What Size TV for Master Bedroom?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Starfish

Re: What Size TV for Master Bedroom?

Post by Starfish »

No TV or the largest TV that fits. There is no downside in having a large TV. 12ft is enough to accommodate any "normal" TV.
Also between a decent (say QLED) bigger and and a smaller but better quality (like OLED) TV, bigger is better.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:01 pm This is exactly the dilemma. I guess my question boils down to this: what’s the biggest size tv that would work for a bedroom without looking silly?

How would a large black piece of glass on a wall look silly?
I would prioritize how it looks when is on, not off.
drgenefish

Post by drgenefish »

not sure on sizing but have you tried / considered an iPad Pro? get a nice case and you can put it on your lap and move it around and get comfy. can use earplugs if needed. pretty handy for other things too.

i have the ipad pro 12.9" with the keyboard case...so it sits horizontal no problem. I like being able to move around / vary my position if i'm watching something so i'm not sitting still too long.

another useful feature is it has a dimming mode for night time.
Topic Author
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

drgenefish wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:46 pm not sure on sizing but have you tried / considered an iPad Pro? get a nice case and you can put it on your lap and move it around and get comfy. can use earplugs if needed. pretty handy for other things too.

i have the ipad pro 12.9" with the keyboard case...so it sits horizontal no problem. I like being able to move around / vary my position if i'm watching something so i'm not sitting still too long.

another useful feature is it has a dimming mode for night time.
I've got a 12.9" iPad Pro and it's great for some things but I don't typically watch shows or movies on it except when traveling. We're looking at a TV that my wife and I could watch together. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

an_asker wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:28 pm
Krm45 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:55 pm In true Bogglehead fashion, I still have my 19" Quazar (circa 1990) in our bedroom. I don't watch it much, but it's still working.
You and I :-)

Our main TV is like 20-something inches! I don't mind watching movies on my smartphone lol.

PS: Sorry, I lied :-( The correct numbers - after a measurement - are 24" in bedroom and 39" in front room. I guess I haven't really kept track of TV sizes :oops:
You have to pay now to rid yourself of tube TVs, it used to be free. You should consider divesting yourself of your tube TVs now before no one will take them, at any price.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

Nicolas wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:07 pm
an_asker wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:28 pm
Krm45 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:55 pm In true Bogglehead fashion, I still have my 19" Quazar (circa 1990) in our bedroom. I don't watch it much, but it's still working.
You and I :-)

Our main TV is like 20-something inches! I don't mind watching movies on my smartphone lol.

PS: Sorry, I lied :-( The correct numbers - after a measurement - are 24" in bedroom and 39" in front room. I guess I haven't really kept track of TV sizes :oops:
You have to pay now to rid yourself of tube TVs, it used to be free. You should consider divesting yourself of your tube TVs now before no one will take them, at any price.
Sorry my bad. Our TVs are not that old. I was referring to the small sizes of our TVs being common to previous poster, not the technology! :sharebeer
Topic Author
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

It took me 14 months since I first started this thread but I finally got a TV for the bedroom. We ended up going with a 65" Samsung TV (model: UN65CU7000BXZA) purchased through Walmart. It cost $398 and mounting was $79. The total came to $518 but I used a credit card offering 5% back so it was actually $492 for the TV plus installation. I used an old mount that I already had around the house and spent about $30 on an HDMI switch and some HDMI cords.

I had to play with the advanced settings on the TV to get it to look the way that I like it. My eyes are even worse than they were when I first posted so I'm glad that I went with a larger size. I watch a lot of tennis and the ball looks big and clear on the 65" tv.

Walmart sent a local (Bay Area) handyman that they contract with to do the installation. He had time after the job to do other work around the house for us. We got to talking and turns out that I teach at the elementary school he went to as a kid. I work in a different town from where I live (about 45 minutes away on the highway) so it really is a small world, I suppose. Anyway, it took him an hour to do the other tasks and he only charged me $35 as he said he was already at my house.

Overall, it was a great experience and I'm happy with the TV so far. Thank you to everyone who commented on this thread and provided guidance.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

snackdog wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:39 pm Apparently a tv in the bedroom can make you sleepless, sick and fat.

https://eachnight.com/sleep/tv-in-bedroom/
Ironically, I didn't start having trouble sleeping, get fat, or develop a persistent cough until 5+ years after we completely stopped using our bedroom TV before bed. :wink:

To answer the thread question though, ours is a 65" and it worked well for us when we used it. Now it pretty much only gets used when others in the house are in use, or if using one in the common areas would be distracting. Maybe 20 hours per year at most. If it failed tomorrow I wouldn't replace it.