Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Tamalak

Re: Two Comma Club

Post by Tamalak »

Tamalak wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:53 am Today, with this small market increase, I joined the two comma club at the age of 38 :sharebeer

It's so good to know that no matter what happens with my employment, I'll be okay. Money is freedom.
The above two comma club lasted EXACTLY ONE DAY.

16 months later, I have rejoined it :sharebeer (let's see if I can hold it for longer this time)
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Tamalak wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:35 am
Tamalak wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:53 am Today, with this small market increase, I joined the two comma club at the age of 38 :sharebeer

It's so good to know that no matter what happens with my employment, I'll be okay. Money is freedom.

16 months later, I have rejoined it :sharebeer (let's see if I can hold it for longer this time)
Yes, many of us hit our all time highs around 1/3/22, when you hit the two comma club for the first time.

I’m glad that you stayed the course and have regained that high water mark. With over $1 million at (now) age 39, you’ll be just fine as you continue to save and invest wisely.

Congratulations!
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Tamalak wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:35 am

Congratulations :D
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
GhostMang

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by GhostMang »

Were getting close the past couple months so ran the numbers yesterday and we are a two comma club household for the first time. Going to be watching the dance back and forth for awhile I'm sure.

Not important, changes nothing as far as lifestyle, but just fun to see the progress. Celebrated with a pizza.
BPnWhiskey

Post by BPnWhiskey »

Celebrating a good run for us.

A little over a decade ago, we had a net worth of roughly -50k (negative). Recently, retirement assets have hit ATH of >275k and debt is now <30k. If we include non-retirement assets (emergency fund, etc.) our NW is now over $250k, a move to the plus of 300k over this span of years. We are not high income. In addition, we’ve had kids go through good universities and launch successfully.

Thanks for letting me celebrate with a forum that has taught me so much! And special thanks to Mike Piper, through whose terrific blog (https://obliviousinvestor.com/) I found BH. I don't remember how I stumbled on his great content, but I sure am grateful.

[Link fixed by admin LadyGeek]
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

GhostMang wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 12:27 pm Were getting close the past couple months so ran the numbers yesterday and we are a two comma club household for the first time. Going to be watching the dance back and forth for awhile I'm sure.

Not important, changes nothing as far as lifestyle, but just fun to see the progress. Celebrated with a pizza.
Congratulations :D .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
luminous

Post by luminous »

BPnWhiskey wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:18 pm Celebrating a good run for us.

A little over a decade ago, we had a net worth of roughly -50k (negative). Recently, retirement assets have hit ATH of >275k and debt is now <30k. If we include non-retirement assets (emergency fund, etc.) our NW is now over $250k, a move to the plus of 300k over this span of years. We are not high income. In addition, we’ve had kids go through good universities and launch successfully.

Thanks for letting me celebrate with a forum that has taught me so much! And special thanks to Mike Piper, through whose terrific blog (https://obliviousinvestor.com/) I found BH. I don't remember how I stumbled on his great content, but I sure am grateful.
Congratulations!
67/12/21 US stock/international stock/bonds. Bonds capped at 10x annual spending. Semi-retired as of 2022.
GhostMang

Post by GhostMang »

ruralavalon wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:38 pm
GhostMang wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 12:27 pm Were getting close the past couple months so ran the numbers yesterday and we are a two comma club household for the first time. Going to be watching the dance back and forth for awhile I'm sure.

Congratulations :D .
Thank you! :sharebeer
CarpeDiem22

Post by CarpeDiem22 »

CarpeDiem22 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:34 pm Household investments just crossed $100k for the first time. I'm 33 and DW's 32. Since I belong to the third world, just for reference, this is equivalent to about $400k in the US in PPP terms. Most of this has been accumulated in last 3 years since I started reading Bogleheads. Thanks for all the wisdom, folks. No other forum on the internet compares to this.
Household investments doubled and crossed $200k for the first time. Took a little less than 3 years.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

CarpeDiem22 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:23 am
Household investments doubled and crossed $200k for the first time. Took a little less than 3 years.
That’s wonderful!

Congratulations.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Jungle

Post by Jungle »

Ran my net worth numbers today and hit 188K in retirement accounts and 482K overall. Not quite milestones since those are not round numbers, but should be able to hit my goals of 200K invested, 500K NW in 3-5 months
65% US Stock, 7% MCV, 6% SCV, 22% Int Stock
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

CarpeDiem22 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:34 pm Household investments just crossed $100k for the first time. I'm 33 and DW's 32. Since I belong to the third world, just for reference, this is equivalent to about $400k in the US in PPP terms. Most of this has been accumulated in last 3 years since I started reading Bogleheads. Thanks for all the wisdom, folks. No other forum on the internet compares to this.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Jungle wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:12 am Ran my net worth numbers today and hit 188K in retirement accounts and 482K overall. Not quite milestones since those are not round numbers, but should be able to hit my goals of 200K invested, 500K NW in 3-5 months
Very good.

Hopefully you’ll cross those milestones before the end of 2023.

Congratulations!
Jungle

Post by Jungle »

Stinky wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:24 am
Jungle wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:12 am Ran my net worth numbers today and hit 188K in retirement accounts and 482K overall. Not quite milestones since those are not round numbers, but should be able to hit my goals of 200K invested, 500K NW in 3-5 months
Very good.

Hopefully you’ll cross those milestones before the end of 2023.

Congratulations!
Appreciate it. Just want to hit 500K as "half a million" has a nice ring to it :sharebeer
65% US Stock, 7% MCV, 6% SCV, 22% Int Stock
JS-Elcano

Post by JS-Elcano »

dvvader wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:28 pm Wife and I recently crossed over $1M net worth including home equity! I don't normally track home equity but thought we might be close to this milestone so checked it out, turns out we were! Both age 33, 4 kids, single (high) income. Feels good, but will feel really good when investment balances cross this threshold, hopefully in 2-3 years.
Congratulations! It was only in July 2021 that I reached that milestone, but in my late 40s not 30s like you(!), and I remember that it put a nice wide grin on my face. I don't have anyone to talk to about this so to have this thread was nice to have a little celebratory moment. Since then, my goal has also been to reach 1M in investments, which I think is the milestone that will feel more significant because I have no intention of selling my house, so including the equity felt to me like a bit of voodoo accounting. Last year put a bit of a wrench into getting there quickly, but such years are always part of the investing path, so I didn't feel too bad about it. That I saved so much that my NW never dipped below 1M again felt like an accomplishment in itself. Might reach the 1M in investments at the end of this year or next year or... We shall see :beer
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

Finished the last item on our IPS, bought a transition to retirement home and sold our current home. Quite an adventure the past 6 months but glad we had a solid plan that worked for us. Now time for us to enjoy retirement!
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
CarpeDiem22

Post by CarpeDiem22 »

Stinky wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:04 am
That’s wonderful!

Congratulations.
Thank you!
ruralavalon wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:13 am
Thank you!
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

radiowave wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:05 am Finished the last item on our IPS, bought a transition to retirement home and sold our current home. Quite an adventure the past 6 months but glad we had a solid plan that worked for us. Now time for us to enjoy retirement!
Welcome to retirement.

Congratulations!
mouth

Post by mouth »

mouth wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:11 pm I DID IT!!!

Not only did I have to pay NIIT this year but I crossed into Additional Medicare Tax territory this year.

Yeah bittersweet to say the least. But as many say, very good problems to have. :sharebeer
Two "milestones" this past week.
- I've finally crossed the $200k line for salary!!! That plus bonus, military retirement, and VA payment puts me circa $300k+ :sharebeer
- But even more important, after adjusting my portfolio for taxes (taxable, Roth, 401k/TSP) I have over $1M in my brokerage account !!!

I just got back from a 2 week vacation and the second one is REALLY weighing on me ... I just don't have to work anymore if I believe all the numbers. I'm over 40x full living and playing expenses (basically just removing savings and work lunches). Even if the market took a 50% haircut on equities I'd still be at 26x.

I'm having a really hard time restarting the "work-engine" and am starting to wonder if it's time to start my third act. I'm 50, play soccer, love dogs, used to hike a lot more before my post-military job took so much time away and am wondering what's next because while I have interests and hobbies and friends, I'd for sure need "something" to get my off the couch/out from behind the screen. Complicating factor, my SO can't retire yet.

Anyway, I'm not looking to turn this into a One-More-Year post :shock: but I needed a place to say the above "out loud" since there isn't really anyone else I can share it with. Least of all my fellow FIRE buddy who's just had a bit of a set-back in his plans with a layoff. :( Sort of messing with me head too. We also still haven't gotten the point of sharing numbers, just big picture plans, methods, overall progress.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

mouth wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:21 am . . . . .

- I've finally crossed the $200k line for salary!!! That plus bonus, military retirement, and VA payment puts me circa $300k+ :sharebeer
- But even more important, after adjusting my portfolio for taxes (taxable, Roth, 401k/TSP) I have over $1M in my brokerage account !!!

I just got back from a 2 week vacation and the second one is REALLY weighing on me ... I just don't have to work anymore if I believe all the numbers. I'm over 40x full living and playing expenses (basically just removing savings and work lunches). Even if the market took a 50% haircut on equities I'd still be at 26x.

I'm having a really hard time restarting the "work-engine" and am starting to wonder if it's time to start my third act. I'm 50, play soccer, love dogs, used to hike a lot more before my post-military job took so much time away and am wondering what's next because while I have interests and hobbies and friends, I'd for sure need "something" to get my off the couch/out from behind the screen. Complicating factor, my SO can't retire yet.

Anyway, I'm not looking to turn this into a One-More-Year post :shock: but I needed a place to say the above "out loud" since there isn't really anyone else I can share it with. Least of all my fellow FIRE buddy who's just had a bit of a set-back in his plans with a layoff. :( Sort of messing with me head too. We also still haven't gotten the point of sharing numbers, just big picture plans, methods, overall progress.
Congratulations :happy .

Do find some non-work activities to enhance your enjoyment of life. Do you use all the of your annual vacation allowance? Perhaps another vacation is in order, or adding a hobby.
billlumber1981

Post by billlumber1981 »

Well, I guess I am a millionaire at age 33 (including home equity).

Homes in my neighborhood are selling in the upper 500s, the county assessed value for property taxes is exactly 500k, and so if I be extra conservative and use a 450k selling price, subtract 6% realtor commission, then subtract what I owe on the mortgage, I come up with 95k home equity.

902k stocks
13k cash money market fund
95k home equity

1,010,000 net worth

I don’t normally like including home equity because it is so subjective, but I feel like this is such a conservative estimate that I think it’s safe to say I’m a millionaire by net worth. Though, I will feel more comfortable calling myself a millionaire once investable assets reach $1MM, which should hopefully be in the next year or so.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

billlumber1981 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:56 pm Well, I guess I am a millionaire at age 33 (including home equity).

Homes in my neighborhood are selling in the upper 500s, the county assessed value for property taxes is exactly 500k, and so if I be extra conservative and use a 450k selling price, subtract 6% realtor commission, then subtract what I owe on the mortgage, I come up with 95k home equity.

902k stocks
95k home equity

1,010,000 net worth

I don’t normally like including home equity because it is so subjective, but I feel like this is such a conservative estimate that I think it’s safe to say I’m a millionaire by net worth. Though, I will feel more comfortable calling myself a millionaire once investable assets reach $1MM, which should hopefully be in the next year or so.
Congratulations! Home equity is real and should be included in your net worth computation.

Great accomplishment at such a young age. You’re crushing it!
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

billlumber1981 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:56 pm Well, I guess I am a millionaire at age 33 (including home equity).

902k stocks
95k home equity

1,010,000 net worth

Yes, you are a millionaire. At age 33.

Congratulations!
mouth

Post by mouth »

ruralavalon wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:28 am
mouth wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:21 am . . . . .

Congratulations :happy .

Do find some non-work activities to enhance your enjoyment of life. Do you use all the of your annual vacation allowance? Perhaps another vacation is in order, or adding a hobby.
Thanks. I'd say I have a fair amount of non-work activities. I play soccer 3x a week, have a reasonable group of social friends (many from soccer), have a few other hobbies, like being handy around the house (always a project to be done when i find the time), etc. I get 30 days a year + 11 holidays; I typically lose like 5 days PTO a year mostly because my SO gets like half that. We usually take two 2-week vacations a year (Europe and beach) and maybe a pair of long weekends.

I don't think I lack taking time off (my WLB is frankly pretty good for someone in Consulting), but my motivation to care about the things I'm being ask to do is dwindling fast. It's actually the people I'm working with that are probably the only reason I'm still doing it! Okay to be fair part of the problem is the job doesn't always allow for disconnecting at the end of the day / weekend; and that's part of the reason I don't think more vacations will help. Sure I disconnect during them, but it doesn't make up for being "on" so much the rest of the time. It's just a bit of a grind.

I'm considering volunteering at the local dog shelter to see how I like that.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

902k stocks
95k home equity

1,010,000 net worth

I am much the same way, did not consider us "millionaires" until our portfolio hit 7-figures. Either way, absolutely smashing it. When I was 33, wife and I combined were worth maybe $250k and I could not even imagine ever hitting 7-figures; 9yrs later and we have hit the mark two times over. Stay the path for a handful of more years and you'll never have to worry about money ever again.
mouth

Post by mouth »

902k stocks
95k home equity

1,010,000 net worth

Congrats!!! Like other's have said, it counts. Not the least of which given not only how conservative you said you were, but how little of your NW is home equity anyway.

But I also hear ya. When I hit the same milestone as you I was like, "okay now to make it to $1M excluding home." Then "$1M in my brokerage", and now finally for my own recent milestone, "$1M in tax adjusted brokerage value." My next goal is "$1M in retirement accounts" because 28% of my brokerage is taxable. At my current rate I hope to hit the next milestone by end of next year. But it's more market dependent than anything else because I can only contribute $37.5K/y. And fact is, I'm far more likely to mostly stop working before then which means no more 401k or backdoor Roth
bugleheadd

Post by bugleheadd »

430k Jan 2020 right before covid crash, covid low of about 360k. Was on the cusp of reaching $1m year end 2021...around 900k, then hit low of 720k in q3 2022, now back up to 950k Friday. maxing out pretax 401k, trad or Roth, HSA every year past 8 years. Another 30k in mbr/taxable every year past 5 years. 99% holdings in us total stock or sp 500
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

bugleheadd wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:32 am 430k Jan 2020 right before covid crash, covid low of about 360k. Was on the cusp of reaching $1m year end 2021...around 900k, then hit low of 720k in q3 2022, now back up to 950k Friday. maxing out pretax 401k, trad or Roth, HSA every year past 8 years. Another 30k in mbr/taxable every year past 5 years. 99% holdings in us total stock or sp 500
Congratulations on continuing maximum annual contributions to all tax-advantaged accounts plus another $30k annually :D, despite the volatility of the last few years.

Staying the course pays off.
billlumber1981

Post by billlumber1981 »

bugleheadd wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:32 am 430k Jan 2020 right before covid crash, covid low of about 360k. Was on the cusp of reaching $1m year end 2021...around 900k, then hit low of 720k in q3 2022, now back up to 950k Friday. maxing out pretax 401k, trad or Roth, HSA every year past 8 years. Another 30k in mbr/taxable every year past 5 years. 99% holdings in us total stock or sp 500

Impressive. We have an almost identical trajectory. I was at 470k in Feb 2020. Not sure what the trough was at but by late 2020 it had grown to 650k or so. End of 2021 I was at 935k so very close to 1MM too. As I said in my previous post I’m at 915k currently. If the market returned to its peak I would be at 1,040,000. Been saving 40k per year or so.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

It sounds like you’ve stayed the course through a pretty rough patch. Kudos to you for doing that.

I expect that you’ll be at $1 million in short order.

Congratulations!
batman

Post by batman »

I hope it counts to say that I have hit the comma club?

At least in USD I did cross it this week! As European citizen, I have a little bit to go to hit the EUR two comma (60K).

I am now 34 and my annual contribution is ca. 50K.

I wonder what’s possible in the next 5 years!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

batman wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:28 pm I hope it counts to say that I have hit the comma club?

At least in USD I did cross it this week! As European citizen, I have a little bit to go to hit the EUR two comma (60K).

I am now 34 and my annual contribution is ca. 50K.

I wonder what’s possible in the next 5 years!
Congratulations :D , at age 34 two commas in either currency is worth a celebration.
dvvader

Post by dvvader »

JS-Elcano wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:39 am
dvvader wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:28 pm Wife and I recently crossed over $1M net worth including home equity! I don't normally track home equity but thought we might be close to this milestone so checked it out, turns out we were! Both age 33, 4 kids, single (high) income. Feels good, but will feel really good when investment balances cross this threshold, hopefully in 2-3 years.
Congratulations! It was only in July 2021 that I reached that milestone, but in my late 40s not 30s like you(!), and I remember that it put a nice wide grin on my face. I don't have anyone to talk to about this so to have this thread was nice to have a little celebratory moment. Since then, my goal has also been to reach 1M in investments, which I think is the milestone that will feel more significant because I have no intention of selling my house, so including the equity felt to me like a bit of voodoo accounting. Last year put a bit of a wrench into getting there quickly, but such years are always part of the investing path, so I didn't feel too bad about it. That I saved so much that my NW never dipped below 1M again felt like an accomplishment in itself. Might reach the 1M in investments at the end of this year or next year or... We shall see :beer
Thanks! $1M in investments will feel really good! Can't wait to get there! Best of luck to you!
Bogleheads® emphasize regular saving, broad diversification, and sticking to one's investment plan regardless of market conditions.
dvvader

Post by dvvader »

902k stocks
95k home equity

1,010,000 net worth

Hey! A twin! Congrats!

Home equity makes up a larger portion of my net worth (~33%). You are doing an awesome job saving and stuffing your retirement/brokerage accounts! Keep it up!
Bogleheads® emphasize regular saving, broad diversification, and sticking to one's investment plan regardless of market conditions.
supersharpie

Post by supersharpie »

My wife and I (both 39) have had a net worth, including home equity, north of $1,000,000 for about two years now.

Today I felt strongly compelled to check our investment balances for the first time in over a year.

Well, lo and behold, our investment balances topped $1,000,000 for the first time ever as of COB yesterday. The vast majority of this is in our 401k and Roth IRA accounts.

We just started taxable investing earlier this year, which at present only accounts for about 2% of our total balance. We have some work to do in that area, but it seems we are well on our way to our goal of FIRE by 50.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

supersharpie wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:51 am My wife and I (both 39) have had a net worth, including home equity, north of $1,000,000 for about two years now.

Today I felt strongly compelled to check our investment balances for the first time in over a year.

Well, lo and behold, our investment balances topped $1,000,000 for the first time ever as of COB yesterday. The vast majority of this is in our 401k and Roth IRA accounts.

We just started taxable investing earlier this year, which at present only accounts for about 2% of our total balance. We have some work to do in that area, but it seems we are well on our way to our goal of FIRE by 50.
That sounds absolutely excellent. Millionaires before age 40!

Keep saving and investing.

Congratulations.
supersharpie

Post by supersharpie »

Thanks!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

supersharpie wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:51 am My wife and I (both 39) have had a net worth, including home equity, north of $1,000,000 for about two years now.

Congratulations on joining the 2 comma club :D .

Keep it up.
supersharpie

Post by supersharpie »

ruralavalon wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:52 pm

Congratulations on joining the 2 comma club :D .

Keep it up.
:sharebeer
INTJVirgo

Post by INTJVirgo »

Hit the 2-comma club (net worth: investments $756K, conservative home equity $250K) today at age 48. This milestone still means a lot to me despite the comparatively lower value vs. years past. I come from very humble beginnings with an amazing single mom who was as smart as a whip and taught me frugality and responsibility. Despite having an advanced degree, I only made 6 figures once I started my own business last year out of frustration with being underpaid and underappreciated throughout my career. I raised my daughter mostly as a single parent after a divorce when she was young. I put her through college with no debt; she has launched and is doing well. I drive an 18-year-old car and have been frugal all my life. Discovered Bogleheads about 6 years ago, which helped me clean up some of my plans to reach this day. So proud of my sacrifices and thankful that I can post here to celebrate a bit. I cannot safely share this news with anyone in my personal life. Next stop, paying off the mortgage (about 22K) and then (fingers crossed) onto 1 million in investable assets. Many thanks to this wonderful community!!
Last edited by INTJVirgo on Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

INTJVirgo wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:47 pm Hit the 2-comma club (net worth: investments $756K, conservative home equity $250K) today at age 48. This milestone still means a lot to me despite the comparatively lower value vs. years past. I come from very humble beginnings with an amazing single mom who was smart as a whip and taught me frugality and responsibility. Despite having an advanced degree, I only made 6 figures once I started my own business last year out of frustration with being underpaid and underappreciated throughout my career. I raised my daughter mostly as a single parent after a divorce when she was young. I put her through college with no debt; she has launched and is doing well. I drive an 18-year-old car and have been frugal all my life. Discovered Bogleheads about 6 years ago, which helped me clean up some of my plans to reach this day. So proud of my sacrifices and thankful that I can post here to celebrate a bit. I cannot safely share this news with anyone in my personal life. Next stop, paying off the mortgage (about 22K) and then (fingers crossed) onto 1 million in investable assets. Many thanks to this wonderful community!!
What an inspiring story you have. Congratulations!

With your increased income and your daughter out of the nest and into the world, you should be able to save even more in future years. I expect that you should have a "financially comfortable" retirement.

Great work!
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

INTJVirgo wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:47 pm Hit the 2-comma club (net worth: investments $756K, conservative home equity $250K) today at age 48. This milestone still means a lot to me despite the comparatively lower value vs. years past. I come from very humble beginnings with an amazing single mom who was smart as a whip and taught me frugality and responsibility. Despite having an advanced degree, I only made 6 figures once I started my own business last year out of frustration with being underpaid and underappreciated throughout my career. I raised my daughter mostly as a single parent after a divorce when she was young. I put her through college with no debt; she has launched and is doing well. I drive an 18-year-old car and have been frugal all my life. Discovered Bogleheads about 6 years ago, which helped me clean up some of my plans to reach this day. So proud of my sacrifices and thankful that I can post here to celebrate a bit. I cannot safely share this news with anyone in my personal life. Next stop, paying off the mortgage (about 22K) and then (fingers crossed) onto 1 million in investable assets. Many thanks to this wonderful community!!
Nicely done and congratulations!
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

As someone with a similar story, a very heartfelt congrats :sharebeer
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

This is absolutely fantastic. In your post, I can see you have a determination and “grit” to succeed and thrive, which is every bit as impressive as the numbers of the balance sheet. And your numbers are great.

All the best!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Congratulations on putting your daughter through college without debt, your frugal lifestyle, starting your own business, and a two comma net worth at age 48 :D .

You are doing very well, keep it up.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
coopermonster

Post by coopermonster »

On June 2, 2023, exactly one month after my wife was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer, she (39) and I (41) hit $1MM in investments and $1.4MM net worth.

When we first got together in 2010 we were 29 and 27 and had a negative net worth of -$50k (student loans and credit card debt). She had $18k in retirement accounts and I had $0. Thankfully we soon discovered the Bogleheads philosophy and the rest is history.

It took us 10 years to hit $500k in investments (2010-2020) and then 3 years to hit $1MM (2023).

We benefited greatly from starting our own business in 2018 and from the ensuing increase in income and the opportunity to make employer profit sharing contributions to our Solo 401k. We were also incredibly fortunate to inherit $150k in 2018, which we used as a down payment on our house.

We’ve been diligent savers, but we could have saved significantly more. My dad died at 62 before ever making it to retirement (as did his dad) and I’ve always been terrified of that happening, so we’ve balanced working hard + saving for retirement + making smart decisions with spending a good deal of money on things that bring us genuine joy.

We bought a gorgeous too-big-for-2-people house in the redwoods, but did so after moving from the Bay Area to an area with a much lower cost of living. We bought a new SUV and splurged on the highest trim with all the bells and whistles, but it’s a Toyota hybrid and we’ve been a one-car family for 11 years. We’ve traveled the world scuba diving and exploring tropical islands and staying in fancy hotel rooms on honeymoon-like vacations, but we worked our butts off in between those trips.

My wife’s prognosis is sobering (less than 6 months without treatment, 50/50 chance that the first-line treatment will work), but she’s young, strong, otherwise healthy, and we’re hopeful.

We’re taking her immediate family to Maui next week, 8 of us in total. It’s an expensive trip that we bought everyone as a Christmas present. We canceled it when she was first diagnosed and hospitalized last month, but we rebooked everything this week since she’s feeling stronger and we have a window between treatments and we don’t know what the future holds.

Reaching the “two comma club” is a milestone we’re proud of, but if there’s a lesson here, it’s to plan and save for tomorrow while also living like there’s no tomorrow, because there might not be.

Thank you to the Bogleheads community for your wisdom and advice over the years. I might not reply to responses (this felt like a milestone worth acknowledging and typing this out has been cathartic, but even small things in life become overwhelming these days), but I truly appreciate you.
Last edited by coopermonster on Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

coopermonster so sorry for your wife's cancer diagnosis. Glad to see that you rebooked the family vacation on Maui.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Coopermonster, thank you for your touching post. I can only imagine the reality that you are living with your wife.

Congratulations on your financial progress. And enjoy Hawaii.

I’ll be praying for your wife’s full recovery.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Stinky wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:17 pm Coopermonster, thank you for your touching post. I can only imagine the reality that you are living with your wife.

& 1
Pinotage

Post by Pinotage »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:19 pm
Stinky wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:17 pm Coopermonster, thank you for your touching post. I can only imagine the reality that you are living with your wife.

& 1
And another.

Coopermonster - thank you for the authentic, and very personal post. Wishing you and your wife the absolute best and praying for your family.

Appreciate you sharing this reminder of true priorities.