Wood workers - How to remove rotten banana smell from wood bowl?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
goshenBogle

Wood workers - How to remove rotten banana smell from wood bowl?

Post by goshenBogle »

I have a beautiful wild cherry wooden bowl in which I was storing some bananas. Unfortunately one of the bananas rotted and the liquid from the rotten banana seeped into the wood. The liquid stained the bowl and the bowl smells of rotten banana. (My wife thinks it smells like vinegar. I think it smells like banana.)

The process I was going to follow to repair the bowl:
(1) Lightly sand the bowl with 220 grit sandpaper to (hopefully) remove most of the stain
(2) Either wipe the bowl with 1 part white vinegar to 5 parts water OR rub half a lemon over the bowl surface --- which of these 2 methods is better?
(3) Let the bowl sit for approx. 2 minutes
(4) Rinse the bowl thoroughly in warm water

Please critique the above process!!

Or better yet provide a better process!!

Thank you!!!!
Retired and loving it!!!!
DinkinFlicka

Re: Wood workers - How to remove rotten banana smell from wood bowl?

Post by DinkinFlicka »

Do you know what the bowl was finished with originally?
Rocky Mtn Man

Post by Rocky Mtn Man »

I've used 95% ethanol to remove organic smells from items that hold food or water. Otherwise known as Everclear or similar at the friendly local liquor store.

Do not use ethanol stove fuel, as it has a bittering agent in it to avoid liquor tax and regulations.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

If thick enough, put in on a lathe and gouge it thinner, refinish, to remove both the smell and stain.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

goshenBogle wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:06 pm I have a beautiful wild cherry wooden bowl in which I was storing some bananas. Unfortunately one of the bananas rotted and the liquid from the rotten banana seeped into the wood. The liquid stained the bowl and the bowl smells of rotten banana. (My wife thinks it smells like vinegar. I think it smells like banana.)

The process I was going to follow to repair the bowl:
(1) Lightly sand the bowl with 220 grit sandpaper to (hopefully) remove most of the stain
(2) Either wipe the bowl with 1 part white vinegar to 5 parts water OR rub half a lemon over the bowl surface --- which of these 2 methods is better?
(3) Let the bowl sit for approx. 2 minutes
(4) Rinse the bowl thoroughly in warm water

Please critique the above process!!

Or better yet provide a better process!!

Thank you!!!!
Hydrogen peroxide cleans wood (like mold from musical instruments) without destroying the finish as alcohol wood. Even though I’ve used this method often with good results I would progress slowly on your bowl with HP on a soft rag to see how it goes.

Then if necessary (or even as the primary method) I would oil with purified (not boiled) linseed or almond oil, which will also penetrate and clean the wood.

You might first try something simple and handy: cooking oil like corn, vegetable, canola, or olive oil. These oils are natural disinfectants and it’s possible that’s all you’ll need!

Alcohol quickly dissolves wood finishes. Vinegar is an acid and will thus eventually darken the wood. Sanding abrades the finish.

If the banana was there long enough to darken (acid stain) the wood it’s probably pretty deep.
Jungle

Post by Jungle »

This is a tough one as the odor likely seeped well into the wood. Most wood projects I've had this happen to, painting them was the easiest solution. I'd use BIN shellac as the primer, then a urethane-based paint as the top coat. BIN seals in these type of odors very well. However, based on the type of wood and use case, it doesn't sound like painting the object would be desired.
65% US Stock, 7% MCV, 6% SCV, 22% Int Stock
Uniballer

Post by Uniballer »

Natural banana flavor comes largely from isoamyl acetate. Acetone should do a good job dissolving that, but you have to question whether the wood will be safe for use with food afterwards.

White distilled vinegar is likely to help break down other rotting food odors.

I would probably replace the bowl with something less porous for storing fruit.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

You could try putting it in direct, unfiltered sunlight for a week or so then evaluate the smell. UV can work wonders.
45% Total Stock Market | 52% Consumer Staples | 3% Short Term Reserves
CaptainT

Post by CaptainT »

Rub with a paste of baking soda and dish soap. Baking soda removes a ton of odors