have massage chairs and hydromassage beds available at the $25/mo price point that you could try to see if you like it. (If you are seniors and have Silver Sneakers, it’s substantially discounted to about $13/mo.)

Personally I like the hydromassage after a workout.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Beefriendly wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:46 pm These are overpriced. You are better off using a massage therapist. Please check to see how much it would cost to get it hauled away. These are going to create an awful lot of garbage in the landfills. Nobody will want a used one
A nearby mall has massage chairs in the main hallway that people can pay to use. People use these used massage chairs all the time. So I'm thinking that there probably is a market for used ones.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

If we stick to the subject of buying a massage chair, rather than debating whether to pay for massages, which is a completely different experience, here is my take:

I run a lot and I always wanted like a calf massager or foot massager and I had a cheap one of those that I really loved. So that started me to think whether I should buy a massage chair. The ones in furniture stores are very expensive and I couldn’t bring myself to pull the trigger on three or $4000 (let alone 8000).

So I gave this a shot on Amazon:
https://a.co/d/enCEN18

It it was around $800 I believe. I am 6 foot one and the legs are spring loaded, so to fit me and I have to push on it. My wife who is 5’6” really likes it. However, she has lower standards than me. Overall, it is pretty chincy and I wish I would not have bought it.

I did recently demo a $3000 one in a furniture store and thought it was pretty good. Tempted to go that route.

Take away don’t buy a bargain basement one
ondarvr

Post by ondarvr »

We've had one for a very long time, it works OK, and newer ones are better.

They are like hot tubs, only easier to maintain, initially it gets used frequently, then after a while you forget it's there.

It needs to be located where it's easy to use or you end up forgetting about it, and many aren't very comfortable as a chair to just sit on/in, so they may not be good in a room that needs comfortable seating.

Ours is rarely used and I forget we even have one 99% of the time.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

As a non-senior I researched massage chairs and didn't find one that seemed worth it. I ended up buying a Migun therapy bed. Not cheap, but does a good job on neck and back. It is marketed as a medical device, so with an Rx (required for purchase when I bought mine) it can be purchased as same which can help defray the cost. Mine has held up well for 20 years or so. 30 minutes on the Migun is not as good as some massage therapists that I have experienced, but it is also better than some massage therapists that I have experienced.

I considered it "worth it" back when massage was $60/h, and with some in my area now priced at close to $200/h I consider the Migun "well worth it."
PharmerBrown

Post by PharmerBrown »

We bought an Osim uSpace from Brookstone about 15 years ago. It's been great. We're able to keep it in our bedroom, which makes it much more convenient.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I pooh poohed the idea of massage seats in my new car (ordered but no delivered yet), but my wife and I found them surprisingly good when we did test drives. Part of the reason for the new car is that I had back pain after a 3 hour drive.

For me, the best is still a sauna.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:56 am I pooh poohed the idea of massage seats in my new car (ordered but no delivered yet), but my wife and I found them surprisingly good when we did test drives. Part of the reason for the new car is that I had back pain after a 3 hour drive.

For me, the best is still a sauna.
I’ve got massage seats in my 2022 Mercedes E450 and they help keep my back feeling fresh on a long drive but they won’t fix my back if it’s really bad. I’m glad I have them as I do drive a lot, but it’s a totally different level than a home massage chair (which I also have, see my post above).

Also, each auto maker does massage differently. The massage in the Genesis is better than Mercedes but I didn’t like other aspects of the car. For some reason the latest generation BMW 5 series no longer offers massage option, but the luxury seating package seats are way, way more comfortable than the multi contour seats in my Mercedes, so I’d gladly give up the massage for those seats which suit me better.