Carpet Cleaning: how often and any experience with Stanley Steemer?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
NYCaviator

Carpet Cleaning: how often and any experience with Stanley Steemer?

Post by NYCaviator »

How often do you get your carpet cleaned, and does anyone have experience with Stanley Steemer?

There are lots of mom-and-pop operations that are a little cheaper, but I like that Stanley uses EPA "better choice" (or whatever it is called) cleaning agents, and they've been around forever so I assume they know what they are doing. Last mom-and-pop we used was cheap, but our condo smelled like strong fragrance and chemicals for a week. It was not worth the (literal) headache.
Mr. Rumples

Re: Carpet Cleaning: how often and any experience with Stanley Steemer?

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Showed up at my neighbor's and asked for the "tip" before starting. She was so upset she called me; I told them to leave. Ask up front for the tipping policy.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
Topic Author
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:18 pm Showed up at my neighbor's and asked for the "tip" before starting. She was so upset she called me; I told them to leave. Ask up front for the tipping policy.
:shock: I would have told them to leave too. I guess it depends on the franchise you end up working with.
bendix

Post by bendix »

Why wouldnt you buy a mid-range machine yourself, roughly $200, and do it yourself? You could even rent one, even though I have hesitations as I dont want other peoplse´s dirt in my house.

I had Stanley Steemer here for gutter cleaning and a proposal for duct cleaning and they seem very expensive. Not sure that´s the case everywhere.
hershey102d

Post by hershey102d »

Used SS for years but was disappointed that they don’t clean the carpet next to the baseboard, the dirt called filtration soil. It needs to be cleaned with solution and agitated in order to loosen the soil. The stain can then be removed with a crevice tool. Acquired my own shampooer for $200 and now do a couple rooms at a time on poor fishing days.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

We rent the machine at the grocery store or HD and do the the carpets every 1-2 years depending on use and weather. We let the carpet fully dry, then vacuum several times. The carpets still look good after 8 years.
AgentOrange

Post by AgentOrange »

My one and only experience with them was disappointing. This was about ten years ago.
My "crew" would not clean any stains you didn't point out to them - so if you didn't have them memorized or mapped out, they would still be there when they left.
My cat had thrown up the night before, not too bad, and I cleaned it superficially, thinking that I had professional cleaners coming the next day, and they would do a much better job than I could.
Wrong.
I could have, and should have cleaned it myself, the stain was still there when they finished.
Perhaps it's just me, but to me their name Stanley Steemer, implies that they use steam to clean and sanitize your carpet.
At one point, one of the guys put down his cleaning tool, still running, to go look at something, and it was emitting "steam". I quickly ran my hand in the vapor, and to my surprise, it was cool, like the mist from a humidifier. So they don't, at least my crew, did not use "steam" at all. Kinda useless if you ask me, they are just wetting and helping the bacteria already in your carpet.
Since then, I have sought anybody else to clean my carpets.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

A carpet expert told us to never use one of these outfits.

I’m not an expert though.
Their opinion was that this process leaves chemicals or soaps in the carpet. And the carpet then gets dirtier even faster. Like the dust and dirt stick to it almost.

My very casual observations of other people carpets who have done this; it seems plausible. They didn’t stay looking clean for long.

Anybody that has physically removed carpet knows what a disgusting collection of dirt, skin, hair, etc it is. Unfortunately there is no way to remove all that.
Circe

Post by Circe »

bendix wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:25 pm Why wouldnt you buy a mid-range machine yourself, roughly $200, and do it yourself? You could even rent one, even though I have hesitations as I dont want other peoplse´s dirt in my house.

I had Stanley Steemer here for gutter cleaning and a proposal for duct cleaning and they seem very expensive. Not sure that´s the case everywhere.
Is there a brand name of cleaner that you would recommend?

I had used a service a few years ago after my dog got sick. They did a good job but the next time I called them, they "cleaned" but it was not with steam; they said it wasn't working but that they could still do a good job. They could not. I've been reluctant to call anyone else since then so perhaps purchasing a small machine might work.
life_force_prana

Post by life_force_prana »

Like someone said depends on which franchisee you get. I have used SS and they have been fine. Some of the coupons on their site work but their online quote is what they charge unless you change job vs quote even slightly.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

NYCaviator wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:06 pm How often do you get your carpet cleaned, and does anyone have experience with Stanley Steemer?
Both times I have purchased a home, I have rented a generic steam cleaner from the local big box store. I just checked and it is $40 for a 24 hour rental at my local store.

Judging from the quality of the water that I emptied out of it ever few minutes, it did a wonderful job. I nearly gagged at all that it pulled out of the carpets. We used some generic soap so it smelled a little bit for a day or two after but nothing I felt was unbearable. Probably the biggest mistake I made was doing this during the hot and very humid end of July the last time I rented one. It took at least three days to get the carpet dried out. Granted it has a very weak air conditioner that we later replaced but I would make sure I leave adequate drying time before moving in. We spent those three days trying to keep boxes piled up in the tiled areas or garage waiting for the carpet to dry so we could unpack.